Hi

My passport heats up for more than 24hrs not. Is that normal?

Ive been encrypting my sd card. Its now morethan 24hrs and im about 80% through.

Also ive install allot of headless apps that works at the backgroud.

Does the encrypting process make it heat up? Or the apps that run from the background?

My passport is just 3days old.

The heat is hot enough to feel burning sensation if its touch using your face skin. Heat is from upper right metal grill.

Is this normal?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 09:23 AM
    I have noticed that under heavy CPU loadings the area on the side bezel just under the volume button get warm.

I like this as it seems they used the frame as a heat sink to dissipate excess heat.

Encryption takes a lot of CPU power so I am not surprised your getting the heat but as for how long I am not sure. How large is the SD card and how full is it?

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 11:25 AM
    Your battery must be draining and causing a normal heating effect since you've been encrypting your card and using your phone, and I imagine you have it on a charger as well.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 11:29 AM
    I doubt it's normal that encryption takes this long. Encyption on my PP (64 GB sd card) took about 20 minutes. Did you format the card prior to encryption?

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 11:37 AM
    I have a theory about the screen splitting... I really hope I am wrong but can you see if your screen is still firmly attached to the body, specially on the right or left bottom corner? If it is true that the glue used in some passport units to stick these two part together wasn't the best, maybe the heat reported by several passport owners can lead to this glue deterioration and then, the splitting... just wondering... and as someone else said, 24h for an encryption doesn't sound right

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 01:36 PM
    I have noticed that under heavy CPU loadings the area on the side bezel just under the volume button get warm.

I like this as it seems they used the frame as a heat sink to dissipate excess heat.

Encryption takes a lot of CPU power so I am not surprised your getting the heat but as for how long I am not sure. How large is the SD card and how full is it?

Posted via CB10
    Hi

Ic.. my sd card I think its 64gb or 32gb. its maybe half full since ive been transferring from phone to phone with out formatting the card.

Encryption status bar shows its almost 100% done... but its been like that for I think 5hrs already..

It consumes a lot of battery..

If I pause and restart the phone will it disrupt the encryption and start again? I want to restart the phone to see if it will finish..

Passport Heats up one full day-img_20141027_062745.png

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 05:31 PM
    I doubt it's normal that encryption takes this long. Encyption on my PP (64 GB sd card) took about 20 minutes. Did you format the card prior to encryption?

Posted via CB10
    Hi didnt format the card since its full of files. Now im worried is the encryption fails I would lose my files. So I dont know if I should stop the encryption or pause it so I can rest the the from heating up.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 05:34 PM
    I sounds like your encryption process has failed and is stuck running at full power.

At this point I do not know what to say, I don't want to be the guy to say just reboot and you loose all your data.

It definitely should not take this long to encrypt the whole card, if I recall correctly it was about an hour for my 64Gb card
    10-26-14 05:36 PM
    It all depends on your card speed. It takes me 15 minutes to transfer 18 GB of music to my premium Lexar SD card while another user reported his took an hour to transfer 8 GB.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 05:38 PM
    Your battery must be draining and causing a normal heating effect since you've been encrypting your card and using your phone, and I imagine you have it on a charger as well.

Posted via CB10
    Its been draining. I just answer calls using bluetooth because its really hot. Now I placed the phone infront of my room aircon to lower the heat.

Passport Heats up one full day-img_20141027_063554.png

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 05:39 PM
    What kind of SD card class and brand are you using? Read and write speed is crucial and quality of the SD makes a difference in performance.

Hi didnt format the card since its full of files. Now im worried is the encryption fails I would lose my files. So I dont know if I should stop the encryption or pause it so I can rest the the from heating up.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 05:41 PM
    What kind of SD card class and brand are you using? Read and write speed is crucial and quality of the SD makes a difference in performance.
    Its a scandisk. And its not a fake.. if this fails I hope my files wont be wiped out! I would just have to transfer my files to a hardisk and format my sd and encrypt it clean so it will be faster. Then transfer back my file using usb cable attached to my passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 05:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sd card size 64gb. Its says its 43% used. As I checked data on the sd card is still accessible!. Ill just back it up before stopping the encryption or restarting the phone..

Passport Heats up one full day-img_20141027_065827.png

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 06:02 PM
    This phone does run warm, at least mine does. But not warm at the point where it's uncomfortable. The Z10 I used to have would get flat out hot. Sounds like something is running hard in the background causing the heat.
    10-26-14 06:17 PM
    Something similar happened here a few days back when I DEcrypted my phone incl the sd card because I wanted to run the 1418 update. The decryption process also got stuck at around 98% or so. I just reset the phone, and everything was ok. Not recommending you should do the same, but it may work. Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 08:59 PM
    Normal. Even laptops heat up during encryption...let alone a mobile phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 09:47 PM