• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Newsletter — sign up now! Learn More
    Not sure what happened, a while back it started having an issue. When I plug in to charge phone, it said it was unable to charge at the full speed, like it wasn't getting the voltage (?) correctly. Okay, I thought it was the charger/cord, but even switching to a different one I got the message. When I don't get the message, the charging speed is the same as the wireless charging speed, AKA it is slow charging.

Now the phone gets hot in the top right corner when using it for a short while doing nothing but having the screen on. I know it would get hot from it being on, but it's hotter than usual, like when you play a game, except the phone isn't playing a game but only has the screen on.

Also the battery drops quickly, using about 1%/5 minutes when I'm reading text and nothing else.

I'm not sure if the battery is broken and I can order a new one and replace it myself. Or if it is something more difficult to replace. I don't know if it is something with the charging port or CPU? Because of the charging not optimal message I get somethings, and the slow charging, I thought it might be something (like charging port?) besides battery but I'm not a phone tech so I don't know.

Thanks in advance for any help if anyone has this problem in the past.
    10-21-17 02:36 PM
    All these symptoms could point to something using power. I think maybe you have a naughty background app running.

Have you tried turning on battery saver?

Posted via CB10
    10-21-17 02:46 PM
    battery saver is always on, but it still drains quickly
    I don't have anything in background that I didn't have before the problem started.
    You suggesting I try to reformat the phone? I forget the term, reinstalling OS

edit: i looked just now, only non bb things running in background are parrot and headless torch apps, everything else is default and I don't know how to turn them off
    Last edited by eyeb; 10-21-17 at 03:21 PM.
    10-21-17 02:55 PM
    I've recently started having the same issues with power/charging. Now it's also started to act out of control, flicking screen and most of the time it's it's moving the screen on its own. Today I tried to connect to BBlink but it won't let me do a backup either. I'm afraid this awesome phone is terminal.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-17 07:39 PM
    battery saver is always on, but it still drains quickly
    I don't have anything in background that I didn't have before the problem started.
    You suggesting I try to reformat the phone? I forget the term, reinstalling OS

edit: i looked just now, only non bb things running in background are parrot and headless torch apps, everything else is default and I don't know how to turn them off
    Headless torch apps?

Reloading using the autoloader is pretty much going to fix any software problem, so if you do this then you will have a very good idea if the phone itself is faulty.

Search this forum for autoloader + whatever version you want. The latest is here

https://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-l...links-1098162/

Posted via CB10
    10-22-17 05:36 AM
    Like previously, reload your os. Either use autoloader or blackberry link. Continuous high heat on your phone can damage your phone permanently. Especially the mobile network.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-17 09:37 AM
    hm, reloading OS didn't help
    10-28-17 05:45 PM
    hm, reloading OS didn't help
    Even without any android app?

Posted from BlackBerry Passport.
    10-28-17 08:15 PM
    Yes, I'm trying the clean install without any android apps, battery still drops fairly quick. It can stay at 0% for a rather long time though
    10-29-17 07:09 PM
    Hi
    send a pic of device monitor (battery and CPU parts) so we can check power usage of phone!
    And in same time you can try reset the phone and see what is what!

Posted via CB10
    11-09-17 01:36 PM
    I did not have the charging issue you had, but I did install android apps by using cobalts method, and my bettery drained very fast. I decided to do a factory reset, and do without the android app, figuring that an android 4.0 runtime is just not worth the hassle, for whatever this is worth. Battery working normally again.

If you can't get to the bottom of your problem, you should consider a new phone, rather than going through the hassles. You can buy them brand new still for about $200.00 now adays.

I have had mine for 2 years, and the battery is still great. No issues at all.
    11-09-17 05:51 PM
    I don't think it's the battery anymore, it's the chip next to it on the right that gets hot.

I included a picture with the part circled in red, is this fixed to the phone or can I replace it?

Or does anyone know if it isn't a battery issue? I know that when I turn on phone, that part gets really hot, but I don't know what it does.
    Attached Thumbnails Passport having hardware problems, need help troubleshooting-1510888433548.jpg  
    11-16-17 09:24 PM
    Well I tried to imagine and find out mine is get hot at exactly same location which I suspect that would be SOC.(but not sure just an idea)

Posted via CB10
    11-17-17 11:42 AM
    There's CPU in the given part of the phone. It cannot be replaced without affecting motherboard, afaik.

Posted via CB10
    eyeb likes this.
    11-17-17 11:59 AM
    It's been a month but I'm finally got time to get back to this. Anyways, I'm not sure what happened, but after my last post where I opened the back cover. I took off the keyboard/camera and dusted them off, and after putting everything back together. The phone doesn't get hot anymore and the battery seems to be good again. It doesn't last as long as before, but I think that is normal battery degradation. At least I'm more confident in my skills to replace the battery at a later time if needed.

I'm keeping fingers crossed that the phone is "fixed", not sure what I did to it but everything is tightly connected again
    12-18-17 01:15 AM
    Maybe it was a connection which had worked itself loose. Glad it's behaving better than before and if you do decide to replace the battery keep us posted as that would be handy to know in case others (me) need to do the same ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    12-18-17 03:25 AM
    I'm not opposed to replacing the battery later, they seem fairly cheap at $20-30. I haven't managed to determine which one fits though, I see two varieties on ebay/amazon with the cable either on the sides or on the top. Haven't figured out which variant the passport uses and I forgot to look when I have the phone apart.

I don't feel the need to take it apart again to check so it won't be until I have a need to open it again.

If you need to replace the battery, the youtube videos are pretty spot on. I followed it and it worked, no prior experience taking phone apart so it's pretty ***** proof. Had to buy a set of the torx screwdriver but that was only cost to take it apart.
    12-18-17 09:42 PM
    Forgot to mention, the biggest time it gets hot/drops is when I play candy crush. It drops 1%/minute or so. No idea if this is normal but it seems in line from what I remember before I had the problem.

Same when I run GPS/maps. But I think it is screen being on/sun hitting screen.
    12-18-17 10:37 PM