I think it's really hit and miss, but I think that's largely due to the software. The camera app needs a lot of work, but it's easy enough to utilize the few tools it offers to take decent photos.
    12-16-14 01:54 PM
    Attachment 321092

Attachment 321093

Two images taken without any support (hand held). First few attempts produced bluey and very overexposed images no matter what scene mode was used. But once I forced flash to fire situation completely changed. In reality flash doesn't have any visible effect on images at this distance, but it triggers something in Passport digital mind that faster shutter and higher ISO would do better job than very slow shutter and low ISO. Daylight pictures look perfect, HDR especially

Attachment 321095

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for that tip, I will try it out soon

Posted from my flawless BlackBerry Passport
    12-16-14 02:10 PM
    Don't get it wrong... it's not necessarily the quality of the final photo that is the problem. It's getting it to take that photo in focus, not blurred, and relatively quickly that is the actual problem. Claiming that anyone is using the camera wrong, has to do some special procedure, or what have you rather then just taking the picture is asinine. It's a freakin' phone camera, all I want it to do is take a quick picture. QUICK being the important word.

See that great picture I would have had of my buddy holding a 6 foot long sturgeon... I don't have... why? Because the fish wasn't willing to cooperate while I waited for the camera to decide if it was going to focus or not. Instead I have a bunch of pictures of the inside of a boat... odd how no one else with a phone camera had any problems.

Actually, that was when I was running the official OS that came on the Passport... I am now running a leak and if anything it has improved the camera. Perhaps you shouldn't assume these sorts of things.
    This right here. I've taken some great pictures is all of my BB10 device (z10, q10 and now the passport). The issue I have is the set up time required for the passport. I mean i'm constantly adjust the focus to get a shot. The set up time is what I find annoying. Outside of this I don't disagree that great pictures can be produced.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 02:26 PM
    It's a phone not a camera!

When it comes to tools I'm a fan of the saying: "a jack of all trades is a master of none. "

My first BlackBerry devices did not have a camera;then they offered a a choice (always chose sans camera version); then it became standard (oh well, go with the flow).

A phone is for communication not replicating Henri Carrier-Bresson. Cameras on phones are sales gimmicks. Yes it is not as good as an iPhone camera but I didn't get this device to take pictures. I have my SLR for that. I bought to communicate. I concede that the camera is not great but it does function for the odd snap. If you want a phone, get a phone. If you want a camera, get a camera.

Stepping off my soap box now.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    12-16-14 02:31 PM
    In my experience, I couldn't disagree with the OP more. This is one of the best (if not THE best) cameras I have used on a handset.
    12-16-14 02:31 PM

When it comes to tools I'm a fan of the saying: "a jack of all trades is a master of none. "

My first BlackBerry devices did not have a camera;then they offered a a choice (always chose sans camera version); then it became standard (oh well, go with the flow).

A phone is for communication not replicating Henri Carrier-Bresson. Cameras on phones are sales gimmicks. Yes it is not as good as an iPhone camera but I didn't get this device to take pictures. I have my SLR for that. I bought to communicate. I concede that the camera is not great but it does function for the odd snap. If you want a phone, get a phone. If you want a camera, get a camera.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry but for some the Camera on a smartphone IS their one and only Camera - as makers of Point and Shoot Cameras will sadly tell you. Just got back from a Cruise.... five years ago everyone had these hybrid or low end DSLR Cameras (I had just spent $500 on a Cannon one myself). This time I rarely saw even a highend DSLR, most everyone was using their smartphone.... or unfortunate many were using their iPADs. People are different, and there were a few with what looked like VERY high end space age cameras... but they were by far the minority.

Try snapping a photo on your highend Henri Carrier-Bresson and then editing and posting it to Instagram within a few minutes (or at least by the time you reach the next port with affordable mobile service). That's what some today are more interested in...

And simply put how many of us know how to use a highend DSLR properly... Point and Shoot was what the majority of us could use. And my wife's iPhone 6 takes better pictures than any past Point and Shoot we ever owned.
    Naeg1995 and grungebetty like this.
    12-16-14 03:25 PM
    I have the same issue with slow focus. Very embarrassing.
    12-16-14 03:52 PM
    i just found this on the blackberry website,

Camera focus - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    andy957, ATMJOE and Hup55 like this.
    12-16-14 04:01 PM
    Bad huh

Attachment 321164
    Attached Thumbnails Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141216_221740.jpg  
    12-16-14 04:02 PM
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141216_221740.jpg

Bad huh

Posted via CB10
    You're missing the point that the OP and others are trying to make.

The issue is not the picture quality, we've all agreed that the quality is there. It's the set up time required in most cases to achieve that great shot.

Posted via CB10
    grungebetty and gson_ve like this.
    12-16-14 04:10 PM
    i just found this on the blackberry website,

Camera focus - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    Just in case no one actually wants to tap on the link.

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141216_171131.png

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 04:12 PM
    Oh and good eats! What's the side for tonight?

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 04:16 PM
    I love these threads, seems to be a real predictable script when someone is commenting negatively on the device.

"Works for me OP, must be you"

Notice all the pics are controlled setup shots where one could try many times to get the one that looks great? I have been embarrassed a couple of times now when taking pics in a group...from me having to tell them "wait let me try another" to "its a new phone just trying to figure it out" just to cover up the fuzzy action pics.

Don't get me wrong, some come through with amazing brilliance...I just don't try now when out with friends.

:facepalm:
    12-16-14 04:19 PM
    What I look in my phone's camera:

- does the camera application open fast? BlackBerry passport's camera app opens a lot faster than lumia (at least 920 and 1020)
    - does it take the shot quick? BlackBerry passport's camera app takes occasionally quickly photos, but sometimes it takes 3-5 second to focus well
    - does it take good pictures? BlackBerry passport takes good pictures

Other features that I like to have:

- I always take pictures and videos with best quality, but I would like to have easy and fast way to resize them
    - Share picture easily after the shot to whatsapp, email etc..

In my use and needs, Overall I give B+ to Passport camera and if they fix the focus to be faster for everyday Joe I will give it A.

I have had the phone now for two weeks and it's been a blast. Best phone I have ever had.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 04:48 PM

It is in fact a phone and not a camera... you are correct sir. That's why I don't expect it to work like a Nikon D300 or a Sony DSC TX30. For that very reason I would be perfectly fine with it taking some low quality grainy pictures. The thing is that there is the occasion I don't even get that... I get a blurry picture, a picture of something I don't want, or a missed opportunity. Because the camera isn't fast enough. That is the complaint being made. The only thing I expect out of a phone camera is speed and it fails miserably at that.
    12-16-14 05:24 PM
    Upgrade yout OS on leaked OS like 1151 or 1154 it will improve the camera
    12-16-14 05:27 PM
    I had problems when I used the Leaked versions . So when I returned the original OS, both the Blend, as the camera function normally.
    I compared some pictures and I think the Passport are better than the Z30 (I have both) .
    12-16-14 05:34 PM
    Not cool. I already have a blurry android phone and wanted to upgrade to a passport. I need autofocus to take pics of my kids.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-16-14 05:42 PM
    I have the latest leak on my Passport and the camera works great!

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 05:52 PM
    I seriously can't understand the mentality of people who choose to use a phone to record the growth and early life of a beloved offspring, rather than using the correct tool for doing such, which is a digital camera. What is wrong with you people?
    12-16-14 05:56 PM
    don't have any such problems with my passport pictures are quite clear
    12-16-14 05:57 PM
    Personally I think the camera itself, in terms of hardware and optics, is decent enough for a modern flagship, maybe even above average. However the software is kinda lacking. Today you can have the best camera module in the world, if the software isn't up to the task, the hardware is useless.

The focus is slow and often hunting, I've had two Passports so far, focus was really lacking compared to many other smartphones. That is not a new problem however, my Q10s also weren't good in this area. Yet IIRC I think it was a tad better than the new Passport.

The whole software got slow, changing the aspect ratio takes quite some time for example. Also resuming the cam could be a tad faster for my tastes.

When everything works, the Passport produces good pictures. Low-light is the only weakness, although better than the Q10. Then again: low-light is a weakness for virtually every smartphone, the Lumia 1020 can handle it quite decent with all those manual controls, dedicated shutter, the good image stabilisation and of course the real Xenon flash. But that phone is more or less built around that camera.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 06:01 PM
    He he...how can you say it's wrong. It's my opinion.

Like I said, still pics taken using PP cam...no problem. But pics that are moving? Ayay... I have a NIKON DSLR and a Panasonic Lumix GS6...but I want to take pics of my kids instantly. You know...Kodak moments (as one of the users mentioned). As I mentioned also...I use my Passport as my everyday phone and am very very happy with it. I also love taking pics of my one year old daughter, most of the time while carrying her, before leaving for work (I took pics of her using my Z10 and then Z30 every single day since the day she was born until she turned one).

Oh did I mention that I have been a loyal fan of BlackBerry since 2007? Oh...I did. No badmouthing of BlackBerry here...just expressing my opinion.

For people who claim that 'the Camera is worst'...I would suggest you to please visit the pictures taken with passport thread. I get beautiful pictures in my passport. I own a Canon SLR and I am very much pleased with the pictures from my passport.

Having said that, I agree that there is a glitch where autofocus cause issue and I have to manually re focus at times for the perfect shot and yeah because of the same reason, moving pictures are at times blurred in action mode too; but again it has nothing to do with the ultimate quality of pictures that PP produce normally. The said issue will be easily fixed by an update I can see. Somehow the title of this thread is wrong.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 06:24 PM
    I seriously can't understand the mentality of people who choose to use a phone to record the growth and early life of a beloved offspring, rather than using the correct tool for doing such, which is a digital camera. What is wrong with you people?
    Nothing is wrong. Like nothing is wrong with you either. To each his own. =)

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 06:31 PM
    Unfortunately that's what I have to do. Use my Z10 for pics instead of my Passport. How sad is that?

Posted via CB10
    He he...same here. Z10 and Z30.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 06:33 PM
535 12345 ...