Can only take still pics! Everything else that is moving...even just a slight movement...becomes blurry!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah!! Worse than the great camera on the BlackBerry Curve!!

Darn that 13mp camera!!

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    01-10-15 03:05 PM
    Why are all my photos sideways?

Rogers Blackberry Passport. BlackBerry Since 2006
    01-10-15 04:50 PM
    Maybe your camera wasn't installed right? I assume the passport doesn't rotate.
    01-10-15 05:00 PM
    At first, I felt the same way about the quality. However, when I tried using the spacebar for focusing and shooting, it seemed to be infinitely better.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 04:53 AM
    BlackBerry really need to improve in their camera section. Many phones out there with good sensors.

P0$ted via z10..
    01-11-15 05:31 AM
    Honestly, some of these alleged 'good' pics were so blurry I thought they were demonstrating the bad ones! It's pretty clear the pro camera lot aren't actually used to seeing what a decent (phone camera) shot actually looks like (it's actually kinda embarrassing that they think their shots are good).

I love my passport but the camera is terrible, I can maybe get an okay shot if I really think about it and it is STILL, not of a person but a thing that can't move, but for anything else - forget it. Coming from the amazing camera of my Samsung Note 3, it's atrocious. I really hope BB fix it soon.
    buwee likes this.
    01-11-15 06:05 AM
    Got no complain here
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20150106_205609_edit_edit.jpg
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20150110_213504.jpg
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20150110_115947.jpg
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20150109_183907.jpg
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20150109_083530_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 01:42 PM
    Honestly, some of these alleged 'good' pics were so blurry I thought they were demonstrating the bad ones! It's pretty clear the pro camera lot aren't actually used to seeing what a decent (phone camera) shot actually looks like (it's actually kinda embarrassing that they think their shots are good).

I love my passport but the camera is terrible, I can maybe get an okay shot if I really think about it and it is STILL, not of a person but a thing that can't move, but for anything else - forget it. Coming from the amazing camera of my Samsung Note 3, it's atrocious. I really hope BB fix it soon.
    It's also funny since CB compresses the images users posts so the pics are actually better! And I have no complaints on my pp camera

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 02:08 PM
    Got no complain here
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150106_205609_edit_edit.jpg 
Views:	865 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	326675

Name:	IMG_20150110_213504.jpg 
Views:	867 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	326676

Name:	IMG_20150110_115947.jpg 
Views:	862 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	326677

Name:	IMG_20150109_183907.jpg 
Views:	865 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	326679

Name:	IMG_20150109_083530_edit.jpg 
Views:	862 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	326680

Posted via CB10
    Great... a bunch more still pics which you had all the time in the world to take... which proves absolutely NOTHING!

Thanks for the clutter.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 04:40 PM
    I like the existence of this thread.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    01-11-15 05:48 PM
    It just shows that those people never read and understand what this thread is about. They just read the title, and post bunch of still pictures (which they may take very long time to focus) to show how great is the camera!

Posted via CB10
    buwee likes this.
    01-11-15 06:37 PM
    Reason why I included some photos, to show you how realistically and how clearly those clutters were captured using the PP camera.

You are very much welcome mate. Cheers!
    01-12-15 11:41 AM
    The title is so clear that even a kindergarten can understand. Those pictures simply backed my statement "Got no complain here". We don't have to troll around here.

By the way, can you name me a smartphone with perfect features?

Cheers!
    01-12-15 11:44 AM
    The title is so clear that even a kindergarten can understand. Those pictures simply backed my statement "Got no complain here". We don't have to troll around here.

Cheers!
    I can name you a smart phone that was supremely better... the old BlackBerry Z10. No excuse for BlackBerry making huge strides backwards with the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 12:09 PM

Cheers!
    The complaints are not that it is impossible to take good pics with Passport but rather that focus is an issue and clearly takes too long. Given the poor focusing performance there are certain types of scenes that are impossible to capture.

Cluttering up the thread with numerous still shots that we've agreed are possible does nothing to address the very poor focusing efficiency which makes some shots impossible.

And BTW we're talking about the same kinds of shots that could easily be taken on older Z10 models.

Posted via CB10
    grungebetty and kbz1960 like this.
    01-12-15 12:13 PM
    1. I missed a terrible number of shots due to the slow focus, or blurry image.

2. I miss a couple of good moments in social situations when people just don't wait for my passport to open the camera software, focus, check the image, discover it is blurry, ask them to hold still, retake the shot, check again, confirm.

Nokia engineers - go join BlackBerry!

The last ones to manufacture their own hardware...

I hope that job announcement on Linkedin for BlackBerry camera software development will be filled with great guys soon!

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-12-15 12:53 PM
    I decided for a Fuji XQ1 for making photos, as I got fed up with the slow focus of the BlackBerry passport.

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/rev...m-xq1-review/3

It's one of the fastest focusing small cameras, also affordable. Although not perfect, it is quick and small.
    Another fast camera is the Nikon 1 series, but those have a heftier price tag.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 12:58 PM
    I've begun carrying around my old Z10 for pics.

Pathetic, huh?

Hey BlackBerry! Anyone paying attention?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and buwee like this.
    01-12-15 01:21 PM
    I just want to clarify something here. There are two issues with the Passport camera.

1. The camera has difficulty establishing focus. This will happen regardless of whether the object is stationary or moving. Because the camera is so slow to focus and has so much trouble locking on, it does even worse than normal when an object is not perfectly still. I am convinced that this is a software problem.

2. The shutter speed is too slow which results in unintended shutter drag. This is why you see a huge problem taking a picture of anything that is moving, even a little bit, with the Passport. For example, a kid moving his or her arm while you snap an in-focus image will result in capturing the movement of the arm in multiple positions and you will see a trail of the arm movement. The shutter speed just isn't fast enough to freeze the action. I believe that this too can be addressed with software, however one concern that I do have is that the hardware on the Passport is the same as the LG G2, which actually suffers from the same slow shutter problem. Even with the new camera software taken from the LG G3 ROM the shutter on the G2 is still slow.

Here's an example of what unintentional shutter drag looks like on an in focus photo. Note that this is not my kid, it's just an image I googled so I can post an example.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dejanh; 01-12-15 at 02:51 PM.
    01-12-15 02:38 PM
    Hi dejanh, thanks for the clarifications!

I do hope these will be addressed on the software side soon!

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 04:47 PM
    No problem at all

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 05:51 PM
    I just want to clarify something here. There are two issues with the Passport camera.
    1. The camera has difficulty establishing focus. This will happen regardless of whether the object is stationary or moving. Because the camera is so slow to focus and has so much trouble locking on, it does even worse than normal when an object is not perfectly still. I am convinced that this is a software problem.
    It is. I have another app that can change capturing modes and I have to say BlackBerry messed up with focusing algorithm in some of them. In build in camera if you use video mode focusing is much more stable and fast. The camera moves towards the focus point faster, but also doesn't pass it too far so, time to come back is not lost.

2. The shutter speed is too slow which results in unintended shutter drag. This is why you see a huge problem taking a picture of anything that is moving, even a little bit, with the Passport. For example, a kid moving his or her arm while you snap an in-focus image will result in capturing the movement of the arm in multiple positions and you will see a trail of the arm movement. The shutter speed just isn't fast enough to freeze the action. I believe that this too can be addressed with software, however one concern that I do have is that the hardware on the Passport is the same as the LG G2, which actually suffers from the same slow shutter problem. Even with the new camera software taken from the LG G3 ROM the shutter on the G2 is still slow.
    Posted via CB10
    This is a decision problem I believe Since Passport sensor is smaller (compared say to Z10/Q10) and have more megapixels software tend to use ISO priority modes (lowering ISO as much as it can and increasing exposure time). Yesterday I asked my wife to move her head while I was trying to make a pic and I have to say if ISO is high enough (I used 800 in poorly lit room), shutter speed has enough speed (1/50 sec in my case) to avoid any blurring. Standard camera in the same conditions has chosen ISO of around 200 and shutter speed 1/17 and obviously all images were blurred.
    dejanh likes this.
    01-13-15 04:57 AM
    Well I just got my Passport on Sunday and I can definitely say that there's something really off with the camera. It seems buggy. Sometimes it focuses good and other times it actually fails to focus and takes a blurry pic. There's still a delay when it seems to be trying to focus before it snaps the pic when it feels like (many times before the focus square turns green). This has happened with flash on and face detection off. My image aspect ratio is 4:3 currently. It's pretty bad. You can workaround it by tapping the screen to focus again if it fails to focus and it sometimes gets it. I really hope they fix this asap. It's the only major flaw/bug I've noticed so far. To all those who are defending the camera. I don't think you're helping much. While some may not mind or may not be experiencing the issue, enough are to prove that there's something up. Why don't we use this to highlight this problem to BlackBerry and get them to fix it expeditiously. We shouldn't have to beg for a fix or hope for a fix. Some of us spent our hard earned money on a product and that's a major flaw that we need and deserve to be fixed.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CyberMan2013; 01-13-15 at 05:49 PM.
    grungebetty and SalMan50 like this.
    01-13-15 05:20 PM
    Seriously, I decided to keep the passport but I came from an iPhone 6 and figured the 13 megapixel camera should perform well....no....no it ducks bad...really bad. Almost got rid of it for that reason alone.....please fix it BlackBerry! If possible

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 05:51 PM
    I've had more people ask me what I took my fantastic photos with. I tell them it was my Z10. People can't believe it. I now have a Note4, but my Z10 is my great backup camera.
    01-13-15 05:56 PM
535 ... 89101112 ...