This has all been covered multiple times. The Passport camera is slow to focus compared to cameras that use Phase Detection autofocus. If you can handle the fact that it takes a bit longer to lock on to a focus, it's still a good camera. If you can't, you probably want to buy another device.

Posted via CB10
    Hey I was giving my input.. I believe our input helps our future updates.. I Love my Passport.. Don't be a ***..

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 08:45 AM
    Hey I was giving my input.. I believe our input helps our future updates.. I Love my Passport.. Don't be a ***..

Posted via CB10
    I didn't mean it in an insulting way, so sorry if that's how you thought it read.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 01:22 PM
    The funny thing is that yesterday morning, I was convinced the Passport's camera was horrible. Almost every pic was blurry. I even started a post to this thread. It had lots of adjectives, none of which were nice. Then I did some digging and figured out how to focus the thing. Now, I can't say that Passport's camera is the best but I can say it is very good. I now know that it is relatively easy to take excellent pics of things in motion. So, I'm glad I waited before I posted here.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 09:27 AM
    Guys a fellow member pointed out that the cam used is a Sony one, and after reading up came up with the following:

To take a good pic, press on the onscreen blue button and keep your figure on it till you get focus, the picture will snap once you release.

Think of it as a regular digital cam where u have the half push on the snap button.

Tried it, works beautifully.

Posted via CB10
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    06-01-15 09:31 AM
    It has more problems with focusing!

A Happy Passport User....
    This fixed the 'focus' problem for me. Not a faulty camera, faulty way in which we use it. For the life of me I cannot understand why BlackBerry doesn't share this info...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1021429

I <3 NY!
    Paul Callahan likes this.
    06-01-15 10:22 AM
    This fixed the 'focus' problem for me. Not a faulty camera, faulty way in which we use it. For the life of me I cannot understand why BlackBerry doesn't share this info...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1021429

I <3 NY!
    That's a game changer.. Thanks :-)

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 09:25 AM
    If you have camera problems, then update to 10.3.2. I did the update today and since I did, the focus and response on my camera has been snappy and responsive. It almost feels like the camera on my previous iPhone 6+. I don't have to time shots or play with lighting or angles to get the focus to work. It just works now. I even low light/night shots are easier to take and come out better.

Give it a try. Can't hurt.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    06-02-15 10:06 PM
    The camera is really great now with this latest update! Low light shots are so much better. I wish BlackBerry would have gotten this software correct right from the beginning. They took a lot of deserved criticism in reviews for the poor performance of the camera.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 10:41 PM
    If you want to take better pics and you haven't upgraded to 10.3.2.xxxx, grab Camera FV-5 from Google Play using Snap and start taking some sweet shots with your PP Camera!

Review the attached article:

http://audiophileon.com/home/blackbe...our-smartphone

Posted via CB10 on my Awesome BlackBerry Passport
    06-03-15 02:01 AM
    Here's a photo comparison between the Passport and the Q10. Can you guess which picture was taken by which device?

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20150605_133016.jpg   Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20150605_132941.jpg  
    06-05-15 05:37 AM
    Top picture is the passport?
    06-05-15 12:27 PM
    Guys a fellow member pointed out that the cam used is a Sony one, and after reading up came up with the following:

To take a good pic, press on the onscreen blue button and keep your figure on it till you get focus, the picture will snap once you release.

Think of it as a regular digital cam where u have the half push on the snap button.

Posted via CB10
    This changes everything. Much better performance.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 12:32 PM
    This changes everything. Much better performance.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. Works really well.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 12:40 PM
    Here's a photo comparison between the Passport and the Q10. Can you guess which picture was taken by which device?

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately not, the bottom one is the picture taken by the Passport. The color reproduction is way off using the Passport's camera especially under those lighting conditions in comparison to the Q10, which seems to have gotten a very accurate color reproduction of the actual object.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 02:29 PM
    The camera is probably my biggest issue with the passport. Especially how slow the focus is. I have kids so It's important for me to have good quality pictures of them as they grow up. One of the only reasons I keep my i6 with me is for the camera. That being said I prefer the look of the videos the passport takes. They have a more real feeling to them if that makes any sense.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 08:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    Try tapping elsewhere on the Passport screen and see the picture transform!

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 09:06 AM
    The camera is probably my biggest issue with the passport. Especially how slow the focus is. I have kids so It's important for me to have good quality pictures of them as they grow up. One of the only reasons I keep my i6 with me is for the camera. That being said I prefer the look of the videos the passport takes. They have a more real feeling to them if that makes any sense.

Posted via CB10
    I had the same frustrations you do. I could not take a picture that was in focus. Then I found out that I was using the camera wrong. The camera is actually excellent.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 02:57 PM
    Love that everyone posts still photos when the conversation is about focusing quickly when you need to snap a shot. Show me a toddler in focus and I'll believe you. Otherwise, I'm happy to sell you my Passport so I can go back to a mainstream smartphone that doesn't lie about its camera specs.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 08:21 PM
    Love that everyone posts still photos when the conversation is about focusing quickly when you need to snap a shot. Show me a toddler in focus and I'll believe you. Otherwise, I'm happy to sell you my Passport so I can go back to a mainstream smartphone that doesn't lie about its camera specs.

Posted via CB10
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1021889

I just posted these today.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 08:31 PM
    I feel the same too. But the specs ain't lies, just the algorithm. A complete failure, I'd say. And I think u can sell it for 300ish, and get some random iphone

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 08:32 PM
    I'm happy with the camera now. Still not as good as my other BlackBerry phones but...nonetheless...

Oh...Got a Classic as well. Can't get any happier with the Passport-Classic tag team! Classic is now my primary phone...and I keep my PP in the bag. I also take pics of my daughter using my Classic. Happy happy!!!

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 02:01 AM
    I tried it, and it works. Still I think that the main problem is how terribly slow autofocus is.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 02:24 AM
    I tried it, and it works. Still I think that the main problem is how terribly slow autofocus is.

Posted via CB10
    This thread just doesn't die and there is a valid reason for it.

Try camera++ and get the snapshot mode which basically uses the video mode to snap the picture without recording the video. Focus is a bit faster in that mode. Although I must admit autofocus is generally slow in the Passport.

I have learned to accept the limitation of the Passport camera and am using third party apps (Camera++) to help make the camera experience better on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 03:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    This along with the new update has SIGNIFICANTLY improved the camera IMO. Really great pictures can be taken.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 07:29 AM
    If you want to take great pictures with Passport you need to understand that you are not using the camera the right way. The problem is not that the focus is slow. It focuses fairly quickly, in fact. The issue is that it does not hold focus. Slight movement from the camera or the object of the picture will initiate a refocus. This is what is causing all the blurry pics.

This happens because the camera operates in a continuous focus mode. The solution is easy. Hold down the shutter button until the pic is in focus. That will cause it to hold focus. Then, release the button to take the pic.

Don't take my word for it. Try it yourself.
    gson_ve and ckasey like this.
    06-07-15 07:41 AM
535 ... 19202122