No one cares if it's the hardware or software. They care about taking a decent pic on the spur of the moment without having to adjust settings & wait xxx time for the camera to focus properly. It's unacceptable, regardless of the reason.

Posted via CB10
    +1
    Agatonga likes this.
    02-16-15 12:27 AM
    Folks in this thread have proven you can take great images with the camera, so let's backtrack. Think about why you bought the phone - you didn't buy a BlackBerry Passport to shoot good images (you shouldn't have), yet amazingly enough, you CAN take great images with the phone! Everyone should come to expect poor photo quality from BlackBerry phones, it's been a standard for years.

If you want to buy a phone that also serves as an incredible camera to take portraits or landscapes or action shots and then print them out and sell them, maybe you should look at a Sony Xperia Z3 or Z2. If you want a phone that can increase your productivity light years ahead of an Android, get a BlackBerry Passport. If you already bought the Passport and really want to take good photos with that $650 Passport that you might be on a contract with, please hunker down and apply some effort into learning how (these fine folks have off their wonderful help in all their posts).

That being said, if you're into photography, just get a camera, there really are perks to using a real camera!
    marksasongko and allsportsfan like this.
    02-19-15 08:56 PM
    You're advice is to "just get a camera?"

You're not serious. Of course people use their phones as cameras and that's a major motivation and essential element. To think that one of the latest modern phones has a disaster camera just goes to show how clean clueless Blackberry is regarding the market and explains why they have lost so many billions of dollars. Sux.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    02-19-15 09:10 PM
    Of course I'm serious, and I was also serious about my other points. You seem to forget that BlackBerry makes business phones, and a lot of businesses have prohibited phones with cameras on them. You wouldn't go to a drag race with a U-HAUL truck, would you? The hardware's there and members have chimed in in this thread to help you guys with camera issues.

Choose Action mode for quick shutter speed. Click the location of the screen where you want to focus. You can even get Camera++ for tighter control on settings.
    02-19-15 09:32 PM
    Crikey! Isn't this useless thread dead yet? It's just a page for whining about about the camera; nothing constructive on it.

Posted via CB10
    nyallj likes this.
    02-19-15 09:36 PM
    Set to burst mode or time shift mode, with Action setting instead of Auto. You'll get multiple shots to choose from, each will be fast shutter speed. Make sure you click the screen where you wanna auto-focus before firing off the bursts. The camera isn't slow, it's pretty darn good for a BlackBerry. The time shift mode and panorama modes are absolutely killer.
    02-19-15 09:39 PM
    is the update to 10.3.1 improving the focus at all??
    anyone would verify this for me?
    and yes, im in the states, no update for me.
    02-19-15 09:39 PM
    Passport makes the best pictures. Better than on my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 10:32 PM
    Folks in this thread have proven you can take great images with the camera, so let's backtrack. Think about why you bought the phone - you didn't buy a BlackBerry Passport to shoot good images (you shouldn't have), yet amazingly enough, you CAN take great images with the phone! Everyone should come to expect poor photo quality from BlackBerry phones, it's been a standard for years.

If you want to buy a phone that also serves as an incredible camera to take portraits or landscapes or action shots and then print them out and sell them, maybe you should look at a Sony Xperia Z3 or Z2. If you want a phone that can increase your productivity light years ahead of an Android, get a BlackBerry Passport. If you already bought the Passport and really want to take good photos with that $650 Passport that you might be on a contract with, please hunker down and apply some effort into learning how (these fine folks have off their wonderful help in all their posts).

That being said, if you're into photography, just get a camera, there really are perks to using a real camera!
    Hi. I love my Passport and I have no plans to switch to other brands. I am a heavy email user...thus, my love for and loyalty to BlackBerry phones. I don't have too many apps on my phone as well...just the basics that came with it and some other downloaded apps (Sonos, Spotify, Kindle, Evernote, iGrann, CB10, WhatsApp, Viber...and a few more apps from BlackBerry World).

I love my BlackBerry phones because, you are correct, it makes me efficient. It is my primary phone. However, I have a one year old daughter and I love to take "Kodak" moment pics of her. Coming from the Z10 and Z30, I got frustrated with the quality of MOVING pics the Passport takes. I don't print pics taken from phones...I just save it, share it with family and friends or upload it on IG or FB.

I bought my PP the same way I bought my BlackBerry 9700 and the rest of my BlackBerry phones...just a few days after they came out the grey market here in the Philippines (they haven't launched the PP here yet...I think)...and I pay in cash.

That being said...if you read through the thread, I'm sure you would understand where my frustration is coming from....or why I started this thread. I'm surprised to find out this thread is still on. He he...

Hopefully, with this new OS update, the camera focus problem gets fixed already. I just updated my phone and I can't wait to test the camera and take a pic of my little princess later when I get home.

Have a great day!

Cheers...from a LOYAL BlackBerry user.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by gson_ve; 02-20-15 at 11:03 AM.
    nah.uhh and Agatonga like this.
    02-19-15 11:13 PM
    ....and hopefully...this thread gets buried together with the rest of the old threads...

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 11:17 PM
    Of course I'm serious, and I was also serious about my other points. You seem to forget that BlackBerry makes business phones, and a lot of businesses have prohibited phones with cameras on them. You wouldn't go to a drag race with a U-HAUL truck, would you? The hardware's there and members have chimed in in this thread to help you guys with camera issues.

Choose Action mode for quick shutter speed. Click the location of the screen where you want to focus. You can even get Camera++ for tighter control on settings.
    Aside from the fact that there aren't many companies that don't allow a phone w a camera and there aren't many phones that don't have camera's, this one does have a camera -- one with with more mega pixels than any previous camera, no less -- and a camera is an essential component of a pda for many people, hence all the complaints and disappointment. How a company misses the mark so widely on such an important element of a product is beyond me, but explains why Blackberry is in such a bad fin'l/market position.
    02-20-15 08:23 AM

You don't seem to understand that many biz users travel the world and need to take instant pics with their phones.

Now I gotta carry around another device, along with associated charging cords jus cuz dim witted BlackBerry of today can't make a simple camera work as well as their Z10 of years ago?

Thanks. These excuses for mediocrity are exactly why BlackBerry is now headed for oblivion!

Posted via CB10
    pgerhard, Zedd88 and Vintage123 like this.
    02-20-15 08:54 AM
    I came here to add the the frustration of people tired of the passport camera.

Worst camera, can mean everything and yes 'speed' is one factor to make a good camera.

I am getting so tired of this phone, with constant sluggishness, android apps stops to work, constant freezes --- and now the camera is really a 50/50 when it comes to taking pictures.

I used the camera for instance to take pictures at an event we organised where I did not bring my SLR camera and was put 'on the spot' to take pictures of people receiving certificate (with handshake, certificates, sponsors banners etc)

One in 3 pictures ended up blurry and I had to apologise as I did not have a very good camera on me at the time.

There you have it, business use the the passport (which is nowadays not only email+++).

I am so desappointed
    early2bed, Vintage123 and Zedd88 like this.
    02-20-15 09:39 AM
    I came here to add the the frustration of people tired of the passport camera.

Worst camera, can mean everything and yes 'speed' is one factor to make a good camera.

I am getting so tired of this phone, with constant sluggishness, android apps stops to work, constant freezes --- and now the camera is really a 50/50 when it comes to taking pictures.

I used the camera for instance to take pictures at an event we organised where I did not bring my SLR camera and was put 'on the spot' to take pictures of people receiving certificate (with handshake, certificates, sponsors banners etc)

One in 3 pictures ended up blurry and I had to apologise as I did not have a very good camera on me at the time.

There you have it, business use the the passport (which is nowadays not only email+++).

I am so desappointed
    And then people will say you should bring a dslr with you, or request the people on the stage to hold their hands and pose for few seconds (may up to few minutes coz ur camera needed long time to focus) so that u can adjust the setting in the camera to take a good picture.

It's always the user fault coz they don't know how to adjust the camera settings, also the users' fault that the objects that they taking picture on do not have time to wait so that the users can adjust the camera setting. The Passport camera can take a very decent picture, it's ur fault if u don't have time to play with the settings. Because some people here do not take instant pictures with their passport, you should not do the same.

So it's ur fault, get a dslr instead.

Posted via CB10
    Agatonga likes this.
    02-20-15 07:37 PM
    is the update to 10.3.1 improving the focus at all??
    anyone would verify this for me?
    and yes, im in the states, no update for me.
    It seems to be better. The only focus problem I have now is low light macro shots. I think I can forgive that

For other shots, it appears to be faster and more accurate. I'm playing with the camera now, so I can report back soon.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 12:47 AM
    Comparing to iphone 6? Or

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 03:22 AM
    Yep, when compared against an iphone 6. Did you realise that all the problems people mention here are also seen on the wonderful ip6

See http://iphonephotographyschool.com/blurry-photos/

Very similar to the PP. Anyway, i've been playing with the camera this afternoon. They have increased the max ISO, and I believe they now default to action rather than night. This means a faster shutter, less blur. Focus is noticeably better, although probably not as good as the ip6. It is quite usable now. The quality is still there, and for a static scene, but you will get more out of the camera if you can change the settings - just like the ip6.

Posted via CB10
    allsportsfan likes this.
    02-21-15 04:38 AM
    Point on distant object, let camera focus once. Then press and hold focus area (a small lock will appear when focus is locked). Then while camera is open you can just take pics. If you minimise it or close you'll need to repeat the same steps
    I know I'm late to the game on this thread but thanks for the tip. Wasn't aware of this feature.
    02-21-15 06:33 AM
    The Autofocus is an annoying Bug. You can use a older camera Bar File to fix it.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 07:10 AM
    Yep, when compared against an iphone 6. Did you realise that all the problems people mention here are also seen on the wonderful ip6

See http://iphonephotographyschool.com/blurry-photos/

Very similar to the PP. Anyway, i've been playing with the camera this afternoon. They have increased the max ISO, and I believe they now default to action rather than night. This means a faster shutter, less blur. Focus is noticeably better, although probably not as good as the ip6. It is quite usable now. The quality is still there, and for a static scene, but you will get more out of the camera if you can change the settings - just like the ip6.

Posted via CB10
    The problems are not at all similar. Quit spreading false information.

When ip6 photos are blurry it is user error. When Passport photos are blurry it is Passport issue. We'll documented and not a question.

I've used both enough to know. And I'm NOT an ip6 fan (just ask my family) but those are simple facts... so quit spreading false info.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 09:34 AM
    When ip6 photos are blurry it is user error. When Passport photos are blurry it is Passport issue. We'll documented and not a question.
    Posted via CB10
    Can we have those "well documented" sources, please? Or at least Google/Bing/Yahoo keywords to find them ourselves. Thank you in advance
    allsportsfan likes this.
    02-21-15 09:55 AM
    The problems are not at all similar. Quit spreading false information.

I've used both enough to know. And I'm NOT an ip6 fan (just ask my family) but those are simple facts... so quit spreading false info.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know why you think the problems aren't similar because having read the article I can see there are lots of similarities. These are issues with all smartphone cameras. Nokia 1020 is arguably the best camera on a smartphone but if you head over to the windows phone forum you'll see it had major blurry autofocus issues as well.

I shoot with DSLR's as well and I hear complaints from people who have $5000 camera and say they can't get this right or that right it must be the camera. The instructors always say have you read the manual and how the camera settings should be set and how to hold the camera to prevent shale. The 2 biggest issues for photos not coming out.

The passport has good hardware the software can always be improved but I have taken action shots of dogs running and kids playing and haven't had a big problem with it. It's not perfect but it's okay in a pinch.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 11:14 AM
    I have taken action shots of dogs running and kids playing and haven't had a big problem with it. It's not perfect but it's okay in a pinch.

Posted via CB10
    Tips?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    02-21-15 11:16 AM
    I don't know why you think the problems aren't similar because having read the article I can see there are lots of similarities. These are issues with all smartphone cameras. Nokia 1020 is arguably the best camera on a smartphone but if you head over to the windows phone forum you'll see it had major blurry autofocus issues as well.

I shoot with DSLR's as well and I hear complaints from people who have $5000 camera and say they can't get this right or that right it must be the camera. The instructors always say have you read the manual and how the camera settings should be set and how to hold the camera to prevent shale. The 2 biggest issues for photos not coming out.

The passport has good hardware the software can always be improved but I have taken action shots of dogs running and kids playing and haven't had a big problem with it. It's not perfect but it's okay in a pinch.

Posted via CB10
    Look... I don't have time to argue this... and I wouldn't even reply except point out the following:

Everything that is wrong with the Passport camera was NOT wrong with the camera in both the Z10 and Z30.

I have taken thousands of pictures with my old Z10 and close to a thousand on my Passport.

The Passport camera is flawed... pure and simple.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 11:32 AM
    user error perhaps?
    02-21-15 11:49 AM
535 ... 1516171819 ...