Ah but I have. I also know the difference between hardware and software. The camera module is good. The software needs some love.

Oh, by the way, I am currently designing an IR camera module for robot vision (this is my job). I know a little about cameras and software

Anyone who says the camera module is bad really doesn't know what they are talking about. The software definitely needs fixing, but by using the correct settings, rather than auto, you can get great shots. I have compared the z10 (previous phone) to the PP. No competition, PP miles ahead in noise, detail and light sensitivity.

Posted via CB10
    No one cares if it's the hardware or software. They care about taking a decent pic on the spur of the moment without having to adjust settings & wait xxx time for the camera to focus properly. It's unacceptable, regardless of the reason.

Posted via CB10
    buwee and Agatonga like this.
    02-02-15 08:14 AM
    One of the main reasons why people use cameras these days is not to end up with the best quality photo but for social media purposes. It's important for your smartphone to be able to capture an image that doesn't look crappy on social media. And, it's not just selfies or recreation. Plenty of work-related shots like real estate and vendor displays are taken on smartphones and immediately sent to clients. This is an important part of any smartphone.
    kbz1960 and Agatonga like this.
    02-02-15 09:43 AM
    The Passport Camera module is apparently the same as LG G3.

Here?s what the LG G3?s camera can do | Pocketnow

The LG G3 camera isn't as bad as the Passport.
    02-02-15 12:54 PM
    Bad camera or not, still can't wait to own one.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 12:56 PM
    It'll get better.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 01:09 PM
    Mine works fine.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 03:38 PM
    The Passport Camera module is apparently the same as LG G3.

Here?s what the LG G3?s camera can do | Pocketnow

The LG G3 camera isn't as bad as the Passport.
    Have you actually saw those images yourself or you make your assumptions based on some mini-previews? Take a closer look at night pictures... actually day pictures are not much better than the night ones
    02-02-15 03:52 PM
    Have you actually saw those images yourself or you make your assumptions based on some mini-previews? Take a closer look at night pictures... actually day pictures are not much better than the night ones
    Those images are way better than the Passport, especially when opened full browser.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport | Been around the world, don't speak the language but workin' wide need no explainin'
    02-02-15 08:19 PM
    I'm not trying to be rude, so apologies if it seems like I am. Photos that show movement like this means that you don't understand how to take photos in lower (not low) light. To get enough light you either need the flash (that's what it is for), a higher ISO (and noise) or a longer shutter. The PP has OIS, which really is a one trick pony. You can have longer shutter times without blurring the background. It does nothing for a moving foreground - in fact it is worse.

Use the flash for quick action indoors. Alternatively, boost the ISO, gain some noise, but lower the shutter. Select the action setting for this. This really is basic photo 101

You will get exactly the same result from your DSLR if it is incorrectly used. There aren't many settings in the PP camera app - learn to use them and you will get better shots.

Posted via CB10
    You mean this?

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20150131_092036.jpg

₱asaporte₱ilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    ZEDTROSPEKTIV likes this.
    02-03-15 01:23 AM
    You mean this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150131_092036.jpg 
Views:	1264 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	331447

₱asaporte₱ilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    What app is that?

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport | Been around the world, don't speak the language but workin' wide need no explainin'
    02-03-15 11:12 AM
    Camera ++. It is awesome.
    02-03-15 11:18 AM
    Passport camera is terrible. Love the phone but the camera is garbage. I took a flight to Chicago a couple of weeks ago with my cousin. We both filed the take off from inside the plane. His iPhone 6 camera was many times better. Iprefer the passport as a phone, but for the camera? Aghhh. Not only that but I miss a lot of great picture moments because the camera opens terribly slow

Posted via my Classic Passport
    02-03-15 12:59 PM
    Passport camera is terrible. Love the phone but the camera is garbage. I took a flight to Chicago a couple of weeks ago with my cousin. We both filed the take off from inside the plane. His iPhone 6 camera was many times better. Iprefer the passport as a phone, but for the camera? Aghhh. Not only that but I miss a lot of great picture moments because the camera opens terribly slow

Someone will be quick to point out how great the hardware on the camera is, but that it's the software that's the problem. And because of that, despite the delay in focusing, you really shouldn't complain. Lol

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 02:46 PM
    Someone will be quick to point out how great the hardware on the camera is, but that it's the software that's the problem. And because of that, despite the delay in focusing, you really shouldn't complain. Lol
    But not as quick as someone who complains about how bad they think it is
    02-03-15 10:53 PM
    I felt being lead to believe with 13MP specification, camera has one of the best out there.
    My initial financial consideration is to sell my Samsung Note 3 to fund a new Passport (bought Passport recently). Plan has started to fall apart. Passport camera is shockingly weak. It is only good under sufficient sunlight. Overall, it can't even match up with Samsung or iPhone.
    I now can't decide if I should sell my Note 3. This is one situation I don't wish to be in. Thanks to blackberry & myself for being a BB fan.
    02-04-15 08:52 PM
    It is only good under sufficient sunlight.
    I think the several threads about the cameras problems all boil down to one problem. It is terrible at taking an instant, snap decision photo. If you have time to compose the shot and adjust the settings, the resultant quality is at least as good as the others. I am lucky that I am in the slow photo taking club I rarely take a snap photo, so for me modifying the settings and using techniques like focus lock work wonders. If you are like me, then the camera is wonderful. If you take lots of impromptu, instant (no time to mess around) shots then it will probably not be good enough for you.

My suggestion would be sell the note3 and buy a real camera (i'm not joking or trolling - I'm being serious). Very few phones will compete with even a cheap digital camera. For anything that doesn't require a quick response and that you can set up, the PP camera should do the trick. The low light performance of the PP is especially good when you take the time to set it up due to OIS and low F lens.
    02-04-15 09:10 PM
    My suggestion would be sell the note3 and buy a real camera (i'm not joking or trolling - I'm being serious). Very few phones will compete with even a cheap digital camera.
    Funny how, I was thinking about that. With the resale value of Note 3, I would be able to get a cheap camera & have some money left. This is not a solution. You don't want to carry extra thing around, do you? Nowadays smartphones are not simply a means of making calls, they are multi media equipment too.
    I know what you are saying. However, there were many missed opportunities if you were to fiddle with the phone camera settings to achieve better shots. Note 3 camera is a nice compromise.
    02-04-15 09:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    Are you in denial? The passport takes awful pictures compared to other devices on the market. Filters only remedy the problem. The focus is not the only problem. Taking pictures is under lit rooms, at night, in the snow and so on, provide a bad quality photo. I love my passport. It's the camera that gets to me. I used my iphone 4s on my recent trip because the passport just couldn't handle it. I'm always the first to come to blackberrys defense but no, I'll never defend the camera, whether it's a hardware or software problem. It needs to be fixed.

02-09-15 07:32 AM
    The passport takes awful pictures compared to other devices on the market
    No it doesn't. The IQ of the passport is amongst the best out there. It has low noise, little to no chroma noise and evenly distributed luminance noise. Colours are accurate, not overly saturated. There is very little post processing, meaning that if you really want, you can work on the photo later without losing detail.

Please stop saying it takes aweful photos. The only real problem is the slow focus. Those who can't wait (ie spur of the moment), or don't know what to do will end up with bad photos. Those who compose the shot, be it in good or low light will end up with a quality shot.

I had a z10 before the pp, and a Nokia 808 before that. The pp is much better than the z10 in IQ, but not as good as the 808. Having said that, the 808 also had a slow focus speed. Does that make it a bad camera?

Posted via CB10
    nyallj likes this.
    02-09-15 08:08 AM
    Are you in denial? The passport takes awful pictures compared to other devices on the market. Filters only remedy the problem. The focus is not the only problem. Taking pictures is under lit rooms, at night, in the snow and so on, provide a bad quality photo. I love my passport. It's the camera that gets to me. I used my iphone 4s on my recent trip because the passport just couldn't handle it. I'm always the first to come to blackberrys defense but no, I'll never defend the camera, whether it's a hardware or software problem. It needs to be fixed.

What part of my post gave you the impression I was defending Blackberry's camera? Seriously, READ IT slowly. My comment was geared toward those that have a tendency to minimize or mock critics of the camera's functionality. I am one that isn't happy with the camera and have been quite vocal about it. So the only denial I see here is firmly set in your lack of reading comprehension.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 08:12 AM
    No it doesn't. The IQ of the passport is amongst the best out there. It has low noise, little to no chroma noise and evenly distributed luminance noise. Colours are accurate, not overly saturated. There is very little post processing, meaning that if you really want, you can work on the photo later without losing detail.

Please stop saying it takes aweful photos. The only real problem is the slow focus. Those who can't wait (ie spur of the moment), or don't know what to do will end up with bad photos. Those who compose the shot, be it in good or low light will end up with a quality shot.

I had a z10 before the pp, and a Nokia 808 before that. The pp is much better than the z10 in IQ, but not as good as the 808. Having said that, the 808 also had a slow focus speed. Does that make it a bad camera?

Posted via CB10
    Yes the camera takes good pics of still subjects. I'm sure most camera's are capable of this. But the lack of focusing speed renders it useless for anything that moves for the average user. That's just the bottom line so you can keep spinning it and separating shutter speed from the pictures themselves but for most people BOTH features are equally important and define what makes a good camera.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 08:19 AM
    What part of my post gave you the impression I was defending Blackberry's camera? Seriously, READ IT slowly. My comment was geared toward those that have a tendency to minimize or mock critics of the camera's functionality. I am one that isn't happy with the camera and have been quite vocal about it. So the only denial I see here is firmly set in your lack of reading comprehension.

Posted via CB10
    Whoa someone got a little defensive. My reading comprehension is fine. It's your lack of skill in sentence structure.

02-09-15 01:25 PM
    I don't have such issue big improvement coming from a Z10. Specifically the focusing is much quicker manual focusing timing between passport and iPhone 6. Is very small iPhone just wins however if you. Compensate that the default aspect ratio on the passport is set to 16:9 but the screen is 1:1 it may seem like the picture didn't turn out great until u zoom in and see the detail

@ZEDTROSPEKTIV Via BlackBerry Passport, previous Z10
    02-09-15 02:43 PM
    Whoa someone got a little defensive. My reading comprehension is fine. It's your lack of skill in sentence structure.

When you start off a sentence with ''Are you in denial?'' don't be surprised if someone becomes a bit defensive. If your reading comprehension was fine you would have understood that my comment was in defense of those who aren't happy with the camera's performance.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 02:46 PM
    Colours are accurate, not overly saturated. There is very little post processing, meaning that if you really want, you can work on the photo later without losing detail.
    The only real problem is the slow focus. Those who can't wait (ie spur of the moment), or don't know what to do will end up with bad photos.
    I had a z10 before the pp ... The pp is much better than the z10 in IQ...

Posted via CB10
    Taking pics side by side with my passport and Z10, I notice that the (my) passport wayy over saturates colors. The z10 is a little under saturated, but by comparison the passport pictures look cartoonish and the z10 pictures are acceptable. The z10 focuses better too.. doing a bunch of side by side tests with the two cameras, the z10 would take an acceptable picture most of the time and like 50% of the passport pictures needed to be retaken

I have to edit pictures taken with the passport, lowering the saturation slider to around 33% for colors to appear correctly. Though, after editing they do look good so it sounds like a sw issue.. almost feels like it was introduces intentionally, because originally I just thought the pictures were "vivid".. but no, they are cartoonish

And it's not just spur of the moment.. even with the camera perfectly still with focus locked, anything moving in the picture usually ends up blurred.. can't get a picture of a dog walking. I'm not sure what the issue is, but my 9810 took great pictures with its 5mp af shooter. You could actually get a picture of someone waving without their hand and arm becoming a mess.

action mode doesn't seem to help with shutter speed (I could be wrong) but it feels like action mode simply takes pictures with a low priority for focusing, so the end result is usually a completely blurry picture.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    02-15-15 01:29 PM
535 ... 1415161718 ...