Do the aftermarket apps really help at all with the focus issue or simply add features to the built in software?
    Can't tell about any 3d party camera app, but in Camera++ by I&N MobiSoft you have the following:

- Continuous AF. Works exactly like in standard camera, constantly tries to refocus when some movement is detected within focus region. By movement the algorithm understands also changes in lighting
    - AF. Works the same way as if you press-and-hold in standard camera to lock the focus. Does refocusing only when you tap on screen. Works perfectly if subject moves left/right and not towards/from you.
    - Manual. Fully manual focus with a slider. Basically a solution for all the hard focusing scenarios.

There is also a Snapshot mode that uses video focusing algorithm which is in most cases faster and locks more reliably. The downside of this mode is noise in low-light situations.
    01-24-15 01:13 PM
    Yep, I have some really nice Passport shots. It just struggles on shots where we need snappy focus speeds.

Posted via CB10

So please explain then how burst mode works so well . If focus was a problem then burst mode would suc. 12 frames a second gives plenty of stills to select the right shot
    01-24-15 01:30 PM
    This was to see if a walking animal can be photographed without much of a blur... Yes, it can be done

The test was done to see if Passport hardware is capable of something more than what we get from standard camera app. From images you can see that hardware is actually quite capable.

P.S. it seem CrackBerry reduces image quality for some reason, photos look much more grainy compared to the ones on my computer :/
    What software are you using to show the settings? I have Camera++, but it does not have that option.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 02:57 PM
    What software are you using to show the settings? I have Camera++, but it does not have that option.

Posted via CB10
    Which Camera++ do you have? There are two of them in BBW. The one that I use is developed by I&N MobiSoft team and also modes like Snapshot and Manual are only Passport specific at this moment
    01-24-15 03:27 PM
    Pictures I've done today with my Passport

standard camera, all settings on Auto:
    Attachment 329366
    One can easily see that Passport chooses low ISO to reduce the noise, but as a drawback it also slows down the shutter (wind was quite strong, so this thing was rotating like crazy)

Camera++, ISO forced to 600:
    Attachment 329364
    As one can see, forcing ISO higher helps to reduce blur due to faster shutter (speed of rotation was constant, the wind is Dutch certified )

Camera++, ISO forced to 800:
    Attachment 329365
    Forcing ISO higher reduces blur even more

Camera++, ISO forced:
    Attachment 329360
    Attachment 329362
    Attachment 329363
    Without comments. Drops were actually moving

Camera++, ISO forced:
    Attachment 329361
    This was to see if a walking animal can be photographed without much of a blur... Yes, it can be done

The test was done to see if Passport hardware is capable of something more than what we get from standard camera app. From images you can see that hardware is actually quite capable.

P.S. it seem CrackBerry reduces image quality for some reason, photos look much more grainy compared to the ones on my computer :/
    Point is proven. These pictures are excellent and the rain drop falling is very great!

People only have to learn how to use the camera. It is very great in the dark, way better than an Iphone where you do not see any reason faces at night. On iPhone, most of the dark pictures will be good for landscape but not for people picture while I agree that day pictures are better on Iphone. On the PP, you can get pictures of people on dark nights as well as landscape and very good day pictures also. I prefer my PP camera way better even if it is much too slow on opening and focus because of its ability to capture details at night. When I got the PP, I made comparisons of the same setup at night and I was very more satisfied with PP than my Iphone.

For moving objects, see pictures. Complainers, learn how to use and select action mode as many other have said. (photos are from CB46800, I thought they were good for the subject.)

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-crackberry-image-1-.jpg
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-crackberry-image.jpg

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 07:28 AM
    Point is proven, really? Having to resort to a 3rd party app and manually tweaking the camera settings is point proven? That's a pretend low bar to set.
    Agatonga likes this.
    01-25-15 09:14 AM
    Point is proven, really? Having to resort to a 3rd party app and manually tweaking the camera settings is point proven? That's a pretend low bar to set.
    It proves the camera is good, but the software is not

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and bb10_fan like this.
    01-25-15 09:34 AM
    Point is proven. These pictures are excellent and the rain drop falling is very great!

People only have to learn how to use the camera.

For moving objects, see pictures. Complainers, learn how to use and select action mode as many other have said. (photos are from CB46800, I thought they were good for the subject.)
    Posted via CB10
    Here we go again, blaming the users. What was proven is that the Passport Camera sucks (camera IS software + hardware). In case you didn't notice the picture of the raindrop falling was taken using a third party paid application called Camera++ where the ISO was manually set. The Passport's Camera app cannot manually set the ISO so I guess that's the user's fault.

Time yourself from launching of the camera app to getting your focus (this part is the erratic part) to snapping your picture. How long does it take? Ok, assuming you have to switch to action mode (that's an added few seconds to switch to action mode). The same goes to switching to video mode, try launching camera app then switch to video mode, it also takes time.

That is my problem with this phone. I have no problems taking landscape and stills and people posing. In those cases you can take your time to compose your shots. It's the instant shots that I have problem with. And unfortunately that is where I mostly use my phone's camera. Especially if you use it for work, you can't always ask the subject to hold what they are doing while you take your time composing the picture. Hopefully they could fix the software so that the camera could be more dependable.

Posted via CB10
    Agatonga likes this.
    01-25-15 09:40 AM
    Here we go again, blaming the users. What was proven is that the Passport Camera sucks (camera IS software + hardware). In case you didn't notice the picture of the raindrop falling was taken using a third party paid application called Camera++ where the ISO was manually set. The Passport's Camera app cannot manually set the ISO so I guess that's the user's fault.

Time yourself from launching of the camera app to getting your focus (this part is the erratic part) to snapping your picture. How long does it take? Ok, assuming you have to switch to action mode (that's an added few seconds to switch to action mode). The same goes to switching to video mode, try launching camera app then switch to video mode, it also takes time.

That is my problem with this phone. I have no problems taking landscape and stills and people posing. In those cases you can take your time to compose your shots. It's the instant shots that I have problem with. And unfortunately that is where I mostly use my phone's camera. Especially if you use it for work, you can't always ask the subject to hold what they are doing while you take your time composing the picture. Hopefully they could fix the software so that the camera could be more dependable.

Posted via CB10
    Dude let's put your theory to test.

Why bother ranting here about how crappy the pp camera is.

Hate it, leave. Sell the pp and be gone.

Compare my post against yours. Less words and point made.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 10:02 AM
    Hmm, are you saying you have bought zero apps because device is just ideal and has everything you have ever desired? So I guess you have none of productivity apps (Remember is perfect, right?), none of the LED controlling apps (build in list of capabilities is enough?). What's wrong with a 3d party app if it solves an issue of the device or better yet extends its capabilities?
    01-25-15 10:29 AM
    Blaming the user was not the right thing to do, I agree. If there is no feature to set, user has no choice but use default settings

Where do you have a separate video mode on Passport (or 10.3.x OS in general?). It's just right there when you launch the camera. The inconvenience of using faster video focus is of course you'll record useless video while taking pics. As for Camera++ it remembers your last settings up to the position of your manual focus and zoom slides and launches the app directly with those settings.
    01-25-15 10:35 AM
    Dude let's put your theory to test.

Why bother ranting here about how crappy the pp camera is.

Hate it, leave. Sell the pp and be gone.

Compare my post against yours. Less words and point made.

Posted via CB10
    Why do I have to sell the Passport and be gone? I love the Passport.

But loving the Passport doesn't mean I don't have to acknowledge it's weakness or be blind to its weakness.

It seems you have not been reading my post in this thread. My posts here have been very specific, a certain use case and the camera will not work. Why post here? So that others who have that specific use case will know that the camera will not be up to par for their usage.

Only by acknowledging the weakness will there be improvement. If we all lie to ourselves and say that the camera is perfect, then what is there to improve?

Also, are you implying that you should disown something that is not perfect even if you love it?

Posted via CB10
    buwee likes this.
    01-25-15 10:38 AM
    Just to clarify my post with pictures. I did it to prove the point that HARDWARE of Passport is capable, software could always be improved. So, can put to rest claims that Passport has 5$ crappy camera and move on whining only about the software part? As for those who buy apps to extend their device capabilities, enjoy the Passport device fully with better pictures
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-25-15 10:39 AM
    Ok, have more time to kill tonight (by now you guys have probably figured out that I have a boring life LOL.
    I took the same pictures of the balloons again with the PP but this time I didn't have to fan blowing on them so they weren't moving and the photo actually looks pretty awesome so the lens and whatever apparatus seems to have what it takes to take a decent picture - just the bad focusing issue which hopefully can be fixed although @Deckard doesn't feel like it can me - hopefully he's incorrect.

Attachment 329307
    As others have said the camera takes great shots if you spend the time to wait for it to focus and under ideal conditions (bright natural light with subject not moving at all) but is basically a POS in any other situation. I posted these comparison photos on another thread where almost everyone were ONLY posting shots of non moving objects (buildings and such) which the PP's camera does ok on. It is truly amazing some people here think that the PP's camera takes better pictures than iPhones, Samsungs, etc.

Unfortunately, life is not always ideal and I find it unacceptable to have a phone camera at this price point to have to wait for a nice sunny day then wait a couple of seconds for your camera to focus and your subject MUST be still in order to take a good photo. The following photos of the balloons were taken with 5 different phone cameras all set to auto, handheld with no flash. The balloons were swaying ever so slightly as I had a fan blowing at low speed on the balloons just to give them a bit of movement. The photo that hurts the most is the one from a $69.00 Nokia Lumia 520 - To my eyes even that photo was better than the PP's

I do enjoy the PP in every other way but I have call it as it is the camera just plain sucks!
    What do you guys think of these photo comparisons?

1st - Samsung Note 3
    2nd - LG G3
    3rd - BB Z30
    4th - Lumia 520
    5th - BB Passport

Attachment 328932Attachment 328933Attachment 328934Attachment 328935Attachment 328936
    Much clearer pic, ain't it? Two entirely different perspectives from the same lens though. Strange, isn't it? Unless we come back to my digital zoom observation, then it ain't so strange no more.
    01-25-15 10:42 AM
    Blaming the user was not the right thing to do, I agree. If there is no feature to set, user has no choice but use default settings
    At least we now both agree that it is not right to blame the user.
    Camera++ apparently solves some of the issues of the Camera. Hopefully, BlackBerry can come up with a built in camera app with the same features since not everyone will be buying 3rd party apps. And the point that it can be solved by a third party developer then there should be no reason why BlackBerry can't come up with their own fix.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 10:46 AM

But loving the Passport doesn't mean I don't have to acknowledge it's weakness or be blind to its weakness.

It seems you have not been reading my post in this thread. My posts here have been very specific, a certain use case and the camera will not work. Why post here? So that others who have that specific use case will know that the camera will not be up to par for their usage.

Only by acknowledging the weakness will there be improvement. If we all lie to ourselves and say that the camera is perfect, then what is there to improve?

Also, are you implying that you should disown something that is not perfect even if you love it?

Posted via CB10
    Don't worry about it. Some think asking, telling issues is bashing it when that isn't the case at all. Sure there are some who do that but I don't see that from you.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-25-15 10:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    Nope not saying that.

It means sometimes we must accept the weaknesses and find ways to work around them.

BlackBerry has been told of this weakness in all their products since time and memorial. They apparently don't give a flying F what we all say. Stubborn bunch.

But regardless, I like you like the rest of the phone and live with the 'flaws'.

If I need something more than what an app plus my BlackBerry pp can do then I'll bring a camera.

No point fussing with something we all know BlackBerry won't work on.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 10:58 AM
    Nope not saying that.

It means sometimes we must accept the weaknesses and find ways to work around them.

BlackBerry has been told of this weakness in all their products since time and memorial. They apparently don't give a flying F what we all say. Stubborn bunch.

But regardless, I like you like the rest of the phone and live with the 'flaws'.

If I need something more than what an app plus my BlackBerry pp can do then I'll bring a camera.

No point fussing with something we all know BlackBerry won't work on.

Posted via CB10
    I have accepted the weakness. But at the same time still hoping they fix it.

The Passport is my first Blackberry so I really don't know how responsive they are to the feedbacks. Granting that they don't fix it, there is still a point in stating their weakness. As I said in my previous posts, I carry a Lumia 1020 as my secondary phone. So the camera's weakness isn't a deal breaker for me. But for others it may be. So posts such as these help others make informative decisions. I for one looked at the Passport thread before switching over from iPhone. I also did the same when I switched over from Android.

On a side note, even the Lumia 1020 had problems with the camera software in their early release. We posted in WPCentral and improvements were made to what it is now.

So for me, discussions such as these are important for improvement and as a reference for others.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    01-25-15 11:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    Spot on!

I love my Passport too. But we need to be honest and realistic... and address problems head on, especially since BlackBerry of today seems incapable of these things.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    01-25-15 01:35 PM
    I've owned the i6 and the note 4 last 2 months and they where awsome at taking pictures, but I never needed it. For that 1 selfie in a week? Front camera is for making 'funny' pics anyway if you ask me. When I want to take awsome pictures I would take a real camera with me.

I think the camera is decent. Certainly not the best, but I hardly need it anyways.

I forget to take pictures of 'funny' moments anyways lol

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 02:08 PM
    So for me, discussions such as these are important for improvement and as a reference for others.
    Posted via CB10
    It's just discussion have to be clear about the problems and possible solutions (temporal or otherwise, if they exists). Till now there were many assumptions, including cheap camera sensor. As my and cb64800 pictures have shown we have solely a SOFTWARE issue which could be (or could be not) fixed by BlackBerry or 3d party developers. In any case some solutions exists and this has to be clear to a potential buyer of Passport. Spending money on Passport + camera app may still be cheaper than buying iPhone 6 + many apps to solve their lack of functionality
    01-25-15 03:26 PM
    Which Camera++ do you have? There are two of them in BBW. The one that I use is developed by I&N MobiSoft team and also modes like Snapshot and Manual are only Passport specific at this moment
    You misunderstood my question. I have Camera++, but what software are you using to get that overlay on a picture showing the device, ISO, etc.?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 04:36 PM
    Set it to action mode, it makes a massive difference.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 06:14 PM
    Set it to action mode, it makes a massive difference.

Posted via CB10
    What camera settings do action mode apply? How is action mode settings different from auto?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 07:21 PM
    Except for the fact that no digital zoom was used on ANY of the shots - Please read before posting
    01-25-15 08:39 PM
535 ... 1213141516 ...