Passport uses Sony OIS camera thingy,
    Apple has crappy 8 mp with work welldone mostly in the software itself & no camera settings to fiddle with...

Hope someone in pro photography could share some tweaks in Passport camera settings that we all can benefit to make our Passport camera "shines" like Xperia or the Apple til next os upgrades...

RedBlackBeast 2072 with better focus speed...
    01-19-15 06:10 AM
    There aren't any tweaks that don't involve missing the shot lol. Even with all options and aids turned off, it focuses and then unfocuses and keeps struggling to find it.
    01-19-15 09:49 AM
    There aren't any tweaks that don't involve missing the shot lol. Even with all options and aids turned off, it focuses and then unfocuses and keeps struggling to find it.
    Lets call in all SoftwareEngineers...

RedBlackBeast
    01-19-15 09:51 AM
    The main complaint is the focusing speed. As somebody said earlier by the time you focus the Kodak moment is gone. Most of the time that's all I am using it for. I have a one year old so you need to be quick. Forget it with the passport. Fortunately I also have Nexus 5 and that does the trick for most of the Kodak moments.

Posted via CB10
    I have puppies. Same issue. I feel your feel.

Pasaporte Pilipino.
    01-20-15 12:34 AM
    Trying to bury the iPhone camera while defending this mess of a camera is pathetic.

Posted via RED Passport on CB 10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    01-20-15 12:38 AM
    I took my daughter to the zoo today. Didnt get any good photos because i took the blackberry....
    01-20-15 12:51 AM
    Camera is waaaaay better on the 2072 leak.
    It has room for improvement, but if this is as good as it gets, I would be okay with it.

Previous build was just plain embarrassing!

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 01:24 AM
    Today I tried to take a picture of my twins and every single shot was terrible. I'd like to send them to the developers or Blackberry support or better yet, John Chen. This is supposed to be the flagship product. It does not need to be a Nokia Lumia but at least take non-blurry, decent pictures. I am surprised that none of the reviews have honed in on this. I have ten days to return it. It is a great phone but having such an important feature not work is inexcusable. What were they thinking?
    01-20-15 10:10 PM
    Bought a passport yesterday and waiting on delivery. I currently have an iPhone 6 plus. Which takes great pictures......do you all really think it's more of a hardware than software issue or vice versa?
    01-20-15 10:22 PM
    Bought a passport yesterday and waiting on delivery. I currently have an iPhone 6 plus. Which takes great pictures......do you all really think it's more of a hardware than software issue or vice versa?
    Software issue almost certainly.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 11:05 PM
    The iPhone 6 Plus has some hardware features including motorized Optical Image Stabilization: DailyTech - iPhone 6's "Focus Pixels" Are Already Used in Galaxy S5
    01-20-15 11:40 PM
    Do agree focus is very slow. As I said, hardware limitation. Still fairly happy with the camera overall though. Quite like this one (told my son to smile and he made this face!):

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20150118_131417_hdr.jpg

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 02:43 AM
    Yep. It's come to the point where I don't even try to take pictures. An update can't come soon enough.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 03:15 AM
    Ha, I'm almost in the same boat. I tend to ask my missus to take photos for me (Samsung Galaxy S5).
    If I'm outside and taking a landscape photo, then I'll take it with my Passport. Basically anything that is stable. But, moving items, animals, etc. nah...

Yep. It's come to the point where I don't even try to take pictures. An update can't come soon enough.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 07:10 AM
    Yes, the camera focus is horrible. Works beautifully for still objects only

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 08:16 AM
    As others have said the camera takes great shots if you spend the time to wait for it to focus and under ideal conditions (bright natural light with subject not moving at all) but is basically a POS in any other situation. I posted these comparison photos on another thread where almost everyone were ONLY posting shots of non moving objects (buildings and such) which the PP's camera does ok on. It is truly amazing some people here think that the PP's camera takes better pictures than iPhones, Samsungs, etc.

Unfortunately, life is not always ideal and I find it unacceptable to have a phone camera at this price point to have to wait for a nice sunny day then wait a couple of seconds for your camera to focus and your subject MUST be still in order to take a good photo. The following photos of the balloons were taken with 5 different phone cameras all set to auto, handheld with no flash. The balloons were swaying ever so slightly as I had a fan blowing at low speed on the balloons just to give them a bit of movement. The photo that hurts the most is the one from a $69.00 Nokia Lumia 520 - To my eyes even that photo was better than the PP's

I do enjoy the PP in every other way but I have call it as it is the camera just plain sucks!
    What do you guys think of these photo comparisons?

1st - Samsung Note 3
    2nd - LG G3
    3rd - BB Z30
    4th - Lumia 520
    5th - BB Passport

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-note-3.jpgPassport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-g3.jpgPassport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-z30.jpgPassport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-lumia-520.jpgPassport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-pp.jpg
    01-22-15 02:53 PM
    Thanks for the comparisons. I totally agree. The lumia i have is much better at taking photos than the pp
    01-22-15 03:19 PM
    [sarcasm]Hey man, learn to toggle your settings in a specific way. You clearly don't know anything about photography. Blackberry is infallible. This camera is phenomenal.[/sarcasm]

Thanks for the comparison! Pretty much what I've experienced. I'm going to the NHL All-star game this weekend, it should be funny trying to take some pictures with this thing.
    01-22-15 03:21 PM
    As others have said the camera takes great shots if you spend the time to wait for it to focus and under ideal conditions (bright natural light with subject not moving at all) but is basically a POS in any other situation. I posted these comparison photos on another thread where almost everyone were ONLY posting shots of non moving objects (buildings and such) which the PP's camera does ok on. It is truly amazing some people here think that the PP's camera takes better pictures than iPhones, Samsungs, etc.

Unfortunately, life is not always ideal and I find it unacceptable to have a phone camera at this price point to have to wait for a nice sunny day then wait a couple of seconds for your camera to focus and your subject MUST be still in order to take a good photo. The following photos of the balloons were taken with 5 different phone cameras all set to auto, handheld with no flash. The balloons were swaying ever so slightly as I had a fan blowing at low speed on the balloons just to give them a bit of movement. The photo that hurts the most is the one from a $69.00 Nokia Lumia 520 - To my eyes even that photo was better than the PP's

I do enjoy the PP in every other way but I have call it as it is the camera just plain sucks!
    What do you guys think of these photo comparisons?

1st - Samsung Note 3
    2nd - LG G3
    3rd - BB Z30
    4th - Lumia 520
    5th - BB Passport

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Note 3.jpg 
Views:	1753 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	328932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G3.jpg 
Views:	1754 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	328933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z30.jpg 
Views:	1749 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	328934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lumia 520.jpg 
Views:	1745 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	328935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP.jpg 
Views:	1747 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	328936
    Weird, I completely agree the Passport camera hardware is limited in terms of focus speed, but I don't get that blur in low light where taking stills... example (no flash, very low light):

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20150122_225430.jpg

Posted via CB10
    nyallj likes this.
    01-22-15 04:55 PM
    the camera of mine is really good.
    Have you removed the plastic from the camera?

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    nyallj likes this.
    01-22-15 04:58 PM
    Another indoor with horrible lighting conditions. Not great, but decent:

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20150122_225818.jpg

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 04:59 PM
    Actually just noticed you said the balloons were moving just slightly. Will try with slight movement of the curtains...

Ok. Curtains in breeze:

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20150122_230201.jpg

Again, as I'd expect in awful light. Still not blurry though.

Posted via CB10
    nyallj likes this.
    01-22-15 05:02 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Note 3.jpg 
Views:	1753 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	328932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G3.jpg 
Views:	1754 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	328933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z30.jpg 
Views:	1749 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	328934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lumia 520.jpg 
Views:	1745 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	328935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP.jpg 
Views:	1747 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	328936[/QUOTE]

I can recreate a similar looking blurred shot from my phone if I used digital zoom (pinch to zoom) on my camera app. I hope that's not what you did.
    As a hobby photographer, I am amused at the lot of people who know nothing about photography, but go in various device forums to bash on that device's camera.
    Vintage123 likes this.
    01-22-15 05:15 PM
    Ok, I can replicate this. If I turn the camera about 180 degrees away, then turn it to the subject and immediately take the photo without giving the camera any chance to focus, it comes out blurred. I literally have to snap it the moment I get the subject in shot:

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20150122_232737.jpg

Thing is though, I can't imagine a real life scenario where that would happen beyond trying to photograph my toddler kid running around in a darkened room. In which case, surely a proper good standalone camera is in order.

Posted via CB10
    nyallj likes this.
    01-22-15 05:32 PM
    Ok, and for a comparison, did the exact same with my wife's Lumia 925 (which is apparently great in low light). 2 shots:

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-wp_20150122_23_43_35_pro.jpg

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-wp_20150122_23_43_28_pro.jpg

White balance completely off, light looks totally wrong, and can also blur. The only plus on the 925 was that it did take the photo noticeably faster. Everything else, the Passport wins in my view.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 05:49 PM
535 ... 1011121314 ...