Camera is GREAT to me
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141230_115738_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    12-30-14 02:02 PM
    Oh, I just want to add, on my Passport camera lens, the plastic is STILL on it! That's how I'm rolling, well, for now at least
    12-30-14 02:39 PM
    Jopfet: try to say this bold thing, shooting moving objects, or dark environment, or macro / close up objects. It's piece of sh@t.

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    01-04-15 10:43 AM
    I get so tired of folks showing a pic they think is good in attempts to debunk the OP.

Fact is, it IS possible, just possible, to take good pics with Passport.

But the important fact is that it is NOT probable. Focusing is nothing short of UNACCEPTABLE!! Sometimes it works. Most times it doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 04:21 PM
    I'm pretty happy with this one. Exposed well, good detail, near perfect colour representation.
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141112_163232_hdr.jpg

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    01-04-15 05:40 PM
    You do realise that attaching a photo here decreases the quality significantly. I just downloaded the image I posted and it looks nothing like the original. I suspect high jpeg compression as well as the usual resolution decrease. I used to use a Nokia 808, now if you say that had a bad camera, I call troll

The PP, when you take your time, can hold its head up next to the 808 in good light. Yes the focus is slow, but that won't decrease quality unless you take the shot deliberately out of focus.

Posted via CB10
    cabb01 likes this.
    01-04-15 05:46 PM
    At least the videos it takes come out great, the image stabilization works really well

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 08:21 PM
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141230_195622.jpg
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141228_184611.jpg
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141230_092327.jpg
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141229_163127.jpg
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141228_184948.jpg
    Take your time and think out your shot and be patient with focus
    Most of these were taken in low light

SQW-100-1 & Z30 10.3.1.1154/1949 Apps
    01-04-15 09:05 PM
    These were all taken without flash

SQW-100-1 & Z30 10.3.1.1154/1949 Apps
    01-04-15 09:06 PM
    The camera is embarrassing on this thing, period. No excuses.

Posted via RED Passport on CB 10
    01-04-15 10:05 PM
    I get so tired of folks showing a pic they think is good in attempts to debunk the OP.
    I'm not meaning to be rude, however what proof do you require. One person says it's terrible, shows a bad photo - hmm, bad camera. 100 say it's good, and show good photos - hmmm, still bad. All people are doing is saying that the OP who said the camera is useless is probably just not using it properly. We aren't being rude or fanboish, just trying to show that the camera can indeed take great photos.

It's not perfect, probably far from, but the only real problem is the slow focus. Compensate for it and you'll find the camera is capable of taking a very good photo.

Nuff said, i'm moving on

Posted via CB10
    bb10_fan likes this.
    01-04-15 10:52 PM
    I'm not meaning to be rude, however what proof do you require. One person says it's terrible, shows a bad photo - hmm, bad camera. 100 say it's good, and show good photos - hmmm, still bad. All people are doing is saying that the OP who said the camera is useless is probably just not using it properly. We aren't being rude or fanboish, just trying to show that the camera can indeed take great photos.

It's not perfect, probably far from, but the only real problem is the slow focus. Compensate for it and you'll find the camera is capable of taking a very good photo.

Nuff said, i'm moving on

Posted via CB10
    Actually a lot of people are saying it's bad, not just the OP.

Slow focus is a big problem and depending on your use case, it could make or break your camera experience. And again, don't keep on blaming it on user problem.

I've tried all of the work around from locking of focus, to video mode while shooting the photos, turning off auto settings, etc. and still it is not up to par with the camera of other flagship phones.

Coming from an iPhone 5s and having a Lumia 1020 as my second phone, I could tell you that those two outshoot the passport.

It is not a make or break thing for me because I carry a second phone. But for some it is.

It can take good still photos but in almost all fast moving things it can't.

Here's a sample use case. I was at a client were I am consulting when their machine flashed an error message in it's console. On instinct, I grabbed my phone and snapped a photo of the console. It took forever to focus, by the time I snapped the photo it was all blurry. I ended up deleting that photo as it was useless. Lesson learned for me was that the camera wasn't trusty. I didn't need it to take accurate color reproduction, I needed it for a quick snap which would somehow still make the message readable.

As a businesses/work oriented phone, it is still sometimes needed to take quick snaps of photos to document an instance or to ponder on an idea that presented itself.

The software interface and it's sluggishness is killing that use case. Even shifting to video mode takes quite some time.

The reason why some say the camera is good is due to their use case. Snapping stills, landscape, group of people holding their pose, etc will turn out ok photos. Other use cases won't.

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    01-05-15 12:51 AM
    Actually a lot of people are saying it's bad, not just the OP.

Slow focus is a big problem and depending on your use case, it could make or break your camera experience. And again, don't keep on blaming it on user problem.

I've tried all of the work around from locking of focus, to video mode while shooting the photos, turning off auto settings, etc. and still it is not up to par with the camera of other flagship phones.

Coming from an iPhone 5s and having a Lumia 1020 as my second phone, I could tell you that those two outshoot the passport.

It is not a make or break thing for me because I carry a second phone. But for some it is.

It can take good still photos but in almost all fast moving things it can't.

Here's a sample use case. I was at a client were I am consulting when their machine flashed an error message in it's console. On instinct, I grabbed my phone and snapped a photo of the console. It took forever to focus, by the time I snapped the photo it was all blurry. I ended up deleting that photo as it was useless. Lesson learned for me was that the camera wasn't trusty. I didn't need it to take accurate color reproduction, I needed it for a quick snap which would somehow still make the message readable.

As a businesses/work oriented phone, it is still sometimes needed to take quick snaps of photos to document an instance or to ponder on an idea that presented itself.

The software interface and it's sluggishness is killing that use case. Even shifting to video mode takes quite some time.

The reason why some say the camera is good is due to their use case. Snapping stills, landscape, group of people holding their pose, etc will turn out ok photos. Other use cases won't.

Posted via CB10
    Very well put.

And further, the phone is a HUGE step backward from even the Z10. I could always take great pics with Z10... but rarely with Passort. It is NOT me... it is a poor camera on the Passport. No amount of excuses will change that.

Going backwards is completely unacceptable BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 06:48 AM
    Just my 2 cents. The auto focus in 10.3.1 isn't as good 10.2.1 by a long shot. I take a lot of close up pics of electronics. In 10.2.1 I used to get some excellent and sharp shots very easily. When I dragged the focus box to where I wanted it it worked just as I would have liked. Since 10.3.1 and possibly even 10.3.0 it's extremely difficult for me to get those same sharp close up shots. Even if I use the tap to focus it would focus sharply then go past the sharp setting and end up blurry. It seems as if it prefers to focus on a further object, rather than the intended object, regardless of where the box is. So what I have to do is lock the focus on whatever the phone chooses to focus on and then manually move the phone back or forward till the intended object is in focus. 10.3.0+ broke a whole lot that was good about the BlackBerry 10 camera software. Being able to tap anywhere on the screen also helped with keeping the phone image focused as I was able to take more pictures from awkward angles. The number and types of difficult shots I can successfully take right now are significantly reduced. Maybe we should start petitioning BlackBerry to bring back what was good about the 10.2.1 camera software and at least give us an option for the 10.2.1 camera controls and behaviour. I'm on a Z10 STL100-1 by the way, currently running 10.3.1.1154.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 07:11 AM
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141230_195413.jpg

Shrug

Posted via CB10
    Chris10108 likes this.
    01-07-15 11:30 PM
    I got chewed out in another thread for pointing out that I just use the phone for quick snapshots and it's horrible for that. Have to switch modes or trick it in to focusing. If I wanted to take great shots for prints, etc. I have $15k sunk into a pro level DSLR and lenses.

I shouldn't have to switch it to action mode to get the phone to focus to capture a goofy shot of one of my friends or something I need to remember like where I parked or a street sign, etc.
    01-08-15 12:20 AM
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20150107_120514.jpg

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 12:56 AM
    I got chewed out in another thread for pointing out that I just use the phone for quick snapshots and it's horrible for that. Have to switch modes or trick it in to focusing. If I wanted to take great shots for prints, etc. I have $15k sunk into a pro level DSLR and lenses.

I shouldn't have to switch it to action mode to get the phone to focus to capture a goofy shot of one of my friends or something I need to remember like where I parked or a street sign, etc.
    Exactly!

To those who keep cluttering up this thread with pics you think are great -> STOP IT already!

We freaking know it is possible to get a good pic if you have all day to play around with it. But it shouldn't take that long.

There is definitely something wrong with the instant focus feature. Constantly posting pics that may have taken all day to focus is never going to change that simple and we'll documented fact... at least until BlackBerry chooses to fix it.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 01:08 AM
    I miss my Sony cuz it took great pics. All the pics I take of people making any movement really sucks on the passport!! For example my dog.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 01:17 AM
    As opposed to many of the opinions here, I think the Passport camera is not bad at all. Actually I took a lot of great pictures with it, even in difficult lighting situations. The colors are great and if you take your time, the focus isn't too bad either. Yes, you do have go get used to the camera a bit and it's certainly not perfect. However, to me it appears like it does what I can expect from a smartphone camera.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 06:38 AM
    Worst camera? Get a Nikon D4s! Worth every shot.

PasaportePilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.1949
    01-08-15 06:56 AM
    Don't get me wrong...I'm a loyal fan of BlackBerry since 2007. In fact, Passport is my daily phone. I can even forgo not being able to run some of my favorite apps (Viber, Zinio, Instagram...some local apps). Unfortunately...the camera sucks!

Posted via CB10
    Not able to run Viber?
    Don't know 10.3 but my wife is using Android version of Viber on his Z30 10.2.1 since months without any problem.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 07:12 AM
    As opposed to many of the opinions here, I think the Passport camera is not bad at all. Actually I took a lot of great pictures with it, even in difficult lighting situations. The colors are great and if you take your time, the focus isn't too bad either. Yes, you do have go get used to the camera a bit and it's certainly not perfect. However, to me it appears like it does what I can expect from a smartphone camera.

Posted via CB10
    That's exactly why it is bad. There are a lot of use cases when you can't take your time to focus because if you do the moment has already passed. Again, still shots, landscapes, people holding their pose, the passport can take good photos. Moving objects or cases when you need to take an instant shot of something, the passport will surely fail.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 06:16 PM
    I had many embarrassing moments when I tried to take pic of my gf indoor, she posed and smile for 5 seconds or even longer, but my passport just had a tough time to focus. When it finally managed to focus and take a pic, the pic was blur because my gf was tired from posing and smiling for so long just to take one picture, so she moved.

And now I will just use my gf iPhone to take picture of her, or us.
    01-08-15 06:57 PM
    Here is what I found out. The camera is really slow especially when objects are moving and you turn on HDR. What I noticed is when you do a video recording, and hit the photo capture, the picture seems fine. This is a good workaround while waiting for the SW fix. Recorded video is awesome on quality.
    Just for your information, HDR should not be used with moving subjects and expect picture to be sharp. HDR takes 3 pictures at different Exposure Values and merge them to form one sharp image with a High Dynamic Range of lighting.
    As is obvious with most of the posts in this thread, lots of time bad pictures are taken is because you're doing it wrong.
    01-09-15 01:01 PM
535 ... 7891011 ...