I played around with it today and if the hardware is good then the software is **** poor. It was focusing and then it looked like it was front focusing and blowing Christmas lights out into bokeh. Tried different settings, a lot of noise, not very sharp.

I understand that it's only a phone, but I feel much less satisfied with the camera on the Passport than the Z10 and I'm a bit embarrassed to try to use the passport to take a photo next to my sister with her iPhone 6 since this thing rarely focuses. And I can guarantee it's not user error. I've shot weddings, dance recitals, portraits, sports, etc. professionally so I'm familiar with the basics of photography, how cameras work and what makes a good image. I love BlackBerry, but I'm hoping this is revised in 10.3.1, because I'll drop the passport for their next top tier all-touch phone despite my love for this keyboard.
    12-21-14 11:33 PM
    What would be ideal, is a button which selects hyperfocal mode. In fact you could have a hyperfocal shutter. Instead of pressing the normal shutter, hit hyperfocal and the camera automatically selects the hyperfocal point and takes the photo. This could be used for very quick shots with no time to focus. For all else, the slow focus wouldn't matter.

It would be like a special mode for focusless, instant photos.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 12:48 AM
    I'm in looove with the camera, not really different from the iphone 6 imo.
    12-22-14 01:14 AM
    I'm in looove with the camera, not really different from the iphone 6 imo.
    Smoking is bad for your health.

Anyone who says the Passport camera is par with the iPhone 6, 5 or even 4S is absolutely clueless. C'mon, some people are getting crazy saying such things, no wonder Blackberry is in this situation, and it's not getting better.

The Passport camera is absolutely horrible.
    grungebetty and woodsfloyd like this.
    12-22-14 05:47 AM
    I played around with it today and if the hardware is good then the software is **** poor. It was focusing and then it looked like it was front focusing and blowing Christmas lights out into bokeh. Tried different settings, a lot of noise, not very sharp.

I understand that it's only a phone, but I feel much less satisfied with the camera on the Passport than the Z10 and I'm a bit embarrassed to try to use the passport to take a photo next to my sister with her iPhone 6 since this thing rarely focuses. And I can guarantee it's not user error. I've shot weddings, dance recitals, portraits, sports, etc. professionally so I'm familiar with the basics of photography, how cameras work and what makes a good image. I love BlackBerry, but I'm hoping this is revised in 10.3.1, because I'll drop the passport for their next top tier all-touch phone despite my love for this keyboard.
    Im not here to call anybody out, but if you were shooting professionally in things like weddings and sports, you would understand that it is absolutely not hardwear and some of what you are describing is user error (although the Blackberry makes it harder).

Front focusing and "blowing out the back" is a depth of field item that is done with aperture. Early on in photo 101, you learn about manipulating exposure and aperture controls depth of field. The larger the opening for each shot, the smaller the amount of your photo will be in focus.

Modern day DSLRs have a setting called aperture priority for this in which the camera is completely auto except for this single control for the very thing you are discussing. Some phone cameras have gone to great lengths to work with this with mini-aperture controls.

For those that do not believe it is software related, with what people are struggling with, consider everything the camera does on a cell phone is done via software. There are no physical light reflections or mirrors doing anything at all. No lens is moving to focus or zoom. It is completely digital and manipulated through the software.

Blackberry has the ability (one would think) to create a fix for this. To give you a parallel example look at the DSLR world of cameras. They have been putting out cameras that shoot video for a number of years now, but none of them could handle movement right because it was software related. The lenses were fantastic and clearly capable. I shoot both Nikon and Canon DSLRs and up until recently (and Nikon still isnt there) video was awful. Canon fixed that with software where you tap on the screen where you want to focus and in that instant it shoots in their fairly recent 70D model. No need to tap the screen and then click shoot.

I actually think the Blackberry Passport is a very capable camera. The video comes out incredibly well done and in still photo situations, the lens performs. With its unique form factor, I am of the opinion that they went with too many artificial steps to add stabilization because of how people hold the larger device (early Note phones struggled with this as well). By doing so, it slows it down by fractions of the second and then add the ability to hit with no movement and you are stuck with far too many blurry images.

Hopefully they fix this soon.
    kbz1960 and Peter Johnson4 like this.
    12-22-14 06:05 AM
    Can someone tell me what's wrong with this Passport picture?
    Attachment 322130
    Posted via CB10
    It's not French wine, maybe ?

On a more serious POV: guys, you're going to smile or treat me bad. But just before you do : CLEAN the camera lens and try again.
    In many cases it changed drastically both quality ('blur') and focus speed for me (any devices, BTW) .

Sometimes, the simplest fix solves the most complex problem (say the former hotliner).

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 06:33 AM
    Im not here to call anybody out, but if you were shooting professionally in things like weddings and sports, you would understand that it is absolutely not hardwear and some of what you are describing is user error (although the Blackberry makes it harder).

Front focusing and "blowing out the back" is a depth of field item that is done with aperture. Early on in photo 101, you learn about manipulating exposure and aperture controls depth of field. The larger the opening for each shot, the smaller the amount of your photo will be in focus.

Modern day DSLRs have a setting called aperture priority for this in which the camera is completely auto except for this single control for the very thing you are discussing. Some phone cameras have gone to great lengths to work with this with mini-aperture controls.

For those that do not believe it is software related, with what people are struggling with, consider everything the camera does on a cell phone is done via software. There are no physical light reflections or mirrors doing anything at all. No lens is moving to focus or zoom. It is completely digital and manipulated through the software.

Blackberry has the ability (one would think) to create a fix for this. To give you a parallel example look at the DSLR world of cameras. They have been putting out cameras that shoot video for a number of years now, but none of them could handle movement right because it was software related. The lenses were fantastic and clearly capable. I shoot both Nikon and Canon DSLRs and up until recently (and Nikon still isnt there) video was awful. Canon fixed that with software where you tap on the screen where you want to focus and in that instant it shoots in their fairly recent 70D model. No need to tap the screen and then click shoot.

I actually think the Blackberry Passport is a very capable camera. The video comes out incredibly well done and in still photo situations, the lens performs. With its unique form factor, I am of the opinion that they went with too many artificial steps to add stabilization because of how people hold the larger device (early Note phones struggled with this as well). By doing so, it slows it down by fractions of the second and then add the ability to hit with no movement and you are stuck with far too many blurry images.

Hopefully they fix this soon.
    Fixed-focus lenses for camera phones with wide/infinite depth of field are a thing of the past. Most modern day flagship have actuated lenses moved by tiny motors. The movement is very small and it is not intended for zooming (which is done by software) but is intended for focusing. You are correct though that it is the software which drives this motor based on algorithms and comparison of contrast and sharpness of the digital image. The software then drives the motors. Given that the lens doesn't actually have to move far it's not the physical hardware that is causing the problem. Rather it is the algorithm used to determine that the image is already in focus thus the lens doesn't need to move anymore.

At any rate, you can't blame user error for the software issue because user cannot manually focus the lens nor do they have full control of the setting (just some few preset settings). Not unlike the Lumia 1020 which has a full dial of controls that mimic real DSLR manual mode.

You seem to be always pointing out that the hardware is not the problem but the user is. Then say that it's the software that is to blame and hope for an update. Now a days hardware+software makes the product. A faulty software can make a good hardware bad. You cannot separate those two. So all those saying that the camera is bad may be referring to the software or the whole camera experience. You cannot separate those two when evaluating the product as a whole.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 09:30 AM
    You seem to be always pointing out that the hardware is not the problem but the user is. Then say that it's the software that is to blame and hope for an update. Now a days hardware+software makes the product. A faulty software can make a good hardware bad. You cannot separate those two. So all those saying that the camera is bad may be referring to the software or the whole camera experience. You cannot separate those two when evaluating the product as a whole.
    This basically sums up what I was saying.
    12-22-14 09:59 AM
    This basically sums up what I was saying.
    Except.....
    It is difficult to *get around* hardware. If there is a problem or fault, you are stuck with it. Really *really* clever software can make up for some hardware problems (eg. hubbles "glasses"), but it is never the same. When you have good hardware, and ordinary software, you can normally find a way around it. At the very least, software updates can solve the problem, rather than get around it.

So, what many people are saying is: yes, there are software problems at the moment, however here is how you *get around* them. The solutions aren't perfect, however it lets the good hardware show what it can do. Now you can either rant and rave that the software is terrible, or do something about it. Anyone who just says the camera is bad really doesn't know what they are talking about - sorry. I'm sure BB knows about the software problems by now, so extra ranting is superfluous. Until the software is fixed, why not try the work arounds? You might just take some awesome photos....
    bb10_fan likes this.
    12-22-14 05:00 PM
    OP: what is your OS version ?
    I agree, I had to spend some time to get used to the camera behavior. But once you've made some trial, you can choose best settings combinations and/or put yourself in a situation that will render the best.
    P.S: Please remember HDR is for still images only.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 10:31 PM
    Except.....
    So, what many people are saying is: yes, there are software problems at the moment, however here is how you *get around* them. The solutions aren't perfect, however it lets the good hardware show what it can do. Now you can either rant and rave that the software is terrible, or do something about it. Anyone who just says the camera is bad really doesn't know what they are talking about - sorry. I'm sure BB knows about the software problems by now, so extra ranting is superfluous. Until the software is fixed, why not try the work arounds? You might just take some awesome photos....
    Camera is bad. Period...whether it is software or hardware...I don't know and I don't have the time to find out. Like I said...I don't mind not being able to install my favorite apps (instagram, viber, zinio, and other local Philippine apps) because my Passport makes me efficient at work (emails with attachments)...esp since I travel a lot. That is why I love my BlackBerry phones.

This is not "extra ranting". In fact I rarely post in forums. I was just expressing my sentiments. I was really surprised with the number of replies this forum got...was so surprised that I showed my wife (who's an iPhone6 user by the way)...he he. And...if you didn't go through the whole thread...my frustration came about when I couldn't take good pics of my baby girl...esp when she is moving or when I am carrying her before leaving for work. That's all there is. So whether the problem is in the software or hardware or maybe even the user...I don't know. All I know is I that I couldn't always take good pics from my Passport (which I love dearly!) like I used to with my other BlackBerry phones. Thus, I use my Z10 or Z30 to take pics...unless my baby's asleep...hopefully, with everyday exposure of my daughter to my phones, I'll be able to create another loyal BlackBerry user out of her. =) It's going to be a challenge though coz her 2 brothers are iPhone 5 and 6 users like their mom.

Happy Holidays...from a loyal BlackBerry user since 2007.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 11:10 PM
    Camera seems pretty good to me pretty clear pictures.

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141221_192552.jpg

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141221_192424.jpg
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141221_192911.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 11:44 PM
    Camera seems pretty good to me pretty clear pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141221_192552.jpg 
Views:	1391 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	322517

Name:	IMG_20141221_192424.jpg 
Views:	1392 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	322518

Name:	IMG_20141221_192911.jpg 
Views:	1397 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	322519

Posted via CB10
    As mentioned in this thread, we all know the Passport takes nice picture, but what most of the people are talking that the Passport camera takes long to time to get the focus, especially in a low light situation, because of the long time (2-3 seconds) taken by the camera to get focus, we cannot take a quick shot in certain situations.
    kbz1960 and gson_ve like this.
    12-22-14 11:54 PM
    Those are excellent images on stationary objects taken in even light. Doesn't take a good camera to capture them.

BlackBerry sort out this issue!! Every pic I've taken this christmas morning has been blurry. And dubai is a ssuuunnyyy place!

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 04:03 AM
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141225_075718.jpg
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141225_073240.jpg
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141224_072354.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 04:08 AM
    These are good examples of the camera problems. Well, 1 and 3 are. 2 is not a problem as such. Low light indoors, long shutter, subject moving. A DSLR would do the same thing. Use the flash. For fast moving indoor shots, the flash will help. We all love natural light, no flash shots. Remember that the shutter is open longer, so moving things will blur.

1 and 2 are perfect examples of bad focus. No more needs to be said

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 05:16 AM
    As a professional photographer i can tell you, these were not 'low light conditions'. The subjects were barely moving - none of these are action shots.

I have had BB's for years - never had camera issues to the point I've needed to research/complain. This camera is useless. I'm going back to my z10 til there's an update on this problem. This thread wouldn't have so many participants if this wasn't a legit issue.

Posted via CB10
    grungebetty likes this.
    12-25-14 05:59 AM
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141225_113129.png

Check Out TechCraze
    12-25-14 06:10 AM
    As a professional photographer i can tell you, these were not 'low light conditions'. The subjects were barely moving - none of these are action shots.

I have had BB's for years - never had camera issues to the point I've needed to research/complain. This camera is useless. I'm going back to my z10 til there's an update on this problem. This thread wouldn't have so many participants if this wasn't a legit issue.

Posted via CB10
    You are absolutely correct! Frustrating how far the "BlackBerry can do no wrong crowd" will go to try and justify shoddy performance.

I love many things about my Passport, but the camera is virtually worthless. It CAN take good pics... but you cannot rely on it. In fact in some conditions it will not properly focus no matter how long you give it, even by tapping screen for manual focus.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackberry_geek; 12-25-14 at 09:43 AM.
    12-25-14 08:30 AM
    I do Agree with you, camera is good once you learn how to use it, if you wait a couple of seconds it will adjust itself and you can snap great pics.
    Nagative. Not always. Sometimes I'm shaking my camera or on screen focusing. Sure it takes great stills. But this vacation was spent deleting more blurred quick pics than good ones.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 08:44 AM
    Posted via CB10
    I'm interested in the exif info for the motion blur shot. As the PP camera has very few options, you need to trick it into choosing the right exposure. As an instamatic, this makes it a terrible camera I agree. As a pro, I'm sure you rarely take photos on auto. You would select aperture for depth of field etc. I would be happy with a simple hyperfocal mode, which allowed instant photos without focus.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 05:46 PM
    Focusing is the only complaint I have about the passport, it happens from time to time, it seems very sensitive. Ohwell I didn't buy the passport for the camera anyways.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    12-26-14 07:17 PM
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141223_172809.jpg

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    12-26-14 07:20 PM
    Is there a plan for an update in OS 10.3.1 ?
    12-26-14 07:20 PM
    Pic with filters applied
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141226_213831.jpg
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141226_213831_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 08:44 PM
535 ... 56789 ...