Over the past 5-8 years smartphone camera quality has significantly and steadily improved year upon year. If it was all software then slightly older smartphones should be able to take photos just as well but they can't. I'm guessing that camera quality wasn't at the top of the priority list when designing the Passport.
    There are examples where software updates sometimes dramatically improved the experience for taking pictures. Smoother interface, more options, better white balance, improved focus, better algorithms for image processing. The Lumia 1020, 1520 and last but not least the 930/Icon are decent examples. Same for the older Nokia 808.

It is true that software won't do miracles for crappy hardware, yet vice versa a good set of hardware can be highly limited by lame software.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-19-14 08:23 AM
    I was also in the 'AF is too slow' camp - until yesterday. I was in the Microsoft Store with my daughter, and she decided to join some kids dancing to some dance game on the store's Xbox. I took some shots in Auto mode, with focus lock. Turned out pretty crappy, like this:

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141218_173736.jpg

Then I switched the camera to Action mode, and took some photos in rapid succession, like this:

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141218_173805.jpg

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141218_173806.jpg

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141218_173820.jpg

Everything is in focus, the only problems with the photos are my position and the coat clutter on the display table.

So if you need to take some shots of moving objects - there is a special setting for it! Don't use the auto mode, it's a compromise in the worst sense of the word.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    Superfly_FR, nyallj and acfalco like this.
    12-19-14 09:50 AM
    There are examples where software updates sometimes dramatically improved the experience for taking pictures. Smoother interface, more options, better white balance, improved focus, better algorithms for image processing. The Lumia 1020, 1520 and last but not least the 930/Icon are decent examples. Same for the older Nokia 808.

It is true that software won't do miracles for crappy hardware, yet vice versa a good set of hardware can be highly limited by lame software.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely. They can do some incredible things with camera software and fixing it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-19-14 09:56 AM
    Can someone tell me what's wrong with this Passport picture?
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141220_134053.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 06:14 PM
    Agreed, focusing is too bad.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 07:44 PM
    Whatever is wrong with the camera it makes it a pain to use. It's really that simple... I don't expect to be using my phone camera like it's a SLR camera nor do I expect to be using an SLR camera because the phone camera is a pain to use. I expect to be using a phone camera, and I expect to be able to take relatively quick photos with it.
    Exactly!

And further... why in the h377 did camera go backwards from previous lower spec models? I was perfectly happy with the camera on my Z10. The camera on Passport is pathetic and embarrassing!

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 08:16 PM
    Focus speed aside, I'm really disappointed with the quality of the images. Not sharp, pixelated/noisy. I'm not looking to make prints or anything, but the occasional quality snapshot would be appreciated. If I need to take an actual photo, I bring my pro-level DSLR and lenses with me.
    12-20-14 08:29 PM
    Nuts that this company continues to go backwards w new products. Should be such a logical progression. Each new product should move the bar higher. It's not a surprise that a camera is a huge component of why ppl buy these devices. And to not come out w t the best camera ever introduced is so strategically broken that it's obv a such a cultural flaw and explains why the company is such a historic financial disaster.
    12-20-14 08:30 PM
    You need Snap! I'm running official ATT os and have no issues with my camera. With Snap I use Instagram religiously lol I love it!
    12-20-14 08:35 PM
    You need Snap! I'm running official ATT os and have no issues with my camera. With Snap I use Instagram religiously lol I love it!
    Did you wander into the wrong thread? Lol!

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 11:34 PM
    Focus speed aside, I'm really disappointed with the quality of the images. Not sharp, pixelated/noisy. I'm not looking to make prints or anything, but the occasional quality snapshot would be appreciated. If I need to take an actual photo, I bring my pro-level DSLR and lenses with me.
    myboxerssayjoe - Have you tried all the settings? This is the best quality photo pics on all the bb10 devices I've had, the slow or mis-focus has been the biggest point of contention for users. Check there's a BBM channel and other passport photo threads which show how good the quality is. Myself, the big issue I've only had is taking dark night shots sometimes and sometimes action shots.
    12-21-14 02:18 AM
    Oh barf. The camera works great on the latest leak

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 02:24 AM
    Go get an IPhone and leave us alone on crackberry

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 02:37 AM

Posted via CB10
    Here's a clue... don't open the thread if you don't wish to read about real issues.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 03:11 AM
    Agree!!! I thought maybe i got a dud.. hopefully there is a software update to resolve! Possible?

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 04:27 AM
    There will be a software update I guarantee it. The hardware and general consensus in the camera world think this camera could be quite stellar. Its a business productivity device, so it will not be the best option out there, but stable yes.

As to those that are not getting good pictures. That would in most cases be a user issue. If you are getting grain or blur. That is a user issue. The issue with this software is a focusing issue and the time it takes to do so. Now before going on, I can say that there are settings that minimize this problem. Most people go with auto/auto and shoot away. It is slow as all get out in those modes.

Try a few others such as turning auto suggest off. The auto suggest feature while solid can be treacherous on time taking up to half a second to select. Instead pick one that best suits and if it does not turn out so hot, fix post shot with a quick adjustment or filter.
    Peter Johnson4 likes this.
    12-21-14 05:41 AM
    Since it defaults to auto by the time a person does all that the moment is over. So its either blurry moment or missed. I'm not even talking about the passport. They made my Z30 camera take worse pics. That's why I'm convinced software can fix it.
    12-21-14 06:54 AM
    Sorry tourvan dude- but a user issue for blur on 80% of pics taken in daylight when I've never experienced this on previous BBs is a phone problem.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 08:31 AM
    Oh yeah, serious autofocus problems on this phone. Fingers crossed it gets fixed.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 08:48 AM
    Oh barf. The camera works great on the latest leak

Posted via CB10
    Really? Pics. Do you have any? Right... Zero.

Posted via CB10
    Fail.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-21-14 10:01 AM
    Has anyone tried downgrading a passport to 10.2.1? I'd love to see how the camera works with that OS

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:10 AM
    Sorry tourvan dude- but a user issue for blur on 80% of pics taken in daylight when I've never experienced this on previous BBs is a phone problem.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 12:54 PM
    I use my passport all the time to take action photos in my Martial arts class. I use the time shift mode with amazing results every time. Some of my students with iPhones are very impressed. No issues for me at all!!

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 01:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    Im not here to argue with you, if you want to believe that...fine by me. Its incorrect, but it is what it is.
    Hence the reason video and a change of settings removes the issue for most. The camera is more than capable hardware wise.
    12-21-14 01:14 PM
    Here is what I found out. The camera is really slow especially when objects are moving and you turn on HDR. What I noticed is when you do a video recording, and hit the photo capture, the picture seems fine. This is a good workaround while waiting for the SW fix. Recorded video is awesome on quality.
    12-21-14 04:14 PM
535 ... 45678 ...