Confirm. AF is very slow. The pictures are of good quality, but slow AF operation is annoying.
    12-17-14 07:55 AM
    I love these threads, seems to be a real predictable script when someone is commenting negatively on the device.

"Works for me OP, must be you"

Notice all the pics are controlled setup shots where one could try many times to get the one that looks great? I have been embarrassed a couple of times now when taking pics in a group...from me having to tell them "wait let me try another" to "its a new phone just trying to figure it out" just to cover up the fuzzy action pics.

Don't get me wrong, some come through with amazing brilliance...I just don't try now when out with friends.

:facepalm:
    Like seriously, would you rather people lie? Oh btw, not everyone is anal. Most technology need constant tweaking to get better and better.
    12-17-14 08:41 AM
    Ignorance is bliss eh? The camera focus sucks. It doesn't matter what some of you may believe.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 09:21 AM
    Good god man! How many times do we have to say this - moving subjects!

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't matter.....I'm still not having any issues with the blurriness.
    12-17-14 09:30 AM
    It doesn't matter.....I'm still not having any issues with the blurriness.
    Sure you aren't. OK.

Posted via CB10
    grungebetty likes this.
    12-17-14 09:37 AM
    I think some of the Nokia phone cameras are far superior to the iPhone camera. Whether there is a better tool for the job or not, I see people taking photos of whiteboards, real estate, best practices, worst practices, social media marketing pics, etc. with their phones. It's part of doing work. To the extent BlackBerry fails to include a usable camera, they are failing to make devices that are as good as others for part of what the mobile workforce uses phones for. This is a big failure and BlackBerry needs to address it. I don't know if I need a bunch of instagram-like filters -- it's nice, but not essential -- but making every shot blur like the shutter speed setting is too slow and having unbearable autofocus is just not winning.
    Fair point. Yet I reiterate, if that feature is the very important to you, and many reviews of the Passport spoke to the camera's weakness, don't buy the phone then moan about the camera's performance. It's like a kid that chooses pistachio ice cream then bemoans the fact he didn't get chocolate mint like the kid next to him. You know what you're getting.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 09:51 AM
    Wh- what? It sucks?

The Z30 camera is better than the Passport camera?
    12-17-14 11:51 AM
    Like seriously, would you rather people lie? Oh btw, not everyone is anal. Most technology need constant tweaking to get better and better.
    No I just don't like when anytime someone comes in with a bug report or an issue with performance the thread quickly turns into a binary one where there are folks that have the very same issue and folks that do not. That is understandable but eventually the tone turns from the group having no issues diagnosing the root cause of the problem being located between the keyboard and chair.

For example it has been posted a couple of times here that we don't know how to use the camera which is why we are having issues.

For me I find the Passports Camera less effective than my Z30. What is the difference, is it related to the device or the blob of goo holding it?
    bbmtna, Chrisy and grungebetty like this.
    12-17-14 12:40 PM
    Well, I know who I believe but you are entitled to think differently.

Posted via CB10
    Deckard79 - that's okay, that's what forums is about, engaging discussion. Your source feels that way, but then why is Blackberry looking for a new camera software team according to the job ads. Here's an example it is widely known and been confirmed that both Nikon and Pentax use the same camera sensor module in the Pentax K-3 and the Nikon D7100 but when it comes to the actual digital photos produced the colours are different, the saturation is different, the focus points are different, why, because the software programmers are different and they see light and colour differently.

Your QNX source can say whatever they want and you seem to have the ear of one of them, which is great because you get to know what's going before most of us but I've worked in software companies and just because you're an expert software programmer in the OS doesn't mean you're a great programmer at the reports that the software creates. They both belong to the software but in much different areas and require different skillsets usually.
    12-17-14 04:30 PM
    im curious when a sturgeon would ever have been ready and posed for the shot.

"assuming" please. you just stated you are running a leak and still complain, and then i go back to my coment above about when the sturgeon would stop and pose for the shot, guess you should have knocked him out first, then taken the shot.

ps you might want to clean the camera glass
    12-17-14 05:37 PM
    The video camera is the best I've ever seen. The image stabilization is unbelievably good. We were comparing with iPhone 6+ and the Passport wins hands-down.

Try action mode for shots with a lot of movement. Works pretty well for me. The focus speed is a bit slow in standard mode though. Taking shots in 4:3 aspect ratio seems to speed it up a bit.

It's really not a bad camera, but you have to figure it out. I have some excellent shots to prove this.
    12-17-14 09:03 PM
    As already been stated in this thread, the quality of the photos are excellent. I do have difficulty taking quick shots of my kids who are moving around though, and not even moving around a lot. I have some brilliant, vibrant photos taken spontaneously on my phone...but I also have quite a few blurry ones that I end up deleting.

To those who say that it's not important and that one should just use a dedicated camera for taking serious photos, I think we have to recognize that for a lot of people, we're not trying to take long-lasting compositions that will be printed and framed on your wall. We just want to capture an interesting moment and possibly share it with others. Not to disrespect photography but they're "commodity" photos. Quick and fast. Click. Done. I'm looking forward to the the OS update; hopefully the auto-focus will be improved on the Passport.

On the topic of video, almost all my videos are stellar. Quality is great, frame speed is great, audio is great. Overall, for both photos and videos, the Passport is excellent...but I'm not putting away my DSLR just yet.
    dejanh and grungebetty like this.
    12-17-14 09:22 PM
    Those who have blurry images, have you tried to use burst mode of the camera? It will produce many images, but at least you'll have a higher chance of getting one out of 20 which is in focus and with Kodak moment
    12-18-14 02:51 AM
    Here is a picture I took with my Passport.
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141212_230349.jpg

Posted with my Awesome unlocked Passport on AT&T
    12-18-14 05:49 AM
    Oh, I am running 10.3.1.1154 leak

Posted with my Awesome unlocked Passport on AT&T
    12-18-14 05:52 AM
    Fair point. Yet I reiterate, if that feature is the very important to you, and many reviews of the Passport spoke to the camera's weakness, don't buy the phone then moan about the camera's performance. It's like a kid that chooses pistachio ice cream then bemoans the fact he didn't get chocolate mint like the kid next to him. You know what you're getting.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, it is the feedback from users such as the OP that help others to realize that the focus of the PPs camera is not good especially on moving objects. I believe that is the purpose of this forum and threads like this in the forum.

And the purpose of this forum is also for other members to chime in their opinions, work around, settings, etc. That will help the other members who are also experiencing this problem.

If he buys this phone then doesn't bemoan it's camera then he is doing disservice to the other potential buyers of this phone who are making a decision on whether to buy the phone or not.

At any rate, I hope they can fix the AF speed of the passport since this is a valid issue especially for those that use their camera phones a lot.

Again, Camera is good on still objects. Video recording is also good. But for fast moving objects, even the burst mode sometimes can't even capture a non-blurry picture.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 06:20 AM
    Are you for real. It has on of the better cameras.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 07:11 AM
    Finally I tried the Passport today. I compared the camera with some phones next to it - Sony Z3, HTC M8, Samsung S5 - and I must say the Passport camera is nowhere near the quality of these. I mean, nowhere near. I'm feeling a but depressed because I really need a good camera on my work phone and I was counting on buying the Passport, yet I'm not sure what do do now.

What a downer...
    12-18-14 12:19 PM
    Finally I tried the Passport today. I compared the camera with some phones next to it - Sony Z3, HTC M8, Samsung S5 - and I must say the Passport camera is nowhere near the quality of these. I mean, nowhere near. I'm feeling a but depressed because I really need a good camera on my work phone and I was counting on buying the Passport, yet I'm not sure what do do now.

What a downer...
    I don't know what your particular requirements are, however the Passport is so much better than those devices you listed productivity wise that it honestly compensates and then some for all of the shortcomings of the camera. Don't get me wrong, they need to improve the camera, no doubt, but to not get the phone because of the camera is a mistake. Again, this is my opinion and your particular requirements may dictate otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 01:09 PM
    Also having issues with the AF on mine. Still targets are eay pickings and produce really good results, but the slightest bit of motion and I get terrible blur. Ive played with settings but have resigned myself to the fact that until a software update corrects the issue Im stuck with some excellent hardware potential but no delivery. I dont think people need DSLR quality from a cell phone camera, but knowing that the software can be optimized to correct this issue is what bothers me. My wifes iPhone is truly point and shoot and majority of the time takes a really solid shot. Im sure its not a DSLR quality either to those that are really into their photography, but it easily outstrips what I can get from my passport. Im sure improvements are coming with new engineers being hired, in the mean time I will enjoy the phone for all the other great features and endure the heckling from my iSheep wife when she quickly and easily points, clicks, and captures the moment. At least I can rub it in that she is going share it with me on BBM because Blackberry still has the best messaging around.
    12-18-14 01:54 PM
    Most camera problems aren't going to be solved with software.
    12-18-14 02:00 PM
    So you saying they used a crappy camera?
    12-19-14 05:36 AM
    True in a general sense, however cell phone cameras while normal are very much more controlled by software. In fact there are no manual controls, so outside of a dirty lens or hardware malfunction (which is not the case), every issue reported in here so far is a software issue.

The question is will it be resolved or tweaked. I think the camera takes good shots. However the auto focus is not up to par with the rest of the build of the camera. It goes back to the device and the camera seems more like an afterthought. Solid camera hardwear, but software is far behind. Reminds me of a few Samsung phones a few years ago that had really laggy camera autofocus. They corrected that with the S3.

Here is to hoping they fix it in a software update, because as most are seeing with the video option, the lens is capable of shooting fantastic images.
    kbz1960 and Barbareren like this.
    12-19-14 05:55 AM
    Over the past 5-8 years smartphone camera quality has significantly and steadily improved year upon year. If it was all software then slightly older smartphones should be able to take photos just as well but they can't. I'm guessing that camera quality wasn't at the top of the priority list when designing the Passport.
    12-19-14 07:39 AM
    Over the past 5-8 years smartphone camera quality has significantly and steadily improved year upon year. If it was all software then slightly older smartphones should be able to take photos just as well but they can't. I'm guessing that camera quality wasn't at the top of the priority list when designing the Passport.
    Its not all software...but most of the autofocusing is software related.
    Then add lens quality, pixel count, etc. All things continued to improve (although I would argue year over year not so much on a hardware side of things).

The Passport camera does not appear to have any hardware issues. The lens is solid as shown in the great photos it can take and the video is fantastic. The auto focus is an issue for many as well as speed. These are very much software related issues.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-19-14 08:22 AM
535 ... 34567 ...