I seriously can't understand the mentality of people who choose to use a phone to record the growth and early life of a beloved offspring, rather than using the correct tool for doing such, which is a digital camera. What is wrong with you people?
    Personally? Nothing is wrong with me. I use a high end point-and-shoot when it is called for. I tend to use my phone for capturing those candid in the moment pictures. I see something and go "oh my I need a picture of that" and whip out my phone. An example would be when I saw that WWII motorbike with sidecar going down the street. With the Passport that bike would have been long gone before I had a chance to take a picture.

Why is that so hard for people to understand?
    12-16-14 07:10 PM
    Yes, Passport in low light situation with moving kids yield worse results event in action mode. Hope we will have software update soon.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 08:13 PM
    I seriously can't understand the mentality of people who choose to use a phone to record the growth and early life of a beloved offspring, rather than using the correct tool for doing such, which is a digital camera. What is wrong with you people?
    I do use a digital camera, which is a Canon 5D mark II. The reality is when a moment Is happening I don't have time to run around the house to grab that big sucker. My phone though, is always in my pocket. In this day and age it isn't a lot to ask for the camera to focus on a object that is slightly moving... Which is what the OP had an issue with.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Barbareren, Chrisy and gson_ve like this.
    12-16-14 08:20 PM
    There is taking the time to enjoy the moment first then if convenient and non obtrusive grab a digital memory. These helicopter parents I see while on a photo shoot....errrrr vacation, with the selfie sticks and the full on photo crew worth of equipment make me sad.

Major events, yea no issue there...use a proper recording device. Random life events are far too precious, random and spontaneous to be so contrived and to be bothered to go grab that "special tool" to capture.

Time and place....

I love my PP and it is on me all the time, I just want it to be ready to grab that spontaneous and unprepared moment...I fear however that it will not be as ready as I am.
    12-16-14 08:56 PM
    i cant say i love the pp camera. it freezes on me at time and i have to say it is quite embarrassing.
    hope 10.3.1 addresses the issues.
    12-16-14 09:07 PM
    All BB10 devices are similar I guess! Maybe Blackberry decided to put its signature on every BB10 device lol
    12-16-14 09:13 PM
    I'm not seeing the OP's issue on my Passport. Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141203_184610.jpg

I'm not having any problems.
    Naeg1995 likes this.
    12-16-14 09:19 PM
    Good god man! How many times do we have to say this - moving subjects!

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 10:07 PM
    Yes, just yesterday I was feeding the neighbours cats. Tried to take some photos of them while they were roaming around me - next to impossible with the slow and unreliable focus. It was a sunny winter day btw, so darkness didn't influence the focus.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 10:51 PM
    Might change the title of the thread a little so people understand the issue. It is not the camera, but the focus speed of the camera.
    Barbareren likes this.
    12-16-14 11:07 PM
    Sorry but for some the Camera on a smartphone IS their one and only Camera - as makers of Point and Shoot Cameras will sadly tell you. Just got back from a Cruise.... five years ago everyone had these hybrid or low end DSLR Cameras (I had just spent $500 on a Cannon one myself). This time I rarely saw even a highend DSLR, most everyone was using their smartphone.... or unfortunate many were using their iPADs. People are different, and there were a few with what looked like VERY high end space age cameras... but they were by far the minority.

Try snapping a photo on your highend Henri Carrier-Bresson and then editing and posting it to Instagram within a few minutes (or at least by the time you reach the next port with affordable mobile service). That's what some today are more interested in...

And simply put how many of us know how to use a highend DSLR properly... Point and Shoot was what the majority of us could use. And my wife's iPhone 6 takes better pictures than any past Point and Shoot we ever owned.
    1. Henri Cartier-Bresson was a a rather famous photographer not a camera.

2. I acknowledged that the iPhone has a better camera. In fact it is my brother's only camera and he has snapped some great pics with it. I realize for some people that is all they need.

3. My point was that if you're going to spend $500+ and want a great camera, get a camera. Everyone knows iPhone have the best cameras for phones. So if that is an important feature for you get the iPhone. I buy Blackberries because they are better communication devices for what I do than the iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 11:58 PM
    Actually, you can't always bring your DSLR or Digital Camera with you. On special occasions such as recitals, graduations, soccer games, etc., you could have your DSLR with you. But it is the unrehearsed, candid moments that you want to capture on a device handy enough to carry on a daily basis.

It is for this reason, I have a Lumia 1020. Which I use as my secondary phone. My passport is my daily driver, and honestly it's camera is not up to par when capturing fast moving objects. And the interface not intuitive to change the settings on the fly. The camera interface of the Nokia and even the Galaxy Series is intuitive making changes to settings easy.

Posted via CB10
    gson_ve likes this.
    12-17-14 12:10 AM
    It must be me then. I always have a P&S camera at hand 95% of the time I think I may need it. I use the phone when I quickly want to share a pic on social media. If a tool I'm using isn't up to the job I use a better tool.
    12-17-14 02:21 AM
    Yep agreed! Listen, I LOVE my BlackBerry Passport a lot and ain't getting rid of it anytime soon..... BUT, the camera is literally the biggest POS camera from any of the phones I've owned. I'm sure it can take great pics (when it focuses properly) and that's few and far between.

Hopefully there's a software fix one day and not just hardware as the problem. Bash my comment all you want but it's true. I hate taking pictures with this thing. My Z10 and 9900 were way better.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 02:56 AM
    A digital camera
    Barbareren and nbaliga like this.
    12-17-14 05:18 AM
    Just in case no one actually wants to tap on the link.

Attachment 321166

Posted via CB10
    I have that OS on my Z30 and pics are worse than they use to be. What version fixes it?
    12-17-14 05:29 AM
    10.3.1 has the improved camera software. just wait for official update... or load the leak
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-17-14 05:43 AM
    I suspect it's the software. The BB10 camera app has had unbearably slow focus since the beginning. I'm not sure that it's all that much worse on the Passport, although it does seem to take longer sometimes.
    12-17-14 05:49 AM
    10.3.1 has the improved camera software. just wait for official update... or load the leak
    It still sucks. I've noticed a slight improvement, I think. But, I'm not sure. I understand Chen is trying to reduce BlackBerry's licensing costs, but I wonder if this isn't an instance where they need to license a third party solution. Or, buy a photo app startup with some boy genius and tell him or her that he gets an extra hundred grand if things are solved by the launch of 10.3.1, which I'm guessing will be tomorrow... ;-)
    12-17-14 05:55 AM
    OP: what is your OS version ?
    I agree, I had to spend some time to get used to the camera behavior. But once you've made some trial, you can choose best settings combinations and/or put yourself in a situation that will render the best.
    P.S: Please remember HDR is for still images only.
    12-17-14 06:11 AM
    its a smartphone not a slr camera some people are never happy.

posted via northwest with my passport

PS: i just took 20 pics NOT WITH MY PHONE
    wincyUt likes this.
    12-17-14 06:14 AM
    3. My point was that if you're going to spend $500+ and want a great camera, get a camera. Everyone knows iPhone have the best cameras for phones. So if that is an important feature for you get the iPhone. I buy Blackberries because they are better communication devices for what I do than the iPhone.
    I think some of the Nokia phone cameras are far superior to the iPhone camera. Whether there is a better tool for the job or not, I see people taking photos of whiteboards, real estate, best practices, worst practices, social media marketing pics, etc. with their phones. It's part of doing work. To the extent BlackBerry fails to include a usable camera, they are failing to make devices that are as good as others for part of what the mobile workforce uses phones for. This is a big failure and BlackBerry needs to address it. I don't know if I need a bunch of instagram-like filters -- it's nice, but not essential -- but making every shot blur like the shutter speed setting is too slow and having unbearable autofocus is just not winning.
    12-17-14 06:19 AM
    It's true, I get cleaner photos from my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 06:48 AM
    I have 10.3.1.1154 on my Z30. The pictures are worse than they were in previous OS's. The focus is slow. Which mythical OS fixed it? One no one can get yet?

I'm convinced it's software as it was better before.
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    12-17-14 06:56 AM
    So now all the crap comes out...slowly.

Makes me wonder if I should keep my Z10 and Q5....

Posted via CB10
    I just came from the Z10 to the Passport. Z10 camera is still much worse than the Passport, not to mention the awful Z10 battery.
    wincyUt likes this.
    12-17-14 07:45 AM
535 ... 23456 ...