Yes cannot even compared with iPhone 5. I knew this but I purchased since I don't do photos with phone.

Passport
    12-16-14 07:55 AM
    Deckard79- thanks for offering great insight here. For users that are struggling with the Passport camera, is it possible to just lock the focus to infinity? Then you don't have to wait for focus, just take the pic. (like a 9900!) Most phone pics are at full wide angle anyway (with deeper depth of field) and with subjects well beyond the minimum focal distance.
    12-16-14 08:39 AM
    I agree Passport camera is a bit worst. My Q10 is far better when taking pictures plus autofocus functions very well than the Passport. But hey, Passport is still an awesome device!

PasaportePilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    Eno Karapici likes this.
    12-16-14 08:59 AM
    10.3.1 will fix this issue.. sit tight and wait..
    12-16-14 09:07 AM
    Thanks for the tips, guys! It's just that I have a 1 year old baby girl and I used to take a lot of pics of her using my Z10...and then Z30 before I got my Passport. But since the Passport's camera (or the software of the camera) sucks...I still use my Z10 and Z30 to take pics. Ha ha.

Posted via CB10
    I'm in the exact same boat, as is my wife. We have a 1 year old daughter too. The camera is terrible. The worst performing BlackBerry camera to date. The hardware is good but the software is atrocious.

I also have a professional DSLR, but sometimes the phone is handy since wee ones are unpredictable.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 09:08 AM
    Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-20141216160825.jpg

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-20141216160731.jpg

Two images taken without any support (hand held). First few attempts produced bluey and very overexposed images no matter what scene mode was used. But once I forced flash to fire situation completely changed. In reality flash doesn't have any visible effect on images at this distance, but it triggers something in Passport digital mind that faster shutter and higher ISO would do better job than very slow shutter and low ISO. Daylight pictures look perfect, HDR especially

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141025_152817_hdr.jpg

Posted via CB10
    DawnMills likes this.
    12-16-14 09:15 AM
    Deckard79- thanks for offering great insight here. For users that are struggling with the Passport camera, is it possible to just lock the focus to infinity? Then you don't have to wait for focus, just take the pic. (like a 9900!) Most phone pics are at full wide angle anyway (with deeper depth of field) and with subjects well beyond the minimum focal distance.
    Unfortunately I'm not the expert (copy-pasted that post from an email) so I have no idea

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 09:16 AM
    Point on distant object, let camera focus once. Then press and hold focus area (a small lock will appear when focus is locked). Then while camera is open you can just take pics. If you minimise it or close you'll need to repeat the same steps
    12-16-14 09:21 AM
    Whatever is wrong with the camera it makes it a pain to use. It's really that simple... I don't expect to be using my phone camera like it's a SLR camera nor do I expect to be using an SLR camera because the phone camera is a pain to use. I expect to be using a phone camera, and I expect to be able to take relatively quick photos with it.
    kbz1960, grungebetty and EsJayDee like this.
    12-16-14 10:03 AM
    Point on distant object, let camera focus once. Then press and hold focus area (a small lock will appear when focus is locked). Then while camera is open you can just take pics. If you minimise it or close you'll need to repeat the same steps
    Too late, the shot is gone.
    Because it took too many steps, the Kodak moment is gone.
    Try again.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh and grungebetty like this.
    12-16-14 10:36 AM
    Does this not remind people of the BlackBerry Bold camera fiasco? What's with BlackBerry and autofocus? Somebody doesn't like the concept of autofocus? Big fans of manual focus?

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 10:42 AM
    For people who claim that 'the Camera is worst'...I would suggest you to please visit the pictures taken with passport thread. I get beautiful pictures in my passport. I own a Canon SLR and I am very much pleased with the pictures from my passport.

Having said that, I agree that there is a glitch where autofocus cause issue and I have to manually re focus at times for the perfect shot and yeah because of the same reason, moving pictures are at times blurred in action mode too; but again it has nothing to do with the ultimate quality of pictures that PP produce normally. The said issue will be easily fixed by an update I can see. Somehow the title of this thread is wrong.
    HighFlight88 likes this.
    12-16-14 10:43 AM
    Would using a third party android camera app help here at all?

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 10:44 AM
    For people who claim that 'the Camera is worst'...I would suggest you to please visit the pictures taken with passport thread. I get beautiful pictures in my passport. I own a Canon SLR and I am very much pleased with the pictures from my passport.

Having said that, I agree that there is a glitch where autofocus cause issue and I have to manually re focus at times for the perfect shot and yeah because of the same reason, moving pictures are at times blurred in action mode too; but again it has nothing to do with the ultimate quality of pictures that PP produce normally. The said issue will be easily fixed by an update I can see. Somehow the title of this thread is wrong.
    It's definitely not the worst. Actually I quite like it overall. Just explaining the focus thing.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Deckard79; 12-16-14 at 11:01 AM.
    12-16-14 10:51 AM
    Actually, the camera is good. The software (especially focus speed) needs a bit of love. There aren't many options, but if you learn to use them, you can get stunning photos. To combat the focus speed, use focus lock. Treat the camera like a manual rather than instamatic and you won't go wrong. The camera hardware is top class.

Posted via CB10
    I do Agree with you, camera is good once you learn how to use it, if you wait a couple of seconds it will adjust itself and you can snap great pics.
    12-16-14 11:03 AM
    It even screwed the Z30 running the Leak os.

Posted via CB10
    I concur. Something about 10.3.1 camera is off when it comes to focus. I find it more difficult to take a photo with my Z30 since starting 10.3 leaks.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-16-14 11:25 AM
    The quality of the pictures is quite good. The main issue is that one has to be about a mile away to be able to include more than one person in a frame.

Posted via CB10 with my BlackBerry Passport
    12-16-14 11:31 AM
    Too late, the shot is gone.
    Because it took too many steps, the Kodak moment is gone.
    Try again.

Posted via CB10
    For Kodak moments get yourself a Kodak (new digital one, it can make pics right away too )

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 12:22 PM
    The auto-focus speed is primarily a function of the speed/accuracy of the motor in the lens module. The traditional way of doing it is called contrast-based auto-focus: basically the system steps the lens to different focus settings and takes a picture at each. It then looks at the frequency response in each of those images, and chooses the one with the most high frequencies in the region of interest (i.e. chooses the photo with the least blur). There are tricks for reducing the number of images needed, but those usually fail in low light. A full sweep takes typically 2-3s.

The modern flagship Android and iOS smartphones are using new sensor types and techniques to work around that. The best of these is phase differential auto-focus, which is what DSLRs use (see Galaxy S5 and iPhone 6). The sensor has a grid of special pixel pairs with polarising filters above them (instead of the normal colour filters). By comparing the phase between the pair, you can determine how much out-of-focus the image is. This allows you to guess how much to move the lens by, and go there in one hop, which is much faster than moving it in small increments. Unfortunately the Passport doesn�t have the hardware for that. Those sensors are very expensive.

Source - someone senior who works very closely with QNX team on driversets.

Make of it what you will...

Posted via CB10
    Deckard - I'm not in 100% agreement with what your QNX source is saying as supposedly the Passport camera module is the same as the LG G3 one so the main difference would be the software.

In the DSLR world Sony makes most of the sensors for the cameras ie. for Nikon, Pentax, etc. The difference between these companies' cameras is the software they create for colour saturation, autofocus, lighting, etc. Smartphone cameras haven't recreated the wheel from cameras other than making them smaller cameras, except for Nokia.

What Blackberry should do is hire away from Nokia some of their camera engineers and re-engineer their software. The Passport camera hardware is heads and shoulders better than the rest of the phone lineup the big problem is that they probably don't have the right camera software engineers. It's like going to your doctor and you get a resident instead of an experienced doctor they don't know what they don't know but the experienced doc can figure it out quickly.
    bb10_fan and JMDBERRY like this.
    12-16-14 12:31 PM
    I would think this day and age that camera technology would be a no brainer and would the simplest to get right. Hand held cameras are becoming a thing of the past as most people use their phone instead of buying a camera. So people do and should expect so much more from their phone.
    12-16-14 01:02 PM
    For Kodak moments get yourself a Kodak (new digital one, it can make pics right away too )

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately that's what I have to do. Use my Z10 for pics instead of my Passport. How sad is that?

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 01:13 PM
    Unfortunately that's what I have to do. Use my Z10 for pics instead of my Passport. How sad is that?

Posted via CB10
    You didn't get that sarcasm did you? Kodak doesn't t make cameras anymore.

As for the Passport camera. Your not using it right.

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141020_132616.jpg

Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141206_164733.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Passport has the worst camera so far in my opinion!-img_20141206_164204_hdr.jpg  
    12-16-14 01:27 PM
    Deckard - I'm not in 100% agreement with what your QNX source is saying as supposedly the Passport camera module is the same as the LG G3 one so the main difference would be the software.

In the DSLR world Sony makes most of the sensors for the cameras ie. for Nikon, Pentax, etc. The difference between these companies' cameras is the software they create for colour saturation, autofocus, lighting, etc. Smartphone cameras haven't recreated the wheel from cameras other than making them smaller cameras, except for Nokia.

What Blackberry should do is hire away from Nokia some of their camera engineers and re-engineer their software. The Passport camera hardware is heads and shoulders better than the rest of the phone lineup the big problem is that they probably don't have the right camera software engineers. It's like going to your doctor and you get a resident instead of an experienced doctor they don't know what they don't know but the experienced doc can figure it out quickly.
    Well, I know who I believe but you are entitled to think differently.

Posted via CB10
    John Crist likes this.
    12-16-14 01:38 PM
    you know, these type of threads annoy me. my first question to you is what OS are you running, cause if you are running any of the leaks then you dont really have any ground to stand on. the leaks are just that and until they release an official OS OPTIMIZED for the Passport i would say keep your complaints to a minimum.
    as stated by others the hardware is top notch, and BlackBerry is working feverishly to rectify the software side for the official 10.3.1. that is due out fairly soon.
    i have 2 passports in full use, and am using the various leaks that exist. as part of my job i have to use the camera and all i notice is the need to be a second or 2 more patient for the focus to happen. other wise i have some great pics.
    12-16-14 01:41 PM
    Don't get it wrong... it's not necessarily the quality of the final photo that is the problem. It's getting it to take that photo in focus, not blurred, and relatively quickly that is the actual problem. Claiming that anyone is using the camera wrong, has to do some special procedure, or what have you rather then just taking the picture is asinine. It's a freakin' phone camera, all I want it to do is take a quick picture. QUICK being the important word.

See that great picture I would have had of my buddy holding a 6 foot long sturgeon... I don't have... why? Because the fish wasn't willing to cooperate while I waited for the camera to decide if it was going to focus or not. Instead I have a bunch of pictures of the inside of a boat... odd how no one else with a phone camera had any problems.

my first question to you is what OS are you running
    Actually, that was when I was running the official OS that came on the Passport... I am now running a leak and if anything it has improved the camera. Perhaps you shouldn't assume these sorts of things.
    12-16-14 01:48 PM
535 1234 ...