So guys, my experiment with the Passport as a daily driver is coming to an end. The OS is still as good as any Android OS and much more intuitive. The battery is capable and will get you through a moderate use day. The wide screen is by far the best and most productive I have ever used, at 453ppi it is fantastic even in direct bright sunlight! The PKB is a proper BlackBerry experience in every way! The camera is ok and IS is actually quite good when shooting video. So, those are the Pros and on their own would make this a pleasure to use as a Daily Driver in 2019. Now for the Cons, short list but Nuclear Powered. The unavailability of modern or updated apps is very restrictive and my needs sadly excede availability. So in summary, I will very reluctantly be putting my Sim back into the K2 soon. 😔

PS - today I tried to dual carry, it was so distasteful and daft that I put the second phone down after a half hour.

To all the kind folks here who helped me out with all my silly and not so silly questions, a Heart felt thanks!

This was truly the BEST phone I have ever had!

Cheers and all the best,

Posted with my Passport
    09-02-19 01:29 PM
    If the Key2 had made it too AT&T with dual SIM, I wouldn’t have to dual carry.

As everyone knows Crusader03 and I like to joke around. This is accurate description for most in 2019 or for some like me, bit earlier.

Thanks for posting as it carries weight here on CB for people that want unbiased opinions from either direction.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    09-02-19 02:36 PM
    So guys, my experiment with the Passport as a daily driver is coming to an end. The OS is still as good as any Android OS and much more intuitive. The battery is capable and will get you through a moderate use day. The wide screen is by far the best and most productive I have ever used, at 453ppi it is fantastic even in direct bright sunlight! The PKB is a proper BlackBerry experience in every way! The camera is ok and IS is actually quite good when shooting video. So, those are the Pros and on their own would make this a pleasure to use as a Daily Driver in 2019. Now for the Cons, short list but Nuclear Powered. The unavailability of modern or updated apps is very restrictive and my needs sadly excede availability. So in summary, I will very reluctantly be putting my Sim back into the K2 soon. 😔

PS - today I tried to dual carry, it was so distasteful and daft that I put the second phone down after a half hour.

To all the kind folks here who helped me out with all my silly and not so silly questions, a Heart felt thanks!

This was truly the BEST phone I have ever had!

Cheers and all the best,

Posted with my Passport
    Great write-up. For those of us who can still get through 90% of our days on BB10 without any compromises, it's a familiar perspective.

Just this week I put a new old stock battery in my Z10 and it's giving me a full day of use again with 3+ hours of screen-on time, more than enough for a busy day in the office when I'm never far from power.

I am happy carrying my KEYone in my bag in case I need a Lyft or a secure Google Doc, but the main reason I carry any phone at all is for sales and client communications, and I don't need Android for that.

The Passport really is a special device. It's not a great fit for me due to its size, but I wouldn't sell my AT&T Passport (though I would trade it for a red one!)

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-02-19 02:57 PM
    Great write-up. For those of us who can still get through 90% of our days on BB10 without any compromises, it's a familiar perspective.

Just this week I put a new old stock battery in my Z10 and it's giving me a full day of use again with 3+ hours of screen-on time, more than enough for a busy day in the office when I'm never far from power.

I am happy carrying my KEYone in my bag in case I need a Lyft or a secure Google Doc, but the main reason I carry any phone at all is for sales and client communications, and I don't need Android for that.

The Passport really is a special device. It's not a great fit for me due to its size, but I wouldn't sell my AT&T Passport (though I would trade it for a red one!)

@the_boon will sell you one LOL
    the_boon likes this.
    09-02-19 03:03 PM
    Too large for a phone.
    Too small for a tablet.
    JMHO.
    Bring on the critics!
    09-02-19 03:04 PM
    Too large for a phone.
    Too small for a tablet.
    JMHO.
    Bring on the critics!
    That was my conclusion, too, and why I could never make it my daily carry device.

I did make it my travel device, for the large display, fantastic sound and long battery life. Now I use my KEYone for travel, as I need all the apps for airlines, ride-shares, maps, hotels, and those ridiculous conference apps at every trade show.

09-02-19 03:08 PM
    Too large for a phone.
    Too small for a tablet.
    JMHO.
    Bring on the critics!
    I call it a Handtop, lol.
    09-02-19 03:17 PM
    I call it a Handtop, lol.
    LOL, I like it!
    Great device, no doubt. I remember seeing where they were going to market it for the healthcare industry (my profession) but it never happened. Too big to be truly mobile. Of course no support because BlackBerry was on their way out. It never had a chance.
    09-02-19 03:21 PM
    Too big to be truly mobile.
    Not to be that guy again lol, but many of today's phablets like the XS Max and Note 10+ are a bit narrower than the Passport but much much taller, yet most people have no problem qualifying them as truly mobile devices and it seems that they sell like hotcakes.
    09-02-19 03:33 PM
    Just this week I put a new old stock battery in my Z10 and it's giving me a full day of use again with 3+ hours of screen-on time
    09-02-19 03:34 PM
    healthcare industry
    Off topic but mine too.
    TgeekB and anon(10387168) like this.
    09-02-19 03:38 PM
    Too large for a phone.
    Too small for a tablet.
    JMHO.
    Bring on the critics!
    As for size, really width only, I much preferred it over any and all phones ever produced, period! The caveat is that it is not a one hand devise, personally I have never used a BlackBerry, iOS or Android phone with one hand, so no issue for me in that department. The heft of the Premium 196 grams feels perfect! And viewing everything WIDE, only a special kind of individual would not enjoy that as a pure business tool, it was and is highly addictive! Even video, I don't rely on any phone as a primary video consumption devise, that's silly! The bars were huge, so what! I did watch all videos I needed to and was not at all bothered! Also, the thinness of such a big devise is so elegant and comfortable in the hand(s)! I have nothing but pure respect for this Iconic machine that to this day stands the test of time, and aside from apps, can still kick iOS and Android *** very aptly!
    BBeast likes this.
    09-02-19 03:38 PM
    Yep. That's about right. Mind you, I use zero tactics to preserve battery life, so I could squeeze more out of it. The Z10's combination of bright, power-hungry display and small battery was always its weakness for most people. I find it to be a worthwhile tradeoff for the small size.

But for everyday use as a work device, it's great. I process hundreds of work-related emails a day and the battery never dips below 70% in my normal work flow, as I trickle charge it from my monitor whenever I'm at me desk.

09-02-19 03:45 PM
    to this day stands the test of time, and aside from apps, can still kick iOS and Android *** very aptly!

Im sorry, I totally respect the fact you liked the device but this comment made me almost fall out of my chair.
    09-02-19 03:51 PM

Im sorry, I totally respect the fact you liked the device but this comment made me almost fall out of my chair.
    Before you fall off, I think the key words here were "aside from apps", but that's really what it comes down to these days so for sure that single caveat is a deal breaker for pretty much the whole market.
    09-02-19 03:56 PM
    The Z10's combination of bright, power-hungry display and small battery was always its weakness
    Which is enough to make it a bad communicator in my book.

And that also goes for most iPhones prior to the 7/7+/SE.

To me, if a device can't get 5 hours SOT, it's gonna be a wall hugger with the kind of usage patterns people put on them
    09-02-19 03:59 PM
    Which is enough to make it a bad communicator in my book.

And that also goes for most iPhones prior to the 7/7+/SE.

To me, if a device can't get 5 hours SOT, it's gonna be a wall hugger with the kind of usage patterns people put on them
    Yes but he’s got like 4 batteries and three standalone chargers... he used BBOS too so battery pulls and swaps almost identical..... LOL
    09-02-19 04:06 PM
    Yes but he’s got like 4 batteries and three standalone chargers... he used BBOS too so battery pulls and swaps almost identical..... LOL
    It's true. I keep an extra battery at my desk and in my bag, so I can go indefinitely without ever tethering the phone itself, with a fully charged battery always close at hand. My two business partners, using an iPhone 6 with a new battery and a new Android with a 3400mAH battery have to think about power a lot more than I do in the course of a normal 14-16 hour day.

09-02-19 04:14 PM

Jesus, don't hurt yourself! As I stated, aside from the apps, I believe my statement stands! Tried them all, I do speak from user experience! No other OS is as fluid and intuitive, some copy and try to emulate it, but in the end they are lacking. Cheers,
    09-02-19 04:18 PM
    Jesus, don't hurt yourself! As I stated, aside from the apps, I believe my statement stands! Tried them all, I do speak from user experience! No other OS is as fluid and intuitive, some copy and try to emulate it, but in the end they are lacking. Cheers,
    Oh, don’t worry. It’s a low chair plus I’ve had a couple beers so I’m sure I will slump to the floor rather lightly.
    I believe you and am glad you like it. Too bad it didn’t catch on.
    Now if Apple made one......just kidding!
    09-02-19 04:21 PM
    Oh, don’t worry. It’s a low chair plus I’ve had a couple beers so I’m sure I will slump to the floor rather lightly.
    If Apple licensed BlackBerry's PKB for a device of any kind, and marketed it with a "it's time for writers to have their own device. Apple + BlackBerry = Bliss for Writers" message, millions would try it. That's not a knock on Apple or its users. They've worked heart to build that trust and passion in their user base.

What I don't know is what percentage would buy it the next time.

09-02-19 04:25 PM
    If the Key2 had made it too AT&T with dual SIM, I wouldn’t have to dual carry.

As everyone knows Crusader03 and I like to joke around. This is accurate description for most in 2019 or for some like me, bit earlier.

Thanks for posting as it carries weight here on CB for people that want unbiased opinions from either direction.
    I am nothing if not an honest broker! You can always count on me for an honest and unbiased opinion. Thus I sometimes get hammered for an unpopular view, no worries though, the skin is thick and I give as good as I take. Now back to my crappy K2 PKB! Most will never know just how cheaply made the BBMo PKB is on the K2 if they don't handle a Legacy devise side by side. See Chucky, no fear to speak the truth!
    09-02-19 04:26 PM
    I find Scotch to be a good fall damper too! Honestly, an iPhone with a PKB is something I would buy in a split second! Did you feel that Rumble? The BlackBerry Gods are displeased!
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-02-19 04:30 PM
    I find Scotch to be a good fall damper too! Honestly, an iPhone with a PKB is something I would buy in a split second! Did you feel that Rumble? The BlackBerry Gods are displeased!
    Yes and aliens just landed in my front yard. Prost!
    09-02-19 04:31 PM
    Honestly, an iPhone with a PKB is something I would buy in a split second!
    As much as I despise iOS, a PKB could make it tolerable.

I'd definitely support such a device and gladly give Apple my money for a PKB smartphone, even as an add-on accessory.
    09-02-19 05:03 PM
68 123