Longtime BB user (Curve, Q10, Passport) wondering if anyone else is having issues with the native GPS map app on their Passports (or other models, if applicable). The GPS was absolutely flawless on my Q10 & I never questioned its reliability. I wanted an upgrade to the Passport & the provider I was with (Verizon) did not have it as an option, so I had to switch to AT&T. Everything is great on the Passport until I tried using the map. The GPS simply cannot get a bead on me for more than a few seconds. I constantly get the "spider bite", a flashing red icon of some sort in the upper right hand corner, & oftentimes, I will just disappear completely from the map. I overshoot destinations by a mile. I've never seen anything so choppy. I did see a recommendation to install the upgrade & it would "smooth out and stabilize", so I did, but nothing has changed. All settings are correct to my knowledge. I don't like installing a ton of apps, so I'd hate to buy Google GPS maps to replace one that normally had served me just fine in the past. I'm wondering if this is a problem with my service or just a lemon version of BB maps on this particular phone? As it stands, it's all but useless for a navigation tool. Not sure what to do next.
    10-13-15 08:28 PM
    The Maps app requires data and GPS to function. If you loose data, your location of the map may continue to remain correct and update as you move, but you will eventually get to a spot were the map data cache is no longer valid, you can then poof, change locations, or appear in a blank space on the map.
    If you loose GPS, the map will continue to update, but you will appear in random locations or very far away from your real position on the map.
    If the device is using "aGPS", which uses cell tower triangulation in addition to sat-GPS, and your signal fluctuates, then you may appear in the general correct spot, but jumping around within 2+KM of that spot.

If you can, post a screen shot of your Map app running when you get the "spider bite"
    BDinthecrowd likes this.
    10-14-15 08:09 AM
    My GPS and maps has been flawless except one time in downtown Indianapolis when I lost signal. But within a block it returned, so all was good.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 09:47 AM
    I'm having this issue with my Z30. Ever since this morning I can't get a lock on my location with the GPS at all... need help!

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 09:51 AM
    I'm having this issue with my Z30. Ever since this morning I can't get a lock on my location with the GPS at all... need help!

Posted via CB10
    Try a soft reset:
    1. Press and hold both the volume up and volume down buttons, you will know if you pressed them both correct when you see the screen shot notice.
    2. Continue to hold then down. The screen will turn off, "BlackBerry" will appear on the screen, then the device loading animation begins. This all takes about 20 seconds or so.
    3. When you see the device loading animation, release the buttons, and the device will now boot up.

What this does is preform the equivalent of a battery pull on removable battery devices. It clears all caches, shuts down all apps and services, clears running memory, and power off and then restarts the device. This generally clears up any buggy apps or services. It does not delete any files, apps, or contacts.
    It is normal for the device to be sluggish and glitchy for up to five minutes after it boots back up, as it is rebuilding caches and starting up background apps and services.
    It is best to just let it sit for five minutes and then check to see if the issue persists.
    BDinthecrowd likes this.
    10-14-15 10:42 AM
    It's a known issue on the AT&T Passport since day one of release.
    They supposedly issued a release fix for it a while back, but some people as your self still report the problem.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 06:46 PM
    There is a bug related to the GPS and the cellular network. I don't know what it is, but if you turn off the radio and turn it back on the GPS navigation will work.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 08:35 PM
    Try a soft reset:
    1. Press and hold both the volume up and volume down buttons, you will know if you pressed them both correct when you see the screen shot notice.
    2. Continue to hold then down. The screen will turn off, "BlackBerry" will appear on the screen, then the device loading animation begins. This all takes about 20 seconds or so.
    3. When you see the device loading animation, release the buttons, and the device will now boot up.

What this does is preform the equivalent of a battery pull on removable battery devices. It clears all caches, shuts down all apps and services, clears running memory, and power off and then restarts the device. This generally clears up any buggy apps or services. It does not delete any files, apps, or contacts.
    It is normal for the device to be sluggish and glitchy for up to five minutes after it boots back up, as it is rebuilding caches and starting up background apps and services.
    It is best to just let it sit for five minutes and then check to see if the issue persists.
    I tried this several times today. I continued to hold the volume keys down, waiting for the reboot animation, but it will only go as far as flashing "Blackberry" until I release the keys, upon which the animation will start. It seemed to improve about 50%, meaning it can keep a bead on me for up to 10 seconds before going berzerk again.
    10-15-15 03:56 AM
    It's a known issue on the AT&T Passport since day one of release.
    They supposedly issued a release fix for it a while back, but some people as your self still report the problem.

Posted via CB10
    Should the fix already be integrated into the phone when purchased or is this something I need to seek out & manually apply?
    10-15-15 04:01 AM
    There is a bug related to the GPS and the cellular network. I don't know what it is, but if you turn off the radio and turn it back on the GPS navigation will work.

Posted via CB10
    Radio as in the car radio? I've tried taking it along with me on bike rides & turning it on occasionally to see where I'm at, & it still has no idea.
    10-15-15 04:03 AM
    Should the fix already be integrated into the phone when purchased or is this something I need to seek out & manually apply?
    It depends on manufacturing date.
    I would go into settings and then into software updates, and manually check for any updates.

Posted via CB10
    BDinthecrowd likes this.
    10-15-15 04:54 AM
    Radio as in the car radio? I've tried taking it along with me on bike rides & turning it on occasionally to see where I'm at, & it still has no idea.
    I meant the cellular radio. I think some carriers or some towers have a problem with cellular assisted GPS. Turning the cellular radio off then on seems to fix it. When I first saw the problem I was switching the cellular modes not to use LTE and that worked too. In later threads, I noticed just turning the radio on and off got the GPS working as well.

It is under settings, networks and connections, mobile network that you can turn off the cellular radio. I suppose you could cycle airplane mode too, but that would disconnect any Bluetooth devices connected to your phone.

Posted via CB10
    BDinthecrowd likes this.
    10-15-15 04:56 PM
    It depends on manufacturing date.
    I would go into settings and then into software updates, and manually check for any updates.

Posted via CB10
    OK so I remembered when I first got the phone, I'd get a notification of a mandatory update that was paused because it was too large to download over the AT&T network, & to connect to a Wi-Fi network instead. I'll go to places with free wi-fi, attempt to set up & connect, & all the phone does is loop endlessly. I can't figure out what I'm either doing or not doing to connect to wi-fi so it can install the update & hopefully get the map functioning how it's supposed to.
    Passport GPS map issues...-img_20151016_055320.jpg
    10-16-15 05:06 AM
    OK so I remembered when I first got the phone, I'd get a notification of a mandatory update that was paused because it was too large to download over the AT&T network, & to connect to a Wi-Fi network instead. I'll go to places with free wi-fi, attempt to set up & connect, & all the phone does is loop endlessly. I can't figure out what I'm either doing or not doing to connect to wi-fi so it can install the update & hopefully get the map functioning how it's supposed to.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151016_055320.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	375968
    Try hooking up to BlackBerry Link and install the update on a PC.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 02:26 PM