It's only a couple of weeks left in 2018.
    I just took my Passport on my most recent business trip just to see what I could do. The only backup I had was a Windows 10 phone :-)
    Pretty much everything happened on the Passport. The only thing I missed was having BlackBerry Travel, which I used on my last trip and it was super handy. Too bad no replacement!

Airport checkin was via the Passport. I got my electronic boarding pass on the Passport it was scanned in for boarding right from the phone. (I could do this offline, unlike the Windows phone)
    Communications with my clients and colleagues were via voice and email, no problem for the phone of course. At no time did I have unexpected reception issues.
    Car rental was dealt with electronically. ‎
    At the hotel I checked in and used their WiFi with login, no problems. To catch up on the home front I used video calling via Skype and it worked perfectly.

Getting around? I had plenty of offline maps with voice turn-by-turn directions to get me to my destinations.
    Returning home was similarly trouble free, I even used the phone to pre-fill my border declaration forms from the app, scanned the QR code from my phone at the kiosk and I was on the way home.
    At no time did the Passport present any limitations and nobody noticed what phone I was using because everything just worked.

Another successful trip with BlackBerry!

On additional note, I work for a large global tech company. The only sanctioned IM is Skype and we are not required to use it. Our big customers include companies like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, etc. At no point have any of them ever asked us to use any of their social media apps to communicate. When I go to the customers, in Silicon Valley, nobody has ever asked to IM or pointed me to Facebook pages. It's always voice call or email. I also have a window seat to one of the standards bodies involved in setting some of the core standards used in servers, data centres and the like. Key members are from all the big tech companies including the aforementioned. The method of communication? Email lists. Not Facebook groups or Google hangouts or anything like that.
    It was the same story with my previous employer so I would suggest that most companies who think they 'need' the latest social media or apps to get things done might like to think twice about that conclusion. For many companies there might be a better solution.‎
    12-16-18 05:18 PM
    Companies aren't necessarily using social media apps for vender communications - they're using social media to reach out to their END-USERS. And that's critically important to all of those companies - you just won't run into that unless you're dealing with the Marketing department or PR.

And you can bet that there are a lot of developers, techs, and creatives who are working at those companies and using IM apps for internal communication - they just don't expect outside vendors to do the same, and default to email for that.

As a vendor, you're only experiencing that side of the business - which is understandable, but doesn't mean that's the whole picture.
    ppeters914 and valer466 like this.
    12-16-18 11:09 PM
    It's only a couple of weeks left in 2018.
    I just took my Passport on my most recent business trip just to see what I could do. The only backup I had was a Windows 10 phone :-)
    Pretty much everything happened on the Passport. The only thing I missed was having BlackBerry Travel, which I used on my last trip and it was super handy. Too bad no replacement!

Airport checkin was via the Passport. I got my electronic boarding pass on the Passport it was scanned in for boarding right from the phone. (I could do this offline, unlike the Windows phone)
    Communications with my clients and colleagues were via voice and email, no problem for the phone of course. At no time did I have unexpected reception issues.
    Car rental was dealt with electronically. ‎
    At the hotel I checked in and used their WiFi with login, no problems. To catch up on the home front I used video calling via Skype and it worked perfectly.

Getting around? I had plenty of offline maps with voice turn-by-turn directions to get me to my destinations.
    Returning home was similarly trouble free, I even used the phone to pre-fill my border declaration forms from the app, scanned the QR code from my phone at the kiosk and I was on the way home.
    At no time did the Passport present any limitations and nobody noticed what phone I was using because everything just worked.

Another successful trip with BlackBerry!

On additional note, I work for a large global tech company. The only sanctioned IM is Skype and we are not required to use it. Our big customers include companies like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, etc. At no point have any of them ever asked us to use any of their social media apps to communicate. When I go to the customers, in Silicon Valley, nobody has ever asked to IM or pointed me to Facebook pages. It's always voice call or email. I also have a window seat to one of the standards bodies involved in setting some of the core standards used in servers, data centres and the like. Key members are from all the big tech companies including the aforementioned. The method of communication? Email lists. Not Facebook groups or Google hangouts or anything like that.
    It was the same story with my previous employer so I would suggest that most companies who think they 'need' the latest social media or apps to get things done might like to think twice about that conclusion. For many companies there might be a better solution.‎
    Great to hear EFats! Contrary to the beliefs of some, BB10 still has plenty of use for both business and end-users who care about privacy and security.

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    12-17-18 01:13 AM
    I agree, I get an absolutely phenomenal work done only Passport some times.

I am intrigued that you have Skype working!? Can you tell me which version and if you are using Cobalt's Google solution to do so? My previous attempts have been unsuccessful. I think I could only dial in or out, can't remember which and it crashed a lot.

This is the one thing that the work laptop does exclusively for me when I'm away and I would love to do it on my phone also.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-18 01:28 PM
    I don't often open my Passport, but it sits near me as one of the most engaging gadgets I have ever used... nothing from bb or BlackBerryMO comes close to that experience for me.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    12-17-18 02:23 PM
    I'm using v7.46, I don't have Cobalt's stuff installed. It's just the good ol' Android runtime
    12-17-18 03:50 PM
    Companies aren't necessarily using social media apps for vender communications - they're using social media to reach out to their END-USERS. And that's critically important to all of those companies - you just won't run into that unless you're dealing with the Marketing department or PR.

And you can bet that there are a lot of developers, techs, and creatives who are working at those companies and using IM apps for internal communication - they just don't expect outside vendors to do the same, and default to email for that.

As a vendor, you're only experiencing that side of the business - which is understandable, but doesn't mean that's the whole picture.
    I work, and have worked, at those kind of tech companies. My friends work at various tech places as well, some of the biggest names in the business. I'm sure FB uses their own dogfood internally but I can tell you many of the other tech companies generally do not use IM apps as the normal, official mode of communication even within the company.

Don't forget as a vendor to one company, I am also the end user for many other tech companies. As an end-use customer, no tech company has EVER offered to engage via social media, often it is not even an option.

I'm not saying that people don't have use it. Obviously people do and some companies do and there are certainly use cases where it is a great option. But the point is when the rubber meets the road and you HAVE to get work done and you have to coordinate across many people from around the world, it is NOT necessary (and perhaps even not beneficial) to use these 'social media' stuff as the tool of choice. If it was that clearly beneficial, all the engineers would have transitioned over a long time ago
    12-17-18 04:01 PM

Social media matters a lot if consumers are in the equation. But, when your end users are all in the C-Suite, social media doesn't come up much at all. For me, email and voice are the only mobile communications needed, besides a Web site. We have social media accounts (LinkedIn and Twitter), but they are all managed perfectly well via PC, as they involve us publishing our thoughts in our field, not photos or events.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-17-18 05:18 PM
    I work, and have worked, at those kind of tech companies. My friends work at various tech places as well, some of the biggest names in the business. I'm sure FB uses their own dogfood internally but I can tell you many of the other tech companies generally do not use IM apps as the normal, official mode of communication even within the company.

Don't forget as a vendor to one company, I am also the end user for many other tech companies. As an end-use customer, no tech company has EVER offered to engage via social media, often it is not even an option.

I'm not saying that people don't have use it. Obviously people do and some companies do and there are certainly use cases where it is a great option. But the point is when the rubber meets the road and you HAVE to get work done and you have to coordinate across many people from around the world, it is NOT necessary (and perhaps even not beneficial) to use these 'social media' stuff as the tool of choice. If it was that clearly beneficial, all the engineers would have transitioned over a long time ago
    "social media".... maybe not. Slack and Microsoft Teams... very important for many companies these days.

A company with 100 employees might not use "Social Media" to communicate with each other. But if they are a consumer facing company, then their marketing department most certainly is involved with most the key Social Media outlet. Example... that's one of the best ways to reach BlackBerry support...
    12-18-18 01:33 PM
    "social media".... maybe not. Slack and Microsoft Teams... very important for many companies these days.
    I agree with you. Currently, Slack runs just fine on BB10 using Cobalt's tools, though it's a bit sluggish on my Z10. I haven't tried Microsoft Teams.

But I much prefer to double carry and use apps only on their native platforms. So I manage email, calendar, calls, tasks and short notes on BB10 and use Slack on Android.

If I needed to use Slack or MS Teams extensively on Mobile every day, I wouldn't want to single carry a BB10 phone, even though it's certainly possible, at least for Slack.

12-18-18 02:34 PM
    I agree with you. Currently, Slack runs just fine on BB10 using Cobalt's tools, though it's a bit sluggish on my Z10. I haven't tried Microsoft Teams.

But I much prefer to double carry and use apps only on their native platforms. So I manage email, calendar, calls, tasks and short notes on BB10 and use Slack on Android.

If I needed to use Slack or MS Teams extensively on Mobile every day, I wouldn't want to single carry a BB10 phone, even though it's certainly possible, at least for Slack.

I wish BBM had gone more the SLACK direction then trying to be... whatever Channels was suppose to bring them. Should have been the evolution route it took... but then a lot of should have / could have in the BlackBerry story.
    12-18-18 03:22 PM
    I wish BBM had gone more the SLACK direction then trying to be... whatever Channels was suppose to bring them. Should have been the evolution route it took... but then a lot of should have / could have in the BlackBerry story.
    100% agree. A dedicated professional x-platform chat application was desperately needed, and they were perfectly positioned. It would have cost a lot less than the handset division and could have been a billion dollar + product.

12-18-18 03:44 PM
    BBM should have gone cross-platform (including a desktop app) in the early 2000's. Limiting it to BB phones severely limited its value, and once 2010 happened and phone sales started to fall (in developed markets), phones became the weight that so weighed down BBM that it was doomed.

That's another lost opportunity that you can hang on Mike, who was adamantly against opening up BBM to other platforms.
    12-19-18 09:43 PM