Uber, straight from Google Play Store, works well for me. Also, between Amazon Appstore, Google Play Store and BBW, I have all of the apps I need as of this moment. I know eventually some will stop working, but Uber actually was the opposite. I use to use Ober from BBW, then I read in the forums that Uber was already working from the Google Play Store (maybe because they removed some Google services dependencies). At any rate, I installed Uber and it worked albeit a bit slow.
    04-05-16 06:55 PM
    I think that for most people they should just accept BB10 for what it is and not bother with half baked Android apps. Get the Priv if you want them. If you want a killer phone for texting, phone calls, the HUB and surfing the net. Get the Passport or Classic and not worry about the apps working or not working
    04-05-16 08:32 PM
    I have a passport, use Google maps with voice guidance
    Use netflix
    Have FLIR cloud, a android app for viewing my security cams
    I view my other security cams and baby cams on a different app

I use my passport for many things other than email, and phone calls

But, I also enjoy technology and enjoy tinkering

but I agree, 95% of the population are not suited for anything that isnt spoon fed to them, hence our world economy being in the crapper and for the first time in the history of the world, there are more overweight people on the planet than those underweight

Posted via CB10
    Only on CrackBerry will you find someone comparing a bad economy and overweight people to being unwilling to try to find work arounds to get apps working. I'd spin it the opposite. People don't want to take the time nor have the time to spend hours trying to figure out how to get an app working on their phone that is readily available to use on other platforms.
    DINGSTER1 likes this.
    04-05-16 10:20 PM
    Yes, I live in Jamaica and so a lot of apps people use stateside etc Uber, Netflix, Gps, banking apps etc are moot here and if I needed them maybe I would feel the same, despite being a diehard BlackBerry Fan.

That said, for my needs banging out emails, communication, nice screen for browsing, BBM video chat with my wife (she has a Q10 ), Kindle book reading, viewing documents , HUB, business instagram account. And just the fluidity of the OS with no bloatware is perfect for me

Edit: and the 30hr+ battery is just to die for!! , have had the phone since Nov 2015 and have hit battery save mode maybe twice? And I have never had it die on me

Passport SQW100-4 10.3.2.2836
    04-06-16 07:31 AM
    Give the OP a break. I moved from a Passport to a Priv and my app-gap frustration disappeared. Sure, the Passport feels like better hardware and is definitely a more solid device. Battery life is better and BB10 is arguably "smoother". However, with time and the lack of updates, the Passport and BB10 will just get worse and worse, like the PlayBook. I have two PlayBooks that are pretty much useless, even for web browsing.

We want our devices to "just work". That means downloading Uber and calling a car. Simple. There is just too much effort needed to get the basics working on BB10 now.

It another 12-24 months, BB10 will be a thing of the past, with a very small and loyal user group (maybe 0.25% of market share). Technology has moved on.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-06-16 10:40 AM
    Give the OP a break. I moved from a Passport to a Priv and my app-gap frustration disappeared. Sure, the Passport feels like better hardware and is definitely a more solid device. Battery life is better and BB10 is arguably "smoother". However, with time and the lack of updates, the Passport and BB10 will just get worse and worse, like the PlayBook. I have two PlayBooks that are pretty much useless, even for web browsing.

We want our devices to "just work". That means downloading Uber and calling a car. Simple. There is just too much effort needed to get the basics working on BB10 now.

It another 12-24 months, BB10 will be a thing of the past, with a very small and loyal user group (maybe 0.25% of market share). Technology has moved on.
    BlackBerry 10 technology is more advanced than both android and ios. The difference is BlackBerry 10 is new and too late to the game. People want all the apps they had to be here and they aren't. BlackBerry 10 won't survive for very long but for most applications it does work and work better than others. I've been using a nexus 5 alongside my passport and I cannot believe how clunky and complex android is. About 5 months now.
    ios must be better though I hate using my iPad for its generally limited use
    04-06-16 12:23 PM
    BlackBerry 10 technology is more advanced than both android and ios. The difference is BlackBerry 10 is new and too late to the game. People want all the apps they had to be here and they aren't. BlackBerry 10 won't survive for very long but for most applications it does work and work better than others. I've been using a nexus 5 alongside my passport and I cannot believe how clunky and complex android is. About 5 months now.
    ios must be better though I hate using my iPad for its generally limited use
    I don't disagree. BB10 is technically a better OS. It's also smoother, more secure and more stable. However, I really do think that Android is evolving and at the rate of new releases will get there. With Marshmallow around the corner, a lot of privacy and security issues will be dealt with. Power efficiency will also get better. I'm sure some of the smoothness will be ironed out too.

I wish BB10 took off and the developers supporting it with all the apps we use, but it didn't happen. So, I'm willing to adapt and grow with Android and BlackBerry. Quite frankly, the Priv does EVERYTHING well. The Passport did SOME THINGS amazingly.
    04-06-16 12:39 PM
    I don't disagree. BB10 is technically a better OS. It's also smoother, more secure and more stable. However, I really do think that Android is evolving and at the rate of new releases will get there. With Marshmallow around the corner, a lot of privacy and security issues will be dealt with. Power efficiency will also get better. I'm sure some of the smoothness will be ironed out too.

I wish BB10 took off and the developers supporting it with all the apps we use, but it didn't happen. So, I'm willing to adapt and grow with Android and BlackBerry. Quite frankly, the Priv does EVERYTHING well. The Passport did SOME THINGS amazingly.
    If you set up your android the way you like to use it, it can be way more efficient at what you need it to do. That's the beauty of Android, choices.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-16 01:11 PM
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, but fortunately there are hundreds of smartphones available and you were able to find one you like.

While I personally haven't used Uber on my phone yet I did download Lyft before taking a trip to Miami and it worked wonders for me. I'll admit, not having apps readily available from BBW or Amazon App store is kind of frustrating but thanks to some amazing forum members we do have access to that stuff now with a little bit of work.

I've been back and forth between Android, WebOS, but most recently loving BlackBerry, there are things I enjoy about each of them and it's hard just sticking with one.
    Cheers!

Posted via CB10 via Passport.
    04-06-16 03:38 PM
    So how exactly do I make that request with uber? I wrote them a message but have yet to hear back? Something else I'm suppose to do on my part to have access to mobile site and or app?? Why do they block the mobile site in the first place? Why the need to request access?

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Passport Gave it a Shot-img_20160406_134410.png  
    04-06-16 03:46 PM
    How much research - it only goes so far? After a point, research gives way to user experience. There's no way to figure out which apps will work and which one's won't until one tries it and it's not a static answer. Certainly, if apps get revisions to include Google Play Services they don't work. I love the Passport for it's size, power, durability and inherent base functionality. I can live with it as a second device, but at some point it comes to being able to do the work I need it to do - and in some respects it fails and as time rolls on, it's losing ground. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is.

Chen doesn't help by shooting himself in the foot at every turn and weakening potential sales with what he says at virtually every chance. Heck, even the new phones will probably only sell to a smaller group simply because of the high potential of Blackberry pulling out of handset market.
    04-11-16 07:37 AM
    Yes, the beautiful part of 10 is that you can make your own apps using mobile sites. A side note is that a growing number of companies are getting rid of apps because of maintaining costs and offering just the site. Global slowdown and increased competition in global economy.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 09:26 AM
    Only on CrackBerry will you find someone comparing a bad economy and overweight people to being unwilling to try to find work arounds to get apps working. I'd spin it the opposite. People don't want to take the time nor have the time to spend hours trying to figure out how to get an app working on their phone that is readily available to use on other platforms.
    Well, I bought the Priv, so hardware aside, it is android

Please find me an app like the BlackBerry file manager with box and dropbox integration , blend, a youtube client like fast tube, an app that let's me get to peek my emails from anywhere in the os.

I have spent more time 'tinkering' with android to sift through apps to find one I like.

Oddly enough, with both Passport and android side by side, all my apps that I need or use, are just as fast or faster on passport...but I'm not a gamer, and socially, I use m.facebook.com for both, other than that, just my banking, security cams, weatherstations apps are the most I use.

So, for the time being the passport is still my daily driver, haven't figured out how to create notification profiles on android yet, someone please help, I'm actually nervous to take it to meetings in case it rings.

Furthermore, the reason I bought the Priv was due to a great deal on an EPP Open Box Sale, and the fact that I was going through hardware upgrade withdrawal

But only on Crackberry, you can post an opinion, or personal experience and have a member crap all over you for doing something you enjoy doing.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-16 06:14 AM

Smoother? You could say it's smooth, but smoother is exaggerated, android and iOS are the smoother ones.

Secure my A$$, you do know that the 4.3 runtime has all access to all your info right? And you can't deny or control it, and it's cobbled into the system, it's a major vulnerability.

Stable? Just read about the reset posts around here, I myself had experienced freezes, and random restarts, I have to nuke the device to get it working sometimes.
    05-30-16 07:02 AM
    Uber works fine on my passport too, sorry for your troubles.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    05-30-16 07:57 AM
    BlackBerry moved to Android for a reason, and you just found out what it is.

Not all of us care about the app gap, but we are a tiny minority (hell, I still think BB7 does some things better).

Posted via CB10
    OS 7 had an ecosystem. It had the apps and services that Blackberry 10 lacks

Posted via CB10
    05-30-16 07:18 PM
    I can understand that frustration. I got tired of the workarounds myself. When I realized how much I was missing from apps by jumping to android, I should have left BB10 sooner. This is not an insult towards the BB10 platform. But apps on marshmallow function way better than on the passport (jellybean).

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-30-16 09:23 PM
    A fellow IPhone 6 user w a Passport here. The Passport is nothing short of awesome! I installed Google Play service and there I'm getting 90-95% of what I need to work. The biggest factor for is me the form factor and hardware. It could be Android, iOS or BB and I would pretty much like it the same. 453 ppi, sweet PKB, and the ultra wide screen gives the phone great balance and feel. IMO it makes the standard iPhone, Z series Bb and Android slabs feel mundane and robotic.
    05-31-16 12:28 PM
43 12