12-04-14 12:06 PM
92 1234
tools
    Coraya: (you may already know this but...)

If you buy it on a 2 year contract you don't make any payments on it. You just pay your account usage ie: $50 per month for your service (unlimited text & talk and 1gb data) plus the $199 or $249 or whatever cost it is after the subsidy. Yes, it may not be $50 a month for the service I said above, but I was just using that as an example of the fees incurred. It still would not come out to be $699, and even if you did buy it outright, you would still be making the same $50/mo payments to have service...

Therefore, it is easier on the pocketbook when buying the phone subsidized (for those of us who don't mind being on a 2 year contract).

I do understand that lots of you on here don't seem to like to be tied down to contracts though, and I respect that... But for me, it doesn't matter because I don't change phones every year anyway. Especially when a device as good as the PP is out there...
    That is not true. If you purchase the device outright, depending on your data amount, AT&T will discount either $15/month or $25/month which does add up. Not to mention no contract with the ability to change at will. So buying the device outright ends up costing less for the same service on AT&T. Not sure if you are aware of this.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster and 21stNow like this.
    11-08-14 07:52 PM
    Coraya: (you may already know this but...)

If you buy it on a 2 year contract you don't make any payments on it. You just pay your account usage ie: $50 per month for your service (unlimited text & talk and 1gb data) plus the $199 or $249 or whatever cost it is after the subsidy. Yes, it may not be $50 a month for the service I said above, but I was just using that as an example of the fees incurred. It still would not come out to be $699, and even if you did buy it outright, you would still be making the same $50/mo payments to have service...

Therefore, it is easier on the pocketbook when buying the phone subsidized (for those of us who don't mind being on a 2 year contract).

I do understand that lots of you on here don't seem to like to be tied down to contracts though, and I respect that... But for me, it doesn't matter because I don't change phones every year anyway. Especially when a device as good as the PP is out there...
    I do know this already I didn't clarify what I meant though and I apologize. If you're on att next, Verizon edge, or tmobile jump plans you benefit buying a device outright. Why? Because you're paying for your device monthly. When you're finished paying off the device, it's obviously removed from your monthly bill! My bill is currently $72 a month. I have payments of $27 a month for a note 3 I picked up in January. I sold it for $400. Im going to pay off the note 3 so that my bill drops $27. My bill will be roughly $45 a month. Why? Because I bought my passport out right don't owe anything. And you are correct. When buying on a 2 year contract, subsidized makes sense. You'll always be paying the same bill as long as you don't change the plan, exceed your limits or your carrier makes price changes that you can't be grandfathered into.

Thanks for the feedback. Love reading responses to my posts!
    And the passport is a fantastic device. Still trying to get used to the keyboard though. Moving from an awesome q10.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    thymaster likes this.
    11-08-14 07:53 PM
    ...Just wanted to add that they do this as you are not purchasing with a subsidy. So cheaper price per month for the same service.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    11-08-14 07:55 PM
    Just to clarify my post. I was not referring to AT&T Next. Purchased the Passport outright and on a no contract mobile share plan. In this situation, AT&T will credit you either $15 or $25 per month for purchasing outright and not using their subsidy. You receive the same service as those that take the subsidy, but if you intend to keep the phone for a decent amount of time that $15/$25 adds up and may end up costing less to buy without the subsidy. Some people just don't understand why I would pay $x amount for a phone, but don't realize in the end I'm likely paying less than they are. Just putting more money up front.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 08:40 PM
    Just to clarify my post. I was not referring to AT&T Next. Purchased the Passport outright and on a no contract mobile share plan. In this situation, AT&T will credit you either $15 or $25 per month for purchasing outright and not using their subsidy. You receive the same service as those that take the subsidy, but if you intend to keep the phone for a decent amount of time that $15/$25 adds up and may end up costing less to buy without the subsidy. Some people just don't understand why I would pay $x amount for a phone, but don't realize in the end I'm likely paying less than they are. Just putting more money up front.

Posted via CB10
    This is something I failed to realize for a long time. I would pay for devices at a subsidized price and sign a new 2 year contract. Then the following her, the device I wanted next was almost impossible to attain without purchasing outright. The passport is my first brand new outright purchase. All other devices I have I either bought new at a subsidized price or used online. So glad to have my passport. Finally!

thymaster likes this.
    11-08-14 08:48 PM
    This is something I failed to realize for a long time. I would pay for devices at a subsidized price and sign a new 2 year contract. Then the following her, the device I wanted next was almost impossible to attain without purchasing outright. The passport is my first brand new outright purchase. All other devices I have I either bought new at a subsidized price or used online. So glad to have my passport. Finally!

Yup, it's an amazing device! Playing around with my Verizon Z30 on WiFi and after using the Passport for a month, the Z30 form factor, along with all of the other rectangular slabs is actually pretty awful lol. Hope you enjoy your Passport!

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 09:10 PM
    Yup, it's an amazing device! Playing around with my Verizon Z30 on WiFi and after using the Passport for a month, the Z30 form factor, along with all of the other rectangular slabs is actually pretty awful lol. Hope you enjoy your Passport!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! I'am! Glad you're enjoying yours!

11-08-14 09:47 PM
    I should have also stated that I'm actually on verizon, not att, so I'm not 100% familiar with their plans (hence why my $50/mo was probably an incorrect figure).

However, since it seems that vz will not have the passport (and I do like to hope) I'm actually thinking of waiting to see if att will release it subsidized, or if I can get as much possible for this pos iPhone 5S i've been forced to carry around with me, then I may just buy it outright from amazon or shopblackberry.

The only problem I have with that is this:

with VZ, I'm currently on a shared family plan, and my line is pretty much 40/mo for unlimited talk text and then 1gb shared (my sister and I use about 500mb each give or take). Now, if I go to att, it looks like the lowest they would offer is around $60/mo for similar service, and I don't really like that... I also don't know how good of coverage att is in my area.
    11-09-14 12:02 AM
    I'm grandfathered into an unlimited plan from my very first curve! I'm never giving up this plan. Esp considering how much data I use.
    Is Passport ever coming to AT&T?-img_20141108_231615.png I would hate to always have to monitor my use. Please BlackBerry or att shed some light on the situation. Crackberry should do an article about it. Kevin should reach out to them. Something. Anything?!? Besides complete silence

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 01:18 AM
    I'm grandfathered into an unlimited plan from my very first curve! I'm never giving up this plan. Esp considering how much data I use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141108_231615.png 
Views:	1477 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	313130 I would hate to always have to monitor my use. Please BlackBerry or att shed some light on the situation. Crackberry should do an article about it. Kevin should reach out to them. Something. Anything?!? Besides complete silence

Posted via CB10
    I understand. But are you like one of my buddies that coley relies on carrier data and doesn't use WiFi when they're in their own home or at work? He refuses to get off his 30gb plan because he doesn't want to use WiFi at home. You have unlimited, it's different. Just wondering though.

11-09-14 06:11 AM
    My wifi at my home is spotty so I turn it on and off a lot.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 12:02 PM
    I should have also stated that I'm actually on verizon, not att, so I'm not 100% familiar with their plans (hence why my $50/mo was probably an incorrect figure).

However, since it seems that vz will not have the passport (and I do like to hope) I'm actually thinking of waiting to see if att will release it subsidized, or if I can get as much possible for this pos iPhone 5S i've been forced to carry around with me, then I may just buy it outright from amazon or shopblackberry.

The only problem I have with that is this:

with VZ, I'm currently on a shared family plan, and my line is pretty much 40/mo for unlimited talk text and then 1gb shared (my sister and I use about 500mb each give or take). Now, if I go to att, it looks like the lowest they would offer is around $60/mo for similar service, and I don't really like that... I also don't know how good of coverage att is in my area.
    AT&T plans are typically cheaper by a small amount because Verizon is bigger with more LTE coverage, but AT&T's coverage is similar for the most part and they have 3G+ and LTE. My Verizon LTE speeds were similar to my friend that was on 3G+.

The analogy with the $50 a month would make sense if AT&T didn't credit those that bring their own devices. If the Passport was available right now on AT&T and was purchased with a subsidy that person would be paying $15 to $25 more per month for the same exact service and plan than somebody that brought their own device.

If you are on a shared plan, it becomes a bit more difficult because in order for your monthly payments to stay as low as you like, you would have to get whoever you are shared with to switch as well. In that case AT&T would be cheaper, especially with the promotions they currently have for mobile share plans.

As far as data usage, I left unlimited data behind on Verizon from my Storm that I've kept for so long for no reason. I just didn't use WiFi. Now, with WiFi at home, at work, and soon to be in my car; not to mention my friends having WiFi... there was really no need to hang on any longer and have been enjoying the Passport trying my best to type this out on my old Z30. This is more of the reason I switched. I do not see the need for unlimited data anymore with WiFi everywhere.

In the end, choose what is best for you! For me, I go where the device I want is. Left Sprint for the Storm, left Verizon for the Passport. Carriers' losses, not mine. I'm also in the northeast and every carrier gives good coverage, but Verizon and AT&T are the best elsewhere. The Passport is in a league of its own!

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    11-09-14 12:26 PM
    When I talked to an AT&T supervisor on the phone last month I was told the Passport won't be available until after the first of the year.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 01:53 PM
    (925) 931-6065 this is the number to BlackBerry's US headquarters. I say we all call them until they make some sort of announcement on the release of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 02:23 AM
    My main concern about getting the AT&T version of the Passport is the OS modifications that AT&T will insist on making, what bloatware will be installed , what native Blackberry features will be crippled, what internal changes that might be requested. AT&T has a history of all of those with Android phones. There is even rumors of a change in the shape of Passport that AT&T wants to make. If I could afford the lump sum payment for the unlocked version on Amazon I would already have it. Unfortunately that won't happen, so I (and many others) have to wait for the AT&T version to become available. What we end up with is up for speculation.
    11-12-14 06:28 AM
    My main concern about getting the AT&T version of the Passport is the OS modifications that AT&T will insist on making, what bloatware will be installed , what native Blackberry features will be crippled, what internal changes that might be requested. AT&T has a history of all of those with Android phones. There is even rumors of a change in the shape of Passport that AT&T wants to make. If I could afford the lump sum payment for the unlocked version on Amazon I would already have it. Unfortunately that won't happen, so I (and many others) have to wait for the AT&T version to become available. What we end up with is up for speculation.
    Yeah I'm worried about that too. The fact it's taking so long if they are modifying it makes me nervous. I hope the changes aren't too drastic.

Posted via CB10
    Smokeaire likes this.
    11-12-14 11:52 AM
    I called their number again, and the lady was very helpful, she told me she was going to find out the information and get back to me. So hopefully I'll have some answers soon.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 02:10 PM
    Local AT&T reseller empl told me today that it will be in 2 weeks. So add that to the rumor mill.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 03:15 PM
    Local AT&T reseller empl told me today that it will be in 2 weeks. So add that to the rumor mill.

Posted via CB10
    Holy crap please. I'm not 100% I'm going to get it but I wanna give it a fair shake before I go with something else.

Z10
    11-12-14 03:44 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141108_231615.png 
Views:	1477 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	313130 I would hate to always have to monitor my use. Please BlackBerry or att shed some light on the situation. Crackberry should do an article about it. Kevin should reach out to them. Something. Anything?!? Besides complete silence

Posted via CB10
    Are you on ATT? How do you get true unlimited? I am on grandfathered ATT unlimited and was throttled at 5gb.
    11-12-14 03:51 PM
    Are you on ATT? How do you get true unlimited? I am on grandfathered ATT unlimited and was throttled at 5gb.
    And that throttling is why AT&T is now in another lawsuit with the FTC.
    11-12-14 04:33 PM
    I have only been throttled once that I can remember. They sent me a text letting me know but since that time I haven't dealt with it

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 04:56 PM
    yeah thats what i keep hearing. "it's coming soon" but how soon? Like as in a date? blackberry should do more to make sure their partners in the US have some urgency when it comes to the release.
    Sadly I think BlackBerry has the clout anymore to make AT&T do anything...

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 05:07 PM
    When I went to the AT&T store in NYC (50th @ Time and Life building) representative showed me a room with 20 passports that they have been selling, and yes it will be official in Dec - take it for what it's worth.
    11-12-14 06:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    That would be in time for Black Friday sales of the Blackberry. And payday. I'm sure of the latter, not so much for the former.
    11-12-14 06:51 PM
92 1234