My Passport ear piece speaker is crackling. Of course my phone is just out of warranty.

This is definitely a hardware issue as I had it happen to 3 times to my Z10 as well. I work construction and I believe metal dust particles are getting in the speaker and wrecking it. I was hoping this wasn't going to happen to my Passport, figured BlackBerry would have solved this issue since it happened so many times to my Z10. I am not rough with my devices at all (never dropped and always in a case). I have also had this issue on really old BlackBerrys (9000 and 9700)

The ear piece speaker only crackles when on higher volume and the sound coming through is "loud" (turning the volume down remedies this issue but makes it tough to here people). It definitely works but is frustrating enough that I will have to find a replacement part to repair this. On my Z10 I had two replaced by warranty and one I replaced myself. I wish BlackBerry would make some of their parts more durable. Everyone else I work with has Androids and Apples and none of them have this issue.

Anyone else having this issue? Has anyone done the repair on the Passport yet? The Z10 was reasonably easy to repair.
    03-23-15 01:43 PM
    Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement ear piece speaker? Normally I get replacements from Amazon but they do not have any.
    03-23-15 02:59 PM
    Has anyone done the repair on the Passport yet? The Z10 was reasonably easy to repair.
    It's under the motherboard and partly under the steel frame. The little speaker itself is adhered to a small plastic assembly containing what I believe is a noise canceling microphone and dust screen with a foam double-sided mounting tape.

My phone took a swim so I had to clean it out ::argh::.

How long is the warranty good for on the Passport?

Passport ear piece speaker crackling!-img_00000445_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 likes this.
    03-23-15 06:48 PM
    Thanks for the info!

The warranty from Amazon is only a couple months. But warranty from BlackBerry is 1 year (via seller), "(i) For a BlackBerry Handheld smartphone the Warranty Period is one (1) year. Please contact the retailer from whom YOU purchased the BlackBerry Device on how to obtain customer support for your BlackBerry Device." I have contacted Amazon via email to find out what they will do under warranty for BlackBerry. I am currently awaiting reply from Amazon.
    03-23-15 06:53 PM
    Oh I'd love to get in my passport's pants but don't know how she would enjoy it,haha
    03-23-15 06:54 PM
    This happened to mine. I was in a dirty shop the day before I noticed it. It only occurred when volume was turned all they way up. Strangely when on speaker phone it did not happen.

I managed to fix mine! I put a light vacuum on the front (small dustbuster) touching the speaker, held the phone face down and spanked the back of it above the camera. Next phone call i got was back to clear. That was about a month ago and it has been fine since.

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 likes this.
    03-23-15 07:01 PM
    My Passport doesn't wear any pants

OP, I hope you manage to get it sorted out soon. I had the same issue with a Z10 too.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 07:02 PM
    This happened to mine. I was in a dirty shop the day before I noticed it. It only occurred when volume was turned all they way up. Strangely when on speaker phone it did not happen.

I managed to fix mine! I put a light vacuum on the front (small dustbuster) touching the speaker, held the phone face down and spanked the back of it above the camera. Next phone call i got was back to clear. That was about a month ago and it has been fine since.

Posted via CB10
    First, the earpiece speaker and the speaker phone speaker are two different speakers.

Second, I'll try your vacuum suggestion and report back.....
    03-23-15 07:04 PM
    curious did this work for you?
    03-24-15 10:20 AM
    I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I'll let you know as soon as I do
    03-30-15 05:45 PM
    Hello there, my passport has started to do the same (I'm also an engineer), it sounds as though small particles are bouncing up and down on the speaker, the noise appears to be worse when listening to the dialling tone on the other end of the phone call. Strange thing though, the noise isn't there when my phone is in hearing aid mode and yes I do wear them. I'll try the vacuum trick first before a warranty claim.
    04-23-15 03:23 PM
    Mine was actually crackling right out of the box brand new, the right side speaker. I took my air compressor to it and gently blew out the speaker. After that, speaker is fine. I'm guessing some type of fragment must have somehow got caught inside somewhere along the line.

Give this a try, could be the issue. These speakers are small and small speakers are not really prone to blowing.

-- Passport, VMO, Toronto CA
    04-26-15 04:57 PM
    I never needed to try the vacuum trick. The crackling just stopped by itself. I am guessing something was stuck in there. So that said the speaker was not blown or had an issue. Guessing the vacuum trick would work then.
    07-07-15 01:06 PM