Here is a screen capture of the double typing in action on my AT&T Passport. I made this specifically for the person who sold me the phone. I'm trying to get a hardware warranty through BlackBerry, but it's been an absolute nightmare because this phone wasn't purchased through Shop BlackBerry. AT&T is no help either because I'm not a direct customer, purchased the device elsewhere, and immediately had them unlock it.

My Passport is 2 months old, and I've dealt with this on 10.3.1 and 3 different builds of 10.3.2. At this point, I'm covered under purchase protection so I'll most likely return this phone to the seller and go back to the original Passport, making sure to purchase new off of Shop BlackBerry or used from someone who has the original purchase receipt. Do not purchase used, even if seller has original purchase receipt, if you want a warranty. You have to buy new and be the original buyer.

It's unfortunate because I do really like the AT&T version and would rather not return the phone, but this issue is pissing me off.

The strange sound in the video is my black lab eating from his new slow feed bowl. He used to inhale his food in 15 seconds, choke, and throw up all the time. The new bowl is awesome!

Edit: Here's all 3 videos, starting from the last one to the first, so you can see the progression over time and not have to read through the entire thread.

Last edited by Poi25; 06-20-15 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Added links to all three videos here so people don't have to search entire thread
    06-11-15 12:53 AM
    Where did you get that bowl?

Posted via CB10
    mf1982 likes this.
    06-11-15 01:08 AM
    Where did you get that bowl?

Posted via CB10
    Kyjen Slo-Bowl Slow Feeder Slow Feed Interactive Bloat Stop Dog Bowl. It's pretty sweet.
    joshua_sx1 likes this.
    06-11-15 01:10 AM
    The same double type as on the Q10.
    Sad

Posted via Q10Bold
    06-11-15 01:54 AM
    Sorry to hear that this issue is frustrating you. I have seen it mentioned often enough on the forums that I don't believe getting a replacement is a guarantee that the issue will not reoccur. My suggestion would be to use autocorrect on the offending words… somehow.

I believe this issue relates to the way cascades handles I/O operations. I say this because I have noticed that in the Music app, the buttons do not respond consistently to rapid presses. I think the apparent randomness of the occurrence could be related to when a buffer or timer refresh happens in the Input System.

Even if it was a hardware issue, a modern OS, let alone a REAL TIME OS like QNX, should have provisions to prevent reading a character before a certain amount of time has passed. Computer keyboards can read characters at such rapid rates that they are actually ignored for what would be an eternity in microprocessor terms just so that the same character is not read tens of times in the instant that the user thinks they have pressed the key just once. This is why desktop OS's have a Keyboard repeat setting.

I think in the desktop world, the OS is configured to recognize a key "hold" before initiating a repeat sequence. As I type this on my MacBook, I cannot hold and repeat the same character! Fast touch typists using full-sized keyboards range in the 100+ Words per minute speed which equates to 500 Characters Per Minute. If we say that unassisted thumb-typing can achieve half that rate at 250 CPM (50 WPM) then the appropriate input rate for a phone would be (250/60 = ~4 characters per second).

You can count "one-two-three-four" in one second to get a sense of how often the OS "should" accept a new character from the keyboard. Your video and other reports show that when double-typing occurs, the OS is accepting new characters too soon whereas it should be discarding them. It would truly be a hardware failure if the key(s) did not register. As it stands, the issue is a fixable bug in a basic, fundamental OS facility.

I would urge patience because this issue appears to be an easy software tweak. It is regrettable that BlackBerry and other Mobile OS vendors don't presently have update systems to deliver such minor fixes as these between major updates.
    06-11-15 01:58 AM
    I would urge patience because this issue appears to be an easy software tweak. It is regrettable that BlackBerry and other Mobile OS vendors don't presently have update systems to deliver such minor fixes as these between major updates.
    After a month of dealing with double typing, it's getting old. The severity waxes and wanes, but nonetheless, it's ******* annoying. Do you deal with double typing? If not, with all due respect, don't tell me to be patient.

And secondly, why does this affect some devices but not others? It's hardware. There's likely a software component exacerbating the issue, but it's hardware.
    06-11-15 02:11 AM
    The word 'happened/happenned' doesn't count as double type but rather a false autocorrect

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2204
    06-11-15 02:15 AM
    The word 'happened/happenned' doesn't count as double type but rather a false autocorrect

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2204
    Wrong. It was a double type, which I purposefully re-introduced once my Passport autocorrected, so I could keep all instances of double typing visible on the screen. I did that for every double type that autocorrected to the correct word.
    itiswhatitisnt likes this.
    06-11-15 02:18 AM
    I hope BlackBerry does you a solid and replace your unit for you. Send them the video as evidence if you have to.

The Passport keyboards are a one piece unit with a ribbon cable. It's not the old way where the carbon contacts were on the motherboard and the key pads would make contact to initiate keypresses. I would really like to take a defective one apart to see if dust or soot is getting in there causing double contact or pad warping.

I haven't seen that problem on my unit and I blow my phone out with an air compressor weekly just to keep it clean. After your video, it is definitely a hardware issue. The super-annoying part is that when significant soot and dust particles get into the keys, even pressing them certain ways can cause issues.

I hope you get sorted out proper. For those who don't have warranty coverage, you can start checking out Alibaba and eBay. Passport parts are starting to show up with more frequency. Full screen assemblies, keyboards, battery covers, you can find them now.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    06-11-15 02:41 AM
    I'd say grab the latest 10.3.2 released the other day. Some on the posters on the thread seem to show the problem is fixed.

Otherwise. I would grin and bare it until a later version leak or the official 10.3.2 comes out. Which is said to be soon.

A shame to go through all the trouble when it's such a big purchase.

I'm willing to bet that it's probably not a hardware problem, though I'm sure that does happen.

In the mean time. I find trying to make sure you're pressing one bottom at a time or not moving your other thumb (as much as you can) seems to avoid confusing the OS. Might be voodoo, but this has only been a problem since installing the 10.3.2 leak, and I notice it's worse when I'm rushing my typing.

Passport || Fido
    06-11-15 02:45 AM
    I hope BlackBerry does you a solid and replace your unit for you. Send them the video as evidence if you have to.
    BlackBerry won't do anything for me. They saw another video I recorded too.

I'd say grab the latest 10.3.2 released the other day. Some on the posters on the thread seem to show the problem is fixed.

Otherwise. I would grin and bare it until a later version leak or the official 10.3.2 comes out. Which is said to be soon.

A shame to go through all the trouble when it's such a big purchase.

I'm willing to bet that it's probably not a hardware problem, though I'm sure that does happen.

In the mean time. I find trying to make sure you're pressing one bottom at a time or not moving your other thumb (as much as you can) seems to avoid confusing the OS. Might be voodoo, but this has only been a problem since installing the 10.3.2 leak, and I notice it's worse when I'm rushing my typing.

Passport || Fido
    If you're speaking of .798, I'm already on it; didn't do ****. Double typing on 10.3.1, 10.3.2.500, 10.3.2.680, and 10.3.2.798. I don't see the point in continuing to put up with an extremely irritating hardware (likely software exacerbated) issue, when others replaced their devices and experienced immediate relief. Furthermore, it's not how I type. If it was, why did I go through 5 weeks of perfect typing? Did I suddenly develop bad typing habits, but only on specific keys? And these bad typing habits spread to other keys, but only at random? Not a chance, in my opinion. If typing speed is an issue, then ALL keys should double type, not a few specific ones over and over and over again.

If BlackBerry sold the Passport but had a disclaimer: "You must slowly type on each key, making sure to press it exactly in the middle with utmost accuracy, or you may experience frequent double typing of letters," I wouldn't have purchased this device.

It's just ******* sad that BlackBerry support won't stand behind 2 month old hardware. Let's face it, consumer BlackBerry users are a dying breed; support should not be treating their customers like this.
    gmsm and cazato like this.
    06-11-15 02:54 AM
    … And secondly, why does this affect some devices but not others? ...
    There are only theories about the cause of the issue and if you believe new hardware will fix it and/or have waited long enough for a fix, then you should definitely try it. I hope it all works out.
    06-11-15 03:50 AM
    What do you mean BlackBerry won't do anything for you? The device is faulty. Won't they replace under warranty??

Posted via CB10
    cazato likes this.
    06-11-15 07:14 AM
    What do you mean BlackBerry won't do anything for you? The device is faulty. Won't they replace under warranty??

Posted via CB10
    OP bought the handset from someone else, so i guess in this case the person who purchased the unit will have to deal with servicing or replacing through the warranty process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-11-15 10:14 AM
    Does the double typing happen in all apps or only email?

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 11:20 AM
    That video perfectly demonstrates what I'm seeing on my device. This issue has slowly crept up on me and it doesn't matter if I'm using the browser, text, bbm, email, or kik. I see C and N being more of the problem keys. I've been following the other threads regarding this issue as well. I'm still running on 10.3.1.1372. I was holding out hoping it was software related while waiting for an official OS upgrade.
    06-11-15 01:13 PM
    It's just ******* sad that BlackBerry support won't stand behind 2 month old hardware. Let's face it, consumer BlackBerry users are a dying breed; support should not be treating their customers like this.
    Because consumer BlackBerry users are a dying breed, BlackBerry loses very little if at all by ignoring the dying breed. Imagine if this were to happen on iOS or Android, it will be on pretty much every tech blogs out there with tech pundits either cursing or making fun of the issue. I believe people who still buy BlackBerry today simply have unconditional love for BlackBerry the company.
    cazato likes this.
    06-11-15 01:48 PM
    Does the double typing happen in all apps or only email?

Posted via CB10
    All apps.
    06-11-15 02:21 PM
    No double typing on Q10 or Passport. Passport is a great product for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 03:40 PM
    I'm sure that's exactly what OP wants to hear! :-)
    double_fault and Pcmx like this.
    06-11-15 04:01 PM
    Was the unit purchased second-hand or through an outfit like ShopBlackBerry or Amazon?

And honestly, Trauma Surgeon, it sounds like you're intentionally gloating now. Are you here to help or rub it in?
    06-11-15 04:03 PM
    Was the unit purchased second-hand or through an outfit like ShopBlackBerry or Amazon?

And honestly, Trauma Surgeon, it sounds like you're intentionally gloating now. Are you here to help or rub it in?
    He's being exactly what he's always been, a ******bag. Complains to hell and back about issues he experiences, and disregards ones others are experiencing. But then again he just acquired a Passport, so I hope I don't have the last laugh if his starts double typing.

I purchased my device brand new on eBay, so unfortunately without original purchase receipt there is very little I can do.

BlackBerry straight up refuses to help me out because it's an AT&T branded device (even though it's a BlackBerry -- makes no sense to me), and AT&T shuns me because I'm not a customer. PayPal protects me though so although I slightly feel bad for dragging the seller back into it, for a 2 month old device I find this absolutely unacceptable.

The funny part about this is I've been purchasing used devices for years now, and I've never had any issues. Not one, ever. I purchased this Passport brand new and within 2 months started having issues. Is this testament to BlackBerry's build quality, or just a function of lottery with mechanical components, or a combination of both?

I like the AT&T redesign, but I'm going to go back to an original Passport and give it another try, buying new off Amazon.

Edit: Wasn't Trauma the one who was touting "WE NEED EVIDENCE!! VIDEOS!!! ETC, ETC" in the other threads? But now that I provided a video he changes his tune to, "Well mine is perfect."

Kinda funny.
    Last edited by Poi25; 06-11-15 at 04:57 PM.
    double_fault likes this.
    06-11-15 04:14 PM
    They will replace with another faulty device that someone else sends in because of problems. Who knows it could be another double typing phone and in worse condition.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    gmsm likes this.
    06-11-15 04:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    Really??? No solutions? Just throw it in the OP's face that you have a perfect unit? Good call.

Posted via my awesome Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.680 with T-Mobile Unlimited Data
    06-11-15 04:35 PM
    Yeah, Poi25, I don't see you getting much help through any kind of factory or carrier warranty.

I've never dealt with eBay/PayPal coverage myself in this kind of situation, but they have help me out in the past with parts and shipments that have arrived damaged or DOA. If they can help you out somehow with this phone issue that would be great.

Most of the cell phone companies are sticklers for dealing with original purchasers only and through carriers. And this is where Apple trumps most of them when it comes to customer service. As long as you are in the one year or AppleCare warranty period, they don't even care about the phone's ownership backstory, your phone gets swapped out without incident. Usually you're in and out of the store within 30 minutes.

Good luck, boss, hopefully you get some positive outcome.
    gmsm likes this.
    06-11-15 05:12 PM
99 123 ...