you highlight the wrong phrase it should be I'm hearing that
    Actually I was highlighting what I intended. "I'm hearing that" doesn't match with my point. The statement "Passport doesn't use quad-core" vs "isn't using the quad-core to its maximum potential" was what I was talking about, specifically - as one is a statement (as in fact), one is an opinion (usually, not exclusively). The "I'm hearing that" is adding to it to emphasize opinion but it can be correctly inferred without it.

Thank you though as I continue to grow through learning. Cheers.
    10-26-14 02:21 PM
    And yet people still find reasons to complain.

If its not the square screen(which we all knew would have letterboxing when playing videos), to a 50Mah difference in battery, to this. It never ceases to amaze me how other phone manufacturers have near fatal flaws in their OS or hardware, and it's OK because its user error, so says the manufacturer.

Blackberry has a solid product and people still find reasons to complain. Go figure.
    Not to mention all the spec hounds crying out for a "Beast" Blackberry phone lol. Now that we finally have one they still can't help themselves from complaining!
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-26-14 05:16 PM
    BB10's multi-threading is perfectly fine, if you run Geekbench 3 the score is similar to other comparable smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    I won't trust those Geekbench scores until it's done with a native app in stead of an Android port.

*VI* Posted Via CB10 on my Z10*VI*
    10-26-14 05:28 PM
    Passport doesnt use quad core? Next I will be hearing that it doesn't use the camera flash because its not need..wait..what?
    10-26-14 07:28 PM
    Here's one for you. I read this and tried the corner swipe on my Z30. I show 3 pairs of numbers next to the cpu heading. SO, either I have a 3 core Z30, or that number has nothing to do with the number of cores and is some sort of cpu info for internal use.
    10-26-14 07:49 PM
    On a beta build if you do the top left hand corner gesture, it will show cpu usage % per core. I can only see 3 numbers next to cpu. Only using 3 cores??
    Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but you can't just start assuming you know what numbers mean when you see them on the screen... Assumptions lead to looking like an assum..... Well, just take off the um there.

In any case, those numbers are load numbers for a *nix (Unix/Linux/BSD/etc) system. They indicate load over the last 1 minute, 5 minutes, and 15 minutes. You can read a bit more about it here if you're curious: Load (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure the OS is using the 4 cores, but I have noticed in Android applications that possibly only 2 of the cores are exposed. That actually would make sense to me to run the Android stuff on only 2 cores, it would leave at least 2 cores then for the OS and BB10 based applications. Don't hold me to it on this, but numerous Android apps show only two of the cores exposed. Could be a limitation of the runtime, or an imposed restriction on how many cores the Android apps can occupy.
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    10-26-14 07:55 PM
    They actually just got the 2.2GHz version of the chip, which is used in other products too. It was underclocked to 2.1GHz on release but now it's running at full speed in newer firmwares.
    The Snapdragon 801 8974AA is a 2.2GHz quad-core chip. If they ran it any faster it'd be overclocked.
    Not quite actually - the max frequency on the MSM8974AA is 2.3GHz: AnandTech | The Difference Between Snapdragon 800 and 801: Clearing up Confusion

It has been running at 2.2GHz since launch as far as I know - I got my unit on launch day and Geekbench 3 showed 2.2GHz, but there was an update that day so it's possible it may have ran at 2.1 at some point. However, on early 10.3.1 leaks it was running at the standard 2.3GHz, so you are right in saying that it's running at full speed in newer firmwares.
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    10-26-14 11:17 PM
    I'm hearing that the passport isn't using the quad-core to its maximum potential.
    From who?

the OS should show no lag
    but for now I'm hearing it's not.
    From who?
    10-27-14 12:45 AM
    The proof is in the pudding :
    Geekbench 3 native.
    Multicore tests are close to 4 times the single core.

Attachment 309570
    Attachment 309571
    Nice!

I only got 764 and 2469 on 10.3.1.632
    The other thing I wonder how can you have the highest score of everyone ever submitted?

passport - Geekbench Search - Geekbench Browser
    10-27-14 03:43 AM
    That's not a good comparison.
    There are a couple things to take into account here:
    i. The Z10 can run BB10 with a 1.5 Ghz dual core processor-- let's just assume that this is a basic threshold for processing power needed for every day tasks on the OS--, and the Z30 has a 2 Ghz dual core processor. We have a significant difference here: the '30 has 30% more processing power than the '10, and the '10 can already run the OS sufficiently. So, the '30 will be faster, especially when multi tasking or gaming, but while running your average task, it isn't that noticeable.
    ii. The Passport has a quad core processor. It can spread tasks across twice as many cores as either the '30 or the '10. It's less reliant on pure speed than a dual core processor device would be. Taking .5 Ghz off a dual core processor would make a much larger difference than taking .5Ghz off a quad core one.
    iii. The Passport's processor is not only faster, but it has twice as many cores. Taking .3 Ghz off a 2.5 Ghz quad core processor is going to make a much smaller difference than the .5 Ghz disadvantage that the Z10 has when compared to the Z30 (both using dual core CPU's). Now, if that alone doesn't quiet your end user performance qualms, take a second to recognize that if a dual core 1.5 Ghz processor exceeds the everyday BB10 performance requirement, and a 2 Ghz processor adds a little polish when multi tasking, a quad core processor at 2.2 Ghz could almost be considered over kill for every day tasks. Indeed, the Passport will likely never max out its processor, unless you're gaming, etc., so there's really no need to raise the roof on it a little higher. But, if this keeps the device running longer or keeps it from overheating and sustaining damage to the CPU or battery during heavy multi tasking or gaming periods, it is going to make a difference.
    Posted via CB10
    I also remember hearing something special about the Z30 GPU? Am I wrong?
    10-27-14 09:38 AM
    They real question is BB10 designed to work with all four cores efficiently. Are the native apps designed to use multiple cores, or are they just single core process?

It would be nice if device monitor showed each core (like Windows Task Manager does).

But basically it comes down to how is your experience? If you are happy and it handles everything you want done quickly with no "hi-cups" and great battery life.... then it WORKS.
    lgiordano likes this.
    10-27-14 10:03 AM
    I'm struggling to figure out what BB10 native apps would even use quad core. Games? No cutting edge games in AppWorld. All the productivity/business apps don't even need dual core. They could have disabled cores 3/4 and I bet no one would notice the difference.
    10-27-14 01:01 PM
    Nice!

I only got 764 and 2469 on 10.3.1.632
    The other thing I wonder how can you have the highest score of everyone ever submitted?
    No idea! I just went to BBworld, downloaded GB, run it, took a few screenshots, and then deleted it I don't believe in benchmarks but I was sure that a native app should prove that all 4 cores are being used.

What I haven't posted is that I also downloaded the GB version from the amazon store and that reported two cores. Maybe the OP heard somewhere that the android apps are using two cores and maybe he is right?
    10-27-14 02:13 PM
    I got baited into clicking by the misleading title. At first I thought that the "Passport doesn't use quad-core" but after reading the description, it was actually the "Passport does not use all 4 cores."
    10-27-14 04:56 PM
    So Title changed and most OT removed. Let's keep the discussion moving forward. Thanks
    10-27-14 05:51 PM
    The proof is in the pudding :
    Geekbench 3 native.
    Multicore tests are close to 4 times the single core.

Attachment 309570
    Attachment 309571
    Yes but geekbench is actually programmed to use all the cores, do we know that BB10 is?
    10-27-14 06:11 PM
    I won't trust those Geekbench scores until it's done with a native app in stead of an Android port.

*VI* Posted Via CB10 on my Z10*VI*
    That is a native app...
    10-27-14 06:12 PM
    On a beta build if you do the top left hand corner gesture, it will show cpu usage % per core. I can only see 3 numbers next to cpu. Only using 3 cores??
    I have viewed on both my Passport and Z10, yet both show 3 numbers. "Only using 3 cores??" Theory > 0, as shown:

Passport:

Passport doesn't use all 4 cores?-img_20141027_230925.jpg

Z10:

Passport doesn't use all 4 cores?-img_20141027_231328.jpg

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632
    10-27-14 06:16 PM
    I have viewed on both my Passport and Z10, yet both show 3 numbers. "Only using 3 cores??" Theory > 0, as shown:

Passport:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141027_230925.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	309915

Z10:

Name:	IMG_20141027_231328.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	309916

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632
    Do you think that smaller number in the Memory line is the 4th core just wrapped to the second line? I'd have to see it behave to know for sure but that's my theory. Keep in mind that overlay is only meant for a dev and might be sloppy code
    10-28-14 07:57 AM
    I'm hearing that the passport isn't using the quad-core to its maximum potential. The OS, I know doesn't need much to run but still. With that quality quad-core chipset the OS should show no lag and look like Brian off the fast and the furious 1 using NOS lol. All jokes aside I'm think after a few updates the OS might use the chips a bit more but for now I'm hearing it's not.

Posted via my BeastBerry Z30
    Sorry, where are you "hearing" this?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 08:56 AM
    Passport doesn't use all 4 cores?-img_20141224_173711.jpg

Maybe android player doesn't use all 4 cores (CPU just detect dual core!)
    12-26-14 04:01 AM

Name:	IMG_20141224_173711.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	323227

Maybe android player doesn't use all 4 cores (CPU just detect dual core!)
    Maybe 2 cores are 'reserved' for the Android Runtime when opened,while the remaining 2 cores are for the BB10 OS.
    Is that possible??
    12-26-14 05:47 AM
47 12