I'm hearing that the passport isn't using the quad-core to its maximum potential. The OS, I know doesn't need much to run but still. With that quality quad-core chipset the OS should show no lag and look like Brian off the fast and the furious 1 using NOS lol. All jokes aside I'm think after a few updates the OS might use the chips a bit more but for now I'm hearing it's not.

Posted via my BeastBerry Z30
    10-25-14 07:28 PM
    Where? On the local radio?

"I'm hearing"??

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    10-25-14 07:32 PM
    I can't imagine they are holding the device back but I can say its hard for any operating system to efficiently use multiple cores. The Snapdragon 801 itself sleeps idle cores if not needed so under lighter loads it can save battery. Not sure how quickly it can wake other cores but that may contribute.

Regardless or rumors or speculation I can agree that updates might help this device perform better. This is the first quad code device they have ever released and that understandably comes with a few bumps in the road that will iron out over time.
    10-25-14 07:38 PM
    The Snapdragon 801 is a 2.5 Ghz quad-core CPU. BlackBerry downclocked it to 2.2 Ghz. They did this intentionally; it's not a software flaw. The result, presumably, is better battery life, accompanied by a minimal drop in POTENTIAL performance, which is likely near unnoticeable. As an end user, you probably wouldn't be able to notice a difference in device performance (especially running everyday tasks-- intense gaming might be the exception, and even that is a might), but you probably would notice a difference in battery consumption or heat production. A lot of PC makers do this as well; it keeps your machine running at a cooler temperature, and in the case of laptops, running longer as well.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 07:42 PM
    On a beta build if you do the top left hand corner gesture, it will show cpu usage % per core. I can only see 3 numbers next to cpu. Only using 3 cores??
    10-25-14 07:57 PM
    So they did under-clock the phone. I figured it was something. I think you can notice it, let's take the Z10 and Z30 for instance. Which one is better?

10-25-14 08:01 PM
    So they did under-clock the phone. I figured it was something. I think you can notice it, let's take the Z10 and Z30 for instance. Which one is better?

That's not a good comparison.
    There are a couple things to take into account here:
    i. The Z10 can run BB10 with a 1.5 Ghz dual core processor-- let's just assume that this is a basic threshold for processing power needed for every day tasks on the OS--, and the Z30 has a 2 Ghz dual core processor. We have a significant difference here: the '30 has 30% more processing power than the '10, and the '10 can already run the OS sufficiently. So, the '30 will be faster, especially when multi tasking or gaming, but while running your average task, it isn't that noticeable.
    ii. The Passport has a quad core processor. It can spread tasks across twice as many cores as either the '30 or the '10. It's less reliant on pure speed than a dual core processor device would be. Taking .5 Ghz off a dual core processor would make a much larger difference than taking .5Ghz off a quad core one.
    iii. The Passport's processor is not only faster, but it has twice as many cores. Taking .3 Ghz off a 2.5 Ghz quad core processor is going to make a much smaller difference than the .5 Ghz disadvantage that the Z10 has when compared to the Z30 (both using dual core CPU's). Now, if that alone doesn't quiet your end user performance qualms, take a second to recognize that if a dual core 1.5 Ghz processor exceeds the everyday BB10 performance requirement, and a 2 Ghz processor adds a little polish when multi tasking, a quad core processor at 2.2 Ghz could almost be considered over kill for every day tasks. Indeed, the Passport will likely never max out its processor, unless you're gaming, etc., so there's really no need to raise the roof on it a little higher. But, if this keeps the device running longer or keeps it from overheating and sustaining damage to the CPU or battery during heavy multi tasking or gaming periods, it is going to make a difference.
    Posted via CB10
    NYTOC83, RIM99, thedose and 6 others like this.
    10-25-14 08:21 PM
    On a beta build if you do the top left hand corner gesture, it will show cpu usage % per core. I can only see 3 numbers next to cpu. Only using 3 cores??
    Can you take a screenshot of that?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    vgorous likes this.
    10-25-14 08:23 PM
    I'm hearing that the passport isn't using the quad-core to its maximum potential.
    As someone else asked, hearing from where? From who? Can you elaborate?

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-25-14 09:48 PM
    May I ask which beta version of qc8974 OS is installed on your Passport?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 10:33 PM
    It's more likely that QNX is better able to take advantage of the extra cores than the OS on any competing device.

The Snapdragon 801 is a 2.5 Ghz quad-core CPU. BlackBerry downclocked it to 2.2 Ghz.
    They actually just got the 2.2GHz version of the chip, which is used in other products too. It was underclocked to 2.1GHz on release but now it's running at full speed in newer firmwares.
    The Snapdragon 801 8974AA is a 2.2GHz quad-core chip. If they ran it any faster it'd be overclocked.

Can you take a screenshot of that?
    No, but maybe a photo :P
    10-25-14 10:41 PM
    I'm hearing that the passport isn't using the quad-core to its maximum potential. The OS, I know doesn't need much to run but still. With that quality quad-core chipset the OS should show no lag and look like Brian off the fast and the furious 1 using NOS lol. All jokes aside I'm think after a few updates the OS might use the chips a bit more but for now I'm hearing it's not.

Can you PLEASE mean what you're saying and SAY what you mean with respect to the thread title you're creating and stating, please?
    10-25-14 11:45 PM
    Can you PLEASE mean what you're saying and SAY what you mean with respect to the thread title you're creating and stating, please?
    you highlight the wrong phrase it should be I'm hearing that
    10-26-14 12:19 AM
    No, but maybe a photo :P
    I'd really like to see this. I watched snapdragon demos where they showed core usage but didn't think BlackBerry could show that.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 07:04 AM
    Perhaps the OP wants all four cores running at max speed just to look CB forum.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 08:58 AM
    Should not matter, I guess, because the 3mb ram will smooth things out to an end user like me.

Q5SQR100-3/10.2.1.3247
    10-26-14 09:02 AM
    you always wanna underclock. that's how you get the phenomenal battery life it gets

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 09:20 AM
    muti treading is dependent on a number of factors: compiler, the apps, blah, blah.... Wouldn't worry too much about it.
    10-26-14 10:28 AM
    BB10's multi-threading is perfectly fine, if you run Geekbench 3 the score is similar to other comparable smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 10:51 AM

you know all that geek bench crap is specifically for iphone and android. It hasn't been optimized for BB10 or WP8.

Anyways, like xsacha said ^^ it's working normal now on the newer builds.
    10-26-14 10:59 AM
    That's not a good comparison.
    There are a couple things to take into account here:
    i. The Z10 can run BB10 with a 1.5 Ghz dual core processor-- let's just assume that this is a basic threshold for processing power needed for every day tasks on the OS--, and the Z30 has a 2 Ghz dual core processor. We have a significant difference here: the '30 has 30% more processing power than the '10, and the '10 can already run the OS sufficiently. So, the '30 will be faster, especially when multi tasking or gaming, but while running your average task, it isn't that noticeable.
    ii. The Passport has a quad core processor. It can spread tasks across twice as many cores as either the '30 or the '10. It's less reliant on pure speed than a dual core processor device would be. Taking .5 Ghz off a dual core processor would make a much larger difference than taking .5Ghz off a quad core one.
    iii. The Passport's processor is not only faster, but it has twice as many cores. Taking .3 Ghz off a 2.5 Ghz quad core processor is going to make a much smaller difference than the .5 Ghz disadvantage that the Z10 has when compared to the Z30 (both using dual core CPU's). Now, if that alone doesn't quiet your end user performance qualms, take a second to recognize that if a dual core 1.5 Ghz processor exceeds the everyday BB10 performance requirement, and a 2 Ghz processor adds a little polish when multi tasking, a quad core processor at 2.2 Ghz could almost be considered over kill for every day tasks. Indeed, the Passport will likely never max out its processor, unless you're gaming, etc., so there's really no need to raise the roof on it a little higher. But, if this keeps the device running longer or keeps it from overheating and sustaining damage to the CPU or battery during heavy multi tasking or gaming periods, it is going to make a difference.
    Posted via CB10
    Actually the Z30 is 1.7 not 2.0. Ghz

10-26-14 11:17 AM
    The proof is in the pudding :
    Geekbench 3 native.
    Multicore tests are close to 4 times the single core.

Passport doesn't use all 4 cores?-img_20141026_184948.png
    Passport doesn't use all 4 cores?-img_20141026_185019.png
    10-26-14 11:52 AM
    you know all that geek bench crap is specifically for iphone and android. It hasn't been optimized for BB10 or WP8.

Anyways, like xsacha said ^^ it's working normal now on the newer builds.
    I completely agree. They (benchmarks) are not representative of how efficient the overall system is.

I'd like to see benchmarking where gaming is applied since it involves the hardware and software working together. I'd like to see multitasking as a benchmark as well as how quick the apps are executed.

Then let's talk about battery life on those fast efficient systems.

That'll show you who the clear winner is..

F programs like geek bench.. cause manufacturers know how to make it look good. In the end it can falsely describes the entire system when comparing multiple manufacturers's OS platforms .

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 12:03 PM
    And yet people still find reasons to complain.

If its not the square screen(which we all knew would have letterboxing when playing videos), to a 50Mah difference in battery, to this. It never ceases to amaze me how other phone manufacturers have near fatal flaws in their OS or hardware, and it's OK because its user error, so says the manufacturer.

Blackberry has a solid product and people still find reasons to complain. Go figure.
    10-26-14 01:16 PM
    And yet people still find reasons to complain.

If its not the square screen(which we all knew would have letterboxing when playing videos), to a 50Mah difference in battery, to this. It never ceases to amaze me how other phone manufacturers have near fatal flaws in their OS or hardware, and it's OK because its user error, so says the manufacturer.

Blackberry has a solid product and people still find reasons to complain. Go figure.
    Hear, hear!

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 01:30 PM
47 12