Ok, so the Passport reportedly will have a 3450 mAh battery. But it will have an LCD screen and high pixel density. Won't this be a severe detriment to the battery life?
    Last edited by europolska00; 07-30-14 at 12:56 AM.
    07-29-14 10:46 PM
    Yes. Thankfully the battery is large enough to cover for that.

Posted via (hopefully) a passport A10
    07-29-14 10:54 PM
    Ok, so the Passport reportedly will have a 3450 may battery. But it will have an LCD screen and high pixel density. Won't this be a severe detriment to the battery life?
    No. The IPS LCD display is the choice of all successful smartphones. The BlackBerry team knows this and that's why they chose it.

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    07-29-14 11:09 PM
    No. The IPS LCD display is the choice of all successful smartphones. The BlackBerry team knows this and that's why they chose it.

Posted via CB10
    But isn't that why they said they switched to LED on Q10 and Z30, from LCD like on Z10? LCD uses power to make a black pixel, where as in LED the pixel is off to make black, hence power saving? Can you elaborate more about IPS LCD screens? Thanks for your help.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 01:02 AM
    But isn't that why they said they switched to LED on Q10 and Z30, from LCD like on Z10? LCD uses power to make a black pixel, where as in LED the pixel is off to make black, hence power saving? Can you elaborate more about IPS LCD screens? Thanks for your help.
    No they did not say that. The IPS LCD screen is the display of choice on all major flagship phones. With the exception of Samsung who is the manufacturer of the competing AMOLED.

If you want an enjoyable viewing experience choose IPS LCD.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 01:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    OLED screens in most cases will be inferior. They have better contrast (infinite contrast ratio actually), and have deeper blacks (pixels are shut off), and usually have good viewing angles.

However, it's difficult for OLED screens to produce white, and white will actually suck juice more than an IPS LCD. OLED screens also suffer from burn-in, as the pixels have a finite life. Eventually pixels will start to die out on common symbols that's are perpetually on screen, such as clock and status bar symbols. Also, OLED screens only save power on black colors. White and blue are the "hardest" colors to produce and the most power drawing. Since there is no back light in OLED displays, each pixel has to light itself up, and this generally effects brightness. Look at the Z10's (IPS LCD) brightness compared to the Q10 (OLED). IPS LCD screens are illuminated by a large back light.

IPS LCD's have no burn-in, less saturated colors, and will always have a consistent power draw.
    07-30-14 01:22 AM
    I also wanted to chime-in about the screen burn-in all AMOLED displays are suffering from sooner or later. I today noticed by accident, my now roughly 15 months old Q10 also has first, yet slight problems with this.
    On these OLED displays, you can imagine every single pixel as some kind of candle. The brighter it shines, the faster the candle burns down, resulting in less and less brightness over time. So the burn-in problem is actually more a "burn-out" problem.
    If you ever go into a store I suggest to take a look at some OLED Nokia Lumias (like 925 or 1020) and see if you can spot any ghost images on the demo units.

It is true however AMOLED screens require less power when displaying dark/black, since little to no power is required for this pixel. This is one of the reasons why so many people complained until we got light and dark themes and still fighting to get a dark Hub. Yet when an OLED screen needs to display whites, the power drain actually is higher compared to LCD screens.

Now to answer your question: Of course the rather large display combined with such a high resolution relates to quite a battery drain. However at the ende of the day I expect the Passport will still be at least on the same level as the already very good Z30 and I honestly think it will still outperform it.
    Take a look at the Lumia 1520. It features a massive 6" screen (although it runs at a lower fullHD resolution) and comes with a comparable 3400mAH battery. It is one of the best phones out there in terms of battery performance.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    07-30-14 02:51 AM
    Honestly I prefer my Z10s screen over the Q10. It is at least many levels brighter than the Q10s and the colors look more natural.

Also, my barely a year old Q10 already displays ghost spots (like a sign in button) that is permanently there and is very apparent on a white screen.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 08:14 AM
    What's more, my Q10's screen cannot dim very low, but the Z10's screen can. Bring on the IPS LCD for accuracy and dark environment usage.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 08:33 AM
    I would have preferred a removable. I have 5 Q10 batts and I never have to go searching for a wall outlet. With how much I expect to be using the Passport daily I think I'll be going through that battery pretty quick.
    07-30-14 02:55 PM
    I would have preferred a removable. I have 5 Q10 batts and I never have to go searching for a wall outlet. With how much I expect to be using the Passport daily I think I'll be going through that battery pretty quick.
    Have you ever considered one. of those external battery powerpacks? I got one because my Lumia 1020 got a rather disappointing battery life. The one I got is an Anker one with 9000mAH and I think I've seen rather pocketable ones go up to roughly 12.000mAH. While of course it would be great to have a removeable battery, at least to replace it yourself when its lifespan ends, you can at least keep the phone running.

07-30-14 03:12 PM
    Have you ever considered one. of those external battery powerpacks? I got one because my Lumia 1020 got a rather disappointing battery life. The one I got is an Anker one with 9000mAH and I think I've seen rather pocketable ones go up to roughly 12.000mAH. While of course it would be great to have a removeable battery, at least to replace it yourself when its lifespan ends, you can at least keep the phone running.

Do those live up to their billing? I remember having one years ago and it lasted less than one genuine battery? But I probably will go that route come September.
    07-30-14 03:59 PM