Well, since the last siren incident my Passport went dead and it didn't even power up. So just for kicks I bought a replacement battery to check if the original battery was the problem.
    Now the phone powers up again, but sadly the siren issue is still there. I guess something fried in the motherboard.

HEADPHONES AND LOUD SPEAKERS ALERT!

02-29-20 11:13 AM
    So much for only TCLBerry's having issues
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    03-01-20 09:06 AM
    Sadly, this happened to my Passport on Thursday, I was listening to music on earphones when I had to literally tear them off not to get deaf, the siren was extremely loud through the earphones even when I had them off, the phone was constantly making some rustling noise in standby and Wi-Fi was toggling on and off, the phone was quite hot and battery dropped from 90 to 40 percent in half an hour, intended to make a backup on Saturday morning, but I have not been able to turn it on since that day. If I try to charge it, solid red LED turns on and whistling can be heard, but I don’t think it’s actually charging.
    03-01-20 11:37 PM
    So much for only TCLBerry's having issues
    I suspect if you bought 10,000 iPhone you have a few of them that would be "bad" as well.

There was nothing magical about BlackBerry and their quality control.... we had BBOS devices that failed (within the norm). And if you ignore CrackBerry, most the "new" (BB10, BBAS) BlackBerry devices get "pretty" good reviews and ratings.

Even with the Screen Lift issues and the No Service issues... I suspect the Passport is within the "norm" when it comes to failures over time for electronic devices. It's just if someone has an issue... they come to CrackBerry.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-02-20 09:27 AM
    ...the phone was quite hot and battery dropped from 90 to 40 percent in half an hour, intended to make a backup on Saturday morning, but I have not been able to turn it on since that day. If I try to charge it, solid red LED turns on and whistling can be heard, but I don’t think it’s actually charging.
    Mine did exactly the same. Changing the battery solved the not turning on issue, but the siren is still there.

I purchased a cheap battery just for testing on Aliexpress. I thing the only viable fix is to replace the mainboard but those are pretty expensive. It's more convenient just to by a new phone on ebay.
    03-04-20 05:22 PM
    Mine did exactly the same. Changing the battery solved the not turning on issue, but the siren is still there.

I purchased a cheap battery just for testing on Aliexpress. I thing the only viable fix is to replace the mainboard but those are pretty expensive. It's more convenient just to by a new phone on ebay.
    I actually thought of replacing the battery if it could solve the not turning on issue, but I do not have the needed type of screwdriver. So I took it to a repair shop and just asked them if they could unplug the battery and plug it back and it turned on actually, (they also told me the battery was a bit swollen and should be changed), so I copied all the files to an SD card and then transfered them to my PC. (It is no longer possible to connect the phone to the PC through USB, BlackBerry Blend/Link cannot find the device, and Wi-Fi cannot be used either as it constantly toggles on and off.) They told me the PCB repair may range approximately from 36 to 108 euros depending what is wrong there. I’ve already bought Key2 as a replacement (though still on the way due to COVID19), but I will definitely consider the repair if it’s in the lower range of the estimated price and keep it as a backup phone. I’ll see.
    03-24-20 03:48 PM
    I actually thought of replacing the battery if it could solve the not turning on issue, but I do not have the needed type of screwdriver. So I took it to a repair shop and just asked them if they could unplug the battery and plug it back and it turned on actually, (they also told me the battery was a bit swollen and should be changed), so I copied all the files to an SD card and then transfered them to my PC. (It is no longer possible to connect the phone to the PC through USB, BlackBerry Blend/Link cannot find the device, and Wi-Fi cannot be used either as it constantly toggles on and off.) They told me the PCB repair may range approximately from 36 to 108 euros depending what is wrong there. I’ve already bought Key2 as a replacement (though still on the way due to COVID19), but I will definitely consider the repair if it’s in the lower range of the estimated price and keep it as a backup phone. I’ll see.
    Yes, I think a motherboard replace should do it, but a good one on eTrade is around 80 bucks, so I don't know if it's worth it.
    03-24-20 06:32 PM
    Yes, I think a motherboard replace should do it, but a good one on eTrade is around 80 bucks, so I don't know if it's worth it.
    Yeah, as you'd still have many other "older" components that could also fail....

While I know a few guys that will keep pouring money into old collectible cars... I just don't see technology in the same way. Never seen a guy pick-up a girl because he was using a 100LB laptop from the 90's in a Cafe' or flashing a retro phone.
    03-25-20 08:22 AM
    Never seen a guy pick-up a girl because he was using a 100LB laptop from the 90's in a Cafe' or flashing a retro phone.
    I haven't seen it with my own eyes either but I've gotten a lot of attention whenever my BlackBerry's were visible. Slabs don't have personality/distinction to them so obviously a PKB will attract attention.

It's got to have happened somewhere lol
    03-25-20 08:45 AM
    I haven't seen it with my own eyes either but I've gotten a lot of attention whenever my BlackBerry's were visible. Slabs don't have personality/distinction to them so obviously a PKB will attract attention.

It's got to have happened somewhere lol
    I do agree that PKB's stand out....

It's a matter of what kind of attention are they attracting, and what are those "admirers" thinking as you walk away?

"I must have one of those, would be so much more productive with it"
    "that was really retro, might look into getting one"
    "that was interesting, if i typed more I might get one.... but it's not for me"
    "glad I don't own one of those"
    "what a loser using an old phone like that"

Personally, I don't mind not attracting attention.
    03-25-20 09:19 AM
    I do agree that PKB's stand out....

It's a matter of what kind of attention are they attracting, and what are those "admirers" thinking as you walk away?

"I must have one of those, would be so much more productive with it"
    "that was really retro, might look into getting one"
    "that was interesting, if i typed more I might get one.... but it's not for me"
    "glad I don't own one of those"
    "what a loser using an old phone like that"
    Lol I have to agree with your depiction of what they might be thinking after encountering someone using a PKB device

That last one would really be ironic if that slabber is using a phone that's older than the KEY2
    03-25-20 09:37 AM
    I have also found today, that the battery is nearly dead, I turned off the phone at 5 am (shortly after it had been charged, it had something above 80%, I was a bit afraid that it wouldn’t turn on again, however all data had been already copied to my pc, so it wouldn’t matter that much), I turned it on at 11 am (6 hours later), and while it turned on, the battery was at 0%, so it completely discharges after a few hours even when phone is off. I just wonder why the both things got broken the very same day, the battery and the motherboard, could the failing battery have caused the damage to the board supplying too low or high current or vie versa the failing motherboard damaged the battery? That is really strange. :-/
    03-25-20 10:17 AM
    Yeah, as you'd still have many other "older" components that could also fail....

While I know a few guys that will keep pouring money into old collectible cars... I just don't see technology in the same way. Never seen a guy pick-up a girl because he was using a 100LB laptop from the 90's in a Cafe' or flashing a retro phone.
    Well, it depends. The majority of the components are incorporated in the mainboard, the few that are not aren't likely to cause the symptom that we are talking about.

And about the cost of repair I didn't mean that it's not worth to repair classic devices, but that it is maybe more convenient to find a new one on ebay (AT&T Passports are around 180 bucks).
    I mean, I don't want to expend that kind of money on a device that I don't necessarily need right now, but for sure if I had that extra cash lying around I will fix my Passport.
    03-25-20 12:24 PM
    Well, it depends. The majority of the components are incorporated in the mainboard, the few that are not aren't likely to cause the symptom that we are talking about.

And about the cost of repair I didn't mean that it's not worth to repair classic devices, but that it is maybe more convenient to find a new one on ebay (AT&T Passports are around 180 bucks).
    I mean, I don't want to expend that kind of money on a device that I don't necessarily need right now, but for sure if I had that extra cash lying around I will fix my Passport.
    battery, screen, keyboard, mother board.... might as well buy a new one if you can find it. Or replace them all at once, because if you have to pay a repair cost as each of those go bad......
    03-25-20 01:17 PM
    battery, screen, keyboard, mother board.... might as well buy a new one if you can find it. Or replace them all at once, because if you have to pay a repair cost as each of those go bad......
    Yes, but the battery, screen or keyboard are not the ones causing the siren issue, that's what I was saying.
    03-25-20 03:31 PM
40 12