My OG Passport died today after a day of death groans. I doubt I'll put too much effort into fixing it unless someone here can tell me that it sounds like a minor issue and can be fixed relatively easily.

Here's what happened:

A couple days ago it felt like it was vibrating softly for a minute or two but since it was in a case i figured it was my imagination.

Yesterday the battery died quickly and it was pretty hot. I only have three Android Apps but I fgured one was acting up. I uninstalled them, charged the phone and went to bed.

Today, First it wouldn't connect to WIFI. It was constantly toggling the WiFi setting OFF while searching but not finding any WiFi networks (there were many). Then it made a couple crazy noises. One was a loud siren sound and the other was kinda a vibration noise. After that it powered off.

I rebooted it and did a security swipe. But after the BB10 setup tutorial it made the loud siren noise again and powered off.

My guess is a hardware issue which means it's toast....

It's a shame as I bought it new three years ago and babied it ever since. I doubt if it's ever been dropped and still looks brand new.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Haivu1945; 10-26-18 at 10:28 AM.
    10-26-18 09:02 AM
    My OG Passport died today after a day of death groans. I doubt I'll put too much effort into fixing it unless someone here can tell me that it sounds like a minor issue and can be fixed relatively easily.

Here's what happened:

A couple days ago it felt like it was vibrating softly for a minute or two but since it was in a case i figured it was my imagination. Yesterday the battery died quickly and it was pretty hot. I only have three Android Apps but ifigured one was acting up. I uninstalled them and charged the phone and went to bed.

Today First it wouldn't connect to WIFI. It didn't find any networks and was constantly toggling he WiFi setting OFF in then it itade a couple crazy noises, one was a loud siren sound and the other was a vibration noise. After that it powered off. I rebooted it and did a security swipe. After the BB10 setup tutorial it made the loud siren noise again and powered off.

My guess is a hardware issue which means it's toast....

What do you think?
    Ya. Seems like something fried.
    Haivu1945 likes this.
    10-26-18 09:05 AM
    You are big fan of blackberry!

Blackberry Passport silver edit 10.3.3 2137
    Haivu1945 likes this.
    10-26-18 09:17 AM
    Toast!
    Haivu1945 likes this.
    10-26-18 09:26 AM
    Ash to dust farewell my love.
    11-18-18 05:24 PM
    I hope my OG never does that.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-19 12:34 PM
    Happened to my SE a few days ago. The crazy siren sound and then some random white noise.

First I thought it was the speakers, so I plugged in the earphones and the siren happened again on the earphones, so clearly is some internal hardware damage of some sort. It all started using whatsapp.

What a crazy thing. The siren was terribly loud.
    01-13-20 11:01 PM
    Happened to my SE a few days ago. The crazy siren sound and then some random white noise.

First I thought it was the speakers, so I plugged in the earphones and the siren happened again on the earphones, so clearly is some internal hardware damage of some sort. It all started using whatsapp.

What a crazy thing. The siren was terribly loud.
    Like a kamikaze dive to death with a spiral roll added in for special effects
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    01-13-20 11:03 PM
    No kidding! The sound was freaking annoying!
    01-13-20 11:08 PM
    Maybe buy another one is the best course of action. Really good condition OG's can be found at very good prices on Ebay.
    01-14-20 01:16 PM
    @Haivu1945

The repair for the situation you described sounds like a costly endeavour unless you have spare parts and many disassembled Passports which I doubt. Unfortunately, you may need to look for another purchase of the same item you own.
    01-15-20 05:44 AM
    Titan may improve with software updates as Passport did early on…
    01-15-20 03:13 PM
    This......
    01-15-20 03:19 PM
    Hopefully you all have a robust data backup plan that includes both Link backups as well as separate backups of your data in non-proprietary, non-encrypted formats that can be used directly or imported into other services, because it's far easier to replace a device than to replace the data on the device - especially with encrypted devices and encrypted backups that rely on BB infrastructure to be up and running in order to work.
    saint300 likes this.
    01-15-20 09:59 PM
    Sorry to hear about that. Ebay is your friend here. Find a cheapie, throw in your sim and SD card and rock on. No reason not to continue with the phone you know.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-20 04:57 PM
    Quick (unsolicited and irrelevant) update on the "siren gate". Since the last incident I turned my Passport off and switch back to my KeyOne and forgot about it.
    Today I tried to fire the Passport up and is toast. Only sign of activity is the red led when the device is plugged to the charger but even when it appears to be charging the battery it is stone cold so I don't think is getting any charge.

Opened it up, removed the battery, tried again and nothing.
    01-16-20 07:11 PM
    Quick (unsolicited and irrelevant) update on the "siren gate". Since the last incident I turned my Passport off and switch back to my KeyOne and forgot about it.
    Today I tried to fire the Passport up and is toast. Only sign of activity is the red led when the device is plugged to the charger but even when it appears to be charging the battery it is stone cold so I don't think is getting any charge.

Opened it up, removed the battery, tried again and nothing.
    Mental image formed is a passport burial ceremony with Don’t cry for me Argentina playing in the background...
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    01-16-20 07:50 PM
    Mental image formed is a passport burial ceremony with Don’t cry for me Argentina playing in the background...
    Sad days indeed. The Passport was sleeping in a drawer for about a year. After a few days of use it dies miserably...
    01-16-20 08:05 PM
    Sad days indeed. The Passport was sleeping in a drawer for about a year. After a few days of use it dies miserably...
    So much for BB ltd's/Foxconn's superior QC
    01-16-20 08:42 PM
    Yeah! I las thinking the same. I always have that notion about how BlackBerry devices are dependable devices. But man, they prove me wrong lately. Passport died, my Priv screen flickers under cold weather, my KeyOne has a green vertical line on the display.
    The only device that still works like new is my old Z30.
    01-16-20 08:47 PM
    Yeah! I las thinking the same. I always have that notion about how BlackBerry devices are dependable devices. But man, they prove me wrong lately. Passport died, my Priv screen flickers under cold weather, my KeyOne has a green vertical line on the display.
    The only device that still works like new is my old Z30.
    My Passport is working as well as the first day I bought it 5.5 years ago - go figure!
    01-16-20 08:51 PM
    Did you have a lot of android apps running on it? I am only running a couple of them and WhatsApp is one of them. I can't believe WhatsApp in itself was responsible for your Passport demise. It's one of the few android apps that don't heat up the phone (top right corner).

Of course it could be programmed into WhatsApp to force you into moving to a Droidberry. Preferably a KEY2.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-20 04:43 AM
    Despite having the ART (although obsolete), tinkering with the Passport other than using its native BB10 functionality and relevantBB10 apps may induce issues that can potentially result in intimidating workarounds.
    01-19-20 04:56 AM
    Did you have a lot of android apps running on it? I am only running a couple of them and WhatsApp is one of them. I can't believe WhatsApp in itself was responsible for your Passport demise. It's one of the few android apps that don't heat up the phone (top right corner).

Of course it could be programmed into WhatsApp to force you into moving to a Droidberry. Preferably a KEY2.

Posted via CB10
    Only 2 Android apps: Whatsapp and Firefox. I don't think an app could cause this though.

My Passport heated in the top right corner from day one. And it also had the screen lift issue right out of the box. I bought it from shopblackberry days before they runned out of stock. It was my daily driver for a couple of years and then I moved to a Priv and later to my current Keyone, but I always enjoyed to switch back to the Passport or the Priv for a couple of months. Last time I used the Passport whatsapp was a mess, and when I read that the new Android version worked fine I installed it and the test drive dured less than a week.
    01-19-20 08:56 AM
    ...can potentially result in intimidating workarounds.
    Yeah, like losing your eardrum.
    01-19-20 08:58 AM