So I'm in bed, Passport beside me, and I notice it powering down. Stuck on the ATT screen, I have to click the power button to initiate a reboot.

Weird, I thought, but I let it do its thing. My Passport has been acting up a little bit these past few days, becoming really fritzy while in battery saving mode (almost unusable due to lag or glitchimg).

But now it won't stop bouncing between a lit red light and a BlackBerry logo on the lcd. It's like it can't boot, but it keeps trying. Off, on, off, on. I put it in the empty bath tub in case it catches fire. I don't know what else to do with it, because I can't power it down completely.

I'm still within my one-year warranty, and I still have this Classic that I'm typing on (backup phones are more important than I thought). Luckily I won't lose much data.

Anyone seen this happen before?

ps no water damage or hard drops lately. The performance degradation came out of nowhere.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 11:57 PM
    Just have it serviced for peace of mind. You'll hardly spend for anything since warranty still covers it.
    Good thing you have a back-up phone.

*C5303
    04-09-16 12:48 AM
    Just have it serviced for peace of mind. You'll hardly spend for anything since warranty still covers it.
    Good thing you have a back-up phone.

*C5303
    I will because it's can't boot at all.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-16 06:01 AM
    Best of luck on the repairs. Honestly it sounds like the device might have a software issue due to it not getting past the ATT screen.
    04-10-16 12:25 AM
    Best of luck on the repairs. Honestly it sounds like the device might have a software issue due to it not getting past the ATT screen.
    I'll try to restore the software via BlackBerry Link.

edit: not successful, definitely a hardware defect/issue

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 04-11-16 at 08:45 PM.
    04-11-16 02:01 AM
    Update: BlackBerry is making BH Photo take care of the repair of the phone. Reps were arguing with each other over responsibility. And BlackBerry doesn't have a 1 year warranty that covers hardware. Only software. And it will take 8 to 10 weeks to repair.

What is going on? Can anyone explain this to me?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 08:43 PM
    Update: BlackBerry is making BH Photo take care of the repair of the phone. Reps were arguing with each other over responsibility. And BlackBerry doesn't have a 1 year warranty that covers hardware. Only software. And it will take 8 to 10 weeks to repair.

Posted via CB10
    Wth warranty should be applied for software and hardware, sorry to hear you have bad experience with BlackBerry warranty services
    04-11-16 08:51 PM
    Who doesn't standby their hardware for one year? Is this right?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 09:34 PM
    This might not pertain to you but many have had issues with BlackBerry warranty because they get "new" devices with other flaws in them.

My passport has been great except for some bright spots on the screen. I did not send it in for warranty because I thought I would get back a refurbished model that had a lifted screen or some other issue.

Since yours might be dead, not reason for you not to send back.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 09:37 PM
    Since yours might be dead, not reason for you not to send back.

Posted via CB10
    The only reason I might not send my phone back is that I don't think this should be BH's responsibility. It doesn't seem right to me.

Not to mention that an 8-10 week repair time is ridiculous for a phone purchased last August.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 11:48 PM
    Final Update:

Alright, spoke to BlackBerry two days ago, said I was uncomfortable sending my device to BH Photo. I read the warranty legalese on the phone with the rep and determined that I had a hardware warranty with BlackBerry. For some reason, BlackBerry doesn't agree.

Besides not being comfortable with holding BH responsible (apparently BH would send it to BlackBerry, but who would pay?), I wasn't comfortable just sending out my phone for repair through multiple carriers and warehouses with my information on it. So BlackBerry said they'd escalate, as security is a legitimate concern.

So I heard back from BlackBerry just a few minutes ago. They can't promise that if I sent the phone to them for repair that I wouldn't incur a repair bill.

Basically, I told them that it would be cheaper to just buy a new phone, probably. And that I won't be buying BlackBerry in the future (maybe that's true, maybe not, but regardless, I am extremely disappointed in BlackBerry for choosing not to honor their manufacturer's warranty).

And besides that, a quoted 8-10 weeks to fix the phone? If I didn't have my Classic, I'd need to buy a new phone anyway. Totally unacceptable.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 03:10 PM
    Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear about all this hassle. Judging by your comments, you have every right to be bitter with this experience. I am so happy that I have not had any of those issues with my wife's or mine. Just out of curiosity, what happens when you attach it to your PC via usb. Does anything show up? And I know you used Blackberry Link with no luck, but sometimes the device has trouble "catching" the bootloader when you reinstall the OS. While attached via USB try hard booting the device with the Power button only. Hold it down for about 20 seconds and check for a red led then let go of the power button WHILE you click on an autoloader or BBL for reload. It can be a timing thing. I realize that this is a shot in the dark but you can try it (if you haven't already). I should also add that all of that should be preceeded by a full battery charge if possible.
    04-15-16 03:26 PM
    I gave that a try, but no luck. It literally will only start and restart when filled with power, I was able to get a green light, but not able to work the update/restore.

It's a hardware issue I'm almost certain.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    04-15-16 06:13 PM
    Ugh. I've been having the same problem of getting bounced between Blackberry and my point of purchase. In my case I bought it from Crackberry -- lesson learned, do not buy a phone from this website. I'm six months in and still haven't been able to get my phone fixed.
    04-19-16 05:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Eeek!! I just ordered the Silver Passport from B&H Photo because they have it for $479.00 and free shipping.

I hope my device doesn't have issues. I really want to dump this Priv.

Android is very immature and lacks efficiency.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-21-16 06:16 AM