07-05-14 08:18 PM
82 1234
tools
    This is such a same.

I was really hoping for the symbols to be selectable with the keyboard instead of having to touch the screen. Like on the Q10 where a reference board shows up but you still select the symbol using the hard keys.

Choosing numbers only virtually seems annoying. Now I can't blind type "I'll be there at 10pm" like I can with previous BlackBerrys. Classic for me.

EDIT: Although the ability to flick type on a hard keyboard sounds pretty cool! Why couldn't they just implement this touch sensitivity on the classic BlackBerry keyboard?
    You can both. Only the context bar is always visible. When you hit symbol (the right contect field), pops up a window. You can type on the Keyboard. On the Q10, there is a little letter that reminds us which key to type... it is a bit trricky in the Passport, unless they intend to change that:
    Attachment 280562
    sdiedericks likes this.
    06-25-14 06:52 PM
    it looks like the 4th row is there for any typing and the other blocks come up as demanded ether by the OS ( responding to field type) ofr the user with a swipe up or down on keyboard,

the 4th row has shift and num/sumb select,

I'm sure press and hold will still work and will double tap spacebar to get period-space

looks good to me.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-25-14 06:54 PM
    You can both. Only the context bar is always visible. When you hit symbol (the right contect field), pops up a window. You can type on the Keyboard. On the Q10, there is a little letter that reminds us which key to type... it is a bit trricky in the Passport, unless they intend to change that:
    Attachment 280562
    Actually you're right, I may just be jumping the gun. Although the picture does show the lack of the letter "reminder."

I REALLY hope they just haven't added the reminder yet. Although it looks like the period, comma, question mark etc. are all-virtual, all the time. Which again is a compromise in my opinion.
    06-25-14 07:00 PM
    Okay so those two content keys are basically a virtual Shift (left) and virtual Alt (right). That could work, if you can press and hold that virtual key and then press the appropriate physical key.

That would be the most comparable to the 'regular' keyboard... but it still has me wonder why they would not just add a physical Shift/Alt if you need to use them so much anyway.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    06-25-14 07:08 PM
    Okay so those two content keys are basically a virtual Shift (left) and virtual Alt (right). That could work, if you can press and hold that virtual key and then press the appropriate physical key.

That would be the most comparable to the 'regular' keyboard... but it still has me wonder why they would not just add a physical Shift/Alt if you need to use them so much anyway.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    Don't know... "simply" design... or "innovation"... the obvious thing, they really thought about it.. by making alt, shift,zero,symbol,shift-Keyrow disappear, they put the shift and sym keys on the screen, the zero left to the one/w, had to bring # a row down, the * a row down (instead of alt)... then, the gained space (by pushing V and B apart), they deserved it for the space bar... I am sure they had plenty of ideas, brainstorming, staff-meeting and discussions, if not really hard decision time. I am sure we have their best result here and we must be a bit flexible/tolerant... who knows what parameters they had to consider and the stress they went through!

@MarsupilamiX: "we"=Fans/Crackberry-users, "they"=BlackBerry ingeneering, drawers, programmers, team, etc., CEO. ;-)

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    06-25-14 07:20 PM
    You have no idea of how many otherwise good products have been ruined by the choices made by design teams (appearance). Do you?
    06-25-14 07:24 PM
    Well I can wait for the actual videos of this phone before making my final decision (and the price, lol). At the moment these images have me changing my mind back and forth faster than I thought possible.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    dejanh likes this.
    06-25-14 07:28 PM
    Typing numbers won't be fun I guess. The huge virtual keyboard made think about this device again. They could have just squeezed a shift or alt key in the physical keyboard and still keep the capacitive keys with gestures.
    cfoxx likes this.
    06-25-14 07:55 PM
    ...sigh

i kinda just wish they included the fourth row, left in the shift and alt keys and called it a day.. the implementation just seems less and less plausible the more i think about it.. for instance my passwords use a lot of numbers, swipe - look - press --> swipe - look - press ---> repeat over and over and over
    cfoxx and greenberry666 like this.
    06-25-14 08:24 PM
    Feel this is all backwards.

Why not just have a Q10 keyboard that has touch sensitive trackpad, that would be so awesome.

Also just have the suggestions on screen a slim bar on top and swipe up on keyboard.

Hope it aint like the pics, otherwise a lot will go classic way or wait for a all touch.
    What's the point of a big screen when half covered with symbols?

Mr A Hanif BlackBerry10
    cfoxx likes this.
    06-25-14 08:38 PM
    Ive been practising typing on my Q10 and tapping the lowest section of the touch screen replicating how I would be interacting with the passport. Its not as awkward as I would have imagined other than exerting enough pressure to actually press a physical key on the KB and then seamlessly light tapping on the touch screen where I would be hitting a symbol... and then going for the enter button to actually send my "pretend" message.
    06-25-14 08:52 PM
    Seems fine to me. Looks like a single contextual based row is displayed while typing, with the word suggestions above it. And, you can bring up more numbers and symbols using the toggle on the right, where an additional 3 rows will be displayed. It then further looks like those three rows correspond to the three rows of physical keys. Notice the space in the middle of them. Perhaps the swipe down gesture will work on the physical keyboard, like the Z10 and Z30, to toggle the numbers and symbols. Thus, I can only deduce that it looks like it would be quite possible to type on it without ever touching the screen. Sure, there's contextual keys suggested to you, but not necessary. And, the period is on the screen, but also not necessary. And, it appears you can swipe up on the physical keyboard to invoke the word suggestions.

No screen touchy necessary, and only a single row blocking the screen except for the odd time. Seems fine to me.
    Thunderbuck and dejanh like this.
    06-25-14 10:45 PM
    The onscreen keyboard:

Passport contextual keyboard-1403754869723_819112.png

... & the contextual, dynamic row:

Passport contextual keyboard-1403754895446_819112.png

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-25-14 11:00 PM
    What happened to the "P" that should be next to the "=" symbol? This makes it look like all the symbols we need do fit on a keyboard-layout, so that is positive.
    Still in doubt about the contextual row though, seems more and more like those symbols will always require using the touch screen (difficult when typing blind), because they do not show on the extended symbol list at all.

It is gonna take a lot of effort to learn this KB too, the symbols are all switched around compared to the Q-devices. But I do not mind a bit of challenge in new devices.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    06-26-14 12:26 AM
    The more I see the more I like.

The Z30 is a fantastic all-touch device, and I was waiting for a high-end all-touch replacement. Gotta say, though, this is something genuinely new, and different, and VERY distinctive.

It will make a massive statement.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    06-26-14 12:57 AM
    Seems fine to me. Looks like a single contextual based row is displayed while typing, with the word suggestions above it. And, you can bring up more numbers and symbols using the toggle on the right, where an additional 3 rows will be displayed. It then further looks like those three rows correspond to the three rows of physical keys. Notice the space in the middle of them. Perhaps the swipe down gesture will work on the physical keyboard, like the Z10 and Z30, to toggle the numbers and symbols. Thus, I can only deduce that it looks like it would be quite possible to type on it without ever touching the screen. Sure, there's contextual keys suggested to you, but not necessary. And, the period is on the screen, but also not necessary. And, it appears you can swipe up on the physical keyboard to invoke the word suggestions.

No screen touchy necessary, and only a single row blocking the screen except for the odd time. Seems fine to me.
    This is exactly what I'm thinking is at play here.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-26-14 01:24 AM
    Passport contextual keyboard-blackberry-passport-r.jpg

Did any one notice Bend icon ???
    06-26-14 04:35 AM
    Not sure why a big virtual keyboard has to pop up to remind you which physical key to press to get a certain number or symbol. All that glancing up and down ....Why didn't they just put the freaking reminders on the physical keyboard itself? They could even bang 2 lights under it: keyboard glows white when letters are activated. Keyboard glows red when symbols/numbers are activated.
    06-26-14 05:15 AM
    Not sure why a big virtual keyboard has to pop up to remind you which physical key to press to get a certain number or symbol. All that glancing up and down ....Why didn't they just put the freaking reminders on the physical keyboard itself? They could even bang 2 lights under it: keyboard glows white when letters are activated. Keyboard glows red when symbols/numbers are activated.
    No, because then you'd have to remember which values the key had with which lights.

I used to use a Q10, which does the same thing for symbols. It's not so bad.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    06-26-14 09:38 AM
    It's obvious that they're trying to innovate, with a new way of utilizing a keyboard. Perhaps it's not meant to be faster or "better ". Are virtual keyboards better or faster than a BlackBerry qwerty? The majority of users seem to type fine with their iOS and android phones.

Keep in mind there's an entire generation of users that have never even used a qwerty device before - to them, this new blend of physical and virtual might be a refreshing experience.

Also, this phone clearly wasn't meant for the same types that b*tiched and complained about the trackpad, if you use your phone such that it requires the classic qwerty, you have the classic and the q10/5. So if you're all b**hurt over the new keyboard, chances are it's not the phone for you and your uses to begin with.

If however, you're in an industry where the passport may be of benefit, I'm sure they'll get used to this new way of typing and find the phone more useful than a tablet.

Posted via CB10
    jsong24 likes this.
    06-26-14 09:55 AM
    It's obvious that they're trying to innovate, with a new way of utilizing a keyboard. Perhaps it's not meant to be faster or "better ". Are virtual keyboards better or faster than a BlackBerry qwerty? The majority of users seem to type fine with their iOS and android phones.

Keep in mind there's an entire generation of users that have never even used a qwerty device before - to them, this new blend of physical and virtual might be a refreshing experience.

Also, this phone clearly wasn't meant for the same types that b*tiched and complained about the trackpad, if you use your phone such that it requires the classic qwerty, you have the classic and the q10/5. So if you're all b**hurt over the new keyboard, chances are it's not the phone for you and your uses to begin with.

If however, you're in an industry where the passport may be of benefit, I'm sure they'll get used to this new way of typing and find the phone more useful than a tablet.
    Hear Hear!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 11:58 AM
    I

Posted via CB10
    Exactly

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    06-26-14 12:20 PM
    Why didn't they just put the freaking reminders on the physical keyboard itself? They could even bang 2 lights under it: keyboard glows white when letters are activated. Keyboard glows red when symbols/numbers are activated.
    That's what I was hoping they'd do but it makes too much sense

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 12:34 PM
    Who ever talked about trackpad in this thread? Or any other related thread?
    The only thing people are lamenting is the keyboard, not the fantastic capacitive functions and gestures.

The only question none still answered is: why couldn't they put a full qwerty keyboard?
    06-26-14 02:50 PM
    Who ever talked about trackpad in this thread? Or any other related thread?
    The only thing people are lamenting is the keyboard, not the fantastic capacitive functions and gestures.

The only question none still answered is: why couldn't they put a full qwerty keyboard?
    I'm drawing a parallel b/w all the complaints over the tool belt to the one we're seeing here - boohoo, they've introduced a new typing experience, get over it.

Same sh*t as before, "why couldn't they have put a track pad, it's more accurate bla bla bla" - there are plenty of q10 users who got by just fine.

They could have put a full qwerty, but they didn't - they've elegantly combined the best experiences of both their well loved keyboards. I'm going to love being able to swipe down and flick up, in addition to having the tactile feedback. I'll adapt and get used to the passport way of typing.

This phone IS NOT meant to be BETTER than a traditional qwerty, isn't that obvious? It's meant to be innovative and yet still efficient way of typing. This new keyboard will still be miles ahead of any virtual keyboard out there.

If you're looking for a traditional qwerty, like I've said before - they got you covered with the classic so you can rock the 2011 look.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 03:24 PM
82 1234