They could have put a full qwerty, but they didn't - they've elegantly combined the best experiences of both their well loved keyboards. I'm going to love being able to swipe down and flick up, in addition to having the tactile feedback. I'll adapt and get used to the passport way of typing.
    I want it too, I bet I want it way more than you since I thought of it a lot of time ago.
    But that doesn't mean anyone should get compromises, especially when there is no reason to exists.

This phone IS NOT meant to be BETTER than a traditional qwerty, isn't that obvious? It's meant to be innovative and yet still efficient way of typing. This new keyboard will still be miles ahead of any virtual keyboard out there.
    Then what is its place?
    Whoever doesn't want a keyboard won't look at it, they are fine without their keys and gestures, and word prediction works better.
    Whoever want a keyboard for his efficiency, it's a let down.

If you're looking for a traditional qwerty, like I've said before - they got you covered with the classic so you can rock the 2011 look.
    AND WHO, just WHO is looking for a traditional qwerty?
    The point is about a full qwerty, functional and all, with added features.
    06-26-14 03:34 PM
    For people who've only ever known virtual keyboards and want to try a physical keyboard, I'm sure this will be an upgrade and not a let down.

So you want a full qwerty pkb, plus gestures right? Basically you'd be using it to scroll and as a trackpad and...that's it? Great utilization of this new technology.

What's the big deal?

The symbols and numbers are all mapped to the pkb, so you don't have to keep tapping the screen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is exactly how it works on the Q devices now.

The most commonly and likely used extra keys will be the contextual 4th row, easily reachable by hand. No need to press alt and then the key, the commas, periods, and apostrophe will appear as needed. Amazing!

Any and all keyboards out there now, take up half the screen.

When you are typing, as I am now in CB, screen real estate is a non issue.

This thing is going to be amazing and all the whiners are going to be missing out.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 03:46 PM
    The more I see the more I like.

The Z30 is a fantastic all-touch device, and I was waiting for a high-end all-touch replacement. Gotta say, though, this is something genuinely new, and different, and VERY distinctive.

It will make a massive statement.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    My thinking exactly.

I love my Z30, and was also looking forward to the next all-touch upgrade. Primarily for the large screen benefits. I have a Q10 through work, and it rarely gets used... because like many, I have come to like the extra screen real estate.

If the passport does in fact run 16:9 apps on its large screen - I've been thrown a curve ball I didn't expect.

I have grown to enjoy the virtual keyboard benefits of flick typing and gesture base erasing, and it's awesome that the passport's keyboard incorporates these.

What really pulls me in closer is that granular cursor control - with the keyboard acting as a trackpad. I don't need it for text selection, but it is very much welcomed. It will also be extremely useful for remote desktop... on the go.

Sadly though, if I try it out & like it - I'd need to sell the Z30 to help fund the purchase.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-26-14 08:08 PM
    People in business are sometime old and have bad sight. Cramming the symbols in the keyboard had a repulsive effect on some
    Saying: " What! The plus symbol is there!!?? It's so tiny"

Showing the symbols on the screen makes sense in that regard and even if it may not be an evolution it's at least an adaptation to a aging market.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 09:14 AM
    People in business are sometime old and have bad sight. Cramming the symbols in the keyboard had a repulsive effect on some
    Saying: " What! The plus symbol is there!!?? It's so tiny"

Showing the symbols on the screen makes sense in that regard and even if it may not be an evolution it's at least an adaptation to a aging market.
    But the keys are bigger then ever... and you can still show them on screen if you press SYM double on current devices.
    On Passport, you would tap the virtual "more symbols" button.
    06-27-14 10:21 AM
    But the keys are bigger then ever... and you can still show them on screen if you press SYM double on current devices.
    On Passport, you would tap the virtual "more symbols" button.
    If it will work the same as the BB10 virtual keyboard, then NO you do not need to press the virtual "more symbols"... you just swipe down on the keyboard again.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 10:44 AM
    If it will work the same as the BB10 virtual keyboard, then NO you do not need to press the virtual "more symbols"... you just swipe down on the keyboard again.
    I'd prefer that double swipe returns to alphabet mode...
    But it's an option, it's not the end of the world.
    06-27-14 12:24 PM
    I'd prefer that double swipe returns to alphabet mode...
    But it's an option, it's not the end of the world.
    The virtual keyboard works a bit different such that if you swipe down and press the punctuation, the keyboard will return to the qwerty. In order for it to stay in the symbols/numbers, you would press the "?123" key and then you can type all the symbols or numbers that you want without going back immediately to the qwerty.

Not sure how it'll be implemented on the Passport, though... if it will be the same as the Z10/Z30 such that you swipe down, press KB equivalent of the on-screen symbol and then it'll disappear. OR you swipe down, press KB equivalent and then stays.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 01:10 PM
    That stuff will pop up for a moment and then be gone. I don't get where it's so bad myself.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 01:13 PM
    Swipe once for number and first symbols

Swipe again gets other symbols

Swipe again takes you back to letters

So from numbers back to letters is two swipes or press letters key.

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-27-14 01:27 PM
    the more I learn the more I like ..
    Jiggy1971 likes this.
    06-27-14 01:40 PM
    Ideal situation would have been full LCD screen with capacitive clear hardware keys on top of it that change their displayed values.
    06-27-14 05:50 PM
    You'll probably be surprised how much time you can save by flicking the words. There is always a space after the words.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 12:50 AM
    You'll probably be surprised how much time you can save by flicking the words. There is always a space after the words.

Posted via CB10
    I got a Q10 last summer and quickly found myself missing the "flick" gesture. The BB10 virtual keyboard is truly great.

If anything, flicking will work even better with the Passport. Sometimes there can be multiple word suggestions on the Z30 keyboard, and when I go to flick I'll get the wrong one. On the Passport there will only be 3 choices, with a flick on the left 3rd, the middle 3rd, or the right 3rd. Should be easy to pick the choice you want.
    06-28-14 12:55 AM
    I'm drawing a parallel b/w all the complaints over the tool belt to the one we're seeing here - boohoo, they've introduced a new typing experience, get over it.

Same sh*t as before, "why couldn't they have put a track pad, it's more accurate bla bla bla" - there are plenty of q10 users who got by just fine.

They could have put a full qwerty, but they didn't - they've elegantly combined the best experiences of both their well loved keyboards. I'm going to love being able to swipe down and flick up, in addition to having the tactile feedback. I'll adapt and get used to the passport way of typing.

This phone IS NOT meant to be BETTER than a traditional qwerty, isn't that obvious? It's meant to be innovative and yet still efficient way of typing. This new keyboard will still be miles ahead of any virtual keyboard out there.

If you're looking for a traditional qwerty, like I've said before - they got you covered with the classic so you can rock the 2011 look.

Posted via CB10
    Same sh!t as before because they (BlackBerry) make the same sh!tty mistakes lol

I guess... that's why they went back on themselves and reintroduced the trackpad whilst people like you said everything is fine it's not needed?

Remember that "sh!t" OS7? It was outselling BB10, it's no wonder they brought back the classic to help save the company from further decline, whats it got, a trackpad, whats the Passport got? New innovative trackpad!

^ so much for not needing to address the lackluster trackpad on BB10 as "everything is fine" that they've Infact to some extent actually innovated.

I'm pretty sure they'll go back on themselves AGAIN on the Passport keyboard regarding no alt key as they did with the trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 03:19 AM
    And it will be good.
    Because the Q10, even if it works without the trackpad, is still a huge let down for text editing. Don't deny it!
    And the Passport, even if it has a trackpad, is a huge let down for punctuation.
    06-28-14 03:30 AM
    The majority of users seem to type fine with their iOS and android phones.
    No they don't. They think they do but they clearly don't. It's just that they accept it and are satisfied with the typing experience, because most of them don't know any better. Evidence for this is chat behavior. Mostly you get nothing more than one line of text, mostly with wrong or even completely missing punctuation. Android and iOS chat far less than BlackBerry keyboard users, just my experience.
    06-28-14 04:05 AM
    OS7 is outselling OS10 because it's CHEAPER, that is the sole, only reason.
    06-28-14 04:33 AM
    I found new Q10 for 259 €... It's not so cheap.
    06-28-14 04:39 AM
    At the last earnings report weeks ago... BlackBerry CEO John Chen announced that for the first time, BlackBerry 10 devices are now outselling the legacy BlackBerry OS7 devices. This amounts to 2.6 million devices sold and a majority of them, 65% of sales, were BlackBerry 10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 07:42 AM
    Honestly, this is brilliant. When I moved to a Q10 last year I quickly found myself missing "flick" typing. This is a spectacular compromise.

The more I see, the more I like :-)

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    That's exactly why I returned to Z10 after brief use of Q10 as a replacement phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 06:57 PM
    At the last earnings report weeks ago... BlackBerry CEO John Chen announced that for the first time, BlackBerry 10 devices are now outselling the legacy BlackBerry OS7 devices. This amounts to 2.6 million devices sold and a majority of them, 65% of sales, were BlackBerry 10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    The question is either they sold more 10s or less 7s

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 07:01 PM
    I got a Q10 last summer and quickly found myself missing the "flick" gesture. The BB10 virtual keyboard is truly great.

If anything, flicking will work even better with the Passport. Sometimes there can be multiple word suggestions on the Z30 keyboard, and when I go to flick I'll get the wrong one. On the Passport there will only be 3 choices, with a flick on the left 3rd, the middle 3rd, or the right 3rd. Should be easy to pick the choice you want.
    Yeah, flicking makes more sense on the Passport. I only flick on my Z10 while typing one handed, because my eyes have to hop from letter to letter to see if the suggestion is what I want. I never flick 98% of the time, which is when I am using it with both hands. On the Passport I would be able to keep my eyes fixed on the screen and flicking would be a viable option.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-01-14 07:48 PM
    No they don't. They think they do but they clearly don't. It's just that they accept it and are satisfied with the typing experience, because most of them don't know any better. Evidence for this is chat behavior. Mostly you get nothing more than one line of text, mostly with wrong or even completely missing punctuation. Android and iOS chat far less than BlackBerry keyboard users, just my experience.
    +1

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    07-01-14 08:55 PM
    The question is either they sold more 10s or less 7s

Posted via CB10
    They sold more 10's & less 7's... yes.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 10:46 PM
82 1234