From N4BB it looks like the symbols and numbers appear on the screen. Now to me this takes away the advantage of the large screen, unless I'm missing something here. I think if they implemented this correctly the passport's keyboard could be a huge hit.

BlackBerry Passport Contextual Virtual Keys Look Like This | N4BB

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-25-14 04:25 PM
    Bummer. Was not wanting a virtual keyboard and wow does it take up a lot of space. I dont want to use virtual for numbers??? Looks I may be going Classic route....

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    06-25-14 04:47 PM
    I can't imagine it is going to be implemented like that... if it is... no passport for me... it looks hideous IMO.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    06-25-14 04:51 PM
    Yuk! I was looking forward to this until now! I hope this is not true, doesn't seem "revolutionary " to me.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 05:00 PM
    That row will only appear in "text entry" mode. IOW, when the cursor is inside a text field.

The rest of the time it won't be there.

ETA--In other news, I notice that the three recommended words are spaced fairly widely apart. This suggests to me that if you swipe up in the left third of the kb you'll get "I", somewhere around the middle you'll get "hey", and in the right third "the".

If they can find a way to incorporate swipe-up WITH a physical keyboard, that's freakin INSANE!
    yasmar, Nemzy, Shadowyugi and 2 others like this.
    06-25-14 05:05 PM
    This is how I imagined it implemented. Seems like the virtual keys have corresponding physical keys that you don't actually need to press on the screen (except for the "contextual" row).

Posted via CB10
    greenberry666, anischab and klobb like this.
    06-25-14 05:11 PM
    This is how I imagined it implemented. Seems like the virtual keys have corresponding physical keys that you don't actually need to press on the screen (except for the "contextual" row).

Posted via CB10
    If it's as you describe then I may well like it
    06-25-14 05:20 PM
    I just want to be able to get the device into my hands and see for myself. I already have the money set aside for one.
    Sent from my lovey z30 on T Mobile USA
    06-25-14 05:28 PM
    If it's as you describe then I may well like it
    They made claims that you don't have to smudge your phone's screen. It wouldn't make sense if the phone keeps popping up the virtual keyboard and the only way is to press the screen.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 05:36 PM
    They made claims that you don't have to smudge your phone's screen. It wouldn't make sense if the phone keeps popping up the virtual keyboard and the only way is to press the screen.

Posted via CB10
    If this is the case and the "virtual keyboard" is just a reminder of where the symbols are located on the physical keyboard then I think (after a small learning curve) it will be a better implementation than the Shift press/key press of legacy devices. Swipe/press. Simple
    06-25-14 05:45 PM
    I can't make out what's along the right side. More symbols? If so, they'd have to be touch, no?

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 05:55 PM
    If this is the case and the "virtual keyboard" is just a reminder of where the symbols are located on the physical keyboard then I think (after a small learning curve) it will be a better implementation than the Shift press/key press of legacy devices. Swipe/press. Simple
    Then why wasting my screen estate with useless punctuation?
    They could just print them on the keys!
    06-25-14 05:56 PM
    The virtual symbols keyboard is obviously the same one as in Q10. You can press the corresponding physical keys or the virtual ones when you pop it up.

Not sure why everyone in this thread is going crazy. This is a very sane and logical implementation, nothing wrong with it. The new single row with frequently used symbols/relevant actions like text selection is looking awesome, too.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 06:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think we all know that it was a dumb claim for them to make. Best to ignore it.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    06-25-14 06:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Article that was taken down and pics say otherwise

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    06-25-14 06:18 PM
    The virtual symbols keyboard is obviously the same one as in Q10. You can press the corresponding physical keys or the virtual ones when you pop it up.

Not sure why everyone in this thread is going crazy. This is a very sane and logical implementation, nothing wrong with it. The new single row with frequently used symbols/relevant actions like text selection is looking awesome, too.

Posted via CB10
    Too many symbols for the amount of keys on keyboard.

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    06-25-14 06:19 PM
    ...I notice that the three recommended words are spaced fairly widely apart. This suggests to me that if you swipe up in the left third of the kb you'll get "I", somewhere around the middle you'll get "hey", and in the right third "the".

If they can find a way to incorporate swipe-up WITH a physical keyboard, that's freakin INSANE!
    That's how it works. N4BB described this earlier this month:

http://n4bb.com/blackberry-windermer...specs-details/

How does the word prediction work? Three columns will appear on the screen as you type. Think of an imaginary line going all the way down through the keyboard. You then can swipe on the left-side, middle, or right-side to pick one of the words out of the three columns.
    Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 06:23 PM
    Too many symbols for the amount of keys on keyboard.

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    Yea and also:

"we have added a dynamic virtual row on-screen that smartly shifts depending on context. So if you're typing a password on-screen, numbers and symbols commonly used in passwords will automatically pop up."

Means that, at least sometimes, we have to touch the virtual keys. The contextual bar isn't activated by the user. It's there while we type, so no use can be made of the physical keys when typing these symbols.
    06-25-14 06:26 PM
    That's how it works. N4BB described this earlier this month:

http://n4bb.com/blackberry-windermer...specs-details/

Posted via CB10
    Honestly, this is brilliant. When I moved to a Q10 last year I quickly found myself missing "flick" typing. This is a spectacular compromise.

The more I see, the more I like :-)

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    06-25-14 06:30 PM
    Since I never used "flicking"... are the flicked words automatically followed by a space? Can one just write a constructive sentence just by flicking? Or ist it: flick, space, flick, space etc.?
    [Just curious, never used a Z, coming from Curve>Bold>Q10]

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    06-25-14 06:35 PM
    Yea and also:

"we have added a dynamic virtual row on-screen that smartly shifts depending on context. So if you're typing a password on-screen, numbers and symbols commonly used in passwords will automatically pop up."

Means that, at least sometimes, we have to touch the virtual keys. The contextual bar isn't activated by the user. It's there while we type, so no use can be made of the physical keys when typing these symbols.
    That means that the most used punctuation mark are never mapped on keys...
    06-25-14 06:41 PM
    Since I never used "flicking"... are the flicked words automatically followed by a space? Can one just write a constructive sentence just by flicking? Or ist it: flick, space, flick, space etc.?
    [Just curious, never used a Z, coming from Curve>Bold>Q10]

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    Yes you can write a whole sentence. You don't have to insert spaces.
    06-25-14 06:42 PM
    This is such a same.

I was really hoping for the symbols to be selectable with the keyboard instead of having to touch the screen. Like on the Q10 where a reference board shows up but you still select the symbol using the hard keys.

Choosing numbers only virtually seems annoying. Now I can't blind type "I'll be there at 10pm" like I can with previous BlackBerrys. Classic for me.

EDIT: Although the ability to flick type on a hard keyboard sounds pretty cool! Why couldn't they just implement this touch sensitivity on the classic BlackBerry keyboard?
    06-25-14 06:43 PM
    I really, REALLY, hope that the virtual keys do not take up this much room. If yes, that is brutal.
    06-25-14 06:48 PM
    So I have a question...

How do you start a phone call?

What I mean is, you can begin typing the number you want on a Q10 (Because it shows numbers to its corresponding letters) and select call and the phone opens phone app and dials out. It's very fast to do it that way.

But with numbers removed...how does one quickly make a call? Do you HAVE to open the phone app? Should be NO touch entry on screen for phone calls. IMO, that's a step back.
    06-25-14 06:49 PM
82 123 ...