I personally wanted a Passport regardless of the option to get all the current apps or not. For me, I needed productivity first and foremost. However, since Cobalt put in all that work for us and since it's now possible to get 95% of the apps from Google's Play Store working on our beloved Passport, I went ahead and followed Cobalt's instructions and pretty easily got everything working.

I now have all my social and financial apps, as well as Google Maps, Netflix and even a couple popular games working just fine on my Passport. And I gotta say, it's incredible that we can have the most productive phone on the market AND all the apps that iOS and Android have.

However, I am curious if my Passport's battery life and speed/fluidity has suffered some since doing it and I'm wondering from the community how many of you opted to 'COBALT' your Passport VS. how many are just content to just have the vanilla BlackBerry experience, and why.

Also, for those who got all the apps you wanted from Google Play Store, have you seen any noticeable lag or poorer battery life since doing so?

Thanks for any input.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 10:56 PM
    I just got my BlackBerry Passport back and can already feel the speed boost with Vanilla experience.

I'm going to try out the Cobalt again and see. Having a wiped off phone always is smoother. Battery life depends on what you download.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-16 05:10 AM
    Vanilla bean on the scene.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-16 07:02 AM
    My att / Snap Passport will suffer a battery drain every month or two without a reboot every few days. My new SE without PLaystore or Snap has not warmed up or wanted to battery drain. Something with Snap and the Playstore is causing these battery drains. I also noticed a small improvement in overall battery life.

That said its not that big of a deal and its rare. Im just answering the question and posting that there is a difference with the battery without those two services. I am also happy to use the mobile sites or either do without a certain droid app that is not in Amazon. Oh and I only loaded the Play store as an experiment that didn't last long on the att version.
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    07-17-16 03:12 PM
    Not much of a drain here. You can have a look at device monitor, which andro apps hogging your cpu resources

Posted via CB10
    07-17-16 06:47 PM
    There is no doubt that if you load your phone up with a bunch of Android Apps that your "performance" will suffer.

That said, in most case.... more apps means a better user experience. And that is what a smartphone is all about.
    07-18-16 07:00 AM
    There is no doubt that if you load your phone up with a bunch of Android Apps that your "performance" will suffer.

That said, in most case.... more apps means a better user experience. And that is what a smartphone is all about.
    Would please...................again with logic and facts............................................. .........REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    07-18-16 07:25 AM
    Would please...................again with logic and facts............................................. .........REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Some Android apps are notorious for battery drain. For example: Facebook. Need I go on?
    07-18-16 07:31 AM
    Some Android apps are notorious for battery drain. For example: Facebook. Need I go on?

You as well...............just stop with facts.................this is Crackberry...................WOOOF!............... ............LOL
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    07-18-16 07:35 AM
    Lol
    07-18-16 07:40 AM
    I have the black passport I purchased from blackberry meaning I do not have a lot of carrier bloat wear. I had snap until it stopped working. Currently I use cobalt amazon and of course BlackBerry store. I have not noticed any battery change.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 08:04 AM
    I deleted the app store and only use the amazon store if I need anything else I bookmark the Internet version of the app I need. My bank is not on amazon so I have a screen bookmark which works great with the screen real estate we have.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 08:15 AM
    I downloaded Cobalts edition...is they're an update for Google Play Store...I am using it on my AT&T BB Passport.

The issue I'm running into is the search bar. "When typing in the search for an app, it says "Google Play Services has stopped working" and closes on me.

Let me know if you have any tips.

Thank you
    08-03-16 02:17 PM
    I downloaded Cobalts edition...is they're an update for Google Play Store...I am using it on my AT&T BB Passport.

The issue I'm running into is the search bar. "When typing in the search for an app, it says "Google Play Services has stopped working" and closes on me.

Let me know if you have any tips.

Thank you
    If you downloaded Cobalt's Play store then you know where to find you answer.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-16 02:36 PM
    The Device Monitor doesnt tell the whole story like I wish it would. At least not in my case and the retired att Passport. I wish we had a more specific alert about what or which app is causing the battery drains on a device that has many droid apps and using google play store. Is it possible to throw Detek onto a Passport soon?
    arkenoi likes this.
    08-03-16 08:12 PM
    I'm very grateful for Cobalt's effort, there are specific android apps that mess with battery life and heat, I just reinstalled Kindle from the amazon app store again and it's heating up, again, I'll give it a little time to see if things settle; then if you don't have access to a windows computer and can't patch apps that require google services you are dependent on other people's good will, and any possible security issues.

Someone attempted to login to the google account I use with my Passport, google stopped it and I changed the password but it might just be related to something I installed on the phone. Not nice when one of Blackberry's selling points is security!
    08-04-16 01:05 PM
    If you downloaded Cobalt's Play store then you know where to find you answer.

Posted via CB10
    Never found it.
    09-07-16 12:15 PM
    I hate the battery drain and lack of diagnostics (it just says it is "system" and no one knows which app sucks big time), but there is no other way around, I have vital android apps and I cannot live without it.
    09-07-16 04:19 PM