All right guys, as some of you have read...I'm having a very rough time trying to decide between the Classic and Passport.

I preordered the Classic and also ordered one from Amazon and used it since Dec 23. The Classic was/is great device and I felt right at home on the keyboard. One handed operation is a breeze and 10.3 runs smooth and the Android apps run smoothly. Battery life is great, I averaged about a day and a half per battery charge which is a lot better than I had expected? Screen was also great and typing emails and texting was awesome, I could literally fly thru emails and texts with zero errors. The very clicky keyboard would actually bother my wife sometimes since I would just click away lol! Overall it was everything I expected and I had no disappointments at all.

During my Classic fiasco with Digital River I ended up buying a Passport from Amazon as well that was originally going to be my tablet for home use. Once the Passport came, I used it at home while I was test driving the Classic and it stayed at home until I felt that I mastered the Classic.

Once the Classic testing was done, I decided to pop my sim card into the air Passport and give it a test as well just for fun? Boy was that a mistake!!

The Passport is 100% awesome!!! It's like a powerhouse in your hand! The keyboard is way better than I had originally thought, the camera is awesome (even though I'm not much of a picture guy), screen is big and very sharp, and the battery is amazing! When using the phone, I am very impressed with how snappy it is when using it. It pretty much goes as fast as I can press the buttons. I'm still getting used to the keyboard and love that it's touch sensitive as well as double clicking it for cursor placement (just learned that btw) and the keyboard itself feels solid and it's not as clicky as the Classic which my wife loves when I'm typing in bed!

The overall size of the Passport is a little big for me since I have small hands for a guy, but 2 handed operation is nice and solid. My main phone use time is when I'm driving and I'm simply not able to use the Passport when driving due to its larger size...which may be a good thing? I could drive and use the Classic one handed no problem, which is very dangerous!

And the winner is......the Passport!

In the end the Passport specs, cool innovative keyboard, screen size, battery life, rareness factor (for now lol), etc... far outweighed the not being able to use it one handed feature. Since using the Passport, all of my tablets and netbooks have gone to friends and family and the Passport is the main device that I use all day long with a smile on my face!

This does not mean that I don't like the Classic. The Classic is an awesome phone is even a little more efficient imo than the Passport? At this point, the Passport is just a way better device for my personal needs!

Let us know know if you're in a similar situation? Thanks guys!

Posted from my Spongeberry Passport using CB10
    j21jam6 and Andy_bb_king like this.
    01-09-15 08:55 PM
    You bought the Passport to use as a tablet?
    01-09-15 09:38 PM
    So, do you want to sell me that Classic for $200?
    01-09-15 09:53 PM
    You bought the Passport to use as a tablet?
    Yes. Originally.

01-09-15 10:06 PM
    So, do you want to sell me that Classic for $200?
    Lol no. However, it will be going up for sale soon. Thanks for the offer though.

01-09-15 10:06 PM
    I already knew the answer a few days ago
    Lefty724 likes this.
    01-09-15 10:14 PM
    So did I. I just wanted to give the Classic one more chance...

I know this is the right choice for me right now.

01-09-15 10:50 PM
    Hey congrats on that. My biggest gripe on the passport is the size of it, because I too have small hand (thumb only stretches up until "S" button) but that just it. Here there's no option to test drive devices so I've made a mock-up of the passport and still experimenting how I can utilize a one handed use when I finally got the real one.

"When life gives you Blackberries... keep moving b*tch!"
    Lefty724 likes this.
    01-09-15 11:02 PM
    Yes. Originally.

That's interesting. Why wouldn't you spend all that money on a real tablet? I have the Passport but couldn't imagine using it as only my tablet. It's big, but not that big, to me at least.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 11:03 PM
    I already knew the answer a few days ago
    Ditto
    It was plainly obvious after following your other thread.

Have fun with the Passport

Posted two-handed via Passport
    Lefty724 likes this.
    01-09-15 11:09 PM
    That's interesting. Why wouldn't you spend all that money on a real tablet? I have the Passport but couldn't imagine using it as only my tablet. It's big, but not that big, to me at least.

Posted via CB10
    I already have a couple of ipads already? Since using the Passport, all of my tablets and netbooks have gone to family and friends.

I just wanted to be BlackBerry all the way while the rest of the house is Apple?

And yes, the Passport has taken over all of my tablet duties. It's not too small or too big....its just right.

That's another big reason I chose the Passport, it can take on many different duties for me and be the 1 device I carry...

01-09-15 11:23 PM
    Where do you live that using a phone while driving isn't ILLEGAL!!?? I use my Passport at lights only.
    01-10-15 01:26 AM
    Using BlackBerry assistant while driving... hands free.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 01:36 AM
    All right guys, as some of you have read...I'm having a very rough time trying to decide between the Classic and Passport.

I preordered the Classic and also ordered one from Amazon and used it since Dec 23. The Classic was/is great device and I felt right at home on the keyboard. One handed operation is a breeze and 10.3 runs smooth and the Android apps run smoothly. Battery life is great, I averaged about a day and a half per battery charge which is a lot better than I had expected? Screen was also great and typing emails and texting was awesome, I could literally fly thru emails and texts with zero errors. The very clicky keyboard would actually bother my wife sometimes since I would just click away lol! Overall it was everything I expected and I had no disappointments at all.

During my Classic fiasco with Digital River I ended up buying a Passport from Amazon as well that was originally going to be my tablet for home use. Once the Passport came, I used it at home while I was test driving the Classic and it stayed at home until I felt that I mastered the Classic.

Once the Classic testing was done, I decided to pop my sim card into the air Passport and give it a test as well just for fun? Boy was that a mistake!!

The Passport is 100% awesome!!! It's like a powerhouse in your hand! The keyboard is way better than I had originally thought, the camera is awesome (even though I'm not much of a picture guy), screen is big and very sharp, and the battery is amazing! When using the phone, I am very impressed with how snappy it is when using it. It pretty much goes as fast as I can press the buttons. I'm still getting used to the keyboard and love that it's touch sensitive as well as double clicking it for cursor placement (just learned that btw) and the keyboard itself feels solid and it's not as clicky as the Classic which my wife loves when I'm typing in bed!

The overall size of the Passport is a little big for me since I have small hands for a guy, but 2 handed operation is nice and solid. My main phone use time is when I'm driving and I'm simply not able to use the Passport when driving due to its larger size...which may be a good thing? I could drive and use the Classic one handed no problem, which is very dangerous!

And the winner is......the Passport!

In the end the Passport specs, cool innovative keyboard, screen size, battery life, rareness factor (for now lol), etc... far outweighed the not being able to use it one handed feature. Since using the Passport, all of my tablets and netbooks have gone to friends and family and the Passport is the main device that I use all day long with a smile on my face!

This does not mean that I don't like the Classic. The Classic is an awesome phone is even a little more efficient imo than the Passport? At this point, the Passport is just a way better device for my personal needs!

My thoughts on the Passport is while it is a great phone to use I think I'm going to get rid of it as soon as it comes back from repair (3rd time for the same sim card reader problem). 3 Passports in just over 2 months with the same issue is in my mind too much of a coincidence. That, and fact it has one of the worst cameras I have ever used on any Blackberry (The only time it takes great pics is when there is lots of light and nothing is moving but in low light and if there is even the slightest movement the is a piece of crap - all you get are blurred shots).

Add that to the typing lag on web sites and it's enough for me to give up the big beautiful screen and stick with the Classic. IMO, the Classic with only a 8MP camera and no OIS takes better pictures than the PP LOL and in real life usage I don't find the Classic that much slower than the PP. Hopefully, the PP2 will be better and if it is I will have another look at it.
    01-10-15 02:05 AM
    It is illegal to even hold your phone while you're behind the wheel in BC
    01-10-15 02:08 AM

I am indeed in a similar situation, however for me it is the other way around.

Originally I planned getting the Classic. However once I heard it was delayed by more than two months, I checked more and more videos and hands-on reports regarding the Passport, even watched the event and consumed several reviews afterwards. I quickly decided I disregarded the Passport too early and indeed I should not only give it a chance but thought it might just be *the* device for me.
    Now, about two and a half months later, I am sitting here and eagerly waiting for UPS to drop my BlackBerry Classic which I ordered yesterday.

The Passport is a great phone for sure, the screen estate, the battery life, the build quality (once you actually get a good unit *cough*), did I mention the battery life? However the number one reason "downgrading" to the Classic is in fact the keyboard. I work quite a lot with special characters and numbers, also company internal terms which require a lot of capitalisation, this is where the keyboard unfortunatly let me down. The virtual shift button is awkward, rarely it happens I touch it and nothing happens, I have to try again. More otften it happens I need to keep my thumb on it for a brief secons - too long for my workflow. Then, similar annoying, I seem to type too fast and two letters and once get the capital treatment. Problems like that never appeared on a single physical QWERTY I ever owned. Also jumping back and forth for numbers and special characters can be rather annoying, maybe I just can't adjust my workflow enough so it fits the Passport.
    Besides the capacitive feature is awesome, I flick words more and more often, it really helps, especially in casual conversations. The downside however is the keyboard tends to sometimes act up when it is cold outside, rarely even inside when cursor mode activates in its own or it swipes back to delete a word - even though I didn't perform the gesture at all. Maybe my unit is a bit faulty?

I don't know, yet after reading from a couple of sources who used both Passport and Classic how the Classic's keyboard indeed feels better than the Passport's, I decided to drop the fancy and innovative touch QWERTY in favour for the traditional four-row keyboard. I do miss the dual shift-keys, the dedicated alt-key and last but not least I guess the more compact keyboard allows for shorter travel times of your thumbs - leading to faster typing. Size is another small matter which didn't turned out the way I hoped, in the end I find it too troublesome when I am on the go, at least more often than I originally thought.

I already know I am going to miss the screen estate, during breaks at work and also quite often at home on the couch, I use my phone a lot to browse the web. The screen estate of the Passport really spoiled me there, this and the impressive battery performance will already be missed for sure. After all though, I mouch more like to create (thus write) content than consume content, which is the reason the switch will work for me.

Finally, I agree with you last statement. Everyone should choose the right phone for their very own needs. I can see the Passport will work for a lot of people and I guess it might be the better choice for many folks out there. Yet the Classic does have its place, it is for the BlackBerry die-hards BB designed it for, people who want a more compact (even though the Classic isn't that compact at all!) workhorses which offer full control with full physical keys.
    01-10-15 02:49 AM
    Now I have to ask...did you just type all that on the classic keyboard?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Coach101; 01-10-15 at 07:18 AM.
    01-10-15 06:42 AM
    Now I have to ask...did you just type all that on the classic keyboard?

Posted via CB10
    No, actually I wrote that on the mechanical keyboard of my desktop computer

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 07:30 AM
    Hey Lefty I hope you made the right choice. Some guys on here have sent it back, only to realize it's too awesome so they bought it again! Haha!

Posted from my Square Monstrosity!
    01-10-15 07:31 AM
    Yes. It's illegal to use your phone anytime you're driving here. Unfortunately, this is also the only time I can communicate with customers and vendors, so I have to pick my moments. My work van is my "office" so this is a must...sorry. By picking the Passport, this will force me to wait until the next stop, pull over, and always make me wear my bluetooth headset which is all a good thing.

The Passport's keyboard is a real challenge that I welcome since it's fun for me to learn new things. I feel that I have mastered the Classics keyboard already. The virtual numbers and punctuation on the Passport are a little tricky and inaccurate at the moment, but will get better over time I hope. Not having to push the alt key is actually kind of nice right now.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 07:35 AM
    Hey Lefty I hope you made the right choice. Some guys on here have sent it back, only to realize it's too awesome so they bought it again! Haha!

I think I have made the right choice. I've sold so many phones then re-bought them because I missed a certain feature here and there. I'm trying to get away from that lol.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 07:38 AM
    I think I have made the right choice. I've sold so many phones then re-bought them because I missed a certain feature here and there. I'm trying to get away from that lol.

Posted via CB10
    Hehehe can't wait for the thread about re-buying it ;D

01-10-15 07:40 AM
    Passport fits great in my Smoothtalker hands-free kit. Add in BlackBerry Assistant and a Plantronics Voyager and I am just as productive while I am on the road. The Smoothtalker keeps the Passport charged up and gets me the outside antenna so my reception is always better than sticking a phone in the cupholder.....

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 07:44 AM
    Faster typing on the Classic as opposed to the Passport? Others claim that the Passport is best for text inputting. Of course experiences are going to differ from individual to individual. What continues to frustrate me in such discussions is the absence of data. It is possible to measure average text inputting speeds on different devices. Such testing might reveal that there are sub-groups for whom one device offers better text inputting speeds than another. Alternatively, testing might show that individual differences stem from being at different points along the learning curve and that for a large majority of users, a single type provides better performance in terms of speed.

The point I make on a separate thread is that such data would be very helpful for consumer choice and could be used by BlackBerry for marketing purposes. One would also think that such data have been collected as a part of product development. Other elements of performance such as text editing speeds and device navigation can also be measured through testing.
    01-10-15 10:27 AM
    I went through all of the same things except I never actually bought the classic.

So glad I got the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 11:10 AM
31 12