Hi everyone,

We are expecting our first kid this month! I want a device that will be great at taking lots of pictures of our son, but also a device that will not be a distraction from parental duties. I currently have both the Passport SE and Classic but want to return one of them. Which device would be best for a new parent?

On one hand, the Passport SE takes great pictures and will be really good for Zoom and Skype video calls with family out of town. However, I find with the Passport, I'm more likely to be surfing the net on it and generally being distracted by it (but I'm assuming I'd dial that down to like zero when baby arrives!).

On the other hand, the Classic is less of a distraction. It's camera is good, but is it good enough to handle all the pictures and videos I'll probably be taking of our new baby?

Passport SE or Classic?
    04-01-16 07:24 PM
    IMO, if it's less distraction you want, go back to a 9900. But all kidding aside, I think you answered your own question. The SE takes better pictures and you can Zoom and Skype with family out of town. That's not a distraction but a primary mission of a phone with a new baby in the house. Hundreds of pics and videos and Skyping about baby's first steps. You may find that having a device you can surf on will come in handy when you are rocking baby to sleep in your chair.

No one really can answer this for you. It's like asking an audiophile what speakers he should use with a particular amplifier. It's all personal taste. Just pick the phone that you like the BEST and don't worry about distractions. Once junior or little miss appears, you are going to be too busy to worry about phone choices. I'd pick the phone that did the most and that I liked the best, and the heck with worrying about distractions.

Congrats on the pending new addition.
    04-01-16 07:40 PM
    I own both and can say that having a phone that you can handle with one hand is important. Yes the Passport is great in many ways but you need 2 hands with a small kid. Also the Passport is a kids magnet and not as easy to dismiss as "just a phone", the Classic is more subtle in that way.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 09:19 PM
    I own both and can say that having a phone that you can handle with one hand is important. Yes the Passport is great in many ways but you need 2 hands with a small kid. Also the Passport is a kids magnet and not as easy to dismiss as "just a phone", the Classic is more subtle in that way.

Posted via CB10
    Which device do you use more when taking pictures of your kids?
    04-01-16 10:12 PM
    I've never owned a Classic but I had an opportunity to get one after returning my original Passport for warranty. After much research I decided to replace my Passport with another Passport. The better quality pics was a major factor for me plus the space, however, if you're concerned about space on the Classic you can get a memory card to help with that. I too agree that the Passport will serve better needs in the long run...

Posted via Passport running 10.3.2.2876
    04-01-16 10:22 PM
    Both the devices is very good. Quality of pictures on the Passport is very good .
    04-02-16 06:25 AM
    So we had our son yesterday, and I'm glad I stuck with the Classic and sent the Passport back. The Classic size works really well for one-handed use and taking quick pictures.

Posted via CB10
    menshawy likes this.
    04-17-16 11:59 AM
    You precisely answered the question. Classic means less distraction. But to be honest all BlackBerry devices are causing less distraction thanks for the lack of social media apps (in a way) plus I'd add that a parent who is actually parenting wouldn't let their selves to be distracted from their own kids

Posted via CB10
    04-17-16 12:05 PM
    Congratulations!

And you raised an interesting question I had never really thought of, as we don't have a baby yet!
    My hubby and I both have passports!

Love this thing.. upgraded to another white beast. PASSPORT
    04-17-16 12:18 PM
    I have recently decided to get a Passport to replace my 9900 on my business line. I'm looking forward to it. Changing early June. The 9900 has been great, but it's finally time to move on. I have played with BLEND on my iPad with my Z30 and/or the Q10 that I have, and Blend works well enough so that I won't miss my 9900 Bridged to my Playbook.

OP:
    What did you decide on? Inquiring minds want to know. Please.
    04-20-16 01:16 PM
    Both phones cameras are crap. The passport is overall a better phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-16 02:17 PM
    I have recently decided to get a Passport to replace my 9900 on my business line. I'm looking forward to it. Changing early June. The 9900 has been great, but it's finally time to move on. I have played with BLEND on my iPad with my Z30 and/or the Q10 that I have, and Blend works well enough so that I won't miss my 9900 Bridged to my Playbook.

OP:
    What did you decide on? Inquiring minds want to know. Please.

Passport or Classic for Dad to be?-img_20160420_153650.jpg

Can you all tell from the picture which device I went with?? (Classic!). The Classic is working well and it's far easier to pull out of pockets and take a picture one handed, and it also had better picture colour white balance (Passport being very cool, unnatural white). And yes, of course we also have an actual digital camera, but I just need shots here and there to capture everyday life without having to bring a second device (a camera) with me. The Classic is working out well so far.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-16 04:39 PM
    Both phones cameras are crap. The passport is overall a better phone.

Posted via CB10
    Not for me, Passport was too big and I was more prone to fumbling with it just pulling it out to get a picture. Not only that, but it makes me waste time by too much Web browsing. The Classic, I find it allows me to communicate, take a picture, and then get on with being a daddy. (My wife said to me yesterday that she didn't like the small screen on my Classic for Web browsing compared to my previous Passport... I told her, that's the point!)

Posted via CB10
    04-20-16 04:42 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160420_153650.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	397747

Can you all tell from the picture which device I went with?? (Classic!). The Classic is working well and it's far easier to pull out of pockets and take a picture one handed, and it also had better picture colour white balance (Passport being very cool, unnatural white). And yes, of course we also have an actual digital camera, but I just need shots here and there to capture everyday life without having to bring a second device (a camera) with me. The Classic is working out well so far.

Posted via CB10
    That is an awesome picture. Thanks for sharing it. Congrats. Enjoy that little tyke. CUTE does not even begin to describe that gorgeous child. Congrats on the little one, and the Classic. I almost went with the Classic. It's a winner, but I have had a 9900 and a Q5 for a long time now and wanted something new, and as a power business user, I wanted a wide screen and a QUAD CORE processor, but what works, works. The Classic is one hell of a great phone. Good choice.

Great baby. You are a lucky man.
    04-20-16 07:41 PM
    That is an awesome picture. Thanks for sharing it. Congrats. Enjoy that little tyke. CUTE does not even begin to describe that gorgeous child. Congrats on the little one, and the Classic. I almost went with the Classic. It's a winner, but I have had a 9900 and a Q5 for a long time now and wanted something new, and as a power business user, I wanted a wide screen and a QUAD CORE processor, but what works, works. The Classic is one hell of a great phone. Good choice.

Great baby. You are a lucky man.
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    04-20-16 08:55 PM
    So just a follow up to this thread, as it's been a month since baby was born.

The Classic has been performing quite admirably over the last four weeks. I have been taking TONS of photos of the newborn and the Classic has been doing this very well. My wife even says that my Classic takes better pictures than her iPhone! The Classic's size has been perfect too as I find if I'm out and about holding the baby, I need to keep one hand on him often (unless he's in some kind of a carrier). I have found that the Classic allows me to make those quick messages here and there, and then get back to whatever it was that I was doing. There also has never been a day, so far, where the Classic's battery has not made it to the end of the day. So overall, I am very happy with this device as a new dad!

Posted via CB10
    bigjman likes this.
    05-15-16 07:21 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160420_153650.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	397747

Posted via CB10
    Congrats on that sweet Classic! You look so happy with it. Sometimes it can be demanding of your time and difficult, but the rewards of being a good Classic owner will redouble in the coming years.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 08:11 AM
    I have to say I don't have any PROBLEMS with my BlackBerry Passport SE to make Pictures with my Phone or to message with someone with one Hand. You just need to do a bit finger acrobatic haha.

BlackBerry  Passport Silver Edition  CB App
    05-15-16 11:08 AM
    So just a follow up to this thread, as it's been a month since baby was born.

The Classic has been performing quite admirably over the last four weeks. I have been taking TONS of photos of the newborn and the Classic has been doing this very well. My wife even says that my Classic takes better pictures than her iPhone! The Classic's size has been perfect too as I find if I'm out and about holding the baby, I need to keep one hand on him often (unless he's in some kind of a carrier). I have found that the Classic allows me to make those quick messages here and there, and then get back to whatever it was that I was doing. There also has never been a day, so far, where the Classic's battery has not made it to the end of the day. So overall, I am very happy with this device as a new dad!

Posted via CB10
    Congrats on the baby and the Classic

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 11:46 AM
    Thanks everyone. I'm still tempted by the Passport at times, but I know I always end up going back to the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    bigjman likes this.
    05-15-16 12:51 PM
    Passport is bad for taking children photos. It takes too long to focus. With constant movement of the object. You will get blurry picture all the time. for still picture, passport is super great though. Not sure about classic. Might want to consider a priv or iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 01:27 PM
    Hello. New father here. I had a Q10 when my daughter was born, and have since gone to the Passport. While neither is the perfect 'new dad' device, I much prefer the Passport. Here's why:

• The Passport is fast. Camera opens fast and produces much better shots in varied light conditions. The Passport also comes with 32GB internal storage, and you can put another 128 SD card in. This is 'UUUGE. You will be taking so many photos and videos and you can't afford to miss a single moment b/c you don't have free space.
    • The 4.5" square screen is crisp and beautiful for sharing photos. 3.5" is acceptable, but it's a pleasure to view on the Passport.
    • Android apps will run better on the Passport. It might not seem like a big deal, but photo editing software and other Android apps will run much, much smoother on the Passport. There's a few I use that will limp along on the Q10 (same internals as the Classic), but zip responsively on the Passport.
    • Videos look better on the Passport. I put a few Baby Einstein videos on my Passport when we took a 3 hr. flight and my daughter was very happy to watch them and fall asleep. Classic will display them alright as well, but the bigger screen is nicer.
    • Battery life. Passport (should) beat the Classic on a single charge, and you can't afford to put your phone down to charge when baby first figures out how to roll, crawl, talk, etc.

The Passport isn't superior in every way, though. You can more easily tuck the Classic in a pocket, and take one-handed photos/videos. If you have smaller hands, that could be a large factor. I have average mitts--capable of playing one octave on a grand piano--and am able to wrangle the Passport one-handed in a pinch. It's not a confident gesture, but it can be done.

TL;DR: Classic has the easy form factor that Dad's want. With a newborn in the house you'll probably be doing things one-handed over half the time. Slip it into a pocket, snap a photo, or bang out "help me" in a BBM to your spouse while keeping a curious toddler from certain doom.

The Passport is a powerhouse capable of storing a year's worth of photos and videos with a SD card. Run non-native, and otherwise unavailable, apps designed for babies (and parents) as if you were using a Samsung Galaxy. Don't worry about running out of juice, or missing that photo/video/call because your phone is charging in the other room. Capture baby's first moments in 1080p 60fps and share with the entire family. This phone is both large and in charge, but make no mistake, you'll struggle to take those one-handed selfies.
    05-15-16 02:07 PM
    I got 2 young kids too and take pictures all the time on my classic. I love that you can hold the trackpad down and it focuses the frame for you so when that smile happens you can take the pic right away. There are MANY times I only have one free hand to send a message or browse the Web an in those times am glad for the size. I have never owned a passport and am not saying ones better then the other just saying what I like about the classic as a parent of youngsters.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 04:58 PM
    Leap is also a great alternative and sharing pics with your wife is going to be easier in the long term if she has an iPhone. Using Leap I have found to have an excellent camera. Passport smokes it every time, but for one handed shots while holding my nine month old, the Leap is vastly superior and less blur. Plus the selfie cam is virtually the same anyway. Hahaha!

Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 06:30 PM
    Leap is also a great alternative and sharing pics with your wife is going to be easier in the long term if she has an iPhone. Using Leap I have found to have an excellent camera. Passport smokes it every time, but for one handed shots while holding my nine month old, the Leap is vastly superior and less blur. Plus the selfie cam is virtually the same anyway. Hahaha!

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I actually did consider the Leap as an option for a BlackBerry device as a new dad. I found that the Leap and the Classic have nearly identical specs, and I like the Classic's keyboard, so I hence went for the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    bigjman likes this.
    05-17-16 10:52 AM
26 12