02-08-15 07:40 PM
137 1234 ...
tools
    If you want to run Android apps - and I suppose most of us will - go with the passport. The classic is much slower and Android apps run sluggishly on it.
    01-03-15 02:15 AM
    I have both at my hands now, the BlackBerry Passport and Classic. Here's my mini comparison:

Blackberry Classic:
    I like:
    +++ fits into my hand, pocket,
    +++ full keyboard with all the symbols
    +++ physical call buttons are very nice
    +++ back button is very helpful
    + shortcuts to launch applications
    + scroll-track button sometimes very handy

I don't like:
    - the weight is unbalanced, flips out of my hands
    - one handed use is possible, but borderline
    - skype freezes the device
    - many apps that I need are not available as native, or are paying third party
    - android apps are very slow to start and respond
    - many android apps I need stop with an error
    - scroll-track button moves the cursor, not the page
    - camera is slow to start and often blurry, even in good lighting

Blackberry Passport
    I like:
    +++ big keyboard, pleasure to type on
    +++ stunning screen real estate
    + screen is useful for reading and responding
    + buttons are easy to type on
    + in general responsive
    + robust feel

I don't like:
    - the weight is unbalanced, flips out of my hands, even two handed
    - one handed use is not possible, put the phone to silence, respond to call, read a text message, play-pause music, volume up, take a photo all need both hands
    - scroll up and swipe up interferes, I often leave an application when I want to scroll up
    - lack of back key is a pain
    - system settings is a two finger swipe, difficult to execute, but I use it zillion times a day (single finger swipe is for app settings, I never use it)
    - skype crashes often during calls, drains battery
    - about 20 android apps I need are not compatible, they quit with Google Play Service not available error
    - when I need the soft keys, it breaks the typing rhythm, and slows me down ( - , ( ) number)
    - tracking-scrolling functions on keyboard are a hit and miss, buggy

All in all, it feels the Classic only would work if I stick to the built in apps, as the specs are slow for any android apps.
    The passport is better in running android apps, but still not fluid, and my cheapo Asus E700 (150 Euro) runs everything fast and snappy, in a fluid way. Like I can open documents during a Skype call, browse the map or web pages, and return to the call. The Passport struggles to do the same, the Classic simply crashes. I talk about Skype, because I use it a lot, many of my work is on Skype calls and conf calls.

Both phones excel in hardware quality, and both have the same software issues. None of them is easy to recommend, but I can see both to learn and love.

I typed this on the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    nyplaya610 likes this.
    01-03-15 03:14 AM
    OP: what are the pro/cons with your 9780?

I had one before I switched to Q10, then Passport. All were great in different areas. It really depends what you want/need...

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 04:04 AM
    I have both at my hands now, the BlackBerry Passport and Classic. Here's my mini comparison:

Blackberry Classic:
    I like:
    +++ fits into my hand, pocket,
    +++ full keyboard with all the symbols
    +++ physical call buttons are very nice
    +++ back button is very helpful
    + shortcuts to launch applications
    + scroll-track button sometimes very handy

I don't like:
    - the weight is unbalanced, flips out of my hands
    - one handed use is possible, but borderline
    - skype freezes the device
    - android apps are very slow to start and respond
    - many android apps I need stop with an error
    - scroll-track button moves the cursor, not the page

Blackberry Passport
    I like:
    +++ big keyboard, pleasure to type on
    +++ stunning screen real estate
    + screen is useful for reading and responding
    + buttons are easy to type on
    + in general responsive
    + robust feel

I don't like:
    - the weight is unbalanced, flips out of my hands, even two handed
    - one handed use is not possible, put the phone to silence, respond to call, read a text message, play-pause music, volume up, take a photo all need both hands
    - scroll up and swipe up interferes, I often leave an application when I want to scroll up
    - lack of back key is a pain
    - system settings is a two finger swipe, difficult to execute, but I use it zillion times a day (single finger swipe is for app settings, I never use it)
    - skype crashes often during calls, drains battery
    - about 20 android apps I need are not compatible, they quit with Google Play Service not available error
    - when I need the soft keys, it breaks the typing rhythm, and slows me down ( - , ( ) number)
    - tracking-scrolling functions on keyboard are a hit and miss, buggy

All in all, it feels the Classic only would work if I stick to the built in apps, as the specs are slow for any android apps.
    The passport is better in running android apps, but still not fluid, and my cheapo Asus E700 (150 Euro) runs everything fast and snappy, in a fluid way. Like I can open documents during a Skype call, browse the map or web pages, and return to the call. The Passport struggles to do the same, the Classic simply crashes. I talk about Skype, because I use it a lot, many of my work is on Skype calls and conf calls.

Both phones excel in hardware quality, and both have the same software issues. None of them is easy to recommend, but I can see both to learn and love.

I typed this on the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    Dude, regarding passport - you are so wrong, that I am not sure if you ever holded passport in your hands, lol.
    Flip, unbalanced, slow with skype? Just pics or didn't happen, lol

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    01-03-15 05:31 AM
    The Classic is so outdated in terms of hardware and should really be positioned and priced as more of a budget phone. If you want a true flagship and want to try something a little different go with the Passport.

Posted via RED Passport on CB 10
    zipro likes this.
    01-03-15 07:02 AM
    The Classic is so outdated in terms of hardware and should really be positioned and priced as more of a budget phone. If you want a true flagship and want to try something a little different go with the Passport.

Posted via RED Passport on CB 10
    What if you're not interested in a "true flagship" and instead want a PKB and a belt and the one handed form factor of a non-phablet? Would it be ok to consider the Classic that has specs that can run a Q10 just fine?
    Vintage123, Melinium and ponpiri like this.
    01-03-15 08:08 AM
    Hi OP. I'm a bit in the same boat.

I was positive I was going to get a Passport as my next phone. I've gotten to hold one and use it and it is fantastic. I love the keyboard.

Then, yesterday I got to hold a Classic for the first time. The pics didn't do anything for me, but holding it reminded me of of how solid and reliable my first BlackBerry was.

Now I'm a bit torn.

Posted via CB10
    datgur1 likes this.
    01-03-15 08:21 AM
    Passport is much more innovative!

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 08:51 AM
    Passport definitely..

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 08:55 AM
    I was one of the people that didn't care about specs between the 2. It was Classic or nothing, specs were secondary.

Now that I've had a little time with the Passport, I see why people are so concerned with specs. It's night and day between the 2....period.

The Passport is just plain faster and crisper imo.

The keyboard and typing still go to the Classic though, I'm typing this from my Classic and I can flat out fly using the Classics keyboard. My fingers can actually type faster than my brain can process lol!

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 09:25 AM
    I was one of the people that didn't care about specs between the 2. It was Classic or nothing, specs were secondary.

Now that I've had a little time with the Passport, I see why people are so concerned with specs. It's night and day between the 2....period.

The Passport is just plain faster and crisper imo.

The keyboard and typing still go to the Classic though, I'm typing this from my Classic and I can flat out fly using the Classics keyboard. My fingers can actually type faster than my brain can process lol!

Posted via CB10
    It's all about priorities. For me, keyboard functionality trumps ALL. I'll gladly wait an additional second or two to open an app or browse the web. I'll give up screen size & longevity of the battery but I will not adapt to a three row keyboard even if I'm able to and especially if I don't enjoy it as much as the four row.

Posted via CB10
    Lefty724 likes this.
    01-03-15 09:44 AM
    I wanted to upgrade from the Z10, and therefore I spent a lot of time evaluating the passport directly by playing with a functional demo model at Rogers stores. When the classic came out I also played around with it. In the end I got the classic. The phone is fast and fluid. Love the keyboard etc. I'm a spec junkie and I didn't care that the classic had lower specs than the passport. The classic does everything I need and more.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 09:53 AM
    No brainer you should choose Passport.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 09:54 AM
    Passport is too big for me. Classic is just right. I would an all touch in the classic form factor.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 09:56 AM
    Don't be intimidated moving to os10 and by far the PP is one of the most advanced keyboarded devices available at the moment!

Once you get the hang of the three row capacative keyboard you'll wonder why you haven't used it sooner!

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 10:22 AM
    I agree.

I'm having a hard time getting use to the 3 row keyboard while I feel right at home on a Classic!

I'm still going to give it a few more days and see if I can get used to the PP keyboard. There a few differences that I like and dislike about the keyboard, but I'll give a little more time before I make my choice.

At this point, I wanna keep them both lol

Posted from my Spongeberry Passport using CB10
    Vintage123 likes this.
    01-03-15 03:15 PM
    After using passport for few months, the classic is simply too slow.
    Ideal world would've been a classic with horsepower of the passport.
    Sticking with pp
    tanzarian likes this.
    01-03-15 03:30 PM
    I returned my Passport for the Classic...I think I made a bad move...I still can return the Classic and buy the Passport again but will have to pay more. Oh well...

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 03:55 PM
    The Passport is much better value for the money you pay.

 Z10 - 10.3.1.1151
    01-03-15 04:09 PM
    I returned my Passport for the Classic...I think I made a bad move...I still can return the Classic and buy the Passport again but will have to pay more. Oh well...

Posted via CB10
    I'll trade with you if you decide to go back to the PP.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 04:47 PM
    Go for the PP imo...classic seems to me a great device,but as a former Q10 owner i have to admit,the small screen ist really suitable for web browsing for example and i do a lot...so if its the same with you,rather PP...

Aquila non captat muscas
    01-03-15 05:26 PM
    As much as I love the looks of the Classic, I think in the long run the Passport is better because of the specs.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 06:50 PM
    It comes down to what are your needs.

I was a Q10 user when I upgraded to a Passport. No experience with the Classic. I did not wait for the latter because the Passport suited my needs. Those folks coming from OS7 might appreciate the extra hardware of the Classic however. They are both excellent communication devices. My two cents worth (based on Q10 experience):

Passport: Screen
    Specs
    Classic: Portability

For me, the Passport is a BIG phone yet that is because of the screen real estate. And oh what a difference that makes. I find my Passport has supplanted my iPad for many tasks. It seems to do things faster than the Q10 did. I do sometimes miss the size of the Q10 but not often. As for the keyboard, it is a bit of a learning curve but after a month's use I am now as fast as I was with my Q10.

Each has its pluses and minuses but which ever you get, I doubt you'll regret it.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 07:37 PM
    I cant decide if ill let go of this passport due to its size (but love everything about it) and replace it with a classic. I just think that the classic doesnt have that wow factor compared to the passport and still find it pricey. Im thinking of keeping this passport and just get a Q5 and install 10.3 in it. That way, ill just try to imagine that my Q5 is the classic lol
    01-03-15 07:57 PM
    Believe it or not, the Passport was a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be? I have small hands for guy and the Passport is actually pretty comfortable to type on with 2 hands. I can barely reach the RFV row with my right thumb when holding it in my right hand.

I can fly typing on the Classic and can pretty much reach all the keys with one hand.

Posted from my Spongeberry Passport using CB10
    01-03-15 08:25 PM
137 1234 ...