03-14-16 02:31 PM
183 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Attachment 331223

Taken with Passport.. once the new software is released it will hopefully be awesome.... camera is capable of taking great pics, once speed of focusing improved....

From my awesome Passport
    Hazy, grainy and out of focus.

Dude, it's hazy, grainy and out of focus.

Attachment 331163

Posted via CB10
    Hazy, poor color outtake and grainy.

Seiroulsy, people who might consider PP, look at the PP photo thread. It can take amazing photos. The focus is bad that is true, but the leak seems to be adjusting part of this and the action mode make the focus lot easier. Look for good threads, not only people saying it is horrible.

See the preview. Now go to existing threads and you will find amazing pictures.
    Attachment 331172

Posted via CB10

Scene: Moving objects (frequency of drops was 3-5 per sec)
    Software used: Camera ++ (by I&N MobiSoft).
    Device: BlackBerry Passport (10.3.0.908)

Hazy, grainy and too dark because the camera cannot capture colors properly.
    02-02-15 12:42 PM
    why is the picture not square? did you take the picture while taking video?
    I don't know which picture you're referring to, but I use the 4:3 aspect ratio because I read that it improved the quality a bit when I used my Q10. If the same is true for the Passport, I really don't know, I just kept using the 4:3 ratio just in case... Maybe someone here knows if the aspect ratio actually makes any difference whatsoever when it comes to the quality of the shots?

Posted via CB10
    maxb1ack likes this.
    02-02-15 12:51 PM
    Here?s what the LG G3?s camera can do | Pocketnow

LG G3 has the same camera as the passport.

But surprise, surprise, their photos aren't as shocking as the passport.
    02-02-15 12:55 PM
    I don't know which picture you're referring to, but I use the 4:3 aspect ratio because I read that it improved the quality a bit when I used my Q10. If the same is true for the Passport, I really don't know, I just kept using the 4:3 ratio just in case... Maybe someone here knows if the aspect ratio actually makes any difference whatsoever when it comes to the quality of the shots?

Posted via CB10
    I read that also, about the 4:3 ratio. I have mine set to that and don't have the square pics. They're still sub par. It didn't help.

Posted via CB10
    maxb1ack likes this.
    02-02-15 12:58 PM
    When you post a picture, please add how long it took you to get it that wayyyy?

There's no way you pulled out the Passport and just snapped it. That can't be what Johnny C. ordered from the factory.

Posted via CB10
    Vintage123, buwee and EsJayDee like this.
    02-02-15 01:09 PM
    why is the picture not square? did you take the picture while taking video?
    There are options for 1:1, 4:3, and 16:9. 4:3 takes pictures in the highest resolution, the other two options just cut off the 4:3 resolution.

1:1 is 3120x3120 (9.8MP) - 4:3 is 4160x3120 (13MP) - 16:9 is 4160x2340 (9.8MP)

There's a REAL dog in that pile of toys?! Wonder which it is lol
    She is a true monster, but as happy as she could be...
    EsJayDee, Barbareren and maxb1ack like this.
    02-02-15 01:09 PM
    Hazy? Try to clean your screen, contact lenses or glasses (pick the one that creates the hazy effect)
    Poor colour? Hmm, let's see. Clouds - grey, plastic roof - partially transparent, water drop - transparent, trees in far distance, therefore depth of field blurred. Any other colours have I missed?
    Grainy? Try to replace your display. Another possibility open the image on a computer, use a software that can show you 100% zoom, find the graininess.

cannot capture colors properly - any links with proof?
    nyallj likes this.
    02-02-15 01:58 PM
    I'm on the latest leaked OS and the camera is perfect.
    02-02-15 02:48 PM
    *shrug* some random shots from my Pics folder taken in the last month or so with the Passport:

Passport camera is ugh....-img_20150118_082306_hdr.jpgPassport camera is ugh....-img_20150128_173130-1-.jpgPassport camera is ugh....-img_20150128_173130-2-.jpgPassport camera is ugh....-img_20150128_173130.jpg
    Passport camera is ugh....-img_20150117_085704.jpg

Nothing fancy, just pulled out, tapped to focus and shoot, a second or two tops. HDR on the low-light cat one.
    Camera isn't that bad.

On 10.3.1.2072 leak.
    02-02-15 04:28 PM
    *shrug* some random shots from my Pics folder taken in the last month or so with the Passport:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150118_082306_hdr.jpg 
Views:	793 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	331383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150128_173130 (1).jpg 
Views:	786 
Size:	236.7 KB 
ID:	331384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150128_173130 (2).jpg 
Views:	788 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	331385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150128_173130.jpg 
Views:	783 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	331386
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150117_085704.jpg 
Views:	786 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	331387

Nothing fancy, just pulled out, tapped to focus and shoot, a second or two tops. HDR on the low-light cat one.
    Camera isn't that bad.

On 10.3.1.2072 leak.
    Shrug. The issue isn't with photographing stationary objects, once again.

Posted via CB10
    buwee likes this.
    02-02-15 04:32 PM
    I'm on the latest leaked OS and the camera is perfect.
    I hope so.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 04:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes it is. OP's pic was taken at a banquet. Poor focus & lighting were the issues, not motion.
    02-02-15 04:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sigh, I keep saying the same thing and yet we keep getting people posting some great shots of still NON moving objects which we ALL KNOW the PP's camera is quite capable of. I'm as much a BB lover as the next person but I have to call it like it is - Again, my G3, Iphone, Note 3, Note 4 and even my Z30 & Classic takes better photos when there is any movement at all of the subject.

I purchased Camera ++ and don't like it at all as I can't even zoom to view the picture that I have just taken not to mention the fonts are so small on the settings screen I need a magnifying glass to see it LOL. Also, unless I spend time adjusting things the results are not that much different from the native camera.

With any of my other phones including the Z30, Classic and even the Z10 I am able to just pull the phone out of my pocket, point and shoot and rarely end up with a blurry shot. Again, with the PP unless the subject is still and I take the time to focus and or lock focus and then shoot I will end up with a POS photo.

Edit: The photos on the Z10, Z30 & Classic obviously won't have as much detail as the PP but at least they usually are nice and sharp and not a blurry mess when taking pictures of moving subjects.

As usual I expect to continually see some members posting all kinds of non moving object photos which they took a few seconds to focus and compose and say "see, these are great photos" LOL - I'm just glad that I also carry another phone with me that does actually have a decent camera and don't have to defend the POS camera on the PP.
    Last edited by buwee; 02-02-15 at 05:19 PM.
    02-02-15 04:59 PM
    Trying to minimize legitimate complaints/concerns from BlackBerry enthusiasts with lame humor is pretty lame.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my thoughts and I AM a Blackberry enthusiast but the only difference is I call it like it is - The PP's camera and or software is a POS! LOL
    02-02-15 05:15 PM
    Yes it is. OP's pic was taken at a banquet. Poor focus & lighting were the issues, not motion.
    Focus isn't a huge deal when you're dealing with stationary objects. The major gripes ARE moving objects AND poor focus, one or the other. No one is debating whether or not you can get a decent pic if you spend long enough trying to obtain it. I can't stand the undercurrent that somehow PP owners are just too stupid to figure out how to snap a decent pic. It's obvious the camera is lagging in focus capability which affects moving targets more severely than stationary objects. For some, it's a non issue but for others it's a real let down. Stop trying to minimize it as if it's user error. You love it, that's great. The thread is for those who aren't happy with the camera so quit splitting hairs. For those that are pleased with their photos, there are a few threads created just for you.

Posted via CB10
    buwee, Barbareren and jdesignz like this.
    02-02-15 05:33 PM
    Hazy, grainy and out of focus.

Dude, it's hazy, grainy and out of focus.

First, the CB Forums software reduces the resolution of photos so much, that even good photos appear grainy. But yes, the AF is very flaky, and it's too easy to knock it off focus after you've set up the shot and are pressing the button.

Second, I really disagree with you about colour accuracy. The Passport camera, like other BlackBerry cameras before it, gives very honest colours - brutally honest, in fact. What it doesn't do is flatter the users by artificially shifting the colours towards warmer hues. So if you look like death warmed over under fluorescent lights, you will look the same way in a Passport photo (just like in a real passport photo, in fact!). With an iPhone camera, you will look good.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    02-02-15 07:34 PM
    Camera++ totally changed my view of the Passport. I was thinking of returning because of the focus issues still present in 10.3.1, but I have decided to keep the Passport. Loving this beast!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-02-15 07:42 PM
    Megapixels doesn't render how good a camera is, think about the lens
    02-02-15 08:45 PM
    Focus isn't a huge deal when you're dealing with stationary objects. The major gripes ARE moving objects AND poor focus, one or the other. No one is debating whether or not you can get a decent pic if you spend long enough trying to obtain it. I can't stand the undercurrent that somehow PP owners are just too stupid to figure out how to snap a decent pic. It's obvious the camera is lagging in focus capability which affects moving targets more severely than stationary objects. For some, it's a non issue but for others it's a real let down. Stop trying to minimize it as if it's user error. You love it, that's great. The thread is for those who aren't happy with the camera so quit splitting hairs. For those that are pleased with their photos, there are a few threads created just for you.

Posted via CB10
    Chuckle... You sure read a lot into the little I said.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    02-02-15 10:06 PM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    really looking forward to getting os 10.3.1 on my PASSPORT!

welcome the improvements to the camera .. and elsewhere …

from my awesome Passport!
    02-02-15 11:29 PM
    really looking forward to getting os 10.3.1 on my PASSPORT!

welcome the improvements to the camera .. and elsewhere …

from my awesome Passport!
    You will be disappointed if the official 10.3.1 is anything like the 10.3.1 leaks that are out now. Hopefully, the reason why the camera is such a pos now is because the o/s is a leak and not meant for consumer use.
    02-02-15 11:56 PM
    I am not surprised that they won't be fixing camera focus issue in new official release. Also Camera++ doesn't do the job.

]|I{------ ѕєηт яσм му  ραѕѕρσят. ------}I|[
    02-03-15 12:58 AM
    Ok, I swore I wouldn't get dragged back into this one....I get annoyed when people say "the PP has a bad camera". Yes, it has a slow focus. This is its biggest problem. That doesnt make it bad, just harder to use. Maybe for some this counts as bad, not me.

Anyway, I see people taking blurry photos and saying the camera is bad. I thought I would put this to bed once and for all. Firstly, I am an engineer, and my current job is designing an IR camera module for machine vision. I actually know something about cameras I am still a poor photographer, but I don't blame my tools.

So (apologies for the length of the post in advance). The camera records light that hits it (duh). The sensor is the light sensitive bit - it is made up of millions of cells which convert photons (light) to electricity. The more photons, the higher the voltage, the brighter the pixel. Each cell is amplified to give the final value for the image. If you have a nice bright scene, then it takes very little time to get enough photons to make a bright pixel. You can also turn down the amplifier so the cell is less sensitive.

Noise is always there. It comes from inconsistencies in manufacture, temperature, bleed etc. When you amplify the cell, you also amplify the noise.

ISO is the sensitivity of the sensor/film to light. In a digital camera ISO is basically the amplifier. High ISO = high amplification = high noise. Low ISO = low amplification = low noise. With me so far?

So if you want low noise in low light, you need to capture more photons. You do this by leaving the sensor "open" for longer. You can get the same amount of output by simply lowering the amplifier and leaving the sensor active for longer. The length of time the sensor is active is the shutter. It isn't a mechanical shutter like an SLR, the module basically freezes the cell so the voltage doesnt change.

Ok, so we get nice low noise photos now. Execpt.... when the shutter is open a long time, I move the camera and the photo gets all blurry. Step in OIS (stabilisation). It adjusts the lens so that it stays still. This enables you to take photos for much longer. It works great for stationary objects, but fast moving ones will blur. The PP has OIS and I suspect the camera software is biased towards low ISO, shots which rely on OIS.

If you want to capture fast movement in low light, or even normal light, you need to tell the camera to up the ISO and speed up the shutter. That is what action mode is for. Night goes the other way and allows for extra long shutter times. The flash normally sets the shutter at a speed where motion blur won't occur (1/60 to 1/125 of a second). By using the flash, your subject won't move hence won't blur.

I am not defending the PP camera per se, I believe they have relied more on OIS than other brands. This will slow the shutter and cause blur. However, in static scenes, the lower noise will make the photo look better.

I fully expect people to reply saying they don't care - it still takes aweful photos. Hopefully you'll now realise that software can change all this, and if BlackBerry prioritise shutter speed rather than low ISO, the images will be better.

Now focus speed is another thing completely........

Sorry for the long post - hope this helps some people understand what is going on rather than just saying it is cr*p.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 05:41 AM
    Thought I'd put my money where my mouth is. Here is a shot at night, low lighting, ceiling fan going at about 600rpm (max speed). First shot is night mode. Note very little noise for such a low light shot. I used camera++ so I could control the settings better.

Passport camera is ugh....-img_20150203_221454482.jpg

Notice that you can't see the fan blades at all. Everything is on auto except night mode. Next up is action mode with everything again on auto

Passport camera is ugh....-img_20150203_221504828.jpg

Now the shutter is faster, but you can only get a glimpse that something is there. There is more noise though. Next, I set ISO to 3200. Now you can see the blades. The front blade is warped due to the sensor scanning, lots of noise

Passport camera is ugh....-img_20150203_221519707.jpg

Now, we turn on the flash. Wow, where did they come from. The fan is still travelling faster than the eye can see, yet there are the blades. Who will be the first brave soul to say this was a static scene with no movement

Passport camera is ugh....-img_20150203_221530590.jpg

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 06:23 AM
    Camera++ totally changed my view of the Passport. I was thinking of returning because of the focus issues still present in 10.3.1, but I have decided to keep the Passport. Loving this beast!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Really? How has it changed ur view?

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 06:45 AM
183 ... 34567 ...