[WARN]Some people like coffee, some like tea. Some like Narragansett Beer, some like Courvoisier. Some people have to drive a Ferrari, some are content with their 1966 Volkswagen Minibus. I don't think any of them really care what the other likes. And so it shall be with people who are content with the PP's camera and people who are not, lest this thread shall be forever closed. Mmmmkay? [/WARN]
    buwee likes this.
    02-03-15 06:49 PM
    I tried changing my destination from SD card to internal storage. It's still the same.

I've also reduced the video to 720p.

Here's how I measured it. I got my wristwatch. Opened my camera app and waited for the seconds hand to reach zero. Then I pressed the video mode. Screen will turn blank for quite some time and will come back on. Stop the video recording.

Replay the video and look at the seconds hand of the watch at the start of the video. It's at eight seconds.

Am I the only one experiencing sluggish change to video mode?

Posted via CB10
    I don't notice a lag at all. However, whenever I tapped the video icon by mistake, it took me about 8 seconds to realize that I was recording a video rather than taking a photo.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    02-03-15 11:39 PM
    I tried changing my destination from SD card to internal storage. It's still the same.

I've also reduced the video to 720p.

Here's how I measured it. I got my wristwatch. Opened my camera app and waited for the seconds hand to reach zero. Then I pressed the video mode. Screen will turn blank for quite some time and will come back on. Stop the video recording.

Replay the video and look at the seconds hand of the watch at the start of the video. It's at eight seconds.

Am I the only one experiencing sluggish change to video mode?

Posted via CB10
    Repeated measurements using your method. 2 seconds max it takes to switch to video mode and start recording. Video set to 720. Same repeated for 1080 - timing up to 3 seconds. Frame rate (30 or 60) didn't change the switching speed.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 12:29 AM
    Passport camera is ugh....-image.jpg

Here is one from my end using the sports mode. I didnt have any problem at all. I am using the default camera of my PP.
    bb10_fan and seemsixty7 like this.
    02-04-15 02:01 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	331702

Here is one from my end using the sports mode. I didnt have any problem at all. I am using the default camera of my PP.
    Now thats impressive.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 03:33 AM
    Im on PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243 right now, so far the camera has been focusing faster and more accurate. Its not lightning quick but its getting better.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 05:32 AM
    If you're running leaks and complaining about the camera, do a timelapse selfie with the front 2MP and wait for the official 10.3.1

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 06:44 AM
    Welcome to the SLOW FOCUS CLUB.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 08:20 AM
    Welcome to the SLOW FOCUS CLUB.

Posted via CB10
    With the right mods, they can be pretty quick

Passport camera is ugh....-gta_bw_2012_090.jpg
    Elite1 and partizan666 like this.
    02-04-15 09:34 AM
    For many pics manual focus would save the day
    02-04-15 09:44 AM
    Does anyone get broken pictures when it's stored on an SD card? I'm trying to figure out if it's software, hardware or the SD card itself.
    02-04-15 11:04 AM
    I have taken some great pictures with the Passport. It's definitely capable of taking great pictures but the software is another issue.
    Hope 10.3.1 will fix the focus especially in low light.

The form factor is also great. Reminds me of the old Polaroids.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 01:14 PM
    Seems strange to me to make decisions on a PHONE based on pictures, it's a PHONE
    Hear! Hear!

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 01:30 PM
    I felt being lead to believe with 13MP specification, camera has one of the best out there.
    My initial financial consideration is to sell my Samsung Note 3 to fund a new Passport (bought Passport recently). Plan has started to fall apart. Passport camera is shockingly weak. It is only good under sufficient sunlight. Overall, it can't even match up with Samsung or iPhone.
    I now can't decide if I should sell my Note 3. This is one situation I don't wish to be in. Thanks to blackberry & myself for being a BB fan.
    02-04-15 08:22 PM
    Notice those who posted great pictures taken on their Passport. They are all taken outdoor under sufficient sunlight. Until you actually own a Samsung Note or new iPhone & have sufficient experience using under different settings & lightings, you would not appreciate what others are coming from.
    02-04-15 08:59 PM
    All of the five I posted were indoors, two with low light conditions. Sorry.
    02-04-15 11:14 PM
    Notice those who posted great pictures taken on their Passport. They are all taken outdoor under sufficient sunlight. Until you actually own a Samsung Note or new iPhone & have sufficient experience using under different settings & lightings, you would not appreciate what others are coming from.
    As a matter of interest, I used to use (and still own) a Nokia pureview 808 which is one of the all time best cameras ever to grace a phone. I rate the PP highly. You don't need good light outside, just a static scene. The low light performance is actually quite spectacular with the right settings. The only real problem is the sluggish focus. OIS tends to select slow shutter speeds which means you get a lot of movement in lower light. Selecting action (or high ISO in camera++) helps.

To turn the camera app around and make it really good, BlackBerry really just need to address four things:

Focus speed,
    Saving of settings,
    Startup speed,
    Better shutter priority (action) modes.

None of the above deals with IQ (image quality), just usability.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 02:16 AM
    As a matter of interest, I used to use (and still own) a Nokia pureview 808 which is one of the all time best cameras ever to grace a phone. I rate the PP highly. You don't need good light outside, just a static scene. The low light performance is actually quite spectacular with the right settings. The only real problem is the sluggish focus. OIS tends to select slow shutter speeds which means you get a lot of movement in lower light. Selecting action (or high ISO in camera++) helps.

To turn the camera app around and make it really good, BlackBerry really just need to address four things:

Focus speed,
    Saving of settings,
    Startup speed,
    Better shutter priority (action) modes.

None of the above deals with IQ (image quality), just usability.

Posted via CB10
    This. Also a good "auto" mode would help novices and lazy people. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 05:00 AM
    False, I own an Iphone also and low lighting pictures with people on are way great on PP, we can actually see the faces while we almost can't on Iphone. (still photos)

Dunno for samsung.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    02-05-15 05:51 AM
    All in all if you take someone that can't operate a camera and give them a high end DSLR, does that mean their pictures will be great? No. Does it give them the opportunity to take great pictures? Yes. I have a Canon Camera I use to take higher end photos, I am no expert photographer or even novice for that matter. I take some decent pictures. I use the PP camera and in the right conditions with point and shoot it does great, Panorama is awesome. In highly dynamic scenes(lot of movement it struggles in point and shoot, the autofocus struggles to lock on to anything. I have found that if I lock focus on the depth of the subject matter then snap the picture when I want it results in a good clear picture. Low light shots tend to have the same requirements. Lock the focus and it works well. If you learn how to set the camera, any camera up for the shot, you get a better results. Which camera is better, I can't tell you, but I can say that if you take the time to use the equipment properly you are going to get better results. Here are a few shots I've taken with my pp camera.

Attachment 331983 A great looking car, Low light at night, with just outdoor lighting.
    Attachment 331985 A fuzzy shot of the cloud formation. The clouds are actually the focal point. not the ideal camera for this shot.
    Attachment 331986 Panoramic of the Pyramids.

Attachment 331988 point and click shot while riding in a car down the freeway.
    Last edited by seemsixty7; 02-05-15 at 11:19 AM.
    02-05-15 11:04 AM
    I don't feel like carrying my Nikon D800 and one of my $2-3k lenses to a bar to snap candid shots of friends. Or walking around with it all day, everyday. It's 2015, a poorly performing and slow camera is inexcusable on a flagship phone.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-05-15 11:37 AM
    I don't feel like carrying my Nikon D800 and one of my $2-3k lenses to a bar to snap candid shots of friends. Or walking around with it all day, everyday. It's 2015, a poorly performing and slow camera is inexcusable on a flagship phone.
    I agree. That was the whole point of me starting this thread. People can show examples all day....i was just highlighting what is there without any excuses.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 11:58 AM
    Point was that if you use the camera using the controls you have it works. It does not function like an iPhone camera. Simply pull up the camera app press on the screen what you want to focus on and then take the picture. Done! Avoid the auto focus issue alltogehter as well as the delays. Hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 12:08 PM
    I find that before taking your shot tap on the screen to where you want to focus on your object and then hit take photo right away and you will always have 100% perfect shots. This technique has been working for me and I've been taking perfect pics since. I wouldn't say it's a hit and miss thing because it's more like the auto focus is not recognizing where to focus so manually you guide it instead.

Like my attached picture, I tap on the centre of the soup to guide the camera where to focus instead of letting it figure out where to focus.

I took this, without any editing.
    Attachment 331175
    But still, it seriously need fix. At least the auto focus. It hits and misses. With Camera ++ we can use the manual focus.
    02-05-15 01:50 PM
    It's 2015, a poorly performing and slow camera is inexcusable on a flagship phone.
    I think most agree with the slow part, but most also disagree with poorly performing. The PP takes very good, high quality shots, just not quickly. IQ (image quality) = high, usability is low. Once you get used to manually selecting things like focus and scene then usability gets better, however this is not an excuse for the slow nature, just a workaround.

Lets hope the software updates improve usability, and doesn't lower IQ as a result - then I'll join the complainants
    02-05-15 03:45 PM
183 ... 5678