I suggest using HDR without flash for bright environments.
    tinochiko and datgur1 like this.
    12-24-14 01:16 PM
    I don't understand why people complain about the Passport camera. With a little bit of knowledge on how cameras work, you can take great pictures in most lighting situations. Use the appropriate mode for each situation. Here is a night time shot of a well decorated house with a lot of lights taken with my Passport camera.
    Attachment 322845

Posted via CB10
    This is a Z30 photo, it's not great but it's better than yours.

Attachment 322905
    Attached Thumbnails Passport camera is SO bad in excessive light situations-facebook-20141224-122533.png  
    12-24-14 03:41 PM
    Seriously? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is difficult to compare photos from different scenes with different lighting situations. I know that there were several phone cameras (IPhone 6, HTC One, Galaxy S4) taking photos of the same house, and the Passport photos were as good or better than the photos from the other phones.
    Can the photo be improved? Of course it can, but we are talking about a picture from a phone camera not a high end DSLR!
    Can the auto focus be better on the Passport? Of course it can.
    My point is that the Passport camera can take pictures that are as good as (and sometimes better) than other camera phones, and I am tired of others complaining about how horrid the Passport camera is.
    I will continue to enjoy using the Passport camera as I learn to get better pictures. When the shot is critical and nothing but a perfect exposure is acceptable, I will use my 5D.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 04:58 PM
    anyone notice lag
    12-24-14 05:01 PM
    At family xmas party. This software running this camera is a pile of steamy horse dung. Just awful, and I'm not talking about the family. Who is responsible for this garbage?
    12-24-14 07:16 PM
    Point proven. Look at your grainy picture lol. Since u like it so much frame it.
    12-24-14 07:21 PM
    agreed
    12-24-14 07:22 PM
    Here are the take-home messages for me:

1. Most people have no idea what a technically good photo is - myself included.
    2. The Passport camera isn't as good as its current smartphone competition. Blackberry isn't going to fare well in this area when the competition is constantly improving their technology.
    3. Some people will never accept #2 no matter what.
    12-24-14 07:50 PM
    Defending a sub-standard product is laughable. Yes, the camera takes good photos under the right circumstances but action and low light photography is so much worse than my former iPhone and Samsung S5. Overall I like the PP better than the S5 and a smidge better than the Iphone. But, this camera setup is bush league. Pisses me off.
    12-24-14 08:27 PM
    Just a question. I'm planning to buy a Passport and I really love how my Z10 renders the color of a picture.

For me, the best camera phone is Z10 because of the color saturation. Of course on a daylight setting. We all know BlackBerry + night is a NO NO.

So, how's the camera of Passport at daylight?

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 08:41 PM
    The Passport cameras focus is too slow, it's impossible to take a good picture when your baby is constantly moving, the focus can't keep up. I didn't experience this problem with my 9900, Z10, or Z30. I really hope this is fixed with a software upgrade, this is my primary camera, and right now it's unacceptable.
    12-24-14 08:56 PM
    Give it some time. The z10 camera used to be pretty terrible but it's really good now. Same thing goes for the passport, 10.3.1 is right around the corner. Hopefully it helps the speed and focus of the camera

BBM: 2BE320B5 CHANNEL: C00121E43
    12-24-14 09:03 PM
    The Passport cameras focus is too slow, it's impossible to take a good picture when your baby is constantly moving, the focus can't keep up. I didn't experience this problem with my 9900, Z10, or Z30. I really hope this is fixed with a software upgrade, this is my primary camera, and right now it's unacceptable.
    Can't the time shift mode help in this kind of situation?

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 09:26 PM
    Can't the time shift mode help in this kind of situation?

Posted via CB10
    I've tried the time shift, each image is a blur, some are better than others, but the focus speed is still an issues. I find it works best with static objects/people.

One thing that does help in some situations is locking the focus, but the shutter and flash is also slow, there is almost a 2 second delay between initiating the picture to the camera actually taking the picture, that doesn't sound like much but it's a lifetime when you are trying to capture a picture of your baby who is always on the move, a difficult thing to do with the best camera.
    Last edited by deptech; 12-24-14 at 09:48 PM.
    12-24-14 09:34 PM
    The Passport cameras focus is too slow, it's impossible to take a good picture when your baby is constantly moving, the focus can't keep up.
    Don't wait for a software fix that may or may not come. Every time I look at early pics and videos of the kids I always wish that my smart phone camera had been better even though all smart phone cameras sucked at the time.
    12-24-14 11:08 PM
    Don't wait for a software fix that may or may not come. Every time I look at early pics and videos of the kids I always wish that my smart phone camera had been better even though all smart phone cameras sucked at the time.

Passport camera is SO bad in excessive light situations-img_20141225_113129.png

Or may it?

Check Out TechCraze
    deptech likes this.
    12-25-14 05:31 AM
    With the latest leaked of Passport does this focus issue still a problem?

I remember that Z10 also got this problem on one of its OS version before.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 06:01 AM
    Thanks Tinochiko, this is very good news.
    12-25-14 07:52 AM
    Passport camera is SO bad in excessive light situations-img_20141221_193352.jpg
    Passport camera is SO bad in excessive light situations-img_20141221_190113.jpg
    Passport camera is SO bad in excessive light situations-img_20141221_192446.jpg

Just some images taken few days ago.
    All are taken with my Passport. Just opted 16:9 for some views.

Focus sure takes longer than supposed to, but imo the Passport camera produces more than ideal photos for a smartphone camera. (maybe my expectations are low, but just sharing.)

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 08:07 AM

Just some images taken few days ago.
    All are taken with my Passport. Just opted 16:9 for some views.

Focus sure takes longer than supposed to, but imo the Passport camera produces more than ideal photos for a smartphone camera. (maybe my expectations are low, but just sharing.)

Posted via CB10

THOSE are beautiful pics

Check Out TechCraze
    12-25-14 08:19 AM
    the passport camera is the best quality camera so far (and one reason i've stuck to BlackBerry is the camera)

my first few shots in low light were pretty bad, but with 10.3.1.747 and decent lighting the shots have been stunning.

however that damn shutter noise! I want the ability to turn it off!! it is obnoxiously loud.

with my q10 I could just cover the speaker but with the 2 speakers on the pp that doesn't work! I don't feel like disabling all notifications to snap a pic and the re-enabling them afterwards...that's just silly.

here's what inspired me to post about it on xmas morning...possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity was ruined when this morning I opened my drapes and was greeted by a falcon on my back porch! (I live in downtown toronto if you happen to see them all the time)

I grabbed my passport and snapped a 'safety shot' before getting close to the window to document the fact that there was a falcon in case he sees me and takes off....well he mustve heard the damn shutter sound (kinda sounds like a falcon doesn't it) through the closed doors and he immediately took flight. thank-you blackberry. here's what I got:

Posted via CB750
    12-25-14 09:46 AM
    shared file permissions! there we go.

Passport camera is SO bad in excessive light situations-img_20141225_101725_edit.jpg

Posted via CB750
    12-25-14 09:50 AM
    the passport camera is the best quality camera so far (and one reason i've stuck to BlackBerry is the camera)

my first few shots in low light were pretty bad, but with 10.3.1.747 and decent lighting the shots have been stunning.

however that damn shutter noise! I want the ability to turn it off!! it is obnoxiously loud.

with my q10 I could just cover the speaker but with the 2 speakers on the pp that doesn't work! I don't feel like disabling all notifications to snap a pic and the re-enabling them afterwards...that's just silly.

here's what inspired me to post about it on xmas morning...possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity was ruined when this morning I opened my drapes and was greeted by a falcon on my back porch! (I live in downtown toronto if you happen to see them all the time)

I grabbed my passport and snapped a 'safety shot' before getting close to the window to document the fact that there was a falcon in case he sees me and takes off....well he mustve heard the damn shutter sound (kinda sounds like a falcon doesn't it) through the closed doors and he immediately took flight. thank-you blackberry. here's what I got:

Posted via CB750
    Hmm did you know you can disable all notification sound through quick setting? Just tap the bell icon?

Passport camera is SO bad in excessive light situations-img_20141226_001506.png

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 10:16 AM
    yup.

Posted via CB750
    12-25-14 10:29 AM
    Geesh, PP users really have lower expectations...

Some of the pictures posted here are absolutely appalling.
    Traxxmy likes this.
    12-25-14 03:57 PM
127 1234 ...