Wow, it's absolutely terrible. Took a picture of a 30 foot christmas tree with my z30 and then Passport. Tree lights came out white in the Passport photo while z30 captured the light colors perfect.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 05:14 AM
    It's bad in most places, sooo (relatively) slow to take focused shots

Check Out TechCraze
    12-24-14 05:15 AM
    Yep, I love the Passport, but the camera software seems to be pretty bad. That said, I'm running the 10.3.1.1154 leak, so I'm not surprised that it is not optimized for the Passport.

Photographs on my Q10 are much better.
    12-24-14 06:45 AM
    Please try 4:3 with no flash...
    Cheers...

ODIN 9520 / 5.0.0.1743 Hybrid / 1850mAh
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    12-24-14 06:46 AM
    Yep, I love the Passport, but the camera software seems to be pretty bad. That said, I'm running the 10.3.1.1154 leak, so I'm not surprised that it is not optimized for the Passport.

It was the same on the Z10 I had so think it's a general camera os optimisation

Check Out TechCraze
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-24-14 06:49 AM

Hardware matter more than software for camera. No software can fix a badly picture taken with low resolution and small sensor.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    12-24-14 06:50 AM
    Please try 4:3 with no flash...
    Cheers...

Yeah,I think we all have to tinker and experiment a little,lol
    12-24-14 06:54 AM
    Yeah,I think we all have to tinker and experiment a little,lol
    Why iphone's showing good pics on the phone & not on pc(windows)? They just tinker with the software on the same 8mp cam...

12-24-14 06:57 AM
    The camera is very slow to focus making it useless in many situations. Face recognition seems to be a problem most of the time. I'm hoping that this is just a software issue that will be addressed in 10.3.1
    12-24-14 07:08 AM
    Hardware matter more than software for camera. No software can fix a badly picture taken with low resolution and small sensor.

Yeah, I had the Lumia 1020 and I still own a 1520 - those phones have amazing camera hardware and excellent software.

I know cameras have never been BlackBerry's forte, but I would like them to at least be competent in this area. The slow focus, and very overexposed pics need a lot of post-processing to fix. As a lot of people have mentioned, it's easy to miss the moment with this camera, as it's so slow to focus.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-24-14 07:35 AM
    It's the software. BB needs to tighten up the shutter speeds and give more control over the manual settings.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-24-14 07:39 AM
    I do observed it too.
    12-24-14 07:46 AM
    A quick fix untill BlackBerry properly resolves the glitch:

Turn on HDR on bright light. Contrast becomes even and more balanced.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    12-24-14 07:54 AM
    Yeah, I had the Lumia 1020 and I still own a 1520 - those phones have amazing camera hardware and excellent software.

I know cameras have never been BlackBerry's forte, but I would like them to at least be competent in this area. The slow focus, and very overexposed pics need a lot of post-processing to fix. As a lot of people have mentioned, it's easy to miss the moment with this camera, as it's so slow to focus.
    A quick fix until BlackBerry properly resolve slow focus and out of focus:

Turn on Action mode.
    Out of focus is much lesser in this mode.
    12-24-14 07:58 AM
    yuuuuup. I found that out while at a concert november 2nd. Garbage. Rather use my tablet camera
    12-24-14 08:27 AM
    I dont like taking photos/videos at concerts and shows, but **** me
    I was like 10metres from Sven Vath not too long ago and wanting to take a photo of him working the decks and my Passport camera failed me.
    Absolute piece of garbage in those scenarios
    Real shame tbh
    12-24-14 08:54 AM

I guess there is a need to improve the auto focus algorithm. As for over exposure issue why didn't just reduce the exposure. This could at least partially solve the issue.

12-24-14 10:36 AM
    .....you know what else? I hate it when my camera drop phone calls. I mean really?!?. Shouldn't a camera act like a freaking camera, why do I keep missing my calls. It takes great pictures, though.
    homer1475 likes this.
    12-24-14 10:45 AM
    I don't understand why people complain about the Passport camera. With a little bit of knowledge on how cameras work, you can take great pictures in most lighting situations. Use the appropriate mode for each situation. Here is a night time shot of a well decorated house with a lot of lights taken with my Passport camera.
    Passport camera is SO bad in excessive light situations-img_20141221_202106_hdr.jpg

Posted via CB10
    pinkvikchick likes this.
    12-24-14 11:22 AM
    I don't understand why people complain about the Passport camera. With a little bit of knowledge on how cameras work, you can take great pictures in most lighting situations. Use the appropriate mode for each situation. Here is a night time shot of a well decorated house with a lot of lights taken with my Passport camera.

Posted via CB10
    The thing is,if we want BlackBerry to keep making us phones, they have to sell 10 million devices per year, to attract new or old (as opposed to current) BlackBerry users they need to be better than the competition. With an iPhone camera the focus is super fast it's hard to miss something, important when we're living in a world were people want to capture moments as they happen, I've personally missed shots whilst waiting for the PP to focus.. now of course when you have time then the camera is extremely good, but they need to make that focusing more intelligent

Check Out TechCraze
    12-24-14 11:29 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141221_202106_hdr.jpg 
Views:	2267 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	322845

Posted via CB10
    I hear and agree (to a degree) to what you are saying. But that is a horrible picture. It doesn't help your case at all.
    12-24-14 11:37 AM
    I guess there is a need to improve the auto focus algorithm. As for over exposure issue why didn't just reduce the exposure. This could at least partially solve the issue.

I could do that, but chasing a 4 year old around, trying to get pics for Grandma, doesn't lend itself to much time for tweaking settings. You'd think the one thing a camera could do without a hitch would be taking photographs in diffuse daylight.

Really, in situations like that, you whip out the phone and take a pic. If it sucks, you can sometimes post-process the image to the point where it's presentable. Trying to choose the 'right' settings for those pics would only lead to completely missed opportunities.
    12-24-14 11:50 AM
    I hear and agree (to a degree) to what you are saying. But that is a horrible picture. It doesn't help your case at all.
    That pic could be better, but that image would probably have to have been taken with a pretty long exposure, and without a tripod, it was always going to be blurry.
    12-24-14 11:52 AM
    That pic could be better, but that image would probably have to have been taken with a pretty long exposure, and without a tripod, it was always going to be blurry.
    Perhaps. But I've gotten much better results with my old Lumia 920 with OIS and no tripod. Your picture is out of focus a bit. It was probably in between one of those slow auto-focusing cycles that the Passport suffers from.

I'm sure you could get better results by waiting awhile and allowing the lens to finish focusing with no flash.
    12-24-14 12:41 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141221_202106_hdr.jpg 
Views:	2267 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	322845

Posted via CB10
    That quality of that photo is horrid m8
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-24-14 01:02 PM
127 123 ...