So a few weeks ago I noticed that my passports rear facing camera hadn't been working well.

If I try to take any pictures with it, it will focus and look nice and sharp, but then suddenly become very blurry. So blurry that you can't even see text on a page. I will attach some examples for you guys to see. I haven't been able to take any good photos and this has been causing me a lot of issues.

Any help would be extremely appreciated!
    Passport camera not working right, pictures come out super blury-img_20151016_205412.jpg

Sent from my Passport
    10-16-15 07:57 PM
    Tap the screen to focus.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 12:54 AM
    The reason for this can be that your focus happened to get locked. In order to unlock it just tap shortly on it. If you want to lock it again - for what reason ever - hold your finger-tip a bit longer in the middle of the square. I tried that out on my SE. When the focus is locked then texts and close objects get blurred.

Passport camera not working right, pictures come out super blury-img_20151017_080252_edit_resize.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Passport camera not working right, pictures come out super blury-img_20151016_194838.jpg  
    10-17-15 01:16 AM
    Forget the second picture :-), please. It shows a fairy-tale book for little children and was uploaded incidentally. I don't know how to delete it.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 01:19 AM
    It focuses like normal but then gets blurry like this. I know what you mean. This hasn't always happened. It used to be able to take pictures like normal

Sent from my Passport
    10-17-15 12:06 PM
    The reason for this can be that your focus happened to get locked. In order to unlock it just tap shortly on it. If you want to lock it again - for what reason ever - hold your finger-tip a bit longer in the middle of the square. I tried that out on my SE. When the focus is locked then texts and close objects get blurred.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151017_080252_edit_resize.jpg 
Views:	2074 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	376166

Posted via CB10
    It's definitely not locked. I can lock and unlock the focus, but the pictures remain blurry. It's also not just on close up pictures, but pictures further away as well.

And haha don't worry I accidentally post worse pictures on cb all the time

Sent from my Passport
    10-17-15 12:09 PM
    Tried a reboot? Does this happen all the time?
    Possible the autofocus hardware is shot. Hope you have warranty
    10-17-15 12:49 PM
    It's definitely not locked. I can lock and unlock the focus, but the pictures remain blurry. It's also not just on close up pictures, but pictures further away as well.

And haha don't worry I accidentally post worse pictures on cb all the time

Sent from my Passport
    Is HDR off or on?
    Is lens on back clean?

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 07:38 PM
    Let it focus, have a bit of patience. See whether you're getting a better result. :-)

Yes, admittedly, this situation isn't ideal...

 Ahoy, Privateers, ... get ready for some data piracy...! ;-) 
    10-19-15 10:48 PM
    My autofocus broke, I could hear or feel it grinding inside the phone when it tired to focus and I have read others with that problem. Terrible design. Mine was covered under BlackBerry warranty so they sent me a new one.
    I hope that's not what your problem is but it's a possibility.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 12:23 AM
    Honestly I'm not sure if it's a software or hardware issues. Sometimes it works. Most of the time It doesn't. And I know what it looks like when the camera is out of focus, I've had the passport since the beginning lol. This is different, it's as if the picture is being stretched or pulled. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's not just blurry...

And I don't know if BlackBerry warranty will cover the phone because my screen is cracked...

Sent from my Passport
    10-20-15 11:29 AM
    The only negative with this phone. Absolute brutal camera.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 12:22 PM
    I cracked my phone too a few months ago and recently i've noticed the same behavior from the camera. I think we've just broken it and its time for a new one.

Time for a Passport SE!

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 12:57 PM
    Thanks for the help guys... Guess I either hope blackberry covers me or get a new phone...

Sent from my Passport
    10-20-15 11:20 PM
    This has been frustrating me to no end this past week. I tried every fix I could find on every other thread on this topic and none worked.

I can't explain why it worked or even why I tried it, it but I shut down my camera app, removed by SD card and restarted the camera app and all of a sudden my camera started focusing again. I re-inserted the SD card and it still works. Again, I have no clue if that is what fixed it or if was all the "gentle tapping" that I was doing against the camera

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.440
    10-25-15 09:51 PM
    I shook my phone rigorouslya few times and it focuses and takes pictures as used to!

Posted via CB10
    12-28-15 05:28 PM
    from the book image, seems like it is too close to it to focus to me

try to click focus box to the lower corner (or upper if you want) to move it away, it changes how it focuses, and you'll eventually get it to a good spot where text comes into focus

camera++ solves this by letting you manually adjusting focus but you can't with default app so you have to keep clicking around until you find a good spot
    12-28-15 07:10 PM
    Just think how great this phone would have been if they put a great camera on it!!! As said before earlier in this thread it is brutal in a way, it just takes too much work to get a good shot. I can get a good shot about 7 times out of 10 but if I hand the camera to anyone else it usually turns to s**t almost always. I have to teach them how to take a good shot. That is not good camera software! The hardware maybe is also why there is a problem with focusing.

I would love BB to come tell us why the camera can't be fixed once and for all. Please tell. Or fix it. But that will not happen. It is what it is.
    12-28-15 09:28 PM
    PS to the OP

Use Camera++ to see if that helps.
    12-28-15 09:31 PM
    PS to the OP

Use Camera++ to see if that helps.
    Maybe of YOU activate the Developer mode
    02-23-17 01:28 PM
  21. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    If your camera can't focuse, I think your camera is broken. But check hardware firstly before replace it. Clean your camera lens

 BlackBerry Passport SE SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2205
    02-24-17 12:20 AM
    I have my second Passport with the same camera problem. When open the camera, it start to try to focus and make a grinding sound. I have to tap or shake the phone so it eventually get engaged on the focus. No one gives a solution but to send the instrument to Blackberry service, for a fixed fee. Even try to buy a replacement camera, but it is not possible. Even the display glass can not be bought. Blackberry seriously should give us more room on this. Anyone knows about this camera problem and how to solve it?
    02-27-17 09:49 AM
    Blackberry is known to use cameras that are very difficult to focus. The priv and keyone will change this.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    03-05-17 07:02 PM
    Pls advise someone how solve this issue??

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 08:29 PM
    I am having the same issue

Posted via CB10
    04-19-17 05:33 PM
28 12