I have done some searches here and most talk about the usual stuff: press and hold the camera shutter button or wait for 10.3. In this is case, my wife's red Passport will no longer focus, at all. I cannot even hear it try to focus. Her phone is on the latest software (see the attached screens shots). My guess is that she dropped her phone and damaged the camera. It is well out of warranty so no help there. Oh, and one final thing, I tried the virtual expert and that offered nothing as well. Anyone have ideas to try? I may try to replace the camera. She loves the phone and doesn't want to upgrade to the Priv so I suppose the worst case is that I buy here a new Passport.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails Passport camera not focusing-32651.jpg  
    02-21-16 09:24 PM
    Hmm, that is an odd issue. I have a passport and the issue hasn't happened yet. I'm currently on the latest os for unlocked units. It could possibly be the drop that caused the auto-focus problem, since you've already tried holding down the shutter button. Have you also tried tapping and holding a point on the picture you're trying to take and letting it focus (meaning in the actual picture area, not in the shutter button area)?

Otherwise I got nothin' =(. If you do have to buy a passport, crackberry marketplace!
    02-21-16 10:01 PM
    Yes, I tried that too. No luck. Thanks though.

02-21-16 10:24 PM
    OP, I'm feeling ya.
    I baby my Passport and the auto focus seems to be going down hill.

I have noticed that moving the camera to different colors, lighting, or things in the distance or up close usually kicks it into focusing.
    But that's a headache, especially when your trying to capture a picture at the moment.

Good luck, let us know if you run across a fix. I feel I'll need one soon also.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 09:50 PM
    Try this out...
    Call the camera app and use another mode than automatic. Say chose whiteboard mode.

Point the phone at a surface with an object to the side.
    The centre of the photo being a surface, probably the object is blurred.
    Then tap on the screen of your phone, on the position of the object.
    You'll notice that the lens is focussing.
    Take the picture with the camera symbol (blue button in the middle).

Somehow, the autofocus feature disappeared after 10.3.1

Another way to get it done is to move the phone back and forth then wait until the object is recognized... but it takes more time and is irregular. The method described above is faster (although not instant, for sure)

By taping on the screen, you move the focussing zone manually.

Passport camera not focusing-img_20160224_102523.png
    02-24-16 03:27 AM
    Anischab,

My wife is out of the country but will return this weekend. I will try this and report back. Barring this, I will replace the camera to see if that fixes it. Anybody know where I can buy the camera? I have been searching but no luck so far.

Thanks.

Kurt
    02-24-16 11:32 AM
    Try this out...
    Call the camera app and use another mode than automatic. Say chose whiteboard mode.

Point the phone at a surface with an object to the side.
    The centre of the photo being a surface, probably the object is blurred.
    Then tap on the screen of your phone, on the position of the object.
    You'll notice that the lens is focussing.
    Take the picture with the camera symbol (blue button in the middle).

Somehow, the autofocus feature disappeared after 10.3.1

Another way to get it done is to move the phone back and forth then wait until the object is recognized... but it takes more time and is irregular. The method described above is faster (although not instant, for sure)

By taping on the screen, you move the focussing zone manually.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160224_102523.png 
Views:	564 
Size:	425.9 KB 
ID:	392352
    Unfortunately, this method did not work. Not sure what do do now whether this is a software or hardware issue. I suppose the easiest is to assume it is a hardware issue and replace the camera.

02-27-16 11:52 AM
    HI,
    I had the same issue with my passport SE, auto focus just stopped working one day. Software upgrade / reinstall nothing worked. Had to return the handset back to blackberry. Was very disapointed, I think quality control could be better.
    03-13-16 09:01 AM
    I have done some searches here and most talk about the usual stuff: press and hold the camera shutter button or wait for 10.3. In this is case, my wife's red Passport will no longer focus, at all. I cannot even hear it try to focus. Her phone is on the latest software (see the attached screens shots). My guess is that she dropped her phone and damaged the camera. It is well out of warranty so no help there. Oh, and one final thing, I tried the virtual expert and that offered nothing as well. Anyone have ideas to try? I may try to replace the camera. She loves the phone and doesn't want to upgrade to the Priv so I suppose the worst case is that I buy here a new Passport.

Hi there, this has happened to my OG Passport more than once. Once or twice I couldn't even switch to HDR, kept giving me errors saying insufficient memory. I figured (now this might be wrong) it's a question of RAM. Whenever my device is constantly on for weeks (around 11 weeks now), the RAM drops to a 400-650MB, while it's usually on around 2GB (after a reboot and the following weeks). Usually rebooting does work for me as I -thankfully- had no major issue whatsoever. Yesterday I had to reboot too as I had to use my camera to scan a document, but it didn't focus so you get the impression. Now it works like it used to- like a charm. Hope this works!

Posted via CB10
    03-13-16 09:12 AM
    Sadly no, nothing has worked. I am convinced it is a hardware issue. I bought a new SE for my wife to use and will retire her red Passport given this issue. Thanks to everyone for their help though!

Kurt
    03-14-16 10:43 AM