I see everyone whining about the camera and while the focus leaves something to be desired, the camera really isnt bad at all. I have a Sony Alpha 77 for real pictures anyway.

Passport Camera isnt so bad-img_20150121_183822.jpg

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 05:44 PM
    Pretty sure that's a static picture. There's no movement and it's not a live subject. It's been established that it's possible to get decent photos, but the subject must be still and you have to trick the camera into focusing by essentially switching some sort of setting. That doesn't help if you're trying to take a quick snapshot in a social setting.

I have a Nikon D800 and a bunch of lenses that cost as much as the camera that I don't feel like lugging around with me everywhere. If I want to make prints, I'll use that. If I'm at a bar with friends, the Passport's camera is lacking.
    01-21-15 06:52 PM
    No, the camera *app* is lacking. The camera module is good. Focus is performed in software using the contrast method. As evidenced, when the software eventually sets the camera, you get a great result. Software can be fixed, hardware can't, well not on the same device

Wait for the next update.......

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 06:58 PM
    I have been hearing since the Z10 launch that BlackBerry camera issues are all software related. Here we are two years later and the same issues are present.

Give your heads a shake people. If it was software related, wouldn't they have fixed it between 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.2.1, 10.3, 10.3.1?????????

Yeah I'll just sit here and wait while this "software issue" gets sorted out. Should be any day now.

Honestly though, I'm not trying to be rude but these threads all follow the same theme. Over and over and over.

Via CB10, Passport 10.3.1.1154
    01-21-15 07:13 PM
    No, the camera *app* is lacking. The camera module is good. Focus is performed in software using the contrast method. As evidenced, when the software eventually sets the camera, you get a great result. Software can be fixed, hardware can't, well not on the same device

Wait for the next update.......

Posted via CB10
    Deckard79 says: "Re: the camera. The Passport's camera does not have phase differential auto-focus,which the iPhone 6 and some other top-end smartphones do have.

This means that it IS a hardware problem and probably will not be fixed by a software update.
    01-21-15 07:42 PM
    I'm not sure how many times I actually need to post this. Is that giant Spaceship Earth moving? No? Your point is mute.

I actually had a discussion about this with a friend not too long ago, he has a Z30 which apparently has a more usable camera. I had to go through the pictures on my phone with him. See this one where nothing was moving, great picture. See this one of my dog, the dogs head is indistinguishable. Oh, you know all those pictures I took that day we went fishing, a third of them didn't turn out.

It's nice when you take pictures of buildings. You have plenty of time to let it focus, the building doesn't move around, no problems. The problem is with all those in the moment and candid pictures that I didn't think to bring my Sony point-and-shot with me for.

The Passport cameras garbage in terms of phone cameras. It's too slow and does a crappy job taking pictures of moving objects. Do I need to start posting pictures too for others to understand this?
    01-21-15 08:02 PM
    So are you saying only Phase Detection Auto Focus can work well? Seems there are many examples of Contrast Detection Auto Focus camera on the market with very good performance.

Most camera systems in cell phones share the same basic components. Do you really think BlackBerry has the resources to develop all the sensor chip technology, optical technology in house?

Most camera performance comes down to software control, noise processing and image processing, all under control of the programming.
    Just because BlackBerry has not put a greater emphasis on this doesn't mean it is because of lower quality hardware.

This Passport takes me places!
    01-21-15 08:02 PM
    Honestly though, I'm not trying to be rude but these threads all follow the same theme. Over and over and over.
    Well, if all these thread follow the same theme over and over then we are about to see some very mediocre still photos posted as evidence that you can take good photos with the Passport.
    JWWDUKE and magicdesign like this.
    01-21-15 08:46 PM
    First off, a point is rendered Moot, not Mute.

Second, even without any motion, my old pre-9700 Blackberries couldn't take night pictures to save their lives, so I stand by my point.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bliebs77; 01-21-15 at 09:16 PM.
    01-21-15 08:59 PM
    When there is any movement at all even my Bold 9900 with it's infamous "All Focus" aka fixed focus camera takes better pictures than the PP.
    As some others have said the PP takes fantastic pictures as long as the subject is not moving at all (like a building or statue, etc.)
    01-21-15 09:10 PM