Hello

Anyone knows if the back camera lens is gorilla glass too? I drive my passport naked but since day one I didn't removed the original film. But it's too ugly dirty and already received straches

Posted from my flawless BlackBerry Passport
    11-15-14 07:05 AM
    Not sure if it is GG, but I removed all of the packaging and every now and then I get smudges on it and just wipe them with the cloth I got with the screen protector.

So annoying when I accidentally grab it and touch the camera. Guess I have greasy hands lol, but there are no scratches at all and I've had to wipe it with the cloth almost every day until getting used to avoiding the camera lens.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 07:44 AM
    I haven't removed the plastic from the camera glass either! It just dawned on me that I can just use any standard screen protector for it, just have to cut it to the right size.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 09:09 AM
    Removed it the first day and still no scratches. I use the hard case on it.

Posted via CB10 and the #BBPassport
    jdesignz likes this.
    11-15-14 09:42 AM
    Removed it the first day and still no scratches. I use the hard case on it.

Posted via CB10 and the #BBPassport
    I removed all of the packaging as well, but with the placement of the camera it is difficult for me not to end up putting my finger on it at some point during the day. As I wrote, I have just been wiping it with the screen protector cloth.

I'm curious now if anyone else has difficulty avoiding the camera and keeps getting smudges on it as I do.

No scratches as far as I can see, now I am going to have to clean it again with the cloth and inspect it again lol. The things we do.

... I thought about cutting a screen protector to fit when I got it, but I am just not that anal and can deal with wiping off the smudges. Like to keep my phones naked, but do have a white hard shell on the Passport. It's very minimal and no marks or logo issues on the back as it is covered.

Posted via CB10
    sharma6 and snippingclouds like this.
    11-15-14 02:54 PM
    It's plastic and it will scratch relatively easily.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 06:09 PM
    Hard shell Case from day one to avoid that
    11-15-14 06:13 PM
    So keep it away from keys and coin.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 06:13 PM
    Hard shell Case from day one to avoid that
    I have the hard shell and am still constantly touching the rear camera and smudging it by accident. Very annoying!

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 07:10 PM
    I have the hard shell and am still constantly touching the rear camera and smudging it by accident. Very annoying!

Posted via CB10
    The camera is actually hyper sensitive to smudges too. Any smudge on the camera lens cover and you get a crazy halo effect in your photos. Wipe and the halo is gone.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 07:13 PM
    I have a hard shell but haven't used it.. no scratches on mine but I don't use it daily
    11-15-14 07:53 PM
    11-15-14 08:01 PM
    For what it's worth I have hardshell case and use my passport out in the field on job sites. It gets heavy abuse. I have to use it to take pics constantly.

With all the use in the last month or so I don't have a single scratch on it.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 10:21 PM
    For what it's worth I have hardshell case and use my passport out in the field on job sites. It gets heavy abuse. I have to use it to take pics constantly.

With all the use in the last month or so I don't have a single scratch on it.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for some reassurance! I actually caved today because of this post since I'm constantly smudging the camera. I cut a clear screen protector and put over the back covering the camera. It's under the hard shell and not noticeable, but can't take pics with flash. They have a bluish tint.

Never covered the camera before on any device. So will be glad to remove!

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 02:03 AM
    Thanks for some reassurance! I actually caved today because of this post since I'm constantly smudging the camera. I cut a clear screen protector and put over the back covering the camera. It's under the hard shell and not noticeable, but can't take pics with flash. They have a bluish tint.

Never covered the camera before on any device. So will be glad to remove!

Posted via CB10
    I find the hardshell case sufficient as the camera sits slightly in the case. When you put the phone down on its back or accidentally drop it, the camera is decently protected.

For smudges there's no way around that as with any camera on a phone. The camera is back centred which may lead to fingers touching it more often.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 02:50 AM
    Im getting the passport next month, and im pretty excited about coming home to Blackberry (Literally).

Im not sure too if its GG, But im def getting a screen protector both for the Amazing screen of the passport aswell as for the camera lens.
    02-25-15 05:54 AM
    I've noticed that the camera "glass" seems to be two pieces. The larger square portion seems to be standard scratch easy plastic. But the part over the actual lense, within the metal circle, might be glass or GG, it feels different when I tap with my nail on it and it doesn't have any super fine scratches or swirl marks like the part over the flash from sliding in and out of my pocket. Idk how to confirm my theory though lol.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 10:36 AM
    Yes, the surrounding clear piece is plastic and has no function in the camera operation as far as I can tell. I've actually got my covered with a carbon fiber look protective vinyl skin, so it's completely blocked off. The actual camera lens is the round portion inside the metal ring. This needs to be smudge free for best results.

This Passport takes me places!
    02-25-15 11:41 AM
    my first one got scratched but I never kept it in a case and it went in my pocket with a metal pen once which I'm sure did the trick, lol

getting an AT&T one in a day or so and it will go right into a case this time or will get full body/screen protection applied for safety
    02-25-15 07:20 PM
    Have a case on mine since the day I opened the box. Babying my passport!

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 01:33 AM
    Those who got scratch, should state clearly is the scratch on the camera lens or the plastic part surround the camera that covers the LED light. As far as I read, most high end phone uses sapphire lens or equivalent now a day.

From my personal experiences from my Xperia Arc, Xperia TX, Xperia Z Ultra, even Asus Note6, all without protection on camera lens and never seen a single scratch on any of them.

In fact, if you really care about quality, you shouldn't even have that original film on the lens in the first place, as that affects your photo much more than a scratch...
    02-26-15 04:28 AM
    It's easy scratches in the pocket with key and coin.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 05:14 AM
    But I do not see where anyone has been able to find out if the camera lens cover (center circle) is in fact glass or plastic... if glass, gorilla or plain cheap kind?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 05:26 AM
    I'm just pointing out you guys are putting too much emphasis on a tiny piece of glass where the items that are causing the damage would have dealt even more serious damage to your phone's body or case considering the amount of pressure needed to scratch the lens...

Why put so much effort in protecting the glass when in fact it's much less effort to keep it from mixing with all these keys or pen or whatever from the start?

Just sharing thoughts...not to proof who is right or wrong...I understand this is an expensive phone, but even if the lens is made of diamond someone could still scratch it somehow, this world is unpredictable/unbelievable...
    02-26-15 07:53 AM
    Looking at mine there are no scratches on the round lens within the metal ring. But the outer part over the flash has some of what I would call dust scratches from wiping it off, which tells me that it is indeed just plastic, and the lens over the camera within the ring is a harder material that can't be scratched so easily.

Also, the super fine "scratches" on the flash lens I wouldn't even consider scratches. Like I said, super fine, probably from dust being wiped off. You can hardly see them unless you angle the phone in the light the right way and look close. I've run my Passport naked since November when I got it. I don't keep anything in my pocket with it (why would you put a phone this expensive in a pocket with keys?!?) and the phone is pristine :-)

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 08:29 AM
26 12