Today I decided to do a speed test on the browser and compare it to a Galaxy S7. Made sure to clear cookies with Google as the search engine and reboot both devices.
    I used Telus's website as the test and of the hop with the first load of Telus's website the Passport won hands down. I was blown away. After that the results varied between tie and the S7 winning but not by much. For the most part the S7 won the tests but with negligible difference.

Have to say for the age of the Passport the device still holds its own.
    I would like to challenge anyone to choose a phone that is newer and perform a test with the same preparation before hand.
    Please post your results here and share.
    Thank you

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC and anon(9742832) like this.
    02-21-17 03:47 PM
    passport with 10.3.3?
    02-21-17 03:49 PM
    passport with 10.3.3?
    Oh sorry no I'm on 10.3.2 still.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-17 03:50 PM
    Oh sorry no I'm on 10.3.2 still.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting. I always thought that passport with 10.3.2 had slow browser.
    02-21-17 03:51 PM
    The only other factor to consider would be signal strength on the cellular network but we were in the heart of the city so it was full bars

Posted via CB10
    02-21-17 03:54 PM
    A week or 2 ago I did a browser test between my Passport running 10.3.2 and my daughter's iPhone 6S running iOS 10. The website chosen was unknown previously to both devices and the Passport was quicker by a noticeable difference. I know people complain about it being too old but it is still reasonable (at least for me). I have not compared it to a newer android device but pretty sure the Passport would get smoked.
    02-21-17 04:38 PM
    A week or 2 ago I did a browser test between my Passport running 10.3.2 and my daughter's iPhone 6S running iOS 10. The website chosen was unknown previously to both devices and the Passport was quicker by a noticeable difference. I know people complain about it being too old but it is still reasonable (at least for me). I have not compared it to a newer android device but pretty sure the Passport would get smoked.
    For me, owning it in 2017 doesn't make it "too old". I'm still able to use it fully, although it does lag A BIT sometimes when intensive multi tasking is being done.

On the other hand, I totally get that buying a Passport in 2017 will make one think it's "too old".. Never mind the specs, it's just that you would still be buying a phone that was released 4th Q of 2014..

Posted via CB10
    02-21-17 05:25 PM
    Yeah not sure if you read my post about a recent android phone but Uhm did not get "smoked". The contest was very close but yes the S7 did win.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-17 07:06 PM
    Interesting. Wouldn't have guessed that.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-17 07:08 PM
    I raced my Q10 against a friend's Note a few years ago and lost every time

Posted via CB10
    02-21-17 07:29 PM
  11. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    Samsung s7 edge...

 BlackBerry Passport SE SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2205
    02-21-17 08:32 PM
    Samsung s7 edge...

Yes it was the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Posted via CB10
    02-21-17 09:18 PM
  13. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    Yes it was the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Posted via CB10
    Do you like it than SE?

02-21-17 09:32 PM
    I had both the PP and iphone SE for a while. Iphone's browser won hands down every single time. But don't really care how fast the browser is. I sold the SE and typing on my PP right now.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-17 12:24 AM
    Interesting.

My Passport feels quicker than the Priv for daily use including Web browsing, but the Samsung S6 feels considerably quicker than both of them. So in my experience, in terms of the perception of feeling quick:

S6 Edge > Passport > Priv.

P.S. The Priv isn't slow, but it does stutter and lag regularly, a trait not experienced on the S6 or Passport.
    02-22-17 12:39 AM
    Got to love them browser wars LOL.

I'd take cloud functionality over speed though. I tend not to use OEM browsers.
    02-22-17 03:32 AM
    I have no clue how your passports are losing...

I compared my Z30 to a bunch of phones while connecting the two phones on my jio wifi.

Then I loaded the following sites on both phones and recorded the time with a 1/1000 sec stopwatch ;

Google
    The verge
    Playing the top trending video on youtube.
    Wikihow
    Gsmarena
    Espn
    Back to the google homepage.

Samsung galaxy s7 edge - z30 won ( I will have to search for the paper to get exact timings so forgive me)

Iphone 6s- z30 won

Iphone 7- z30 won

Iphone 7 plus - z30 lost

Iphone se- z30 lost

Samsung galaxy s6 edge + z30 lost

Sony xperia z5 - z30 won

Sony xperia z ultra - z30 lost

Its funny how last generation phones won over z30 in browser tests but the latest gen phones lost.

I think my z30 might juat be faster than all the passports on this thread.

Posted via my BlackBerry two way pager
    02-22-17 03:43 AM

I think my z30 might juat be faster than all the passports on this thread.
    How's that possible? The only explanation I can think of is lower GPU draw overhead due to the lower screen resolution (of the Z30).
    02-22-17 09:17 AM
    I would be interested in the differences in the times and if they are within error which would need to be determined for the OP's stopwatch skills.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-17 09:37 AM
    How's that possible? The only explanation I can think of is lower GPU draw overhead due to the lower screen resolution (of the Z30).
    I dont have any android apps on my Z30. I only have two apps that i installed from BlackBerry world that didn't come with the phone. Whatsapp and igrann... thats it... my internal storage is empty... iam barely using 1 gb out of the 16 given to me and have a memory card of 32 gb installed on it. Since my phone doesn't have any apps that may suck up cpu resources except for the ones that are already pre-installed and i am using almost none of the internal storage i will have faster load times since my cpu will mostly be free. Also I have a lower res display and the second best gpu on any BlackBerry 10 device (adreno 320) [passport 1st with Adreno 330 but then it has almost twice ppi of its screen]

All this sums up very good performance on my Z30.

Posted via my BlackBerry two way pager
    02-22-17 09:52 AM
    Tested the Passport against my wife's iPhone 7.

SMOKED!!!!!!! Passport looses badly. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-17 10:54 AM
    Tested the Passport against my wife's iPhone 7.

SMOKED!!!!!!! Passport looses badly. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    Clearly an anomalous result. Did you check for Sasquatch stealing wifi (invisible pink unicorns can also be a problem)? In both cases, said thieves only steal the BlackBerry's bandwidth. Or perhaps a seance being was being conducted by a neighbour; those EMFs can seriously ruin a benchmarker's day....
    02-22-17 11:20 AM
    Yeah my wife has the iPhone 7 plus and it seems considerably faster than my passport but I don't do a ton of browsing on my passport so haven't really ever found it to be an issue.

Still a pretty interesting discussion to compare.

Also what browsers are people using on each device? Just the default browser for each or did they use chrome or firefox?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-17 11:21 AM
    Clearly an anomalous result. Did you check for Sasquatch stealing wifi (invisible pink unicorns can also be a problem)? In both cases, said thieves only steal the BlackBerry's bandwidth. Or perhaps a seance being was being conducted by a neighbour; those EMFs can seriously ruin a benchmarker's day....
    So much sarcasm here I can't tell if you understood my post or your just bored and think you should be on comedy central........

Posted via CB10
    02-22-17 11:38 AM
    Yeah my wife has the iPhone 7 plus and it seems considerably faster than my passport but I don't do a ton of browsing on my passport so haven't really ever found it to be an issue.

Still a pretty interesting discussion to compare.

Also what browsers are people using on each device? Just the default browser for each or did they use chrome or firefox?

Posted via CB10
    For all my tests I prefer to use stock browsers on all devices.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-17 11:40 AM
40 12