Smokeaire, I just spoke with Plantronics tech support, and read the guy much of what you wrote about the testing you did with your various devices, switching with your wife's headsets and phones, etc. Apparently I got through to him, because he said there was obviously an incompatibility between Plantronics devices and Blackberry phones and/or OS 10. He said he was going to send his detailed notes to engineering so they can study it. I asked if I would hear anything back from Plantronics, and he said probably not, because it was going to engineering and "they don't normally talk with customers." I had to laugh at that one. Of course they don't--that's why they went into engineering. I know the feeling well. :-)

So--I have a Marque 2 M165 headset, and its firmware cannot be upgraded. The Plantronics guy suggested that if I wanted to stick with this brand that I get a Voyager Edge. It will have the same issue with Blackberry, of course, but if they can find the problem and change the firmware, it can be updated on a Voyager.

I think that's the final answer to this issue. pending a fix from Plantronics.

Any thoughts about a Legend versus a Voyager Edge versus a Motorola headset?
    When I decided to get a new BT earpiece the research I did indicated that Plantronics was the overall best. The Edge being the newest offering. I bought it and just wasn't happy with the sound I was hearing. My wife on the other end thought I sounded like I was next to her. I exchanged it with another Edge, same unpleasant sound. So I went with the Legend (it's also a bit cheaper) and love it. Battery lasts a good 7 hours and the sound quality I was hearing was better, and my wife said I even sounded better. I'm may be a bit retro but I also like the boom mike look. Noise cancellation is very good except in the direct wind, it will transfer wind noise. That is reported on the Legend and Edge. Yesterday I was talking to Missy (my wife) who was using her Legend, she was driving and even went to the drive up teller, did her transaction, and she had to tell that is what she did. I didn't hear a thing except her talking. Very impressive. Both are very comfortable and many times I actually forget I'm wearing the Legend and have almost got in the shower wearing it.
    The Motorola Boom I'm using now has decent sound both ways (not as good as the Legend IMO), a 300 ft working distance if your phone is Class1 Bluetooth (not many are), and is cheaper than either Plantronics (Edge being the most expensive). Seems to be working fine with my Passport.
    Overall the Legend is my BT of choice, and it seems to be the standard by which other BT devices are measured in the various reviews I've read. Once Plantronics fixes the issue the Motorola will go in my backup box, and I will be a happy camper using my Legend once more.

My suggestion is to try both the Legend and Edge, as some have preferred one over the other. Neither are super loud, but are loud enough.

Wow! I'm very impressed with your actions, calling Plantronics. Very well done Sir. Hopefully the cause of this issue is easy to discover, and easier to fix. Please keep me and other Plantronics users informed of any news you receive, and I will do the same.
    KenV54 likes this.
    05-18-15 01:17 PM
    The Motorola Boom I'm using now has decent sound both ways (not as good as the Legend IMO), a 300 ft working distance if your phone is Class1 Bluetooth (not many are), and is cheaper than either Plantronics (Edge being the most expensive). Seems to be working fine with my Passport.
    Overall the Legend is my BT of choice, and it seems to be the standard by which other BT devices are measured in the various reviews I've read. Once Plantronics fixes the issue the Motorola will go in my backup box, and I will be a happy camper using my Legend once more.
    I just ordered the Motorola Boom 600 from Amazon--I need a working BT headset, and can't wait for Plantronics to fix the firmware on an upgradeable headset. The boom is pretty cheap and I, too, will probably go back to Plantronics if and when they fix it.

Is the Passport a Class I Bluetooth device? And do you think the Plantronics problem is with the Passport itself (all Passports) or with the 10.3.2 OS? I recall having some disconnects with 10.3.1, but not all the time like I have with 10.3.2.
    05-18-15 01:59 PM
    This is Passports BT specs: "v4.0, A2DP, LE". The LE stands for Low Energy. So my guess it isn't Class 1. I can remember my Moto Razr V3 BT was very powerful. I could go across my house and outside with the door shut and still be able to use it. Nowadays the BT hardly can make the 30 Ft range without crackling.
    My non-engineering simple mind would think the problem might be in the OS. However, I'm not reading any complaints with Classic or Leap owners. So really...I don't know. I'm just hoping it isn't in the chip or Passport construction in someway. But since these issues didn't present itself with the two BT devices I tested it seems a OS issues. How's that for ambiguity?
    05-18-15 02:35 PM
    This is Passports BT specs: "v4.0, A2DP, LE". The LE stands for Low Energy. So my guess it isn't Class 1. I can remember my Moto Razr V3 BT was very powerful. I could go across my house and outside with the door shut and still be able to use it. Nowadays the BT hardly can make the 30 Ft range without crackling.
    My non-engineering simple mind would think the problem might be in the OS. However, I'm not reading any complaints with Classic or Leap owners. So really...I don't know. I'm just hoping it isn't in the chip or Passport construction in some way. But since these issues didn't present itself with the two BT devices I tested it seems a OS issues. How's that for ambiguity?
    My sense, too, is that it is mainly the OS, but of course the software and hardware are interdependent, so maybe there's something about the Passport BT hardware that is different from the Classic or Leap. When I was using a Z10 I only had this problem on occasion, but that was with 10.3.1 so it's confusing. I just hope the Boom works.
    05-18-15 03:11 PM
    My sense, too, is that it is mainly the OS, but of course the software and hardware are interdependent, so maybe there's something about the Passport BT hardware that is different from the Classic or Leap. When I was using a Z10 I only had this problem on occasion, but that was with 10.3.1 so it's confusing. I just hope the Boom works.
    The Boom is working ok for me. I've used it for about an hour and no disconnects.
    05-18-15 03:37 PM
    I just got the Motorola Boom. It pairs immediately but then disconnects after 30 seconds, just like the Plantronics. Very frustrating. I have no idea what to do now, whether it is an OS 10.3.2.860 issue or a BT hardware problem with the Passport itself. I've rebooted several times and cleared out the other BT devices. Maybe I should give it one last try in terms of a wipe and reinstall of 860 via autoloader before asking for another replacement phone.
    05-19-15 01:14 PM
    I just got the Motorola Boom. It pairs immediately but then disconnects after 30 seconds, just like the Plantronics. Very frustrating. I have no idea what to do now, whether it is an OS 10.3.2.860 issue or a BT hardware problem with the Passport itself. I've rebooted several times and cleared out the other BT devices. Maybe I should give it one last try in terms of a wipe and reinstall of 860 via autoloader before asking for another replacement phone.
    And I'm not having any issues with the Boom. Weird. Something must be hinky with some protocols somewhere. Maybe it is in the Passport.
    05-19-15 04:54 PM
    And I'm not having any issues with the Boom. Weird. Something must be hinky with some protocols somewhere. Maybe it is in the Passport.
    Since my last post I have autoloaded 680 and security wiped the Passport. Even without any restore of anything, the connection with the Boom won't hold.

It's either the Passport hardware or the OS. I'm wondering whether to get still another Passport on warranty exchange or wait for a new beta OS to come out. (No going back to an earlier OS from 680.)
    05-19-15 05:30 PM
    I use the latest official release 10.3.1.1779 and latest firmware on Plantronics Legend and it works as expected: proper call routing, sensors work and PP responses accordingly and no disconnect after 30 seconds.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 12:05 AM
    I had trouble with the legend on almost every call. It showed it connected but no one could hear one another. Ended up returning it as 1 of 5 calls would work

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    05-20-15 12:08 AM
    Since my last post I have autoloaded 680 and security wiped the Passport. Even without any restore of anything, the connection with the Boom won't hold.

It's either the Passport hardware or the OS. I'm wondering whether to get still another Passport on warranty exchange or wait for a new beta OS to come out. (No going back to an earlier OS from 680.)
    In my opinion I think you should get a new Passport. To make a long story short this is why. Yesterday I called Plantronics. After explaining the situation, taking down several numbers off my Legend, the CSR did escalate my issue, gave me a case number and connected me with a tier 2 tech. He then took more info, including my phone number, was going to escalate it to tier 3 where I would be dealing directly with an engineer who would be working on the problem, then would issue the fix to me for testing. That sounded great until he needed the OS version I was running on my Passport. I gave it to him, and then mentioned it was a beta version. The sound of tires screeching to a halt was heard. No way would or could they work with a beta build. They need a stable release to work with, not an unofficial release.

So, KenV54 if you get a new Passport using the official OS (not a leak) test it with your Legend. If it still has issues then you can call Plantronics and continue the cause where I failed.
    The person I talked with mentioned that it very well could be incompatibility between protocols used by each device.

If I could go back to the original OS version of my Passport I would just to see a resolution to this BT problem.

Posted using my BlackBerry Passport.
    05-20-15 04:35 AM
    Well crud. My Motorola Boom just disconnected from my Passport. That blows my interpretation of my weekend testing. The problem is with BB OS. I might have to consider returning mine as well, and if successful, not loading any leaks that I can't back out of. Major disappointment.

05-20-15 07:59 AM
    Well crud. My Motorola Boom just disconnected from my Passport. That blows my interpretation of my weekend testing. The problem is with BB OS. I might have to consider returning mine as well, and if successful, not loading any leaks that I can't back out of. Major disappointment.

These are the times that try men's souls.... (Who said that, anyway?)

I think I'll wait for a couple more leaks. I'm not confident that a new PP will solve the problem at this point, based on everything I've read lately on BBs and BT disconnects. They've been talking about this problem for over a year, so far as I can see from my Google searches.

Off to work now. Will continue the BT wars later.
    05-20-15 08:15 AM
    Here's the pisser. When I told the tier 2 person about all the complaints in the various forums about the BT with Blackberrys he said that the engineers rarely if ever look at forums. And that includes their own Plantronics Soundingboard forum. So, unless you want the clich�d answers to issues repeated ad nauseum, you have to call them direct and ask for tier 2. Ugh!

05-20-15 11:25 AM
    I have a voyaguer legend paired to my passport. I don't need the exact functionality the OP is looking for but I can confirm that by putting the headset in my ear it will answer the call through the Bluetooth headset. what I don't like about it is that I cant figure out how to hit the button and tell passport to call so and so. for me its very annoying that all Bluetooth headset do not operate the same.
    05-20-15 06:10 PM
    A partial verdict on the Boom and my Passport with 10.3.2.680 is in, and it's mixed. Same issues as the Plantronics with connecting and disconnecting every half minute while on idle. And when I'm on a call or playing a radio stream, it connects and stays connected. If the call ends or the streaming stops or I stop it, the Boom disconnects. So, it's usable, but with some extra work and annoyances.

It's hard to imagine that this is a hardware defect as opposed to a software or OS issue. That is, it should be fixable in an OS upgrade, but when?
    05-20-15 06:20 PM
    A partial verdict on the Boom and my Passport with 10.3.2.680 is in, and it's mixed. Same issues as the Plantronics with connecting and disconnecting every half minute while on idle. And when I'm on a call or playing a radio stream, it connects and stays connected. If the call ends or the streaming stops or I stop it, the Boom disconnects. So, it's usable, but with some extra work and annoyances.

It's hard to imagine that this is a hardware defect as opposed to a software or OS issue. That is, it should be fixable in an OS upgrade, but when?
    Unless the BlackBerry beta OS developers are monitoring Crackberry, and specifically this thread, it might be awhile. Remember that we aren't supposed to have this beta version. We have to hope that the Official beta testers are having the very same BT issues and are reporting it. Then, if the issue is fixed, we common folk will have access to the updated beta OS, access we're not supposed to have.

I can see the issue being fixed in a 3.1 update and we won't be able to install it. Ugh!

morizek likes this.
    05-21-15 02:58 AM
    It's simple. I just turn the switch on the earpiece off when I take it off my head.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 06:29 AM
    It's simple. I just turn the switch on the earpiece off when I take it off my head.

Posted via CB10
    Uh? What does that have to do with this thread?

05-21-15 07:38 AM
    I have a voyaguer legend paired to my passport. I don't need the exact functionality the OP is looking for but I can confirm that by putting the headset in my ear it will answer the call through the Bluetooth headset. what I don't like about it is that I cant figure out how to hit the button and tell passport to call so and so. for me its very annoying that all Bluetooth headset do not operate the same.
    Have you read the owners manual? Activating Assistant is simple.

05-22-15 04:50 AM
    Really, how do I do it from the legend? I read through the manual to configure it and update the firmware but I don't recall any mention of it. im sure it could have been easily missed.
    05-22-15 03:48 PM
    Really, how do I do it from the legend? I read through the manual to configure it and update the firmware but I don't recall any mention of it. im sure it could have been easily missed.
    Press and hold the button that is at the end of the boom mic until you hear a "bloop" type sound. That will activate the Assistant. That is the same button you hold and press to pair it with the phone.
    Make sure you have Assistant configure correctly, and when you paired the phone you gave the Legend permission to have access to your contacts.

Here: https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=EtoVw2BL

Last edited by Smokeaire; 05-23-15 at 09:12 AM.
    05-23-15 06:00 AM
    Similar issue here.

I have a blacberry z10 and a plantronics voyager edge.
    For a very long time, the call used to go to the phone when i put the phone to my ear immediately after answering. I was perfectly happy with this behaviour because I could choose every time how I want to have my call, through the phone or through the plantronics.
    Then at some point, this feature stopped working, and the call went to the plantronics headset even if I put the phone to my ear and even if the plantronics is in it's case. The switch between them works if I answer with the plantronics and then put it back in it's case it will switch to the phone, but if I answer directly with the phone it will not go to the phone anymore.
    I'm not sure but I suspect this started to happen after the latest update to OS10. I am now on 10.3.somehing.
    Very dissapointing.
    Anyone have a fix ?
    05-26-15 06:44 AM
    Hey I think I found it.
    So it turns out it's Plantronics fault not Blackberrys.
    My plantronics headset thought it was on ear when taking the first call, and always on ear when not in the charging case.
    I used to have firmware version v21. I have now updated to firmare v28, and when I take the headset off my ear it will show in the app as off ear when I place it on the table, which it didn't use to do before.
    So if you have this issue try updating to the latest firmware.
    05-26-15 07:14 AM
    Hey I think I found it.
    So it turns out it's Plantronics fault not Blackberrys.
    My plantronics headset thought it was on ear when taking the first call, and always on ear when not in the charging case.
    I used to have firmware version v21. I have now updated to firmare v28, and when I take the headset off my ear it will show in the app as off ear when I place it on the table, which it didn't use to do before.
    So if you have this issue try updating to the latest firmware.
    The only firmware my updater is finding is 106.
    However this disconnect is occurring with other devices besides Plantronics. My Motorola Boom has the exact same disconnect issue as my Plantronics. So that blows your theory.

05-26-15 07:57 AM
59 123