I need the crackberry experts please

Can you please help with a problem I am having?

Plantronics Legend has sensors that connect the bluetooth device when they detect it is on your ear and disconnects when it senses you have taken it off your ear and put it down. This allows for seems transitions between the legend and the phone.

You can be on a call with the phone and switch to the bluetooth legend simply by putting it on your ear. And if you are on the legend you can take it off your ear and simply bring the phone to your ear and it takes over.

So all this works fine. But the problem I am having is when the legend is on the table and the phone rings the the call is being routed to the legend instead of the phone. or when im calling outbound the phone will dial and ring through the passport but when it connects the bluetooth kicks in and the call goes to the legend. This should not be happening unless the Legend is on my ear. The passport wont disconnect from the Legend for some reason.

I called Plantronics tech support who walked through all the usual steps and finally told me to get a new unit, which I did. But I am still having the problem. I am NOT however having this problem at all when the Legend is connected to my motox phone. so clearly it is the Passport. Plantronics does not have any reported issues of this and I have searched the forums and nobody else has reported this problem either.

So what am I doing wrong??

Passport has been turn on and off and repaired but I simply cant get it to release the bluetooth when the Legend is put down. Unless I am on a call then it works perfectly.

Please help because I love the Passport and love this feature on the Legend.
    05-11-15 05:54 PM
    Offhand, there are two ways I can think off on how the Plantronics Legend implements this. First, Plantronics turns on and off its bluetooth radio depending if the headset in your ear or not. This approach would make it work for all devices, however, it would not be seamless since it would take a second or two for the paired device to connect.

The second approach (which I believe is what Plantronics used), is that the bluetooth remains connected even if the headset is not on your ear. Now how does the call go to your headset or to your phone? A driver or an app is installed into your device/phone which then routes your call either to your handset or your plantronics. But at all times the bluetooth remains connected.

Now to my question, in your Motorola did you install any Plantronics Android app? When you put your headset down check your Motorola inthe Android settings if it is still connected to your Bluetooth. If so, then it is the app controlling the routing of the calls either to the phone or the headset.

Did you try installing that same android app to your Passport? If so, then it may not be fully working on BB10.

Hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 07:58 PM
    wow, zedd.......amazing insight. so i looked at both the MotoX and Passport and you are correct, both remained connected even when i am not using the bluetooth and talking on the phone itself. the difference being that the android knows when to allow the bluetooth headset to take over and the passport does not.

i have not installed any plantronics software on either phone.

any thoughts on why or how come the passport doesnt allow the phone to take over like the android does?
    05-12-15 09:04 AM
    When a call comes in and the Plantronics is on the table, how are you answering the phone?

For example, when using the passport with our Honda, if I answer the call using the phone, it does not use the handsfree. If I use the steering wheel controls to answer the phone, it goes to handsfree.

If I make the mistake of answering the phone, using the answer button on the phone and want it to connect to the handsfree, the phone app allows you to select bluetooth, handset or speakphone after the call is connected so you can then get the call connected where you want it.

In your case, if it goes to the Plantronics when you answer, just choose handset from the phone app to release it from the Plantronics.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 09:21 AM
    robsteve,

if the phone rings i pick up the phone and swipe to answer. then it clicks over to the legend. half the time i dont even remember the legend is on and i dont know why i cant hear the person. i can then obviously click the button to switch back to audio.

but that is not supposed to be happening as the plantroics sensors are telling the passport that its not on my ear. when using the android the legend never picks up.
    05-12-15 10:18 AM
    Sounds like a software problem. If you are answering the call with the phone rather than headset button (or in your case headset on table), it should go to the phone. Either BlackBerry or Plantronics has an error in the protocol.

It may also be a Proprietary enhancement of the Bluetooth protocol that Plantronics is using and is supported by Apple and Google, but not BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 02:32 PM
    Totally software! Just like how when you get a notification it won't go through the bluetooth, only phone calls. BB10 is still young and needs improvements.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 02:43 PM
    robsteve and passporter thanks for the input. i guess im out of luck because im not ditching the passport for the android.

guess i will just have to live with the situation.

thanks all
    05-12-15 03:04 PM
    here is the smart sensor function:

Smart Sensors enable you to:

• Answer a call simply by putting on your headset.
    • Pause streaming media by removing the headset, and resume your media by putting your headset back on.
    • Transfer call audio back and forth between the phone and headset. To do so, if you are not wearing your headset and you receive a call on your mobile phone, the audio routes to the phone. Put on the headset to transfer the audio to the headset. If you are already wearing your headset and there is an incoming call, the audio will be routed to the headset. Take off the headset to transfer the audio to the phone.

this is the only part not working:
    if you are not wearing your headset and you receive a call on your mobile phone, the audio routes to the phone
    05-12-15 05:06 PM
    Sounds like a software problem. If you are answering the call with the phone rather than headset button (or in your case headset on table), it should go to the phone. Either BlackBerry or Plantronics has an error in the protocol.

It may also be a Proprietary enhancement of the Bluetooth protocol that Plantronics is using and is supported by Apple and Google, but not BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I would say Plantronics is using a protocol that is either proprietary or not that common. Thus, Blackberry didn't include or support it yet.

Blackberry's Bluetooth support is still not that robust. I also have problems with the Bluetooth on my car (2014 peugeot 5008). But didn't have problems with a pioneer in dash car entertainment system of my other car. So I think the problem is on BlackBerry's end on their software.

BTW, I also use a Plantronic's Backbeat Pro 2 however it doesn't have your auto route function. That's why I don't have any problems. You have one very nice bluetooth earpiece.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Zedd88; 05-13-15 at 06:23 AM.
    05-12-15 07:51 PM
    thanks Zedd. just wish it would work with the Passport
    05-13-15 12:58 PM
    I have 2 AT&T passports and both behave differently with my Legend.

The first one does the same thing that the OP says. This one has the 10.3.2.500 leak installed. I've also been having problems with other bluetooth devices with it.

The second does what it's supposed to do; not route the call to the headset when it's off. This one has the OS shipped with the phone. This has no problems with other bluetooth devices.

I'm thinking it could be a software issue at this point. Have any other members experienced bluetooth problems after loading 10.3.2?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 01:43 PM
    hmmm, im running 10.3.1.1779

what version is running on the passport that works?
    05-13-15 02:31 PM
    I have the same phone and the same headset - I also have the issue (but don't see it as a problem).

If someone calls your passport, will it answer by putting your earpiece on? Mine will.....
    05-13-15 02:45 PM
    hey james you are right, its not a big enough problem that i would ditch either the passport or the legend but it would be great to find a solution.

yes, it will pick up by putting my earpiece on and disconnect if i take the earpiece off. just wont stay disconnected after the call.

was really just hoping that it was a setting but as many have suggested it appears to be the software. especially considering j quimson has it working on one passport but not the other.
    05-13-15 06:44 PM
    On 10.3.1.1372 it's working fine. Sorry for the late reply. Did you update the Legend?

I think I have both ends of the spectrum. Working as it should with 10.3.1 and really buggy with 10.3.2. Once another update on 10.3.2 comes out I'll try it again and keep you posted.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 09:33 PM
    thanks J, no worries.

i did try to update the legend but it said latest firmware was already installed.
    05-13-15 10:16 PM
    If you play music (or radio/youtube/etc) does that always play on your plantronics?

Answering the call tells me that the ear sensor is working okay

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 02:09 AM
    I've loaded 10.3.2.680 on the first phone and my bluetooth devices still act a bit weird, disconnecting and connecting randomly. It still might be a software issue but I'm leaning more towards a defective bluetooth radio on my phone now. I'll give it a few more tries and then decide whether to send my phone back.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 10:48 AM
    I have the same issue with my Legend and Passport. I'm not convinced it is a defect in the phone. Maybe I just don't want to try to return it to Amazon, but there does seem to be a lot of issues with Plantronics and BB. It might just be easier to buy a different bluetooth product and test the Passport with that first.

Posted using my BlackBerry Passport.
    05-14-15 11:24 AM
    It's not just plantronics for me, jawbone and cambridgeworks bluetooth stereo speakers too. Although it happens more with the plantronics headset. Maybe I'll do a wipe of the phonne and re install my OS.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 11:36 AM
    This is a variation of what I posted on Findings and Fixes for 10.3.2.680--I just found this thread.

BT connection is the main problem I'm having with 680, and it is significant.

I have two BT devices, one, a Plantronics M165 headset that would randomly disconnect at times under 10.3.1.xxxx but not all that often. Now, under 10.3.2.500 and 680 it won't hold a connection for more than a few seconds, /except/ if I am actually on a phone call, and then it will hold for as long as I'm on the call. Making this a bit more complicated, I started using a replacement (new) unlocked Passport (old one had USB port hardware issue) at the same time I started on 10.3.2.680, so I wondered whether this could be BT hardware related rather than OS related, but given that BT works on a call, I doubt it. I contacted Plantronics, and they said it sounded like an incompatibility with the OS. I've also read here--maybe in this thread, much earlier--that Plantronics headsets don't play nice with BB.

My other BT device is the Pebble watch with Talk2 Watch. i can make this work, but it won't hold the connection, either, very well. It could be that T2W needs to be updated to work better with 10.3.2, but I think it's a problem with the watch itself not holding the BT connection with the Passport.

I'm tempted to wipe and then re-autoload 10.3.2.680, but don't particularly want to spend the time and energy required. Also, with the replacement PP I had autoloaded 500 then patched up to 680, but I did restore the Settings I had had on my old Passport that had 500 installed.

Lots of variables here, as I said in another post much earlier. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    05-17-15 11:45 AM
    I just posted the following on the Plantronic's forum:

"Yesterday I decided to run a couple tests. My wife has a Legend, using it with her Samsung SG3. She has never complained about random and frequent disconnects. We switched Legends, I reset everything on the phones and earpieces, connecting her Legend with my Passport and mine with her SG3. My Legend worked just fine with her phone and her Legend kept disconnecting with my Passport. First test complete.
    Second and third test: I went out and bought a Jabra Extreme2. I paired with my Passport and...no disconnects. I had it connected for a couple of hours without a single disconnect. Work perfectly. Well perfectly except the sound quality wasn't that great.
    I returned it and exchanged it with a Motorola Boom. Again the connection remained constant. No disconnects.
    I also connected my Plantronics BackBeat Pro. Same disconnect issue. It disconnected from my phone within about 30 seconds.*
    After exchanging comments on a couple of Blackberry sites with other BlackBerry users who are having disconnect issues with other Plantronics BT devices (not just the Legend) we concluded it is a Plantronic incompatibility with BlackBerry products. Hopefully it's a correctable firmware issue. All of the people I communicated with love their Legends and their other Plantronics products, no one wanted to switch to another product.
    I hope Plantronics looks into this Blackberry incompatibility issue and can issue a fix. I really don't want to abandon my Legend it is the best BT device I have ever used."

Notice that the disconnect issue also affected my Plantronic's Back Beat Pro headphone. So it seems to be an issue with Plantronics products in general.
    I suggest posting on the Plantronics forum. The more people report this issue the sooner a fix will be issued. Let Plantronics know there are a large number of BB users, we love our Plantronic's products and want be able to use it with our BlackBerrys.

05-18-15 05:14 AM
    i wouldent even notice that problem i usually shut my bluetooth off when i take it off ...battery saving mode
    05-18-15 07:32 AM
    I just posted the following on the Plantronic's forum:

I suggest posting on the Plantronics forum. The more people report this issue the sooner a fix will be issued. Let Plantronics know there are a large number of BB users, we love our Plantronic's products and want be able to use it with our BlackBerrys.

Smokeaire, I just spoke with Plantronics tech support, and read the guy much of what you wrote about the testing you did with your various devices, switching with your wife's headsets and phones, etc. Apparently I got through to him, because he said there was obviously an incompatibility between Plantronics devices and Blackberry phones and/or OS 10. He said he was going to send his detailed notes to engineering so they can study it. I asked if I would hear anything back from Plantronics, and he said probably not, because it was going to engineering and "they don't normally talk with customers." I had to laugh at that one. Of course they don't--that's why they went into engineering. I know the feeling well. :-)

So--I have a Marque 2 M165 headset, and its firmware cannot be upgraded. The Plantronics guy suggested that if I wanted to stick with this brand that I get a Voyager Edge. It will have the same issue with Blackberry, of course, but if they can find the problem and change the firmware, it can be updated on a Voyager.

I think that's the final answer to this issue. pending a fix from Plantronics.

Any thoughts about a Legend versus a Voyager Edge versus a Motorola headset?
    Smokeaire likes this.
    05-18-15 12:27 PM
59 123