Hi all,

Passport SE owner here. I know the limitations of the platform and the coming EOL situation within the next 12 months.

For those of you who have more technical knowledge than me, what do you estimate is the time frame for the band's that the Passport uses for phone calls will be??

My next device will probably be a Key 3 device or something when it comes out but I still may dual carry a BlackBerry 10 device for phone calls and some messaging like sms and email. I like the feel in the hand of the BlackBerry 10 phones.

I'm with Freedom Mobile in Canada, is it safe to assume that for calls and sms messages I should be able to 2-3 years just using the 4G bands?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    12-04-18 09:45 PM
    4G or not, with the Passport the "emergency calls only" issue is something more pressing to look out for in the coming while.
    12-04-18 09:55 PM
    4G or not, with the Passport the "emergency calls only" issue is something more pressing to look out for in the coming while.

Fingers crossed this device so far has been rock solid!!

Posted via CB10
    12-04-18 10:45 PM
    It happened with the OG, I know. Did anyone report it happening with the SE?

Posted via CB10
    12-05-18 10:06 PM
    What's the issue with the emergency calls, why does this happen. I have to take my Sim out every other day for it to connect

Posted via CB10
    12-06-18 09:24 AM
    What's the issue with the emergency calls, why does this happen. I have to take my Sim out every other day for it to connect

Posted via CB10
    You're lucky to still get a signal after putting back your simcard. Others completely lose theirs.
    No fix for that issue, unfortunately.
    Maybe yours is different... Loose contacts? Defective simcard?
    12-06-18 09:51 AM
    Hi all,

Passport SE owner here. I know the limitations of the platform and the coming EOL situation within the next 12 months.

For those of you who have more technical knowledge than me, what do you estimate is the time frame for the band's that the Passport uses for phone calls will be??

My next device will probably be a Key 3 device or something when it comes out but I still may dual carry a BlackBerry 10 device for phone calls and some messaging like sms and email. I like the feel in the hand of the BlackBerry 10 phones.

I'm with Freedom Mobile in Canada, is it safe to assume that for calls and sms messages I should be able to 2-3 years just using the 4G bands?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    4G will be around for awhile... don't see "bands" being an issue.
    12-06-18 10:11 AM
    You're lucky to still get a signal after putting back your simcard. Others completely lose theirs.
    No fix for that issue, unfortunately.
    Maybe yours is different... Loose contacts? Defective simcard?
    Any idea when this issue started to occur?

Just asking as I used my Passport (original) a couple of weeks ago (eg swapped my sim card back into it from my Key2) as I needed to use the Passport as a conference-speaker-phone (there were five of us round the table, and the Key2 definitely isn't as good for speaker, and seemingly microphone too).

Little concerned, as had hoped to continue to use my Passport as more than just a bedside alarm clock.
    12-06-18 10:20 AM
    So much for the "masterpiece superiority" of the Passport
    12-06-18 11:44 AM
    Any idea when this issue started to occur?
    This has been going on for awhile now. There are other threads here on CB about losing function. Personally, I believe it has to do with Passport overheating then causing a brittle and weak solder of the radio sub. this may create micro breaks in a circuit which in turn creates major problems with connections. This would also account for reports of on and off connections or eventual total loss of function. All motherboards over time are subject to degradation in this way and it's due to overheating. Maybe that's why my OG Passport (well over 4 years old now) still works great. It simply just never overheats. I don't run games/social media etc that require lots of power and heat production. I check once in awhile and right now the temperature of my Passport is a mere 22 C.
    12-06-18 12:15 PM