Hi, I'm a journalist and I want to buy a smartphone primarily to write long form articles and a book when I can't use my laptop. I know all about the BB10 shortcomings when it comes to apps.

What I wanted to know is what do you think about the typing experience in the BlackBerry Passport besides the casual long email or text messages. Do you think that in my case the pkb in the Passport is going to make a difference?

What I'm looking for is the best smartphone to write long texts, read long articles and books and - this would be a plus - stream Netflix via Chromecast.

(English is not my main language, sorry about that)

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by alexmartins; 02-08-17 at 09:32 AM.
    02-08-17 07:01 AM
    Things I like about Blackberry include scrolling pages by pressing the space bar. Never have to put my finger on the screen to move down the page.

Posted from my  Passport
    alexmartins likes this.
    02-08-17 07:06 AM
    I like sitting here and reading with the passport. I find it easier to read than a book.
    I've written letters that are much easier with the passport. I'm used to using 2 hands to do this so on my daughters phone I had to do the one finger thing...would not be writing a long letter that way. I haven't been able to get used to the virtual keyboard to write. I'm always touching it in the wrong place and losing my work.
    Then I send to computer to print.
    I guess the big thing is reading with the passport. I do a lot of that.

Jaglenn's Passport
    alexmartins likes this.
    02-08-17 08:20 AM
    I like sitting here and reading with the passport. I find it easier to read than a book.
    I've written letters that are much easier with the passport. I'm used to using 2 hands to do this so on my daughters phone I had to do the one finger thing...would not be writing a long letter that way. I haven't been able to get used to the virtual keyboard to write. I'm always touching it in the wrong place and losing my work.
    Then I send to computer to print.
    I guess the big thing is reading with the passport. I do a lot of that.

Jaglenn's Passport
    Thank you, Jaglenn!

Also I was wondering if it's comfortable to use the Passport's keyboard like a laptop - laying on a table and typing like we do on a laptop and not only with the thumbs.
    Last edited by alexmartins; 02-08-17 at 08:51 AM.
    02-08-17 08:31 AM
    Have to say that coming to BB10 was mostly for the keyboard and notifications. The virtual keyboard on the Z30 was amazing for everyday text cause it learned the words you use often. As far as creating Documents at length I have to say that the Passport is bay far the most superior device I've used bar non. The ability to move the cursor using the touch pad or selecting text for copy/cut/paste is awesome while holding the shift key. There is nothing like typing on the Passport but I will note that it does take some time for a new user to become accustom to all the tricks and typing. Definitely an optimal experience in that regard.

Don't forget you can hook up a keyboard and mouse to work it while displaying your screen on a TV As well.
    Nice tricks

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    alexmartins likes this.
    02-08-17 08:49 AM
    I have never laid it on a table and used that way. However, you could get a small little keyboard and hook it up to the phone if you wanted.

I feel like laying it down and trying to type away would be a little awkward but it may work for you.

Posted via CB10
    alexmartins likes this.
    02-08-17 08:51 AM
    Have to say that coming to BB10 was mostly for the keyboard and notifications. The virtual keyboard on the Z30 was amazing for everyday text cause it learned the words you use often. As far as creating Documents at length I have to say that the Passport is bay far the most superior device I've used bar non. The ability to move the cursor using the touch pad or selecting text for copy/cut/paste is awesome while holding the shift key. There is nothing like typing on the Passport but I will note that it does take some time for a new user to become accustom to all the tricks and typing. Definitely an optimal experience in that regard.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    Great, thanks!

I'm pretty familiar with BB10 and the Classic, I think I'll get used to the Passport's keyboard.

I guess I'm looking for a mix between an e-reader and the second best physical keyboard after a laptop.

I don't mind the app gap at all, I just want to read and type (a lot) and be able to do the basic stuff nowadays (from time to time): Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (I've used Face10 and Inst10 and I'm pretty happy with both apps).
    02-08-17 08:57 AM
    Great, thanks!

I'm pretty familiar with BB10 and the Classic, I think I'll get used to the Passport's keyboard.

I guess I'm looking for a mix between an e-reader and the second best physical keyboard after a laptop.

I don't mind the app gap at all, I just want to read and type (a lot) and be able to do the basic stuff nowadays (from time to time): Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (I've used Face10 and Inst10 and I'm pretty happy with both apps).
    It'll serve you well then. It takes a bit but the keyboard is quite nice once you get used to it and there's not a better phone for reading on.

Posted via CB10
    alexmartins likes this.
    02-08-17 09:01 AM
    I have never laid it on a table and used that way. However, you could get a small little keyboard and hook it up to the phone if you wanted.

I feel like laying it down and trying to type away would be a little awkward but it may work for you.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks!

Well, I could hook up a little keyboard, but I really don't want to travel around with more gadgets. And I don't mind the awkwardness, as long as it's not uncomfortable...
    02-08-17 09:02 AM
    Great for writing and reading, probably not for netflix because of rectangular movies fitted onto a square display. I read pdfs, Kindle has always caused problems on my passport.
    alexmartins likes this.
    02-08-17 09:09 AM
    For the purposes you have stated, and for the fact that you are already familiar with BB10 via the classic, I think the Passport would be an excellent choice.

Posted via CB10
    alexmartins likes this.
    02-08-17 09:11 AM
    Thanks for all the great replies!
    02-08-17 09:35 AM
    I don't think that would work given its size...I mean try to put your fingers on home row lol.
    I think you would have to get used to typing with both thumbs in front of the phone. It's very fast. Easy to correct stuff.
    I dunno! I can type on this all day. Any messages come across the top so you can hit them right away and answer if you want or ignore.
    I like it because I don't have to carry a small tablet any more. I use 'Read It Now' connected to pocket. I have many articles.

Jaglenn's Passport
    alexmartins likes this.
    02-08-17 09:41 AM

Here we go!
    meattray and dmlis like this.
    02-09-17 11:47 AM
    Very nice indeed sir. Welcome to the club. I type all day long and one thing that saves me time is putting all the words with apostrophes into the word substitution so that I don't need to type them. I write cant and it just turns it into can't. This is THE writer's device. Don't forget to get used to word flicking off the keyboard too.

Posted via CB10
    alexmartins likes this.
    02-10-17 05:04 AM
    Very nice indeed sir. Welcome to the club. I type all day long and one thing that saves me time is putting all the words with apostrophes into the word substitution so that I don't need to type them. I write cant and it just turns it into can't. This is THE writer's device. Don't forget to get used to word flicking off the keyboard too.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you! Great tip, I didn't know that. I'm feeling like a child unwrapping a Christmas gift. The Passport is truly a great device - it's fast and the camera is more than ok. And the keyboard is heaven. No Snapchat though (*sarcasm*).
    02-10-17 06:38 AM
    Kindle from the Amazon app store works like a charm.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 07:18 AM
    Great choice with the Stilgut case.
    Don't forget to check the stickies for tips and tricks you can do on that marvelous keyboard.

Posted from my  Passport
    alexmartins likes this.
    02-10-17 07:55 AM
    I would suggest the BlackBerry z30 instead. I know everyone here will be like wtf? But if you use it in landscape the reading experience is awesome and it has the best keyboard on any BlackBerry smartphone ever. I dont like physical keyboards that much and the word predictions on the Z30 are just amazing.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 09:02 AM
    Even at home or in the office, 95% of my emails are read and/or written on my Passport SE. Too easy.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 09:02 AM
    Congrats! Hope you love the device. It's a treat to use.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 10:02 AM
    Great info. Thanks
    02-10-17 10:07 AM
    The Passport is the best for reading and browser experience! Whenever I need the browser I alwayz grab the Passport... its like having a 47inch or 65inch tv in the basement home entertainment! Haha

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 10:33 AM
    Kindle from the Amazon app store works like a charm.

Posted via CB10
    For sure. And it's the only Android app I've seen that utilizes PKB shortcuts (spacebar to flip to the next page). Anyone seen any others?

Posted via CB10
    meattray likes this.
    02-10-17 12:50 PM
    For sure. And it's the only Android app I've seen that utilizes PKB shortcuts (spacebar to flip to the next page). Anyone seen any others?

Posted via CB10
    Yep, Playepub Book Reader from BlackBerry World is a beautiful app and I always use the spacebar. I highly recommend it (it also crosses over to the Playbook for no charge).
    02-10-17 01:45 PM
27 12