You can run offline benchmarks. Results will be the same. I encourage people to read an and tech reviews on iPhone. It will show you how good Apple hardware actually is.
    10-06-14 04:25 PM
    so i might be alone in this but i've had an iphone for the past 2 years. I never had a blackberry, however i do definitely see the pros of the os. To be honest, i've watched a lot of youtube videos, take that for what you will, iphone still beats bb10 when it comes to simplicity and design. That being said, i want a blackberry passport! The reason i want it is because literally everything is a copy of the iphone form factor (design). It really all comes down to software if you're willing to sacrifice 2 mms on thinness / build materials.

The way i look at this is the battle between microsoft and apple in the 90's. Microsoft won, debatably, because of price, compatibility of apps, marketshare, and backwards compatibility. Android and apple are basically having the same war nowadays, most app developers are trying to appeal to the biggest marketshares (ios and android) meanwhile windows and blackberry are trying to find ways to stay relevant from an app perspective. Honestly, i hope one os doesn't win out over the other because then that would be a testament to the fact that nothing has been learned in the past 20 years.

Anyway, my only argument is that even if you took away the apps, does blackberry really have the same quality of user experience to the other two os's? I would say it beats android 1 year ago, but does not beat ios. I never, ever, have to restart my phone. Seriously. And here's the other space where android/blackberry don't even come close, support. Apple stores everywhere, i don't even have to a serious problem and apple stores will replace my phone. Blackberry and android will never have this benefit in the near future, apple really is the king in retail. It's amazing really. You walk by any apple store and there are tons of people there everyday just checking out devices and getting their products fixed in less than 30 mins.

Actually, i don't have an argument. My problem is, how does blackberry answer the following questions:

1. Does blackberry have more bugs than ios or android?
    2. Does blackberry actually provide more productivity beyond screen size?
    3. Does blackberry support ota updates as soon as they come out on all devices?
    4. Does blackberry provide support for their devices in close proximity for all owners?
    5. Does blackberry really care about the consumer? If not, why not? Shouldn't all consumers be productive? (seems like a cop-out)
    6. If blackberry is not going to rely on handsets, is their software that much better? Blend is great! In the enterprise it's nothing really new, it's just that one provider is providing the solutions. Not so in the consumer world!
    7. Are blackberry handsets 'sexier' than anything else out there?
    8. Do blackberries provide comparable hardware and software from a consumer experience?

I feel like there is going to be a lot of disagreement in the top 8 questions..

Passport Benchmarks [via Geekbench]-mockit_07102014052938.jpg

z10 stl100-2 / 10.3.0.1154
    itzJustMeh, hazarder and jgill072 like this.
    10-06-14 04:30 PM
    Also screen resolution should not be brought up for Cpu comparisons. Screen resolution is for the gpu and the iPhone also has the best gpu. Passport and the iPhone 6 plus have the same number of total pixels 1440*1440 = 1920*1080.
    10-06-14 04:32 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MockIt_07102014052938.jpg 
Views:	1454 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	303669

z10 stl100-2 / 10.3.0.1154
    Hmmm at least I took the time and answered the questions.... nice meme though!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-06-14 04:39 PM
    Wanna laugh?
    The iPhone 6 destroys them all (well, I'd be interested in how the PassPort performs in the same exact test setup).

Posted via CB10
    This is the kind of speed that it matters, and every spec wh*re should get the face in this video. I don't care if specs are good or bad, I don't care if my phone has bird poo as a processor, as long as it's fast, that's all matters. Android fanboys love to brag about the specs, but ignore that they have the slowest OS. I love how the Z10, Q10, and Z30 can be very smooth and quick with only dual core processors.

(There are a lot of BB fanboys that keep bashing blackberry for the specs aswell...)
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 10-06-14 at 06:24 PM.
    10-06-14 04:42 PM
    The blackBerry OS 10 software truly multitask plus it is going to improve more and more for efficiency.

From my ? phone.
    10-06-14 05:27 PM
    Also, why is the Q10 slightly better than the Z10?
    Lower screen resolution. The Q10 only has to drive 518400 pixels (720x720), the Z10 has to drive 786432 (1024x768).
    10-06-14 05:32 PM
    Lower screen resolution. The Q10 only has to drive 518400 pixels (720x720), the Z10 has to drive 786432 (1024x768).
    Were the two different CPUs in the Z10 available at the same time? A bit of a disparity there.
    10-06-14 05:39 PM
    Well for me, i don't mind the benchmarks. Even if my bb10 device is a bit behind the competition in terms of specs, as long as it can keep up with my needs, I'm okay with it.

But it would be nice if we can have something that can also compete in the specs war too

Z10 STL100-2 / 10.3.0.1154
    10-06-14 06:43 PM
    So I might be alone in this but I've had an iPhone for the past 2 years. I never had a Blackberry, however I do definitely see the pros of the OS. To be honest, I've watched a lot of youtube videos, take that for what you will, iPhone still beats bb10 when it comes to simplicity and design. That being said, I want a blackberry passport! The reason I want it is because literally everything is a copy of the iPhone form factor (design). It really all comes down to software if you're willing to sacrifice 2 mms on thinness / build materials.

The way I look at this is the battle between Microsoft and apple in the 90's. Microsoft won, debatably, because of price, compatibility of apps, marketshare, and backwards compatibility. Android and apple are basically having the same war nowadays, most app developers are trying to appeal to the biggest marketshares (iOS and android) meanwhile windows and blackberry are trying to find ways to stay relevant from an app perspective. Honestly, I hope one OS doesn't win out over the other because then that would be a testament to the fact that nothing has been learned in the past 20 years.

Anyway, my only argument is that even if you took away the apps, does blackberry really have the same quality of user experience to the other two os's? I would say it beats android 1 year ago, but does not beat IOS. I never, EVER, have to restart my phone. Seriously. And here's the other space where android/blackberry don't even come close, SUPPORT. Apple stores EVERYWHERE, I don't even have to a serious problem and apple stores will replace my phone. Blackberry and android will never have this benefit in the near future, Apple really is the king in retail. It's amazing really. You walk by any apple store and there are tons of people there everyday just checking out devices and getting their products fixed in less than 30 mins.

Actually, I don't have an argument. My problem is, how does blackberry answer the following questions:

1. Does blackberry have more bugs than IOs or Android?
    2. Does blackberry actually provide more productivity beyond screen size?
    3. Does blackberry support OTA updates as soon as they come out on all devices?
    4. Does blackberry provide support for their devices in close proximity for all owners?
    5. Does blackberry really care about the consumer? If not, why not? Shouldn't all consumers be productive? (seems like a cop-out)
    6. If blackberry is not going to rely on handsets, is their software that much better? Blend is great! In the enterprise it's nothing really new, it's just that one provider is providing the solutions. Not so in the consumer world!
    7. Are blackberry handsets 'sexier' than anything else out there?
    8. Do blackberries provide comparable hardware and software from a consumer experience?

I feel like there is going to be a lot of disagreement in the top 8 questions..
    I have to say, I don't find iphones that sexy, I think the z10's were nicer, and the whits Z30 looks nice too, and lol, I know tons of people who have to reset their iphones, freezing up etc..

Posted via CB10
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    10-06-14 07:52 PM
    Where's the benchmark that matters? KEYBOARD!!!
    homer1475 likes this.
    10-06-14 08:35 PM
    I know GeekBench is in the app world, but the menu bar on the bottom means it is a simple Android port and not an actual BB10 coded app. This means it is running in an emulator, inside of a sandbox, inside of the BB10 OS. Performance of course will be degraded vs a native app on its ideal OS. The important tests are the BB vs BB phones to get a comparison score - not the phone vs phone tests. This would be like running a nice fast benchmark natively on a linux Laptop, then running the windows version inside of an instance of WINE (windows emulator) on that same laptop. Significantly lower results.

Second lap of that test "manual" test is horribly misleading as well. iPhone does not truly multitask in the normal sense. It takes screenshots of apps when minimizing, then loads the screenshot before reloading the app. This gives the impression of an instant app maximizing, but in reality it is the old info literally just pasted on the screen while the app reloads. This is easy to test - run a web browser with a timer or countdown and when you minimize it and restore it a minute later you will see the wrong time for a second or two before it reloads the actual site. This test works flawlessly on my passport - the tile will show the frozen info from the second I minimize it, but as SOON as I maximize it the correct time will show.

Not a huge difference, but that false app loading done 10 times back to back leads to a significant speed difference in that lap test.

It makes sense when you add the total memory usage of the apps used and notice they would be using well over the whole 1GB limit on the IP6 - even with a clean boot ios7 uses around 300mb, so we are talking only ~600-700mb free RAM. It would be impossible to truly multitask with that low memory, even using their tricks like on the fly RAM compression.

iOS is a surprisingly elegant OS on the tech side, and gives impressive performance for its hardware. There are a lot of reasons to not like the iPhone 6, but raw processing speed is not one of them.
    Playbook007 likes this.
    10-06-14 09:15 PM
    Where's the benchmark that matters? KEYBOARD!!!
    All the competitors already quit, no one's able to make a decent one, they only know how to make straight glass.
    10-06-14 09:22 PM
    I know GeekBench is in the app world, but the menu bar on the bottom means it is a simple Android port and not an actual BB10 coded app. This means it is running in an emulator, inside of a sandbox, inside of the BB10 OS. Performance of course will be degraded vs a native app on its ideal OS.
    Geekbench for android uses native code. They aren't that foolish.
    10-06-14 09:25 PM
    Until the iPhone can run BB10, or BlackBerry can run iOS,... then these comparisons are irrelevant.

That being said, the Passport sure smokes the Z30... holy cow!

Posted via CB10
    Smaller screen and lower resolution

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 09:47 PM
    Geekbench for android uses native code. They aren't that foolish.
    Downloaded app for myself and no android sandbox menu bar in the app, it runs natively. It was just in the results overview page that was posted .

Passport performs admirably compared to other Android phones. Killing background apps will most likely net a few points but its still right there with the other high end handsets. Plus, with the efficient BB10 OS you don't need the muscle of the flagship android devices to be quicker then them navigating the OS. My Passport is significantly snappier then my friends G3 while moving around the OS (you know, actually USING the phone) even though they share almost identical specs and it only scores slightly higher then the G3 in Geekbench.
    10-06-14 10:19 PM
    Just tested opening apps on passport and 6+, it was pretty close. The 6+ was faster, but not that you would notice if you weren't comparing next to each other at all. Facebook was weird, Passport loaded faster at the start, but then was way slower loading the images. Either way, both great devices, and the speed differences are so minimal these days who cares, buy and use what device you like.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    10-06-14 10:53 PM
    my benchmark test is what it does for me...it helps me to be more efficient at tasks I must complete...thats the test I use..
    10-06-14 11:32 PM
    smaller screen, less pixels

Until the iPhone can run BB10, or BlackBerry can run iOS,... then these comparisons are irrelevant.

That being said, the Passport sure smokes the Z30... holy cow!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 11:57 PM
    hahaha this is just funny. benchmarks are a ridiculous way to "compare" how good the phone is. just use it and find out which is better for you as an individual
    blackguy07 likes this.
    10-07-14 12:06 AM
    Passport benchmarks aren't great probably due to some lack of optimization on 10.3 and the lower CPU frequency to favor batter life compared to Android Snapdragon 800/801.
    What is geekbench running on, it seems to be an android app, which means the score is for android running on top of bb10, and therefore it is pretty f* awesome...
    10-07-14 03:41 AM
    You have a new homework. Check Z10 screen resolution.

Hint: 768 x 1280
    10-07-14 03:54 AM
    This is the kind of speed that it matters, and every spec wh*re should get the face in this video. I don't care if specs are good or bad, I don't care if my phone has bird poo as a processor, as long as it's fast, that's all matters. Android fanboys love to brag about the specs, but ignore that they have the slowest OS. I love how the Z10, Q10, and Z30 can be very smooth and quick with only dual core processors.

(There are a lot of BB fanboys that keep bashing blackberry for the specs aswell...)
    I think that you misunderstand the spec situation Apple is in.
    They have THE MARKETLEADING CPU, a very solid GPU and only the RAM with 1GB is actually a bad spec.

I don't think you understand that the iPhone is a spec monster in reality, apart from the RAM.
    It offers the best real life multi-tasking experience, not just because the OS is optimised or because they are Apple.
    No, they use the best mobile CPU money can buy, and one of the best GPUs.

To say that specs don't matter, or don't matter that much, is just wrong.
    The iPhone 6/+ is basically the "living" proof, that specs are important.
    Yeah, it's just a dual core, but it's a 64 bit dual core and it just destroys 32bit quadcores.
    So of course spec matters and Apple plays in the spec war for quite some time.
    They just took another approach, compared to Android manufacturers.

While Android manufacturers use more cores, Apple uses more bits.
    It seems as though Apple's way was actually the right one, going by benchmarks and real life scenarios.

(I am the first one to point out how abysmal the specs in every BB10 device have been until the Passport. When I pay 600$ for a phone, then O expect top notch hardware and not some processor from 2 years ago because it saves BlackBerry money. The spec argument has 2 dimensions and most BlackBerry fans always try to ignore at least one:
    1) Raw Power
    Better specs mean more power. End of the story.

2) Value for money
    Better specs obviously offer a better $/performance ratio than bad specs.)

Again, it's a 720p phone vs 1080p phones. The other 2 phones have to render 30% more pixels. So with all things being equal it really isn't equal.

The Gif Exchange C001B7B16
    The iPhone only has 1GB of RAM and 2 cores less, while the resolution shouldn't affect those multitasking tests in a huge way.
    You'd also see the iPhone 6+ perform basically the same way in the same test, even though it has to push more pixels than the 6. (it does bend though, so yeah :rotfl)

But it's not like your apologetic post would surprise me.
    Everything that would prove and show (it's not like there isn't some empirical data out there, like the posted video) that Apple actually makes an excellent and multi-tasking phone, is something you can't accept.

It's OK though, we very probably all know that by now...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 10-07-14 at 07:21 AM.
    10-07-14 06:52 AM
    I can easily accept that the benchmark of the iphone 6 is faster.....but I have ordered the Passport for many other reasons!

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 07:23 AM
    I can easily accept that the benchmark of the iphone 6 is faster.....but I have ordered the Passport for many other reasons!

Posted via CB10
    Nobody should ever deny that there are reasons to get a PassPort over an iPhone!

I also wouldn't even focus that much on the PP losing to the iPhones in benchmarks, but much rather how close the PP can come, compared to previous BlackBerry hardware.
    The PP has good specs. Actually, excellent specs for a BlackBerry!
    (as long as we stay in the reference system of benchmarks)

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-07-14 07:30 AM
87 1234