I know the measurebaters out there love this stuff:

BlackBerry Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser

Single Core
    Passport Benchmarks [via Geekbench]-screen-shot-2014-10-06-1.22.21-pm.png

Multi-Core
    Passport Benchmarks [via Geekbench]-screen-shot-2014-10-06-1.23.13-pm.png

Pretty respectable scores, but it still gets crushed by the iPhone 6... (so much for having 3GB RAM)

iPhone, iPad, and iPod Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser

Single Core
    Passport Benchmarks [via Geekbench]-screen-shot-2014-10-06-1.45.11-pm.png

Multi-Core
    Passport Benchmarks [via Geekbench]-screen-shot-2014-10-06-1.47.30-pm.jpg
    10-06-14 12:48 PM
    Until the iPhone can run BB10, or BlackBerry can run iOS,... then these comparisons are irrelevant.

That being said, the Passport sure smokes the Z30... holy cow!

Also, why is the Q10 slightly better than the Z10?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 12:54 PM
    Passport benchmarks aren't great probably due to some lack of optimization on 10.3 and the lower CPU frequency to favor batter life compared to Android Snapdragon 800/801.
    10-06-14 12:55 PM
    At least we are finally competitive

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-06-14 12:56 PM
    Well, apple's iOS has been around for almost a decade longer. Their os is much slimmer than BlackBerry 10. Even stock android seems pretty light compared to bb10.

Give it a few years and you'll see huge improvements on the BlackBerry scores. I've already seen big improvements from 10.0 to 10.3 and it's only been a year and a half!

10.3.1 looks like it'll improve a lot of video slowness and camera issues. I'm expecting big performance enhancements to come along with it.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 12:59 PM
    Although people on here will vehemently deny it, the A8 is an incredible chip that is extremely tightly integrated with the OS and the compiler that Apple makes. The Apple LLVM compiler is very good at taking advantage of all the extra register space and the new armv8 instruction set that people here want to ignore.

That combination of speed and energy efficiency will be hard for anyone to match.

But compared to most other phones, the Passport's performance is really great. Yet another reason this thing is becoming quite a successful product!
    10-06-14 01:01 PM
    Ios isn't running anything when apps are closed. Bb10 has a lot more built in functions running in the background. This will affect results.

The Gif Exchange C001B7B16
    melb_me and gvs1341 like this.
    10-06-14 01:03 PM
    Between this response:
    Although people on here will vehemently deny it, the A8 is an incredible chip that is extremely tightly integrated with the OS and the compiler that Apple makes. The Apple LLVM compiler is very good at taking advantage of all the extra register space and the new armv8 instruction set that people here want to ignore.

That combination of speed and energy efficiency will be hard for anyone to match.

But compared to most other phones, the Passport's performance is really great. Yet another reason this thing is becoming quite a successful product!
    And this response:
    Ios isn't running anything when apps are closed. Bb10 has a lot more built in functions running in the background. This will affect results.

I am definitely of the opinion that the user "app_Developer" is far closer to the truth.

But overall, I really love this post:
    At least we are finally competitive

So much truth, relief and realism in such a small amount of words.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 10-06-14 at 01:36 PM.
    10-06-14 01:12 PM
    You can run geekbench with other apps closed. The results are the same.

What BB10 functions are running that are different from the normal background functions on other phones?
    mikeo007 likes this.
    10-06-14 01:26 PM
    I love how contrary to whatever benchmarks are taken, some Crackberry users will go on continue pretending that the Passport has superior specs to the iPhone 6 and that the iPhone 6 has innards comparable to the Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Nexus.

Who cares what wacky things BB10 has running in the background? The end result is that BB10 provides a slower user experience relative to iPhone because of it.
    Bratza likes this.
    10-06-14 01:38 PM
    For those who wonder about the results with Battery saver activated:

Passport Benchmarks [via Geekbench]-img_20141006_195708.png

10-06-14 01:59 PM
    You just have to call it like it is...Apple has a great processor. Their single core scores destroy the latest of other top processors. Its why i never really got the "iphone has terrible specs" argument. Yeah 1GB of RAM is low but if they made a quad core processor, it would be no contest for them.

Just give credit where it is due
    kbz1960 and eyesopen1111 like this.
    10-06-14 02:11 PM
    I love how contrary to whatever benchmarks are taken, some Crackberry users will go on continue pretending that the Passport has superior specs to the iPhone 6 and that the iPhone 6 has innards comparable to the Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Nexus.

Who cares what wacky things BB10 has running in the background? The end result is that BB10 provides a slower user experience relative to iPhone because of it.
    It provides a slower experience in a benchmark app. Side by side loading apps etc you don't see a difference.

10-06-14 02:21 PM
    You just have to call it like it is...Apple has a great processor. Their single core scores destroy the latest of other top processors. Its why i never really got the "iphone has terrible specs" argument. Yeah 1GB of RAM is low but if they made a quad core processor, it would be no contest for them.

Just give credit where it is due
    Yes 1 gb is low, that is why it can't multitasking like other os'. But I do agree it has a great processor and gpu. Though the iphone6 is only 720p and 1080p, it does take more juice to run a 1440p screen.

10-06-14 02:32 PM
    Hmmmmmm.....

I have windows 8, linux and windows XP running on three similar notebooks. Windows 8 is running circles around the XP and is slightly faster than linux..... we are talking about different OS here. There is little comparison.

Apple has monster hardware in their phones for one reason: Battery saving

The idle state of the processors consumes next to no power.
    Therefore they are trying to get back to that state ASAP.

I believed that it has been established with the Z10 that it is OS dependant....

10-06-14 02:48 PM
    It provides a slower experience in a benchmark app. Side by side loading apps etc you don't see a difference.

Wanna laugh?
    The iPhone 6 destroys them all (well, I'd be interested in how the PassPort performs in the same exact test setup).

Posted via CB10
    anon8656116 and Nharzhool like this.
    10-06-14 03:00 PM
    Yes 1 gb is low, that is why it can't multitasking like other os'. But I do agree it has a great processor and gpu. Though the iphone6 is only 720p and 1080p, it does take more juice to run a 1440p screen.

This is because Apple doesn't allow true multitasking. I'm sure years back before iOS 4 was dropped there was a jailbreak multitasking tweak that allowed true multitasking in the background that was even better than iOS 4's. The phones are perfectly capable, same as android but it's just designed to suspend an app that isn't being used.

I didn't think the Passport was a true 1440p screen, it has same the pixels as a 1080p screen but since it's not a 16:9 ratio as it's width is the same as the height. The G3 is a true 1440p screen.
    10-06-14 03:00 PM
    I didn't think the Passport was a true 1440p screen, it has same the pixels as a 1080p screen but since it's not a 16:9 ratio as it's width is the same as the height. The G3 is a true 1440p screen.
    Press the two volume keys and the Passport screen capture image is 1440x1440.

edit:

Sorry, I thought you were asking about pixels, not video standards.
    10-06-14 03:06 PM
    This is because Apple doesn't allow true multitasking. I'm sure years back before iOS 4 was dropped there was a jailbreak multitasking tweak that allowed true multitasking in the background that was even better than iOS 4's. The phones are perfectly capable, same as android but it's just designed to suspend an app that isn't being used.

Erm.... the passport is 1440 but you are right. It is not 1440p.

In the end: Note4 and G3 have more screen real estate.
    But for me: it is the smallest tablet in the world.

eyesopen1111 likes this.
    10-06-14 03:10 PM
    Guys the iPhone has top of the line specs other than the amount of RAM. Having such enormous economies of scale allows them to do things that other companies can't do like design their own SoC and get priority access to the latest fab technologies that everyone else doesn't have yet. When every body else gets their CPUs on TSMC 20nm tech it will be a fair comparison but right now it's not as Qualcomm is late to the game with the Snapdragon 810 and everything prior is still on 28nm TSMC.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    10-06-14 03:18 PM
    The issue with the Apple browser has never been speed. It has always been about rendering objects properly or many times not at all. Apple made a decision a long time ago to sacrifice full web compatibility for speed. Have you never wondered why there are big blank holes on webpages render on an iPhone but not a BB10 device? Sort of like getting to the grocery store first but forgetting to bring your wallet.
    10-06-14 03:20 PM
    So I might be alone in this but I've had an iPhone for the past 2 years. I never had a Blackberry, however I do definitely see the pros of the OS. To be honest, I've watched a lot of youtube videos, take that for what you will, iPhone still beats bb10 when it comes to simplicity and design. That being said, I want a blackberry passport! The reason I want it is because literally everything is a copy of the iPhone form factor (design). It really all comes down to software if you're willing to sacrifice 2 mms on thinness / build materials.

The way I look at this is the battle between Microsoft and apple in the 90's. Microsoft won, debatably, because of price, compatibility of apps, marketshare, and backwards compatibility. Android and apple are basically having the same war nowadays, most app developers are trying to appeal to the biggest marketshares (iOS and android) meanwhile windows and blackberry are trying to find ways to stay relevant from an app perspective. Honestly, I hope one OS doesn't win out over the other because then that would be a testament to the fact that nothing has been learned in the past 20 years.

Anyway, my only argument is that even if you took away the apps, does blackberry really have the same quality of user experience to the other two os's? I would say it beats android 1 year ago, but does not beat IOS. I never, EVER, have to restart my phone. Seriously. And here's the other space where android/blackberry don't even come close, SUPPORT. Apple stores EVERYWHERE, I don't even have to a serious problem and apple stores will replace my phone. Blackberry and android will never have this benefit in the near future, Apple really is the king in retail. It's amazing really. You walk by any apple store and there are tons of people there everyday just checking out devices and getting their products fixed in less than 30 mins.

Actually, I don't have an argument. My problem is, how does blackberry answer the following questions:

1. Does blackberry have more bugs than IOs or Android?
    2. Does blackberry actually provide more productivity beyond screen size?
    3. Does blackberry support OTA updates as soon as they come out on all devices?
    4. Does blackberry provide support for their devices in close proximity for all owners?
    5. Does blackberry really care about the consumer? If not, why not? Shouldn't all consumers be productive? (seems like a cop-out)
    6. If blackberry is not going to rely on handsets, is their software that much better? Blend is great! In the enterprise it's nothing really new, it's just that one provider is providing the solutions. Not so in the consumer world!
    7. Are blackberry handsets 'sexier' than anything else out there?
    8. Do blackberries provide comparable hardware and software from a consumer experience?

I feel like there is going to be a lot of disagreement in the top 8 questions..
    10-06-14 03:35 PM
    You can run geekbench with other apps closed. The results are the same.

What BB10 functions are running that are different from the normal background functions on other phones?
    PIM Services. They're usually the number two or three battery drainer right after the display. They're BB10 unique AFAIK and they drive me nuts.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 03:42 PM

Actually, I don't have an argument. My problem is, how does blackberry answer the following questions:

1. Does blackberry have more bugs than IOs or Android?
    Answer : I would say less bugs
    2. Does blackberry actually provide more productivity beyond screen size?
    Answer: Depending on your use case. For me it is the flexibility of android together with the ease of use of iOS.... and for me: Yes
    3. Does blackberry support OTA updates as soon as they come out on all devices?
    Answer: No. Carrier updates. Except the US it is very fast. Just like with Android you have a workaround.
    4. Does blackberry provide support for their devices in close proximity for all owners?
    Answer: you need to send it in... but yes.
    5. Does blackberry really care about the consumer? If not, why not? Shouldn't all consumers be productive? (seems like a cop-out)
    Answer: The consumer does not really care about BlackBerry, therefore it is hard to tell.
    6. If blackberry is not going to rely on handsets, is their software that much better? Blend is great! In the enterprise it's nothing really new, it's just that one provider is providing the solutions. Not so in the consumer world!
    Answer: Blend is unique in a few regards..... but yeah... there have been many solutions...
    BES10 and BES12 are amazing in MDM and are better as well as cheaper than other solutions. Yet it depends on the usecase

10-06-14 03:49 PM
    Wanna laugh?
    The iPhone 6 destroys them all (well, I'd be interested in how the PassPort performs in the same exact test setup).

Posted via CB10
    Again, it's a 720p phone vs 1080p phones. The other 2 phones have to render 30% more pixels. So with all things being equal it really isn't equal.

10-06-14 03:55 PM
87 123 ...